Foliars - all of them

ORGANinc.

Foliars I’m sure are a method we all use to achieves certain goals. 

So I want to know or ask the community, what does your foliar schedule look like? 

How often does one go about foliar, either IPM or biostimulants, microbials, the whole host of foliar products available.

You can spray just about anything. 

The intention either to be productive or to mend an imbalance, I think It is really effective and science has said so many times. 

I heard EPSOM SALTS a couple times this week. And I don’t doubt that one single bit. I’m tempted to try my hand lol. However my soil is buffered, quite a bit I suspect. 

Also, do you measure the ppm if using mild nutrient? Or just try make sure it’s teeny tiny? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Then spray bottles! I’m sure everyone has a bottle that just stands out from the rest? 🤣 I think the finer the mist the better 👌🏻 

I personally use what ever I need to, but it slowed down for the most part. 

- Ive been using bavueria bassiana, however you say it. Seems to work well. Although I haven’t used it again since 2nd application.

- I sprayed thricoderma either before or after no Ill effect. 

- I used aloe powder, didn’t notice any reaction from plants

- I sprayed an alfalfa tea that was specifically for foliar, I think Elaine Ingham designed it. But ya it’s nutrient dense for a spray. 

- I do spray a fulvic extract. But Im not too certain about the quality of fulvic. But plants love it. 

any body using kelpak as foliar? Or have tried?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Foliars I’m sure are a method we all use to achieves certain goals. 

So I want to know or ask the community, what does your foliar schedule look like? 

How often does one go about foliar, either IPM or biostimulants, microbials, the whole host of foliar products available.

You can spray just about anything. 

The intention either to be productive or to mend an imbalance, I think It is really effective and science has said so many times. 

I heard EPSOM SALTS a couple times this week. And I don’t doubt that one single bit. I’m tempted to try my hand lol. However my soil is buffered, quite a bit I suspect. 

Also, do you measure the ppm if using mild nutrient? Or just try make sure it’s teeny tiny? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Then spray bottles! I’m sure everyone has a bottle that just stands out from the rest? 🤣 I think the finer the mist the better 👌🏻 

I personally use what ever I need to, but it slowed down for the most part. 

- Ive been using bavueria bassiana, however you say it. Seems to work well. Although I haven’t used it again since 2nd application.

- I sprayed thricoderma either before or after no Ill effect. 

- I used aloe powder, didn’t notice any reaction from plants

- I sprayed an alfalfa tea that was specifically for foliar, I think Elaine Ingham designed it. But ya it’s nutrient dense for a spray. 

- I do spray a fulvic extract. But Im not too certain about the quality of fulvic. But plants love it. 

any body using kelpak as foliar? Or have tried?

shot for the thread man! 

i have a lot to say about foliar regimes, but wont go into too much detail just yet, lets see what the peeps have to say.

for me i like to keep it simple, i must admit that my efforts can be somewhat low and spontaneous, for example last night i found some white flies on my one plant, and found the tiniest spot of PM on another plant, so i gave them a spinosad spray and a copper soap spray separately. that should keep my ladies in check for at least a month.

i like to add copious amounts of fulvic acids to my sprays and a lil bit of kelpak, i did some research which i cant find now, where there was a control plant, a light sprayed plant and a heavy sprayed plant, they were sprayed with  5 parts fulvic and 1 part kelpak, and the results showed that the plant grew branchier and healthier with fortnightly sprays. but i spray once a month sometimes less, and only with what i think will help my situation.

i trust my plants roots and my feeding schedule so that i dont run into deficiencies therefore no need to foliar too often, more so for pest management.

i have foliar sprayed with almost every product you can think of, but found that if i K.I.S.S then things seem to go smoother.

• Humic acids - too many tiny fine particles make it hard to foliar, but i like it more than fulvic to foliar
  • Fulvic Acids - very good as a chelate function and a wetting agent
  • Kelpak - makes roots resistant to nasties and plant generally responds well in loooow doses
  • H2O2 - i found the claimed uses not very useful or effective
  • calmag - only for a deficiency
  • epsom salts - only for deficiency
  • milk - found it is useful for powdery mildew, and the milk seems to make the plant reach for the light
  • seagrow - outdoor foliar for battling plants, wasnt too effective
  • Neem - if used regularly it is useful, but there are better products
  • Pyrol - very effective at contact killing bugs, but not eggs
  • Spinosad - effective against bugs, but is systemic
  • copper soap - very effective at killing and preventing powedery mildew
  • plain water - for shits and giggles
  • emprosoil - adds useful bacteria to the leaf surface
  • sillica - im new to this one and need to learn how it works
  • compost teas - adds useful bacteria to the leaf surface
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

oh!! and you gotta invest in a decent sprayer!!!

