How do you deal with load shedding / power outages

Khakibos

Good day people ! 

Was just wondering if you guys could give me some insight as to how you handle your indoor grow when power goes out. 

-Do you simply move outside for the short while and then backside ? 

-Do you have backup power ? (what exactly do you run off the backup power ?) 

-Do you leave the plant and just wait for the power to come back on and then adjust your lighting schedule according to the hours of light missed ? 

• Like 1

The 2 hours down time doesn't really mess with the plant that much. I'm more concerned about the airflow than lights not on. Unless your load shedding is more than 3 hours and for days on end I wouldn't be too concerned for the average grower. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its not the end of the world. Some growers use the Gas Lantern ( link to the grower who has been promoting this technique for donkeys years ) technique for vegetative and flowering stages. Read up on it and you will see some different lighting schedules to use, many people say its even better and in the long run saves you money.

image_46283.jpg.678c006d3adcad244eb8b0c923511b04.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris Jay said:

Its not the end of the world. Some growers use the Gas Lantern ( link to the grower who has been promoting this technique for donkeys years ) technique for vegetative and flowering stages. Read up on it and you will see some different lighting schedules to use, many people say its even better and in the long run saves you money.

image_46283.jpg.678c006d3adcad244eb8b0c923511b04.jpg

I dont get how that would gain you 25-35% in production?

• Like 2

Auto are the best choice for load shedding, they dont care at all.

Rest i run like @SkunkPharm with batteries and solar panels. Over day time, no recharge needed, just have to lay the extention cord to the grow room from the garage. Working on a fix installetion for the grow room.

Order from China directly... way cheaper as local... i just cant agree with the 200% margine local boys put on top, makes it three times as expensive if you order on your own.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bay Seeds said:

I dont get how that would gain you 25-35% in production?

LIkewise, but many growers have been using the system successfully for sometime now. The "marketing percentage" is probably something to do with how much power you save, plus what you grow in a percentage of production me thinks.

Back to topic. Buy a Lister diesel engine with a changeover switch. Problem solved. Thump thump.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Prom said:

Order from China directly... way cheaper as local... i just cant agree with the 200% margine local boys put on top, makes it three times as expensive if you order on your own.

Received a shirt from overseas on Monday, SARS customs duty was R297 for the shirt. I think they are tightening importing controls from overseas, or just trying to make bucks. Not to sure, but never importing a shirt again.

• Like 1

Textiles have heavy tax on.... 50% i think... solar not... for sure not 200% 😛 and as long as nothing is stock... why get your order just send to china over a third person? I cant afford a full system right now, so i build it step by step on a hybrid inverter plattform, 5kw, can link more boxes if needed. First add pv panels till over capacity, then add batteries, sun out, my Eskom bill drops just with panels connected. The box mixes the input with panels preferred. Garage runs on 2 300w panels and 300ah batteries off grid. Feeds fridge, internet routers, irrigation computer and garage door... never dropped below 50% capacity during winter, so never really cycles the batteries. Already now, batteries full at 11 from what the fridge used during the night. Sommer not even here... i will increase my panel capacity till i can run lights and AC during day time, with some battery backup for the veg and mother tent on 18/6. Mother tent runs on 150watts, the veg on 480w. I like the idea of solar powered indoor weed.. at least not nuclear like now 😂

• Like 2

I fitted an inverter and 2 x 200A/h batteries. All run on extension cords. It runs 1/3 of the lights in two tents plus the extractors and oscillating fans. It can also run a dehumidifier but that reduces the battery life a bit quicker. It’s fine for 2hrs or much more if the lights are off obviously.
I have a generator which re charges the batteries if needed.

• Like 1

Received a shirt from overseas on Monday, SARS customs duty was R297 for the shirt. I think they are tightening importing controls from overseas, or just trying to make bucks. Not to sure, but never importing a shirt again.

I remember years ago I imported a Super Meat Boy t shirt and the customs was more than the shirt

As for the lights, my understanding is extra darkness shouldn’t matter, it’s more about extra light interrupting the dark cycle that causes problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pants said:

I remember years ago I imported a Super Meat Boy t shirt and the customs was more than the shirt emoji2957.png

As for the lights, my understanding is extra darkness shouldn’t matter, it’s more about extra light interrupting the dark cycle that causes problems

Is not enough light to get em into flower mode... if you have em on 12/12 flower anyhow, doesnt matter much. But your plants in veg you can stress very much. Stage 2 and 2 dark times at the wrong time can easy stress the Ladies. As 18 - 5 = 13. A week load shedding can push em into flip, even you dont want and reveg after. Weak genetics will easy respond to hermi on you.. and that is a total loss.

The cheap fix are those load shedding lights activating once power goes out, just connect it to the right power line or you funk over too. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Was thinking about this same issue over the weekend. Thinking of moving all the ones reaqdy for flower outside as its just about season for flowering looking at the outside plants.

Was wondering about just vegging indoors at 24hrs light with the 2-4hrs loadshedding giving the ladies a rest period?

In regards to loadshedding lights, how to still give them a dark period as wont they turn on when the timer switches off, giving 24hrs?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I still pump them at stage 6, no inverter no battaries no generator. but I am pushing my luck. If I'm home I open the tents, but keep the wendy dark, luckily the wendy breathes so RH only sky rockets with rainy naturally high RH times. though my IPM i do like it's my religion, I skip church, use the hour to spray my whoooooole garden, tents and outdoors even ornamental stuff, literally everything on my property gets sprayed, helps a ton with PM and pest pressure. 

light cycle.... whole different topic. but the results show in my plants. 

also helps that I have 1mx1m tents that can stand open and passively let RH out, where as with bigger tents you'll have to run a fan somehow.

anything more than stage 6 I think I'll just veg indoors and finish outdoors. 

• Like 1

We grow outdoors technically, but still use lights for various reasons.

Currently have 3x light fixtures,

20w led for germinated seeds, 48w led strips for the clones and 2x100w led for outdoor veg.(daylight extension during winter)

It requires some maneuvering during loadshedding to manage the manual timers. The 2x smaller lights are paired with (auto on) loadshedding lights. Switch them off after loadshedding, would love to automate this. (running for a year now)

The 100w(will only run 4hrs/day) will be connected to the 5k solar inverter system. Which should create a bit more autonomy, seeing as this loadshedding shit is going to get worse.

• Like 1

Just changed all my indoors to 12/12 and finishing off all the photo clone I’ve been playing with over the next while. So far been getting pretty decent flowers without any backup, but the PM has been spotted over the weekend. Some PapaJ jadam and pm mix seems to have killed it off.
Flipping everything also now allows me to keep the flower box open. The long term plan will just be to switch to autos after this is done and let there be lights when eskom allows.

4ffeb61b60d1064071ff4ba486a577b3.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 10/10/2021 at 2:19 PM, Prom said:

Auto are the best choice for load shedding, they dont care at all.

Rest i run like @SkunkPharm with batteries and solar panels. Over day time, no recharge needed, just have to lay the extention cord to the grow room from the garage. Working on a fix installetion for the grow room.

Auto are the best choice for load shedding, they dont care at all. Does this still stand true in the community?

10 hours ago, CannabisKid said:

Auto are the best choice for load shedding, they dont care at all. Does this still stand true in the community?

Yup, hasn't changed, just keep in mind, the less energy the plants get, the less potent they will be.

• Like 1