DurbanPoison 4years in the making

Mr.Kaneh

My first ever seed purchase was made from dopeseeds in 2016 and only arrived late that year. 

Grew and failed some strains but always stayed well clear of touching The Dutch Passion Durban Poison pods. Till now. I have feared failure or disappointment long enough. 

I am finishing off with my last ever flowering in the grow room and prepping for moving so this promises to be a challenging grow, but persistence will suffice. I also popped Pineapple express from a bag and Peach 🍑 pure CBD to start new mothers for a different project.

Popped and planted.. this packet has been chilling in the fridge since growing was illegal illegal.. so im glad my cold storage was successful 🤞🏽 

🍑 Pure got baked on the heating element and unfortunately didnt make it. RIP 🪦 60A45E44-0715-4D43-A92F-9BB60ED3DA74.jpeg.a81cc8a915879d50e5a975a62b5bb630.jpeg

The 🍍xpress was popped earlier thus the forwardness. Noticed a small tear on one of the other guys and i fear that we might have to deal with invaders. Havent spotted any yet but will sherlock 🕵️ the situation.

BD46445D-FD0B-4D87-8B4C-F318F94E3A18.thumb.jpeg.1362e3f0eecaa8d5b537332fd27e9c18.jpeg

17D8A478-EC1A-412B-9F97-B8F211A1DE83.jpeg

7CADAFE8-A63E-48E0-A45D-0FE89ED7A2BF.jpeg

• Like 4

Just had a short email exchange with Jenna from Marijuanaseeds.co.za. They have Durban Poison as freebies and when I checked the description, I decided to write and ask not to send me those freebees.

This is why I told them not to send me those seeds:

"She was created after taking the South African landrace Durban and crossing it with our fastest flowering Skunk."

Is a LAND RACE.. and as soon as you cross it.. is NOT Durban Poison anymore. Why sell it with that name? Got changed.. very confusing habit of the breeders out there.. Names are just worth NOTHING anymore these days.. when I buy Durban Poison, I expect land race seeds.. not some crossings you did. 😤 Not just Nirvana pulls that crap.. the Land Race is called Durban Poison.. not Durban or what ever you wanna make up to fit into your plans. Sam the Skunkman cleaned the genetics in California, not even in the Netherlands... is like you see a car for sale: Porsche 911 GT3.. and when you get there, is a 911 Carrera and the seller just painted GT3 behind by hand... doesn't make it a GT3.. just because you write it there. This one is for you Nirvana 🖕 😁

We need some rules for Cannabis breeding and cultivation.. things run totally out of hand. To many have just pure profit in mind and not the love for the plant anymore. I do not understand why lying and telling not true facts became so popular. I got raised by my mom and she told me very often, lying is very bad.. these days you can be happy if you get the truth. Education took a 180 degree turn somewhere.. 

Sorry ^^ not my day hehehe just makes me mad.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

@Prom I agree with you 100%

Unfortunately we know that some breeders like to use names of strains which have a following to help with sales and those strains have little to no lie to the original name at times. Finding a proper Durban Poison is probably near impossible, if not impossible. Anything one gets now a days would have likely been crossed with other strains along the way. Finding proper landrace strains isn't as easy anymore and I believe they can be a bitch to work with as well.

As for changing the name / badge on something, once you make the change it becomes that... That is how it works... Did you not know?

If you take a Polo Vivo and put a GTI badge on it, it becomes a Polo GTI.... If you take a Citi Golf and put the R badges on it, it becomes a Golf R. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

When I was growing up there was stories about cops poisoning some massive grower's field and what survived was this mutant called durban poison. Years later google told me its a pure landrace🤨. Same with rooibaard. Was it ever other than just a name the rasta chose when the pistils were amber? Or was it a strain?  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Prom said:

Wasnt fast enough 😂

Somebody in CT wants 6 feminized Durban Skunk 😉 from Nirvana... can drive by and grab them free of charge. Send me a PM

Selecting a name can be so easy 😁

16279859284885599738872857208223.thumb.jpg.322d4789bb57be094cf9712e81d1a309.jpg

I wouldn't mind taking them off your hands and growing this amazing strain again. Weither it's Durban Poision or not its still a great strain with a citrus terpene that i really enjoyed 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 3

When I was growing up there was stories about cops poisoning some massive grower's field and what survived was this mutant called durban poison. Years later google told me its a pure landrace. Same with rooibaard. Was it ever other than just a name the rasta chose when the pistils were amber? Or was it a strain?  
We used to go fetch weed late 80's in Transkei , choice was TK or Rooibaard and the Rooibaard was the best back then , realy realy nice stuff . But who knows what's going on these days , one Rasta from Malawi comes and visit and drop one of his seeds while cleaning and wham , it's a male and it polinates a huge field , would that be Rooiawi

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So you guys are basically telling me i wasted all that effort importing these strains and then clinging on to them for 4years🤣🤣🤣 and its just because of the allure of a strain that might not even be worth the name 🤔 🧐 

i thought at least the strain hunters would sell legit genetics 🧬.