i started like everyone with the R5 hand sprayer that you gotta keep squeezing to get it to spray...nasty nasty sprayers.

most stores with a garden section will have either a 1l or 2l or sometimes bigger, pump action pressure sprayer.

in my opinion... you need this in your tool kit

Sprayer, Pressure Sprayer, Adjustable Nozzle, FRAGRAM, 5 liter

https://leroymerlin.co.za/sprayer-5l-fragram-with-adjust-nozzel-81455497?sfdr_ptcid=32806_617_621715987&sfdr_hash=dde123ffd47581368350ba565f863cf7&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2NyFBhDoARIsAMtHtZ5jXm6uSbGWavdcm6vxJsD830X7NfzeZ01ihG8Y59HsHSQ2MZ8pYFEaAqg0EALw_wcB

image.png.1f3044b69768affebeec56ccb16ed2e7.png

https://www.builders.co.za/Garden-%26-Pets/Garden-Hand-Tools/Garden-Spray-Bottles/Garden-Master-Pressure-Sprayer-(2L)/p/000000000000392303?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2NyFBhDoARIsAMtHtZ6bcmBebKFKQYkK4TaDTpMe0NljxlXHg4zmK6zp9EjTsJaCOTVddcIaAp8bEALw_wcB

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I take a similar approach to @CreX and do not spray my plants often and not with everything under the sun. I don't really end up with deficiencies and the plants get their nutes via their roots from my feeds.

I mostly spray for IPM, however there are a few things I add into the mix occasionally which is meant to help the plants in various ways.

It can be a bit difficult and time consuming doing tests to see what actually makes a difference and what does not. Perhaps something I must spend a bit more time doing and looking into though.

I agree 100% on the pressure sprayers, one with a wand is even better though and well worth the money!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For the bugs I use neem oil and garlic alternately. I have that Spinosad too, but I only use it if there are thrips around. 

Clones get two seperate sprays of kelpak 0.5 ml and amino mix 0.25 ml while they are rooting.

large.IMG_20210602_145426.jpg.c072c7fccf1bf08169a40e0b8f74e636.jpg The bigger plants have had a single spray of fish mix and that was 2 ml per litre. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CreX said:

oh!! and you gotta invest in a decent sprayer!!!

i started like everyone with the R5 hand sprayer that you gotta keep squeezing to get it to spray...nasty nasty sprayers.

most stores with a garden section will have either a 1l or 2l or sometimes bigger, pump action pressure sprayer.

in my opinion... you need this in your tool kit

Sprayer, Pressure Sprayer, Adjustable Nozzle, FRAGRAM, 5 liter

https://leroymerlin.co.za/sprayer-5l-fragram-with-adjust-nozzel-81455497?sfdr_ptcid=32806_617_621715987&sfdr_hash=dde123ffd47581368350ba565f863cf7&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2NyFBhDoARIsAMtHtZ5jXm6uSbGWavdcm6vxJsD830X7NfzeZ01ihG8Y59HsHSQ2MZ8pYFEaAqg0EALw_wcB

image.png.1f3044b69768affebeec56ccb16ed2e7.png

https://www.builders.co.za/Garden-%26-Pets/Garden-Hand-Tools/Garden-Spray-Bottles/Garden-Master-Pressure-Sprayer-(2L)/p/000000000000392303?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2NyFBhDoARIsAMtHtZ6bcmBebKFKQYkK4TaDTpMe0NljxlXHg4zmK6zp9EjTsJaCOTVddcIaAp8bEALw_wcB

These sprayers are the business. I like the 1 with the wand for those hard to reach areas, even if doing a drench and you have the patience. I dont, but havn't had much of a choice with the limited space.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, CreX said:

shot for the thread man! 

i have a lot to say about foliar regimes, but wont go into too much detail just yet, lets see what the peeps have to say.

for me i like to keep it simple, i must admit that my efforts can be somewhat low and spontaneous, for example last night i found some white flies on my one plant, and found the tiniest spot of PM on another plant, so i gave them a spinosad spray and a copper soap spray separately. that should keep my ladies in check for at least a month.

i like to add copious amounts of fulvic acids to my sprays and a lil bit of kelpak, i did some research which i cant find now, where there was a control plant, a light sprayed plant and a heavy sprayed plant, they were sprayed with  5 parts fulvic and 1 part kelpak, and the results showed that the plant grew branchier and healthier with fortnightly sprays. but i spray once a month sometimes less, and only with what i think will help my situation.

i trust my plants roots and my feeding schedule so that i dont run into deficiencies therefore no need to foliar too often, more so for pest management.

i have foliar sprayed with almost every product you can think of, but found that if i K.I.S.S then things seem to go smoother.

