• Yes
    • Not yet, but I would like to try it
    • What is a bud wash?
    • No. I tried it and disliked it
    • Sometimes, if I am not being lazy
    • Only if my plants had PM
    • No. Do not want to try it.

Do you bud wash?

I always wash my bud, after seeing how dirty bud can be I prefer to wash it.

I use a bucket with a mix of Lemon Juice and Bicarb of Soda and then I use another bucket or two of plain tap water.

Curious to see if others also wash their bud and what their reasons are for washing or not washing their bud.

Edited by PsyCLown
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Often the assumption is that a bud wash is only necessary for outdoor plants or when PM is had. Although one would be very surprised how much fine dust, hair and general fluffs can enter the average indoor grow space.

I've known about bud washing and it shows through those who have used it to be a great enhancer to one's bud, but I haven't really been that interested in doing it myself as of yet. Might just do a wash on one half of my current grow as a comparison

Edited by Ill_Evan
  • Like 2

My opinion and not facts...

Ripe trichiomes break of its stalk too easily for my liking.

Bicarb darkens pistils and changes bag appeal.

Terpines are too fragile for me to mess with... another reason I don't trim my weed.

So a bud wash is a definitely NO for me personally... cleanliness in all grow practices is sufficient for my standards. And trust me guys I love checking out my buds through a loupe. I mean who doesn't...

The irony of this topic is I had a guy send me pics today of his plant hanging and drip drying after a h2O2/water wash because he got PM and needed to salvage what he could. So you can't blame people for assuming that this practice is inherent from PM.

Cats & dogs inside and growing indoors can be a nasty mix and I think in that situation requires a wash. 

IMG-20191226-WA0004.jpg

• Agree 3

Last season I washed most of the harvest.  What I have found is that there is a definite advantage to it but what I did not like was the fact that my washed bud turned out far more pale in comparison to the un washed bud. It does not look as appealing. If at all possible I will do some propper testing this season.

:-peace

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 6:55 AM, Stinger96 said:

Last season I washed most of the harvest.  What I have found is that there is a definite advantage to it but what I did not like was the fact that my washed bud turned out far more pale in comparison to the un washed bud. It does not look as appealing. If at all possible I will do some propper testing this season.

:-peace

I find it makes the trichomes pop a bit more in terms of looks. Makes the trichomes look "fluffier" if anything.

@Mambawana I guess if you are quite rough with it, trichomes could be lost. However that applies to handling of bud in general.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I find it makes the trichomes pop a bit more in terms of looks. Makes the trichomes look "fluffier" if anything.

@Mambawana I guess if you are quite rough with it, trichomes could be lost. However that applies to handling of bud in general.

I agree with being rough with it you lose alot. I don't handle my buds or move them around alot once they hanging. I don't even trim my buds

On 12/31/2019 at 9:26 AM, Trailblazer420 said:

I have to admit, that was my concern with washing, great to see it does not affect quality. Indoor generally has less 'dirt' but there's always that rogue strand of hair or 5 that finds its way into your bud.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Yeah, with the negative pressures in my tents as soon as I open the door stuff gets sucked inside the tent.

After doing a bud wash and looking at the colour of the water, you really do not want to go back to not doing a bud wash.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Never had the need to wash off dirt ^^

But I water cure, if I had the bad luck of mold in a curing jar (hasn't happened since i ozonize my jars before use) or the weed is potent but tastes like old socks (🙄) .

(Who doesn't knows water curing: Need a big glass jar with lid to hold your weed and a fine mesh and weight to put on top (just enough to keep all submerged). The only rule you must follow, everything must!! be submerged, no weed can be above the water line or have contact with air. Rest is simple. Put the weed in, fill up very gently the jar with sterile water (i use carbon filtered and UV treated, E-Spring), put mesh and weight on top. Put it in a dark spot around 18C degrees. Change the water depending on color, first 2 days most likely 2 changes, next 3 days one.. after 5 days the water should be more or less as clear as what you filled in, if not, go on till it is. Osmotic transfer is over and your buds are done and cured. Dry as usual (stick snap).. no need to cure anymore.. when dry, is smokeable) 

The smoke will turn out extremely smooth, and i mean very very smooth.. what is the good side.. but also extremely tasteless! as with the nitrates, sugars and other nutrition,  washes terpines out too. I actually try to avoid any kind of wetting the colas during the last 4 weeks (yes they get a rain cover if needed ^^). Even the trichomes resin is lipophylic (likes to combine with fat), still washes with the water, as breaks off very easy. Not sure I would do anything to a bud, if no action is needed. So washing just because you can.. I wouldn't do. If you have muddy buds 😁 keep em out of the mud.

And for sticky fingers while harvesting.. a single drop of olive oil and cleaning your fingers or gear becomes very easy.. plus.. still can eat it ^^ wouldn't smoke it 😉 

• 1 month later...

I only wash if I had pest issues or PM. In my experience there is definitely a loss of terps after washing bud. In terms of trichomes, I have no idea and no way to really test that. Ive found that it tastes cleaner, but loses flavour if that makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have washed some buds, mostly outdoor. Gets suuuper windy where I am now and I have to say when washing the outdoor it made my bud look 10x better, couldn't even identify most of what was left in the water, smoke was cleaner and for the reason of not smoking all that other crap and I guess the feeling at the back of my head having seen all the shit that came off the bud, it all made the high much more pleasant. 

I also notice that the water turns a pale green, now I am no expert, but does that not mean that some chlorophyll leached out? Which is what we want to accomplish by a slow dry anyway? I have heard that it also actually speeds up the drying process... I don't know if anyone has ever worked with wet/dry wood, like cutting down trees for fire wood. The way to get the wood to dry quiker is to wet it hahah actually laughed at this when I heard it, but it's actually a very simple explination not very scientific at all. Also this has to mean your drying conditions have to be up to par, hanging a wet plant or any plant for that matter in a humid environment would just mean you're deliberately trying to do something stupid.

I have also washed bud grown in a greenhouse in the same windy conditions and I would say there is about 80% less crap that comes off and my experience with washing indoor was not so good. Actually made the weed look worse and wasn't even necessary since nothing came off, luckily only washed 3/4 branches.

All in all, would say a wash is actually sometimes needed, not always. Depends on the grow. Don't think it should be a thing anyone should get used to, because in some cases it will cause more harm than good. 

• Like 1

always wash my buds, 1 bucket 0.3% h2o2, 1 bicarb & lemon & then 1 plain bucket. my buds are generally ready to smoke within a week of drying. worst result i had was a H2O2 wash with 3% solution which completely annihilated the terps, after 3 months of curing it became smokeable again but absolutely no mold lol

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

So attached are pics of the water from bucket 1, bucket 2 and bucket 3 after a bud wash on all my plants. This was indoors with air intake filters.

Not too dirty. I've seen a wash from some outdoor that looked filthy. You've definitely cleaned some dirt off your bud. 

I've washed my buds a few times. You'd be surprised how much shit actually lands on your plants. I grow in a tent in my spare room and my plants had dust and one or two stray hairs. Also a tiny fly or two. I does however change the flavours. I reckon its personal preference.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CG420za said:

I've washed my buds a few times. You'd be surprised how much shit actually lands on your plants. I grow in a tent in my spare room and my plants had dust and one or two stray hairs. Also a tiny fly or two. I does however change the flavours. I reckon its personal preference.

I'm always spotting stray hairs after taking pics of my buds 🙄 hopefully haven't smoked too many..

• Like 2