Diary Complete First grow - Deluxe Sugarcane & Friends

Martin7318

Started with a few seeds around 2 weeks ago, 4 of them. All bag seed.

Along with a bunch of equipment, I received 3 fresh seedlings of In-House genetics "Deluxe Sugarcane".

All 7 seedlings currently under 1 x QB-75 from GrowOpz (32cm above tallest plant), 18/6 cycle in the tent.

Soil being used is called "420 Mix" by 3Sixty.

Only feeding I have done was for the soil - Biodyne Environoc 1ml/L given for the first time with last watering. Pots seem to be holding water for 2/3 days at a time.

I'll post the back log of photo's here, the 3 bigger girls in the middle are the Deluxe seeds, the other 4 are mystery seeds.

Please comment, good, bad, happy, sad, all welcome. I'm a fast learner and eager to learn, I look forward to it!

20210810_171857.thumb.jpg.f47f69a3163544e85db6f58cf681488f.jpg

(Picture taken Yesterday 10/08)

Edited by Martin7318
  • Like 7

• Martin7318 changed the title to First grow - Deluxe Sugarcane & Friends

The last of my bag seeds to germinate (30/07). All 4 went in to a shot glass with tap water for 24hrs, there after placed in kitchen towel wet with water from said shot glass, chucked folded towel into a sandwich bag and left in the dark. Waited for tap roots to be a decent size before planting in soil *Excuse the bad picture.

20210730_204922_resized.thumb.jpg.c3b6de535adc12cbbd0f8ab4437d4a90.jpg

(30/07)

Got my equipment a day later, low and behold. The grow space! Mars Hydro 120x60x180 (Wide angle picture, screws up proportion)

20210801_201629.thumb.jpg.e1791c161e215f39c7d361d6f1eefc74.jpg

(01/08)

• Like 2

I lost 1 of my bag seeds doing something silly. Wasn't liking those decomposable pots, they were being funny 😅
Don't think I made a good decision changing pots when I did but I'm going to try keep the remaining survivor alive any way.

Seeing signs of what i believe is just under watering, hoping they will pop back up after their water last night (???)

Here's a shot of the lot of them, will post individual pics later this weekend.

20210813_213934.thumb.jpg.b009645cee4dac708d258a2803f00e64.jpg

• Like 5

First.. you will enjoy those Deluxe Sugarcanes ^^ The DS plant I got replaced the Slurricane mother. The Slurri can't compete with the DS smoke taste wise.

Second.. you waste your time with those bag seeds 😉 

Rest, looking good (Those DS plants i mean ^^), and beware over watering. They are under watered, when they lay flat on the soil that early. Lift your pots before you water, if they are feather light, top up, else wait. If your medium is to wet for to long you get lazy roots.. and that hinders grow speed. Keep your dry / wet cycle up. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Prom said:

First.. you will enjoy those Deluxe Sugarcanes ^^ The DS plant I got replaced the Slurricane mother. The Slurri can't compete with the DS smoke taste wise.

Second.. you waste your time with those bag seeds 😉 

Rest, looking good (Those DS plants i mean ^^), and beware over watering. They are under watered, when they lay flat on the soil that early. Lift your pots before you water, if they are feather light, top up, else wait. If your medium is to wet for to long you get lazy roots.. and that hinders grow speed. Keep your dry / wet cycle up. 

I had the pleasure of tasting the DS before I even thought of growing, it was damn good! And it came out of my exact setup!

I'm not too worried about the bag seeds, they're great for experiments. I don't plan to carry them full term.

Thanks for the confirmation. Over watering is scary, I'm trying to avoid it at all costs 😅

My ladies are looking rather sad and so I didn't post pics as I said. I believe it's a watering issue, I'm honestly unsure if it's too much water, too little water or maybe PH levels. There's also the fact that I have shitty soil, this has been confirmed by many now. Not helping the watering situation 😂.

I raised the pots off the floor to help with drainage and they were well dry, 6cm deep into the soil, they got some PH'd water (6.6). I plan to give the soil some Environoc once a week and I'm thinking of starting with some BioBizz Grow on the 3 main ladies. I also plan to get some Epsom salts to do a daily spray until big enough to repot into something bigger with better soil.

Thoughts and advice definitely encouraged, @CreXhas been a great help offline.

Behold the sadness:

(Sunday 15/08) Before water.