• Humic acids - too many tiny fine particles make it hard to foliar, but i like it more than fulvic to foliar
  • Kelpak - makes roots resistant to nasties and plant generally responds well in loooow doses
  • milk - found it is useful for powdery mildew, and the milk seems to make the plant reach for the light

I'm a bit weary of spraying teas, obviously the fresher the tea the safer I would imagine, and less room for pathogens to invade the leaf surface. But yes to some degree you want a thriving phyllosphere in order to create a healthy competitive environment on the leaf surface, that way pests and pathogens cant take hold as easy. Plant health plays a big factor here though, the symbiotic microbes can quickly become pathogens in these cases.

15 hours ago, CreX said:

This is quite a nugget. The amount of scientist who have done this study never seizes to amaze me... Just the dosage and frequency of application was the big ticket in many cases.

First obviously nutritional integrity needed to be upheld in all plants. The ratios are all very similar it seems, Humic and fulvic for the intermediate chelation of all elements, and then kelp offering all the essential trace and some macro minerals, not forgetting all of the plant hormones. 

So many of cases found lower doses and higher frequencies worked best, but i'm in 2 minds about this, and quite intrigued at the fortnightly example you gave. Definitely worth trying. I feel like there is something to it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Twix Aphen said:

For the bugs I use neem oil and garlic alternately. I have that Spinosad too, but I only use it if there are thrips around. 

Clones get two seperate sprays of kelpak 0.5 ml and amino mix 0.25 ml while they are rooting.

large.IMG_20210602_145426.jpg.c072c7fccf1bf08169a40e0b8f74e636.jpg The bigger plants have had a single spray of fish mix and that was 2 ml per litre. 

Those are some roots man, how long has it been rooting?

Use the 5lt pump sprayers, works better outdoors and is more versatile than the smaller handheld ones. The wand helps getting in everywhere. My GM is almost 3yrs old and going strong.

Mostly using my sprayer for IPM but have Calmag and Epsom for defs, monthly maintenance via the roots.

Chilli garlic onion for aphids/whitefly

Tomato leaf alkaloid for spidermites

Margaret R for worms

Couldnt find coppersoap locally, got sorted online. Noticed a few spots of wpm during defol. Next on the cards.

• Like 3

Thanks for the tag @John A

My foliar intervals is daily Monday- Friday. 

Weekend they get no spray as I'm so busy I hardly enter the grow room. 

My experience with Epsom only came about January this year. After having a friend battle with yellow plants, he tried epsom, and in 5days his plants looked brand new. I tested it on my healthy plants and holy moses of treetrucks was I shocked. - Whoever hasn't tried it, don't be skrik just read the box and you'll be sold. 

For sprays I use the following, at absolutely random intervals, they all do good and I don't claim to have a scientific recipe for success. I also spray to a soaking wet degree.

- Cannaleaf FPJ

- Indigenous Micro Organism (self made) 

- Banana/Mango FPJ

- Fulvic (no idea what it does, just that  plants love it) 

- Epsom obvs

- ExploGrow, added into every single mix. 

- Plain water some days to "clean" the leaves off

For IPM - Neem Oil - Gets Sprayed every 2nd or 3rd mix

I spray after work as I've learnt spraying in the morning makes the leaves burn. Lights needs to be on for a good couple of hours before spraying. 

My spraycan of preference is the 750ml types, lekker small and easy to get in all nooks and crannys. One full can lasts about 2-3days of spray. 

*I don't measure PPM, Dosages or anything. Breaking head over Dilution ratios and milliliters is not my type of disco. I feel the room, be the room, vibe the room. 

IMG_20210603_155404.jpg

Edited by iGrowDagga
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

Those are some roots man, how long has it been rooting?

Thanks, I was also surprised when I picked up the cube. 

It will be 3 weeks by tomorrow. I took the dome off after 1 week and then start with the foliars. I diluted a couple of drops of dip and root into a glass and let them soak it up for 10 minutes before they go into the Rockwool.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 8:17 AM, Adansonia digitata said:

I'll check my notes this evening when I get home. 

Sorry for the delayed response. 3ml/5ltrs. I'm just winged it, and it seems to have paid off. The product was decanted form a 200ltr drum, I cant share the application rate they are using in that nursery. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2021 at 2:19 PM, CreX said:

shot for the thread man! 

Hey man.

What is the ratio of Epsom Salts foliar to be used for cal mag deficiency? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Stonedwell said:

Hey man.

What is the ratio of Epsom Salts foliar to be used for cal mag deficiency? 

I think I used it at around 0.2 to 0.3 EC, but I only did it once or twice.

@CreX What EC or PPM do you do your CalMag foliar at and perhaps any advice on the best way to use it?

Epsom Salts is Magnesium, CalMag is Calcium & Magnesium with some Nitrogen - so do not go too heavy on the CalMag foliar IMO.

• Thanks 1