Cape Town Cannabis Cup 2022

THCSA

The members we have on the forum, especially the active ones, are a tiny percentage of growers here in SA.

Unfortunately the forum is not a place where most growers with bigger operations hang out. Also a lot of them like to keep quiet and lurk instead.

Not saying we do not have any or that they aren't active on the forum, but there are growers who have been doing this for years in a larger scale and continue to do so. They've generally learn what they need to and will run their own independent tests when needed and seldom need to reach out for help or already have the contacts in place and do not require a forum to do it.

I feel there are far more newer growers on the forum and majority are home growers. Some might be larger home grows, however a homegrower none the less.

Although we're getting off topic now. I hope such an even pops up in JHB sometime, will be pretty cool!

A bit more time to prepare and get plants ready and growing will help though.

• Like 5

10 growers is a tiny percentage of growers in Capetown. That's the point I'm making.

Yes there are growers doing amazing stuff in commercial facilities and undercover brothers all over SA... with outrageous bud I'm sure, I myself have sampled many many different A-Grade bud selections from Cape town growers (many many many many growers) and all over SA! This was before I started growing. I wasn't buying cheap stuff and by the time I started growing I had sifted through a bucket list of different types of weed. They did the job and I cant knock any products off the shelf, even though when we talk about these mysterious figures, nobody can say who exactly was growing what, you just knew, Hmmm that's a lot of money for a G, but the bud does look phenomenal, and well I guess I'm high and usually I noticed it wasn't for long.

So at the end of the day, all said and done, I like my weed best, If I go to another province, id much rather smoke my own weed than paying for premium grade weed somewhere. So I take it with me no matter what.

This is my personal super biased opinion about the weed in SA, and that doesn't mean anybody should care or even take notice of what I say. Its just what I've noticed over the years.

Edited by ORGANinc.
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Hmmm that's a lot of money for a G, but the bud does look phenomenal, and well I guess I'm high and usually I noticed it wasn't for long.

So at the end of the day, all said and done, I like my weed best, If I go to another province, id much rather smoke my own weed than paying for premium grade weed somewhere. So I take it with me no matter what

Same same🙌

• Like 2
  • Fire! 1

anyone ever had a bud that could only be described as "super weed"? 😅 I know I know it's a very corny thing to say, but one of the guys I used to buy from used to have moon cheese, he still gets it sometimes. the buds literally looked like moon rocks, but it was just normal bud, it looked like there was no way it came from a plant. smoking it tasted like dab or some really really good hash, but the high lasts as long as 4 to 5 hours. 

with extracts I can smoke a fat dab every hour or so, it just vibrates my brain and makes my toes curl, but dab don't keep me high. some flower I can only smoke 2 or 3 joints a day. 

If I come across weed like that I'll buy it just to treat myself 🤤

I've asked the guy many many times to get me a cutting, but it's the same as with the hitler strain, clone only and is kept private.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

9 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

anyone ever had a bud that could only be described as "super weed"? 😅

Once, when I was in Durban. I was all Mr. Big Dick because at that time I was already smoking close to everyday, so I had kept one of the joints while another was being passed between two other guys.

I didn't finish the joint. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

10 growers is a tiny percentage of growers in Capetown. That's the point I'm making.

100%

However not everyone will be interested in entering this.

Also they will be sifting through the entries and narrowing it down to some of the better 10 entries they get. You likely won't seem oom Piet's outdoor landrace from 2019 in that list of 10 because he still has some laying around and thinks its great because it hits harder than the majut from BP. It will likely be replaced by some better entries.

We need to start somewhere, how many entries would you like for judges to sample? How much bud can a person sample in a few hours?

Not sure how big this event will be, however I do not imagine it to attract 10s of thousands of people either.

I think it is pretty cool to have such an event, if it runs well then the next one could look at taking it a step further, improving on the short falls and hopefully get more backing and a bigger turn out.

Perhaps it could be built up to an event for people throughout SA to enter some of their best shizz  - South African cannabis cup and see who can walk away with the title.

How long have these cannabis cups been going on for in SA? I see there was a Cape Town one in 2021, not sure about the previous years.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

100%

Also they will be sifting through the entries and narrowing it down to some of the better 10 entries they get. You likely won't seem oom Piet's outdoor landrace from 2019 in that list of 10 because he still has some laying around and thinks its great because it hits harder than the majut from BP. It will likely be replaced by some better entries.

We need to start somewhere, how many entries would you like for judges to sample? How much bud can a person sample in a few hours?

Not sure how big this event will be, however I do not imagine it to attract 10s of thousands of people either.

I think it is pretty cool to have such an event, if it runs well then the next one could look at taking it a step further, improving on the short falls and hopefully get more backing and a bigger turn out.

Perhaps it could be built up to an event for people throughout SA to enter some of their best shizz  - South African cannabis cup and see who can walk away with the title.

How long have these cannabis cups been going on for in SA? I see there was a Cape Town one in 2021, not sure about the previous years.