@Prom probably need more like a national breeding council, shiny ✨ stamps of certification and all the barcoding with the gps tracking 

I have never smoked nor seen a Durban Poison plant so this is purely peach fuzz territory for me

when does one know that a breeder is fuffing around? Would you have to grow an entire cycle before finding out. That is if you have the expertise. Which in my case is naught

Then i open my e-mail and now there’s purple peanut 🥜 butter…

E0484E3B-2D2D-4C6E-B17F-F3E399BE3C38.png

Edited by Mr.Kaneh

@Mr.Kaneh You gotta grow it out to see what you get.

Some breeders are more trusted than others. People have their preferences as well.

This discussion has been had a few times as well.

I personally try avoid the dutch / EU seeds, especially the cheaper ones. You may get a few diamonds, there may be some strains which they sell which are good but I feel there are better, safer bets out there in terms of spending money on seeds.

Budget also plays a role, not everyone wants to spend a couple thousand on a pack of seeds and I can fully understand that. There are good budget options out there as well. @Totemic has some very well priced seeds, Ripper Seeds as well as Worlds Strongest Strains also have decent stuff I feel.

Not every strain or pack of seeds will be great though. Also just because a pack of seeds is expensive does not mean it will be great either.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2021 at 12:27 PM, PsyCLown said:

@Mr.Kaneh You gotta grow it out to see what you get.

Some breeders are more trusted than others. People have their preferences as well.

This discussion has been had a few times as well.

I personally try avoid the dutch / EU seeds, especially the cheaper ones. You may get a few diamonds, there may be some strains which they sell which are good but I feel there are better, safer bets out there in terms of spending money on seeds.

Budget also plays a role, not everyone wants to spend a couple thousand on a pack of seeds and I can fully understand that. There are good budget options out there as well. @Totemic has some very well priced seeds, Ripper Seeds as well as Worlds Strongest Strains also have decent stuff I feel.

Not every strain or pack of seeds will be great though. Also just because a pack of seeds is expensive does not mean it will be great either.

Will do just that ✊🏾 🔥 .

To be fair Back when I got started I knew nothing about growing let alone genetics and breeding. It looked like a solid plan blowing some cash thinking I was investing not knowing that there is a network of professionals around the corner

• Like 1

Yeaa i would say support our local breeders first and foremost.

They have some gems that will go for 10 times the price on the international market.

Will also not hurt your pocket as much if you make mistakes. Living and learning is the name of the game. If you don't have much experience, the best is to grow what fits your budget and personalize your own growing style and take it from there. You will develop a connection with your plants and with time, learn what their needs are. Bless up✌️

Edited by Weskush
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, Mr.Kaneh said:

Will do just that ✊🏾 🔥 .

To be fair Back when I got started I knew nothing about growing let alone genetics and breeding. It looked like a solid plan blowing some cash thinking I was investing not knowing that there is a network of professionals around the corner

We all needed to start somewhere, I too made some silly mistakes when I first started growing.

I bought a bunch of autoflower seeds, thinking it would be easier. Luckily I had some members on the forum willing to help and was gifted some nice photoperiods to start with, along with some bagseed to try germinate.

Once you are comfortable with the growing process, if you have the money, go for some better and higher end genetics. If not, get some cuttings or find those cheaper gems from local breeders or the cheaper breeders.

For indoor, lighting makes a massive difference. Try not to skimp on lights.

Then genetics will also make a massive difference, far more of a difference then nutes, secret potions, growing medium (soil, hydro, coco) etc. I feel a lot of products are marketed to try and improve your plants, but ultimately the genetics determine how great the plant can be. The good nutes, environment and so forth just further assist the process and help the plant reach its full potential. If you want frost, no fancy expensive nutes or potions will get you there - genetics will. Just an example 🙂 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...