Hawks arrest two over dagga plantation in the Eastern Cape

Ill_Evan

Cape Town - Two suspects are expected to appear in court soon on charges of operating a dagga plantation and numerous counts of dealing in drugs in the Eastern Cape.

According to the provincial spokesperson for the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (the Hawks), Captain Yolisa Mgolodela, the suspects were arrested during an intelligence driven operation on Monday.

She said this came after officers responded to a call about a farm that was operating as a dagga plantation.

Mgolodela said a number of purchases were successfully conducted by officers and surveillance was conducted at the farm.

“On Monday ... the team proc­eeded to the farm in Lady Grey where they met a 35-year-old man who is alleged to be the consultant of the dagga farm owner who was absent at the time. The ma­in purpose of the fa­rm is to plant, cult­ivate, dry and sell dagga,” she said.

“Plants and dry dagga to the street value of R600 000 were confiscated. A R4 million worth of structure that is reported to be used in the processing of the plants was also identified.

“The in­vestigation led the team to Aliwal North where a 65-year-old man was arrested for numerous charges of dealing in dagga,” Mgolodela added.

The officers involved were from the East Lon­don-based Serious Or­ganised Crime Invest­igation (SOCI) team of the Hawks, Crime Intelligence, K9 uni­t and the Local Criminal Re­cord Centre (LCRC) in Aliwal North and Lady Grey.

The suspects arrested are aged 35 and 65 years old and are expected to appear in the Lady Grey and Aliwal North magistrate’s court soon.

The Hawks said more arrests were imminent as the investigation continued.

Link

• Sad 2

Just now, Ill_Evan said:

She said this came after officers responded to a call about a farm that was operating as a dagga plantation.

Mgolodela said a number of purchases were successfully conducted by officers and surveillance was conducted at the farm.

Seems to always be the case, the cops never just stumble on these operations, there's always some doos ratting you out.

Although it also seems these guys were a bit too trusting about who they sold to. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

"Plants and dry dagga to the street value of R600 000 were confiscated. A R4 million worth of structure that is reported to be used in the processing of the plants was also identified."

Get the fuck out of here... these reports always love to blow the prices and "equipment" out of proportion.. you can build an underground indoor set up with R4 mil WTF?  And what gram price are they using to spitball R600k? Just seems like a lot of sensationalism to make an honest operation sound more dirty and mafia like... 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I see alot of these on facebook from the SAPS. Often they throw in a firearm or two from a different case to make it look even worse....Funny part is if you know your firearms you would see it's a "stolen" police issued firearm. Fucking idiots. Plus.....I really really hate how they still use words like "dagga" or "magic mushrooms". Complete sensationalism I would agree.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, DamDave said:

Suppose it's a good time to tell my 75 year old neighbour to tone it down then.

That shit looks like the dream. As far as I am concerned, on paper, you can spin that farm into within the limits of what the current white paper regulations provide for. At a push, he could even get a few mates to say that he grows for them on their behalf because he has the land and they do not. If he hasn't got any other kak on the property, isn't stealing electricity/water, and pays his rates and taxes, I doubt anyone will give problems.

...unless they a rat. 

• Like 3

Ya I don't know, I feel like that's a serious operation, they are just shy of getting the license, which doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not bothered with people who start growing ridiculous amounts and getting caught. Now at least I think there will be a clearer line drawn in the sand as to who is cultivating for the purpose of reselling and who the craft and hobby growers are. 

If you look hard enough, articles from a couple months ago, you'll find here in WC, Hawks parading about finding some ballie with a 2,4x1,2 and 0.8x0.8 in a garage, no gun, no bullets, no other dwelms. So very possibly, they could be bolstering their services for the real Plantations, after being dicks and looking for the local goofdies

I really don't think the illegal market is going anywhere, I think its very possibly getting way bigger than ever before. We've seen how they've gone about it in the states. The illicit operations are scaled up in the desert somewhere and they go MASSIVE!

