Totemic copycat strains

Totemic

It was just a matter of time before it started happening, although I really thought it would be someone local first. 

Browsing around Google this morning having a look at how my pages and products are propagating, I noticed my Chocolate Gelato listed at the following seedbank

https://www.sunwestgenetics.com/chocolate-gelato-feminized/

It's odd since my seeds are not available internationally, and I never released my chocolate Gelato line until November last year on F2s, and fems in January, and only a really small amount was/is available. 

I'll give it to the site though... They sure do know how to spin bullshit on a strain. I'll copy the first piece and use it though, as I'm really bad with doing proper strain writeups. 

Many have questioned why I have gone the route I have with my packaging...This is the reason. 

If you are looking for any of my seeds, they are only available through the totemic website, and the listed distributors on the site. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Look, anyone can take the same genetic lineage and recreate my strains... But it won't be my selections and choices I made through the years... 

I'm also fully aware that once I've released something it isn't just mine anymore... 

I wish them well... If you building a business on lies it ain't going to last

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Stinger96 said:

I see there is some new releases on your website..

I just saw this now and went on the site... @Totemicat the rate you're pushing out crosses, i will need to change my grow style to even smaller plants so i can try all the flavours. Can't wait for spring!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CG420za said:

I just saw this now and went on the site... @Totemicat the rate you're pushing out crosses, i will need to change my grow style to even smaller plants so i can try all the flavours. Can't wait for spring!

Yeah just a few pre release available. The last of any feminized work for the next year or so...

I have many older lines that need reviving and my focus is on my Tortoni and my Chocolope NL line for the rest of the year

• Like 2

This interests me, but I am not sure how they went about this. Did they just buy a shitton of your seeds and resell as their own or did they just make a botched cross and called it Chocolate Gelato? Or is it not even the right crosses and they just selling some random strain as Chocolate Gelato?

Educate me bro. 

3 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

This interests me, but I am not sure how they went about this. Did they just buy a shitton of your seeds and resell as their own or did they just make a botched cross and called it Chocolate Gelato? Or is it not even the right crosses and they just selling some random strain as Chocolate Gelato?

Educate me bro. 

That's my point... Who knows what they selling... They sure didn't get the seeds from me. 

Chocolope NL was released for the first Growoff at F4. Yeah I gave out quite a few to everybody, but it was never commercially available except a few fems, and will only be available for the first time commercially on the F5 generation I'm working on. 

Chocolate Gelato... Man she's brand brand new..I never released F1s only released her Nov last year on F2. 

So ja... Who knows what they selling

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Totemic said:

Look, anyone can take the same genetic lineage and recreate my strains... But it won't be my selections and choices I made through the years... 

I'm also fully aware that once I've released something it isn't just mine anymore... 

I wish them well... If you building a business on lies it ain't going to last

This is the issue though.

Over the years there have been a few strains which have become very popular which lead to a lot of breeders trying to have the same strain.

So they take the parents and chuck some pollen to be able to claim it as the "same strain" but in actual fact it is not as the original cuts were not the same.

Let's use an example, let's say you have a very special pheno of a strain called ABC and you decide to cross it with a strain to Fire OG and you decide to call this new cross Alphabet OG and it does really well and is a huge hit. Everybody wants it!

Now strain ABC and Fire OG have been released to the public, so the seeds are available to pretty much anyone... But not everyone is able to get the exact pheno of ABC and Fire OG which you used... However due to the popularity other breeders will simply take any cut of ABC and Fire OG and cross it to be able to claim to have Alphabet OG... Which is not the case as it is not the original parent plants, despite the parents being from the same strains.

This is why knowing your breeders and who released what and being able to trust them is soo important and why a lot of the bulk EU seeds are in essence expensive jut.

Purple Punch is not Purple Punch - just because it has the same name does not mean what you grow will be the same. Purple punch from breeder X could be amazing! Purple punch from breeder Z could be complete utter shit.

Then on the other hand, you get people who are even more scaly and try release counterfeit seeds - I believe this happened recently with In House Genetics and their Pancake lines. There were some lines which had not yet been released, but somehow there were seeds being sold in the IHG packaging claiming to be those unreleased strains.

So where you source your seeds from is also very important!

One needs to also keep in mind the variance with phenotypes and some breeders typically just have a high morphology due to the way they breed and release their strains. So the picture for the strain looks superb, you grow out a 10 pack of seeds and end up with no plants which look remotely like what they advertise picture wise. Other breeders you have a much higher chance of getting the pheno which is what was being advertised in the picture from a pack of 10 seeds...

So to sum it up, end of the day - get to know your breeders and stick to the trusted ones and you will end up growing a lot more 🔥

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

I honestly think at least 50% out there sell you anything, SCAM you... once you have a breeder you can trust.. stick with it! 

The good part is that Cannabis testing gets cheaper and once we can list terpene profiles for a strain.. you can at least check if you are close or got something totally different... like the Charlottes Web I bought as medical seeds.. and the seeds have more THC then CBD once tested. If you think you get what you order... in a lot cases you have to rethink that idea.

Get your stuff tested.. at least you know where you stand 🤓 Something you might do too @Totemic, add the Terpene profile for your strain once finished and stable. Strangely I trust the seeds more, when they show a profile.. no hiding of BS at the end.

• Like 2

Yeah that's what's great about the advancements of the industry. Phylos.bio is so appealing to me, and would love it if a South African company would dive into this at an affordable price. 

