420SA

Filtering an outside intake

Howzit guys

Would just like to know what you guys do to filter your intake vent. Mine is actively taking in air from outside through a 6 inch duct. How do guys filter out insects, excessive dust etc?

If i think about it in a basic DIY point of view, you could use a cone filter that cars use on there air intake and just duct it to your intake ?

Yes its not as fancy as your option but cone filters go for so cheap so i rate its worth a shot.

I just thought if it could keep your engine clean from dust and bugs it would do the same for the grow area ? 

Just a random brain fart  :sillyass

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomHill said:

I use Phresh Intake Filter 6 in x 12 in 450 CFM to clean my intake. 

When I ordered them they were R1500 incl shipping + duties. With the current exchange it is around R2000 😕

You really don't need a carbon filter to filter the incoming air, unless you live in a super polluted area.

1 hour ago, 420SA said:

Howzit guys

Would just like to know what you guys do to filter your intake vent. Mine is actively taking in air from outside through a 6 inch duct. How do guys filter out insects, excessive dust etc?

I have a stocking at the end of my duct which stops debris, insects and such getting into my fan. I don't see the point of adding another carbon filter to the incoming. My internal carbon filter is https://www.futurama.co.za/carbon-filter-150x500mm-6-x20-50mm-carbon-bed/, my tent is under constant negative pressure so you cannot smell a thing at all. Even if im standing right next to it I can't smell anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @TomHill  the phresh does look legit but I'm gonna need something a little smaller. 

@Pvt_sToNeR I've been looking at these https://accessorylab.co.za/products/homedics-hepa-filter-for-ar-10a . I actually did look at the cone filter option but they're too small

@greenkush stocking is a good go to option if there's nothing else. Would like to try use something designed for the purpose though

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 420SA said:

Thanks @TomHill  the phresh does look legit but I'm gonna need something a little smaller. 

I actually have the 6" x 8" (150mm x 200mm) option, so it is a bit shorter. You can push or pull through them, so perhaps you can make it fit your situation. 

28 minutes ago, greenkush said:

You really don't need a carbon filter to filter the incoming air, unless you live in a super polluted area.

You don't need a rope to go rock climbing, it certainly helps when you fall :-flyinghi

I cool using positive pressure to further keep nasties out, a good filter is a must for me. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 420SA said:

@Pvt_sToNeR I've been looking at these https://accessorylab.co.za/products/homedics-hepa-filter-for-ar-10a . I actually did look at the cone filter option but they're too small

@greenkush stocking is a good go to option if there's nothing else. Would like to try use something designed for the purpose though

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Shield-Intake-Exhaust-Screen/dp/B0057JE5VE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1540889300&sr=8-15&keywords=ducting+mesh

• Like 1

Whatever you put on there is going to have an effect on the pressure intake, so dont put something like a cone filter because you fan doesnt have the pull power of an engine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No doubt its not the power of an engine :classic_tongue: That cracked me up

Very good point you bring up @Batista, but still think the restriction from a cone filter wont be so bad to burn out the Fan motor. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 420SA said:

Looks great but it appears to be unavailable ☹️

I see its only shipping to the USA. I normally use a forwarding address for things like that. But in any event a stocking will work just as well

Lol 😄

Another thing you could use is the dust filter from modern computer boxes  -

https://www.wootware.co.za/lian-li-pt-af14-2b-removable-washable-dust-filter-mount-kit-for-140mm-system-fan.html

or you can use an open cell sponge thinly sliced,

or you can use medical guaze (any pharmacy)

The problem here is that the more effective your dust filter is, the faster it will clog, the more often you will have to clean it.Also, when it clogs it will reduce air pressure inside and plant s might get hot.You have to find a balance between thse 2 factors.

Edited by Batista
reasons bru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pantihose is the winner @420SA, I use it on my cab. I change it out on day 1 of flower. Stops my dog's hairs, bugs and lotsa other shit

26 minutes ago, CG420za said:

Pantihose is the winner @420SA, I use it on my cab. I change it out on day 1 of flower. Stops my dog's hairs, bugs and lotsa other shit

Agreed, a carbon filter is a very expensive method just to get rid of some hairs and dust when a 20-50R alternative will do fine.

I snatched some panty hose from my girlfriend for my passive intakes. I just got a secret jardin rev4.0 dp60 and they come with a freaking awesome filter and you cut the holes yourself and decide where you want it on your tent. Secret jardin tents are the shit but this is for passive intakes. 

I will probably use panty hose for my bigger tent when I go active 

20181026_163655.jpg

• Like 1

Pantyhose is what I use and the added advantage is you can ask your wife to get them when needed 😁

• Like 1