Big or small, I think there should be as many events as possible. I like the vibe this particular event is trying to set, I think all the numbers are manageable and also chill.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

100%

Yes you give fair points, how many different types of bud and quantity thereof can one judge actually smoke? and the reliability of the judging in that manner is something to also ponder. 

Look like @THCSA Says, if he had to consider everyone ones opinion, nothing would ever really get done, so for what its worth, I think it can be achieved and i'm sure a successful day will be had. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Yes you give fair points, how many different types of bud and quantity thereof can one judge actually smoke? and the reliability of the judging in that manner is something to also ponder. 

Look like @THCSA Says, if he had to consider everyone ones opinion, nothing would ever really get done, so for what its worth, I think it can be achieved and i'm sure a successful day will be had. 

Yeah, I think it will be awesome for those who attend and I feel it is great that we are getting such events in South Africa.

The more events like this the better for us I feel, brings more exposure and with time the backing will increase and the events have the opportunities to grow and improve. If 10 entrants and 100 judges do not work, learn from it and move on and improve it on the next even. Simple as that.

I do not feel it will detract from the fun for those attending or entering into the cannabis cup.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I've chatted to the organisers, and the logistics are a little crazy. Long story short... they are trying really hard to make a great event happen in a short space of time. Just remember, no matter what you do... you can't please everyone.

There are going to be some fairly big names pitching at this event, if that is your thing. It's going to be a blast!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Sorry bro, the era of smooth smoke and terpenes are over! The cool kids these days only want size and frost! 

everybody likes different things.

i know okes who wont touch bud if its not dense enough to knock their china into next week, okes who wont smoke it if it doesnt smell like she flicked her panties at you with her toes, okes who need weed to steam roll them like a potato chip and leave them incapable of simple tasks... okes who sneer at nugs if they are smaller than elmos dick...

nowdays if okes cant smell it over the phone from the plug, or if it doesnt shine like diamonds in the baggy..... they just look elsewhere and they will find what they crave

its really hard to make everyone happy lol

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

yeah I was gona ask if bud will be tested at all, because to find the best you'll need to look at numbers, but I think each competition will call for different ways of judging. this is more of a informal social event where they looking for "the crowd favourite" I guess, but you can't have the whole crowd sampling every kind of weed so they just make a judges panel. but even the judges can be anyone, so it's not like you have the best of the best cannabis connoisseurs judging for all the technical stuff. this is just a bunch of people smoking and saying what they liked best in that moment.

still not sure if they're testing the bud, maybe a certain catagory? maybe they test but don't use the numbers as the deciding factor, but for the sake of not having a plant that reads 4%THC winning over a plant with 24%THC, just cause it smells better. otherwise they might just call it "best smelling cannabis cup" or if people judging by one or two criteria only it shouldn't be called a cannabis cup, but rather "X-criteria cup" 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Very very nice, I would expect to see a lot of bud looking like this now:

However there is more to good bud than just looks :-grooving

Yeah, expecting far more frost this time. Things have changed a lot in the last few years.

16 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Sorry bro, the era of smooth smoke and terpenes are over! The cool kids these days only want size and frost! 

Sad but true. The one that won was purely on bag appeal. Could see that many folk picked it as the winner before even smelling or toking it. It was still killa weed. Just wonder if it was the best.

15 hours ago, Weskush said:

Very nice looking buds! Is that a seeded bud in the last pic..??

Yeah, had a couple of green house entries. Great spot on the pip spoor.

3 hours ago, CreX said:

everybody likes different things.

its really hard to make everyone happy lol

True that. Personally chasing terps in my grow. Strong weed is kinda becoming a given. Am preferring flavour over potency.

Edited by THCSA
Spelling errors
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

yeah I was gona ask if bud will be tested at all, still not sure if they're testing the bud, maybe a certain catagory? maybe they test but don't use the numbers as the deciding factor, but for the sake of not having a plant that reads 4%THC winning over a plant with 24%THC, just cause it smells better. otherwise they might just call it "best smelling cannabis cup" or if people judging by one or two criteria only it shouldn't be called a cannabis cup, but rather "X-criteria cup" 

Two of the sponsors are bringing their test gear for the day. Green Smoke Room Seeds have a Gemmacert and Qure have a Sage Analytics Profiler. All entrants will be tested side by side. We will announce a strongest in show. Maybe a cool trophy too.
They will be offering bud tests for the judges.

Qure have offered to run full profiles for the 2023 cup, including terp analysis. This would take a bit more notice all round next timeand is certainly on my whiteboard.

Potency was an abstract thing to judge at The Amber Cups, as the THC lines become very blurred when blazing or dabbing plenty. So yes... dimensions such as appearance, flavour/smell, burn, effect play very important roles when judging.

44 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

it's not like you have the best of the best cannabis connoisseurs judging for all the technical stuff. this is just a bunch of people smoking and saying what they liked best in that moment.

Cannabis is 420% subjective and I respect that some opinions are held higher than others. The event is open to anyone who wants to judge.
Everyone get's one vote.

You coming?

Edited by THCSA
Spelling errors
  • Like 3