However there are other alternatives available that cover the terpenes and cannabinoids quite well like Qure, and a few other labs. Still pricey though... 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Over the years there have been a few strains which have become very popular which lead to a lot of breeders trying to have the same strain.

So they take the parents and chuck some pollen to be able to claim it as the "same strain" but in actual fact it is not as the original cuts were not the same.

Let's use an example, let's say you have a very special pheno of a strain called ABC and you decide to cross it with a strain to Fire OG and you decide to call this new cross Alphabet OG and it does really well and is a huge hit. Everybody wants it!

Now strain ABC and Fire OG have been released to the public, so the seeds are available to pretty much anyone... But not everyone is able to get the exact pheno of ABC and Fire OG which you used... However due to the popularity other breeders will simply take any cut of ABC and Fire OG and cross it to be able to claim to have Alphabet OG... Which is not the case as it is not the original parent plants, despite the parents being from the same strains.

This is why knowing your breeders and who released what and being able to trust them is soo important and why a lot of the bulk EU seeds are in essence expensive jut.

Purple Punch is not Purple Punch - just because it has the same name does not mean what you grow will be the same. Purple punch from breeder X could be amazing! Purple punch from breeder Z could be complete utter shit.

Then on the other hand, you get people who are even more scaly and try release counterfeit seeds - I believe this happened recently with In House Genetics and their Pancake lines. There were some lines which had not yet been released, but somehow there were seeds being sold in the IHG packaging claiming to be those unreleased strains.

One needs to also keep in mind the variance with phenotypes and some breeders typically just have a high morphology due to the way they breed and release their strains. So the picture for the strain looks superb, you grow out a 10 pack of seeds and end up with no plants which look remotely like what they advertise picture wise. Other breeders you have a much higher chance of getting the pheno which is what was being advertised in the picture from a pack of 10 seeds...

So to sum it up, end of the day - get to know your breeders and stick to the trusted ones and you will end up growing a lot more 🔥

Buying seed is ALWAYS a gamble. You are NEVER guaranteed the outcomes even if the generation is considered stable. 

It is sad that low lifes try this type of thing. It could be spun as a kind of a off kilter  compliment as they'll only copy from the best. But it still doesn't mean its a good thing.

At least we know where to get the genuine article. @Totemic

My opinion....

May their nuts become infested with spidermites and their fingers turn to minora blades and fish hooks.🤬

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Buying seed is ALWAYS a gamble. You are NEVER guaranteed the outcomes even if the generation is considered stable. 
100%
Although the chances are much higher with some over others... Sort of like investments.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Either it's a crazy coincidence (which I highly doubt), or this "breeder" most likely came across you on Instagram and found inspiration for the shitty random bulk seeds they bought and are now reselling.

They honestly could be labelling random genetics as chocolate gelato. The similarities are far too obvious... you describe the line as "carrying a sweet, fruity aroma on a subtle spiciness" and they describe it as "Sweet, Fruity, Spicy". The lineage listed is of course exactly the same as well.

They look to be new on the scene, judging by their google reviews (probably fake), but are establishing themselves quite quickly by the looks of it. I get your vibe of wanting to let these guys do what they do but you don't want it to get to a point where people are wondering whether you are the counterfeiter. Maybe setting the record straight in a IG post, which you can refer people back to, might help to just make sure you get ahead of the shitstorm that may brew. Just a thought

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, 420SA said:

Either it's a crazy coincidence (which I highly doubt), or this "breeder" most likely came across you on Instagram and found inspiration for the shitty random bulk seeds they bought and are now reselling.

They honestly could be labelling random genetics as chocolate gelato. The similarities are far too obvious... you describe the line as "carrying a sweet, fruity aroma on a subtle spiciness" and they describe it as "Sweet, Fruity, Spicy". The lineage listed is of course exactly the same as well.

They look to be new on the scene, judging by their google reviews (probably fake), but are establishing themselves quite quickly by the looks of it. I get your vibe of wanting to let these guys do what they do but you don't want it to get to a point where people are wondering whether you are the counterfeiter. Maybe setting the record straight in a IG post, which you can refer people back to, might help to just make sure you get ahead of the shitstorm that may brew. Just a thought

Ja, but I just hate the drama... And insta just overflows with it...

My long term goals for my lines are not just to get into home grows... 

From next spring totemic is filling a few fields, and a few greenhouses. The brand is here to serve the local market, and an international (probably dropshipping) pop-up seedbank isn't going to damage that

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Ja, but I just hate the drama... And insta just overflows with it...

My long term goals for my lines are not just to get into home grows... 

From next spring totemic is filling a few fields, and a few greenhouses. The brand is here to serve the local market, and an international (probably dropshipping) pop-up seedbank isn't going to damage that

Fair enough bru. At least it's all documented here if any shitty accusations come to light

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Shit this is exceptionally well said man. Couldn't agree more 

• Like 1

Where there's business, there's politics.

We all know who to support and who to abort, hopefully...

This whole community is 100% behind you @Totemic and we know that you are running an ethical business model. 

There will always be rats trying to copy the hard work of others and claim it as their own. Fuck 'em. Flybys.

That is why the power of social media is so amazing. Numbties like this should be exploited and be made aware of consequences.

Get up, stand up. Stand up for your rights!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, 420SA said:

Vaild point here