20210815_201510.thumb.jpg.4492654c74422d13a8be9d16b52198ed.jpg

(Monday 16/08) Roughly 9 hours after water.

I IMG-20210816-WA0012.thumb.jpg.31befa40c8ee172381e100e673a71ca4.jpg

• Sad 1

Hey man. I have made bad decision with soil too. Usually at the age your plants are now it might not necessarily be a deficiency but possibly a "hot" soil causing lockout. I would honestly take those plants outside in their little pots, take a hosepipe and run water through that soil (being careful to not remove or damage the plants in the soil). Basically try to wash any nutrients left behind. Flush it. Pour water through the soil and make sure you have a shitload of runoff. Some say 3x the volume of your pots. I would go more. Let them stay outside in the Sun abit to help dry the saturated soil abit. From there you can then start feeding once the plants have recovered. You can also raise your light to 50cm. I flower 30cm away from the tops. 

If you dont feel comfortable doing this to all your plants, maybe take one of the DS and flush them. See what happens. 

Good luck dude

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Grass Baas said:

Hey man. I have made bad decision with soil too. Usually at the age your plants are now it might not necessarily be a deficiency but possibly a "hot" soil causing lockout. I would honestly take those plants outside in their little pots, take a hosepipe and run water through that soil (being careful to not remove or damage the plants in the soil). Basically try to wash any nutrients left behind. Flush it. Pour water through the soil and make sure you have a shitload of runoff. Some say 3x the volume of your pots. I would go more. Let them stay outside in the Sun abit to help dry the saturated soil abit. From there you can then start feeding once the plants have recovered. You can also raise your light to 50cm. I flower 30cm away from the tops. 

If you dont feel comfortable doing this to all your plants, maybe take one of the DS and flush them. See what happens. 

Good luck dude

Thank you, dude! The advice is appreciated. Definitely something to consider if I don't see them turning around.

50cm seems quite high? Do you see something that suggests it's too close or is 50cm just the "Go to" height at this point?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GGG said:

I would suggest you get a Fresom Farms Premium Classic and repot that ladies , will safe you tons of time and headache

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

Do you think I could chuck them straight in to their 11ltr pots from here, or should I go buy some slightly larger pots than what they're in?

I'm thinking this is the best way forward.

• Like 1

Depends if you want to flower them in that size also , if so you can't veg for to long might end up watering a few times a day and you will have to feed a little more than usual . But if you want to repot again to a 20-25L you can put them in that size. No harm done that way . Some growers like to repot a few times and other just germ small and then in final. Both have pros and cons.

• Like 2

Hey dude. 

2 hours ago, Martin7318 said:

50cm seems quite high? Do you see something that suggests it's too close or is 50cm just the "Go to" height at this point?

50cm is not that far. Was just thinking of reducing possiblity of burn. 

Those plants are looking sad dude. Honestly reminds me of an early grow I did with a cheap soil that turned out hot.

I agree with @GGG about getting FF premium classic. I would however still flush them and and let them recover. Then once they have recovered and grown some roots you can transplant to FF soil. They are still very small plants. They don't need too much in the early stages. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, GGG said:

Depends if you want to flower them in that size also , if so you can't veg for to long might end up watering a few times a day and you will have to feed a little more than usual . But if you want to repot again to a 20-25L you can put them in that size. No harm done that way . Some growers like to repot a few times and other just germ small and then in final. Both have pros and cons.

Okay cool. I plan to flower in the 11ltr pots so maybe some slightly bigger pots is the better option.

15 minutes ago, The Grass Baas said:

Hey dude. 

50cm is not that far. Was just thinking of reducing possiblity of burn. 

Those plants are looking sad dude. Honestly reminds me of an early grow I did with a cheap soil that turned out hot.

I agree with @GGG about getting FF premium classic. I would however still flush them and and let them recover. Then once they have recovered and grown some roots you can transplant to FF soil. They are still very small plants. They don't need too much in the early stages. 

Thanks for the shared wisdom, I was so happy with their progress and this is just such a bummer now haha. I didn't expect a perfect first grow, so it's okay I guess.

I'll do the flush tomorrow or the day after, once pots have dried up a bit. I have to wait for payday for different pots and some soil any way.

