Girl not doing so well.

Ponica

I recently got a grow tent and on sunday afternoon I moved one of my plants from outside into my grow tent. The plant used to be in soil. I carefully washed off the soil and placed it in a 20L kratky system.I have 4 x 50watt full spectrum elcheapo lights running on a  18/6 schedule.

Since sunday the plant deteriorated, not sure what's wrong. Seeing everything is a new setup, problem can be all over the place.

Plant seems wilted and some leaves are yellow and and hard to pluck , they dont come off easily so it does not seem like the usual shedding.

any advice?

Untitled.png

• Like 2

Well, firstly the plant is probably in a bit of shock due to the roots being messed with.

Also I find a drastic change with the medium (like going from hydro to soil / coco or visa versa) can also put the plant into a bit of shock and it takes time to adapt.

Lastly, did you mix nutes at the correct strength and did you PH the solution correctly? PH is very important when going hydro or coco.

The plant is also busy flowering so will need a bit of time to reveg and come right. Provided the nutes and PH are fine and the roots are in the water then give it a few weeks to adapt and reveg. Once it is back in veg growth should start to explode. I'd say 2 to 3 weeks for a recovery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

eish man - you wont realize it until later on - but that move is the beginning of the end for your hydro setup.

when i tried something similar in my early hydro days, taking a plant inside from outside, washed the roots and so on - i actually did exactly what you did TBH.

first thing - plant roots are very fragile and do not take well to washing, recovery will take a while

second thing, and this is the kicker - you have brought your outside bacteria and fungi, and introduced it to your res - they will multiply, and cause shit. like im not even gonna consider any other realities for your res man, it is infected and you need to make a compost tea with the right bacteria and fungi in it or you will not experience a happy plant in that bucket ever again... even deep cleaning with bleach wont help you now - only the tea can help you now. that or buy a new bucket and new everything that touched the water in your res.

thirdly - is that an auto or a photoperiod plant? if it is an auto - it will likely not survive to give you any decent bud - if it is a photo period plant, make sure its getting 18 hours of light a day.

heres a link to a tea i have made with huge success.

https://www.420sa.co.za/topic/2631-teas-teas-teas/?do=findComment&comment=29973

stick close man - i dont mind helping you through this time

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

also to note - those stones you have there - are also contaminated with outside bacteria and fungi and will also cause the downfall of your hydro setup.

im not sure what hydro you are running, if its a sterile system or living system

if you did not know before, well... now you have a living system lol 😛

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses. Clearly I don't know what I'm doing here 🙂

Guess this is how you learn. Once before I grew a carolina reaper the same way but from seed with great success. (Outside not in a tent)

I didnt check the PH, but Im very sure I followed the nutes instructions to the point. The nutrient table is quite comprehensive and give the right amounts for various growth stages.
It is the first time I'm using this brand though.

Yes the rocks are from my garden and I even had to pick some ants off the plant with tweezers.  I will keep it going to see what will happen. In the tent I also have a male plant with the hope that it will pollinate the one in the pic.

By the way I have no idea what type plant it is. I got the seeds from someone and simply planted them.

This is also just an experiment because I  don't know if the light I have is worthy of anything. So if the plant dies its not the end of the world. I have another one outside which is much bigger than this one so it was already stunted from the start.

The aim is to try an make this one surpass the healthy one outside.

Thanks for the advice ! Lets see what happens.

Edited by Ponica
  • Like 1
  • Fire! 1

13 hours ago, Ponica said:

Thanks for the responses. Clearly I don't know what I'm doing here 🙂

Guess this is how you learn. Once before I grew a carolina reaper the same way but from seed with great success. (Outside not in a tent)

I didnt check the PH, but Im very sure I followed the nutes instructions to the point. The nutrient table is quite comprehensive and give the right amounts for various growth stages.
It is the first time I'm using this brand though.

Yes the rocks are from my garden and I even had to pick some ants off the plant with tweezers.  I will keep it going to see what will happen. In the tent I also have a male plant with the hope that it will pollinate the one in the pic.