At the end of the day, if you are growing weed, and uncertain weather the amount looks somewhat questionable. NEVER FAULTER. Make sure you have these documents printed and ready to demand your right to cultivate for personal use. Otherwise, you have nothing to claim your rights. 

1168492545_SAPS-Circular-Arrest-and-detention-19.11-2(1).pdf SKM_C65819012308440-police-directive-220119 (1).pdf

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

At the end of the day, if you are growing weed, and uncertain weather the amount looks somewhat questionable. NEVER FAULTER. Make sure you have these documents printed and ready to demand your right to cultivate for personal use. Otherwise, you have nothing to claim your rights. 

Also remember, the Constitutional Court gave parliament 2 years to implement the relevant laws and regulations. That was September 2018. The State of Disaster has most certainly slowed the process, but I also think it became a bigger task for them when they started getting deeper into the proverbial weeds. 

We are really in a strange place at the moment. We got the legacy growers who already had the necessary capital at the time the SAHPRA medical research license came about and they jumped on that, or alternatively they chose to remain in the shadows. Then the encroaching hobby sector that are pushing the line between personal craft and commercial operation. We also have hydroponic stores popping up nearly every week, some just straight up sell weed under the counter, others take the growers club model and pay memberships and are "donated" their sections. Lastly, every now and then there's a 420 café or event that pops up.

I just don't see how dropping any legislation now is going to stop this beast that has been unleashed. Unless they relaunch the war on drugs in a very real way, to the point of putting real government money into it, I don't see them winning. They really gotta adapt to the reality that this plant has been integral to this land for centuries. It's not going away, and won't be controlled in the way that they want. 

There is also a general angst developing towards our government. Not just in the cannabis industry, but in all walks in life, people are getting tired of the nonsensical decisions and greed within our political leaders. Law and order is cool, but just remind yourself how we got here. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Also remember, the Constitutional Court gave parliament 2 years to implement the relevant laws and regulations. That was September 2018. The State of Disaster has most certainly slowed the process, but I also think it became a bigger task for them when they started getting deeper into the proverbial weeds. 

We are really in a strange place at the moment. We got the legacy growers who already had the necessary capital at the time the SAHPRA medical research license came about and they jumped on that, or alternatively they chose to remain in the shadows. Then the encroaching hobby sector that are pushing the line between personal craft and commercial operation. We also have hydroponic stores popping up nearly every week, some just straight up sell weed under the counter, others take the growers club model and pay memberships and are "donated" their sections. Lastly, every now and then there's a 420 café or event that pops up.

I just don't see how dropping any legislation now is going to stop this beast that has been unleashed. Unless they relaunch the war on drugs in a very real way, to the point of putting real government money into it, I don't see them winning. They really gotta adapt to the reality that this plant has been integral to this land for centuries. It's not going away, and won't be controlled in the way that they want. 

There is also a general angst developing towards our government. Not just in the cannabis industry, but in all walks in life, people are getting tired of the nonsensical decisions and greed within our political leaders. Law and order is cool, but just remind yourself how we got here. 

Above is the police directorate that was signed by sitohle on the 2018 constitutional court ruling. These 2 documents dive into deep details regarding circumstances of cultivating, possessing, transporting etc. In all circumstances the documents site that there is almost no situation where arrests are a suitable way of managing these instances (now with the new understanding of where cannabis fits in).

They are the road map for police officers/law enforcement on how to handle all situations concerning cannabis. These documents have obviously not been a topic of discussion at our local police stations, they probably haven't even seen them. Making arrest is what police have to do. It is what makes the wheels spin there. Now imagine government says nope no more arresting cannabis farmers. Its as good as taking money away from them. They can see what's happening to the illicit market better than anyone I suspect. With all our foreign investment, your words fall on deaf ears. 

Shouting and screaming for things is an earnest way to go about shit, but its not the smartest way. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Government is captured. Been like that for a bloody long time.

• Like 2