Thanks for the advice guys! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I do flower in 15L pots also , then I do solo cup for 2-3weeks from germ , then 1L yoghurt tubs for another 2-3 weeks and repot in 15L leave for max 2 weeks then into flower. Come summer time I flower in 25 L , 15L dries to quickly

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

what's gooooood 🤠 

yeeeah that's a lock out from root damage

liking the lean towards the FF already, would be in your best interest to get a bag asap. 

I am with @The Grass Baas on flushing them in the medium they're in to get the roots a bit stronger before repot. Here is why I would say, repot always comes with some shock and in this case it will be even more because when you repot them you're going to want to remove a lot of the current soil (bark in your rhizosphere will encourage pest and diseases, and I am affraid the bark isn't the only problem here, from what the plant is telling me it does not look like the right composition for cannabis really) and in doing so you will have to put your surgical hands on for a moment and make sure you do not damage a single root when removing the soil. To ensure a successful surgery you'll need to work with healthier stronger roots. 

TWO LITTLE NB POINTS OF NOTE -

THE FLUSH NB: the area I am in I get water out the tap sitting steady at 8.5 to 9 ph, I cannot flush with that even though I am in a organic situation and people say "organic soil will buffer the ph for you" that doesn't mean I can pour 20L of 9ph water through 1L of growing medium and expect it to still be in the 5.8 - 6.2 range.... soooo just be aware of this! you know the ph of the water in your area? 

THE DRAINAGE NB: if your medium gets waterlogged you might drown the baby, as it is a very very young plant and it is very easy to drown / dampen off the little ones, you may wana pay attention to your drainage. how long does the medium stay wet throughout the pot? maybe do a little testy test, grab same size pot, fill with soil and no plant, saturate the medium and see how long it dries out? if it takes longer than 5 days (in your tent, where you will be growing, not outside in the sun) then that means you got a waterlogging issue and flushing the girls in a medium that doesn't drain well will kill them quicker than they dying right now. 

if that's the case, I'll say wait till they dried out completely, transplant right away into FF with no surgery, give just enough water for new medium to be moist (at this time the old medium should be dried out) and hope for the best. use some mycoroot when transplanting. 

🤙

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Martin7318 said:

I plan to give the soil some Environoc once a week and I'm thinking of starting with some BioBizz Grow on the 3 main ladies.

How much and what did you feed them? They roll up, not just hang.. 

I missed a bit in here, sorry, thought you are sorted 😳  most fragile state now as they fully run over their roots. Did you flush em yet? Would do that right away and repot. As you flush, you could go the radical way and just drop the plants in a bucket of rain water and wash the roots clean... veeeeery gentle, just slowly move in the water so the soil gets washed off. Then put them in fresh FF Premium Classic and just water VERY little. If the bag is fresh and still has a nice moisture content, don't water at all. Just very gently reset them.. let em rest for 2 days then feed plain water till you see they grow in size again.. go back to Biobizz feeding, 2ml Grow and Bio Heaven per liter. Always lift your pot before you feed... to heavy, wait!

And yeah ^^ what exactly did you feed them? 🤓

• Like 1

I missed a bit in here, sorry, thought you are sorted   most fragile state now as they fully run over their roots. Did you flush em yet? Would do that right away and repot. As you flush, you could go the radical way and just drop the plants in a bucket of rain water and wash the roots clean... veeeeery gentle, just slowly move in the water so the soil gets washed off. Then put them in fresh FF Premium Classic and just water VERY little. If the bag is fresh and still has a nice moisture content, don't water at all. Just very gently reset them.. let em rest for 2 days then feed plain water till you see they grow in size again.. go back to Biobizz feeding, 2ml Grow and Bio Heaven per liter. Always lift your pot before you feed... to heavy, wait!
And yeah ^^ what exactly did you feed them? 

I fully agree , wash of the soil from the roots gently and repot in FF , well @Pants does his bonsais and he handled them ruff when he cuts the roots but they always bounce back

• Like 2

Must add if you do wash of the soil from the roots , when taken out of the pot put the soil on your hand palm and move it in the water , if you hold it on the stem the soil gets heavy when placed in the water and it pulls down on the roots and you might break of fine thin roots.

• Like 1

Although I am rough with them roots, it only gets done to plants at least 5/6 nodes high. These still look way too small and fragile to be causing that amount of stress.

Have lost plants trying it this small. Just let them dry out properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Damn, the response here is almost overwhelming and has me fearing the situation here is worse than I actually thought 😂. Excuse this lengthy response as I try respond to everything here.