By the way I have no idea what type plant it is. I got the seeds from someone and simply planted them.

This is also just an experiment because I  don't know if the light I have is worthy of anything. So if the plant dies its not the end of the world. I have another one outside which is much bigger than this one so it was already stunted from the start.

The aim is to try an make this one surpass the healthy one outside.

Thanks for the advice ! Lets see what happens.

come now! dont be shy 😄 we looooove pictures of any and all cannabis plants!! show us your outdoor lady man! 😄 

you can play it by ear on the inside - but do yourself a favour and read up on the teas for hydro - if you dont need it and i was wrong, then atleast you gained some tips and tricks for the day you do run into trouble - it will be an easy ride to get her big and healthy again! just gotta make sure you have the correct bacteria and fungi in your res.

all the ingredients can be be bought locally - where do you reign from ? maybe we can point you to a nearby store

• Like 1

Outside lady

222.png

and what I have in the tent

2.png

By the way why does my signature not show. Is it maybe because I don't have the rep ?

I developed my own light controller using an ESP8266 that will manage the light schedule and I have some sensors in the back of the tent that measure lux, temp and humidity and the sensor is linked to an auto generated Image showing the output which I put in my signature.

Supposed to look like this. The below is live and its updating every 1 min so when ever you refresh this page the below image will have the latest reading.

temp.php

Edited by Ponica
  • Like 3

When did you put the plant outside? It is also flowering.

Wondering if they are autos or just went out and started flowering and now need to reveg.

I'd also move the lights a bit closer to the plants. You said they were cheapies, so possibly not the highest PPFD output.

Not that veg plants need much but who knows what PPFD you're actually getting out of those lights.

As for your signature, not sure if PHP will work in a signature. Possibly only BB code.

@420SA Perhaps you can confirm?

Thanks I was thinking maybe I need to move the lights closer, I may have to extend the earth a little to make it go down a bit.

I think they may be auto flowers because I did not have to do anything special to make them start flowering.
I planted them somewhere in September this year. I'm also sure its a poor quality strain.

I just discovered the other male plants I have outside isn't actually males. I thought they had sacs , but I grabbed one with some tweezers and the sac had a seed in it ?

WTF ?  Ther's no sign of flowers. It literally looks like a male , Is it possible ?
Will post a pic tomorrow.

On 11/17/2021 at 9:49 AM, CreX said:

eish man - you wont realize it until later on - but that move is the beginning of the end for your hydro setup.

when i tried something similar in my early hydro days, taking a plant inside from outside, washed the roots and so on - i actually did exactly what you did TBH.

first thing - plant roots are very fragile and do not take well to washing, recovery will take a while

second thing, and this is the kicker - you have brought your outside bacteria and fungi, and introduced it to your res - they will multiply, and cause shit. like im not even gonna consider any other realities for your res man, it is infected and you need to make a compost tea with the right bacteria and fungi in it or you will not experience a happy plant in that bucket ever again... even deep cleaning with bleach wont help you now - only the tea can help you now. that or buy a new bucket and new everything that touched the water in your res.

thirdly - is that an auto or a photoperiod plant? if it is an auto - it will likely not survive to give you any decent bud - if it is a photo period plant, make sure its getting 18 hours of light a day.

heres a link to a tea i have made with huge success.

https://www.420sa.co.za/topic/2631-teas-teas-teas/?do=findComment&comment=29973

stick close man - i dont mind helping you through this time

Well said

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 8:57 AM, PsyCLown said:

As for your signature, not sure if PHP will work in a signature. Possibly only BB code.

@420SA Perhaps you can confirm?

@Ponica love the idea and would be great for guys to be able to track your grow in real time. Unfortunately we don't allow PHP in signatures for security reasons

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

She didn't die, I just took her out of her misery  😁 when I took the plant out it didn't form any new roots, some of the leave stayed green due to one long root that looked a bit on the dead side.
I left the bucket inside the tent as is , but later to my surprise there were 3 seedlings which was dropped by the dead plant and they popped up in between the rocks. I lost one because when I tried to move the bucket to install the wood pedestal in the picture the rocks rolled and crushed one plant. Super angry at my self!  rocks = bad idea!