So I haven't done anything yet as the soil was still quite moist from their last watering. Only 2 things I've changed is raising them off the ground and I've given them 1 spray of Epsom salts (1tsp/1lt). I haven't added any more Evironoc and I haven't begun with any of my BioBizz nutrients. I don't currently have other pots or soil but if you guys think I need to take action immediately I'll go pick some up after work and begin the process.

I hope my answers below will help advise me on the exact process to follow.

8 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

what's gooooood 🤠 

yeeeah that's a lock out from root damage

liking the lean towards the FF already, would be in your best interest to get a bag asap. 

I am with @The Grass Baas on flushing them in the medium they're in to get the roots a bit stronger before repot. Here is why I would say, repot always comes with some shock and in this case it will be even more because when you repot them you're going to want to remove a lot of the current soil (bark in your rhizosphere will encourage pest and diseases, and I am affraid the bark isn't the only problem here, from what the plant is telling me it does not look like the right composition for cannabis really) and in doing so you will have to put your surgical hands on for a moment and make sure you do not damage a single root when removing the soil. To ensure a successful surgery you'll need to work with healthier stronger roots. 

TWO LITTLE NB POINTS OF NOTE -

THE FLUSH NB: the area I am in I get water out the tap sitting steady at 8.5 to 9 ph, I cannot flush with that even though I am in a organic situation and people say "organic soil will buffer the ph for you" that doesn't mean I can pour 20L of 9ph water through 1L of growing medium and expect it to still be in the 5.8 - 6.2 range.... soooo just be aware of this! you know the ph of the water in your area? 

THE DRAINAGE NB: if your medium gets waterlogged you might drown the baby, as it is a very very young plant and it is very easy to drown / dampen off the little ones, you may wana pay attention to your drainage. how long does the medium stay wet throughout the pot? maybe do a little testy test, grab same size pot, fill with soil and no plant, saturate the medium and see how long it dries out? if it takes longer than 5 days (in your tent, where you will be growing, not outside in the sun) then that means you got a waterlogging issue and flushing the girls in a medium that doesn't drain well will kill them quicker than they dying right now. 

if that's the case, I'll say wait till they dried out completely, transplant right away into FF with no surgery, give just enough water for new medium to be moist (at this time the old medium should be dried out) and hope for the best. use some mycoroot when transplanting. 

🤙

Root damage sounds like fun! 😅 Shit!

So my tap water seems to be coming out the same as yours as per my PH Meter. Between 8 and 9 ph. I have water in a big bottle I fill up and leave standing for 24 hrs minimum before pouring some in a bucket and adding PH Down to get it around 6-7. I use water from said bucket and repeat the process every watering.

As for drainage, even when watered to run off it seems to be about 3 days until top layer is completely dry, Monday I watered, this morning there was still moisture close to the surface but dry top soil. My plan was to check moisture again tonight and possibly beggining the flushing process suggested yesterday.

I found some mycoroot in my box of goodies, so that's definitely an option.

5 hours ago, CreX said:

@Martin7318 can you see any root tips sticking out the bottom of the pots? just thinking if a straight transplant would help or if the roots still need to grow through the bad soil

Yo dude! Last I checked there were roots peeping out the bottom, this was last week already. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Prom said:

I missed a bit in here, sorry, thought you are sorted 😳  most fragile state now as they fully run over their roots. Did you flush em yet? Would do that right away and repot. As you flush, you could go the radical way and just drop the plants in a bucket of rain water and wash the roots clean... veeeeery gentle, just slowly move in the water so the soil gets washed off. Then put them in fresh FF Premium Classic and just water VERY little. If the bag is fresh and still has a nice moisture content, don't water at all. Just very gently reset them.. let em rest for 2 days then feed plain water till you see they grow in size again.. go back to Biobizz feeding, 2ml Grow and Bio Heaven per liter. Always lift your pot before you feed... to heavy, wait!

And yeah ^^ what exactly did you feed them? 🤓

Hey Prom! I have not feed them anything over the last week. Only that 1ml/ltr of Environoc since the start. I have not flushed. Look forward to your response.

2 hours ago, GGG said:

Must add if you do wash of the soil from the roots , when taken out of the pot put the soil on your hand palm and move it in the water , if you hold it on the stem the soil gets heavy when placed in the water and it pulls down on the roots and you might break of fine thin roots.

Noted! Thank you.