1.png

Made some changes to the lights. One of the silver 100watt LED lamps failed, so I replaced, the LEDs with 2 x 50watt Red/Blue COBs and added 2 more 50 watt normal outdoor  6500K Flood lights.

2.png

They seem do be doing OK.

From the start of it all I had this Ghost pepper in there as well and its looks healthy.

3.png

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Weskush said:

Sorry bro just a bit confused on how this could happen...

Mmm, your confusion is confusing me 😁 

Thats how plants work right ?

Plant drop seed

Seed touches water

Seed sprout

Seed become seedling ect ect ect cycle repeats

• Confused 1

yeah, just look at your pepper plant, now tell me that 'plant' can just "drop seeds" and there you go? your statement is lacking some context there.  

are you saying this plant dropped 3 healthy seeds?

Untitled.thumb.png.626d64a8ee9b158688884690949726c5.png

cause for that to happen the plant needs to be pollinated. by a male that's carrying pollen already (mature male) or it made nanners cause of all the stress and pollinated itself, but if that happens it's more likely that most of the seeds produced wont be viable, you'll have around a 10%  viability rate. not 100%. especially from such a young plant in that condition. 

eitherway, this does not seem likely, and going by your statement of "plant drops seed" creates a resistance to believe what you are saying. in fact, plant does not just simply drop seed man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Ponica not trying to be a doos. Just trying to advise to the best of my limited experience😬.

Firstly i would advise to rather use clay pebbles instead of rocks. Will make your life way easier.

You are growing indoors so if i were you, i'd start over with new seeds. You have the environmental controller in your hands. There is a lot of experienced growers on this forum so just shout at any hint of doubt.

PS. That Ghost Pepper looks very nice though. I failed twice now trying to grow them so you can probably teach us something about growing hot peppers🌶. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

yeah, just look at your pepper plant, now tell me that 'plant' can just "drop seeds" and there you go? your statement is lacking some context there.  

are you saying this plant dropped 3 healthy seeds?

Untitled.thumb.png.626d64a8ee9b158688884690949726c5.png

cause for that to happen the plant needs to be pollinated. by a male that's carrying pollen already (mature male) or it made nanners cause of all the stress and pollinated itself, but if that happens it's more likely that most of the seeds produced wont be viable, you'll have around a 10%  viability rate. not 100%. especially from such a young plant in that condition. 

eitherway, this does not seem likely, and going by your statement of "plant drops seed" creates a resistance to believe what you are saying. in fact, plant does not just simply drop seed man.

This plant was flowering and pollinated from the start before I moved it from outside soil into the tent (Hydropinic bucket). Its been out side for about 2 months and it auto flowered, I have a few other seeds from this plant which I plucked using tweezers that sprouted, some of them could have  dropped when I plucked them. So yes quite possibly not dropped on their own as such but they are most definitely offsprings.

I find it hard to understand why you would think this is a lie ? This plant was full of seeds, many of them sprouted and many of them didnt because the seeds were still green.

How do these things grow in the wild ?, Are you saying they dont drop seeds at all ?

Regarding the peppers
Only advice I can give is. For super hots to sprout/grow you need stable and high temperatures, 30C to 32C , using coco coir in a coke bottle dome works for me.

Edited by Ponica

10 hours ago, Weskush said:

@Ponica not trying to be a doos. Just trying to advise to the best of my limited experience😬.

Firstly i would advise to rather use clay pebbles instead of rocks. Will make your life way easier.

You are growing indoors so if i were you, i'd start over with new seeds. You have the environmental controller in your hands. There is a lot of experienced growers on this forum so just shout at any hint of doubt.

PS. That Ghost Pepper looks very nice though. I failed twice now trying to grow them so you can probably teach us something about growing hot peppers🌶. 

I feel I dont know enough to fully commit. And the rocks is all I had at the time, I will most probably start over once I'm comfortable that I wont mess up some expensive seeds. Lesson learned on the rocks, someone also mentioned earlier on that its a bad idea due to fungus ect ect, I made a note of that .

To be honest I do pickup a hint of hostileness   (Not only from you) , But I dont think you are a doos. I only came here to learn and not to call people things.

I much prefer to teach my self or maybe learn from the US forms/friends than having to defend my self over crap. , local is not always lekke it seems.

Edited by Ponica
  • Like 1

To be honest I do pickup a hint of hostileness   (Not only from you) , But I dont think you are a doos. I only came here to learn and not to call people things.
I much prefer to teach my self or maybe learn from the US forms/friends than having to defend my self over crap. , local is not always lekke it seems.

Nah man, nothing like that, its constructive criticism, we all went through that stage and we learn as we go along.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khakibos said:

Yes, plants do just drop seeds. They don't sit there forever all snug waiting to be harvested .........

I can't believe I even had to type this out dude.

ok ok, calm down mr. khakibos 🤣  

didn't mean to hurt your feelings there

I can't believe I have to type this out dude, but did you see OP mention anything about pollenating before I made my statement? 

where the hell you ever seen a cannabis plant drop seeds without being pollenated. 

read my post again, and again and again till you read where I mentioned that op left out context. 

lol

🤓

• Haha 1

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

tell me, is this plant pollenated and seeded???? you can clearly see a swollen calyx. so tell me, what's inside?

j6ep93le1op21.thumb.jpg.6e8a23d8ebfc9b01d996c2598e8634de.jpg

now listen, I am not out to proove you wrong or whatever emotion trip you on here, I am telling you that what I see is a unhealthy plant in bad condition and a lot of what OP is saying sounds very unlikely and even if it was the case I wouldn't advise to grow those seeds, cause this is a cannabis forum where we help people to grow dank and lots of it. if someone doesn't wana be constructive don't go asking for advice in public, cause sadly not everything everyone does is right. you gotta have the gut to call shit out when you spot it. not pussyfoot and nurse these oaks like babies. I don't have time to care about someones feelings. really. 

4 minutes ago, Khakibos said:

Last time I checked the thread was about his seedlings not doing well. I honestly just feel the way you went about making that post wasn't right.

He has seedlings doing better, so why did you have to interrogate OP like that.

oh, I know. I could smell your emotions all the way from over here. doesn't smell nice. 

I'll literally hand over dank seeds, dank clones, dank flower and dank knowledge for free if one is open to indulge. but I am not going out of my way to make someone special and what not to get in their good books. 

I did nothing to OP, didn't call him anything, didn't try intimidate him. I literally just didn't believe what he was saying and that's that. I don't have to either. now, you're wasting both of our time and youth here. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ponica said:

I find it hard to understand why you would think this is a lie ? This plant was full of seeds, many of them sprouted and many of them didnt because the seeds were still green.

uh, well... I kinda mentioned that you left out context right. you completely left out the fact that it was ever pollentated before I asked how it was possible and made my statement about plants not just simply dropping seeds. they have to under go a whole phase before that can happen. leaving out context WILL ALWAYS cause confusion. 

you failed to mention it was ever pollenated, go check for yourself, this answers your question on why I wouldn't believe it. cause infact, if a plant was not pollenated IT WILL NOT DROP SEEDS EVER AND DIE WITHOUT EVER HAVING DROPPED SEEDS, yeah I know it might sound unreal to you. but that's actually something that happens in the wild too 🤣

If you interested in harvesting a good amount of good weed I would advise against spending too much time and energy on those seeds. 

if you in my area I will give you seeds or clones for free. but seriously................. 

3 hours ago, Ponica said:

How do these things grow in the wild ?, Are you saying they dont drop seeds at all ?

don't try this with me 😅 I don't for one second believe that you don't know what the word "context" or "pollenated" means.... or don't you?

we can be straight up with eachother man, but don't try make me look dom cause you failed to mentoin the plant was ever pollenated. 

• Haha 1