Tired Plants

Bakstein420

How's it going guys.

So my plants have been behaving a little strangely in the last week. About 3 hours before lights out they start drooping which progressively gets worse. By the time lights go out they are drooping so bad it looks like severe over watering. Next morning they are perky and happy, until it nears lights out.

Plants are Zour Apple and Banana Daddy by Ethos. I was running lights 20/4 but since changing to 18/6 they have stopped doing this.

Is there a limit to the amount of light certain strains can absorb? I'm running the light dimmed and about 50cm above the plants.

• Like 1

I run my veg/clone area 24/7

I dont experience what you are describing with all my strains.

Cannabis is a C3 plant so doesnt need a dark cycle in veg to perform those functions that usually happen in the dark.

The only thing I notice is the shorter node spacing of my plants, as node stretch happens in dark.

• Like 3

Lol as I was reading this I was like, you must have changed your light schedule or something and lo and behold you did lol

What you are seeing is the plants going to sleep... Not tired or anything lol. 

My thinking is that when you changed the schedule you made it light where it used to be dark... So like. 

It sounds like the light used to be off 3 hours earlier than now... Which explains the plants going to sleep. 

Repeat... Not tired plants... Just sleeping 😴😜✌️

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, CreX said:

Lol as I was reading this I was like, you must have changed your light schedule or something and lo and behold you did lol

What you are seeing is the plants going to sleep... Not tired or anything lol. 

My thinking is that when you changed the schedule you made it light where it used to be dark... So like. 

It sounds like the light used to be off 3 hours earlier than now... Which explains the plants going to sleep. 

Repeat... Not tired plants... Just sleeping 😴😜✌️

Been running lights at 20/4 since seedling, only changed to 18/6 when the drooping started.

1 minute ago, Ill_Evan said:

Your girls could just be emotional 🤷‍♀️ 

Not joking, but I would legit say some sweet words to them for a few days and see if that made a difference.. 

I have been, wife is pissed off now because I don't talk to her like that when she feeling ill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bakstein420 said:

Been running lights at 20/4 since seedling, only changed to 18/6 when the drooping started.

I have been, wife is pissed off now because I don't talk to her like that when she feeling ill.

Maybe the wife is flipping the plants off behind your back 😂

• Haha 2

I'm still gonna stick to my diagnosis.... 

My plants do that every day thanks to loadshedding 

Plants sleep... Take a peak at your flowering ladies during their dark cycle...they are also gonna be droopy looking. 

They perk up about 30 min before lights on so you may never have noticed

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Have to agree with @CreX on this one. I actually saw this on a video I was watching last night on YouTube, was a timelapse of a grow seed to harvest and the guy points out that his plants sort of prepare for the dark cycle before the lights actually go off and start waking up before the lights turn on.

Pretty cool video, will try to find the link again...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Q9550 said:

Have to agree with @CreX on this one. I actually saw this on a video I was watching last night on YouTube, was a timelapse of a grow seed to harvest and the guy points out that his plants sort of prepare for the dark cycle before the lights actually go off and start waking up before the lights turn on.

Pretty cool video, will try to find the link again...

I have seen this as well, although its odd considering it started before he reduced the lighting and continued after he reduced it.

Perhaps the plants adapted that quickly to the lighting change?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

I have seen this as well, although its odd considering it started before he reduced the lighting and continued after he reduced it.

Perhaps the plants adapted that quickly to the lighting change?

Very odd indeed... could be a strain or maybe phenotype related trait perhaps.

• Like 1

My guess would be that you were hitting the maximum respiration of your plants around the 19-20hr mark of lights on, and they were becoming CO2 limited.

The VPD may have still been in a good range, so the plant will close up the stomata and droop leaves to avoid losing excessive water while respiration isn't taking place.

I stand to be corrected.

Edit: I know that the leaves droop a bit during night cycle, just taking a jab at an alternate reason.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, CreX said:

I'm still gonna stick to my diagnosis.... 

My plants do that every day thanks to loadshedding 

Plants sleep... Take a peak at your flowering ladies during their dark cycle...they are also gonna be droopy looking. 

They perk up about 30 min before lights on so you may never have noticed

Observed this behavior to a T 2 days ago. Had to isolate a plant due to PM and other plants are quite far into flower so I didn't want to risk it. Left it outside while I tried to remedy the issue, but then the winds came one evening and branches were being flung, so I left her and 2 smaller outdoor plant in the garage for the night. I usually wake up very early (to do feeding or whatever), and to my surprise, praying hands all over. So definitely does happen as you say. Took them out while it was still dark as the sun was 2 hours away. It was like they were speaking to me - "Sun please lol"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Observed this behavior to a T 2 days ago. Had to isolate a plant due to PM and other plants are quite far into flower so I didn't want to risk it. Left it outside while I tried to remedy the issue, but then the winds came one evening and branches were being flung, so I left her and 2 smaller outdoor plant in the garage for the night. I usually wake up very early (to do feeding or whatever), and to my surprise, praying hands all over. So definitely does happen as you say. Took them out while it was still dark as the sun was 2 hours away. It was like they were speaking to me - "Sun please lol"

What up bro. Please explain the praying hands thing to me. @Fridgedoor also made yhe comment on my auto. But i didnt catch on. 

• Like 1

Just now, afternoon blazer said:

What up bro. Please explain the praying hands thing to me. @Fridgedoor also made yhe comment on my auto. But i didnt catch on. 

Nothing really to understand I don't think. From what I know, its termed to describe the leaves reaching out for the sun (light source) because they hungry for them rays - like how happy clappies PRAISE THE LORRRDDD! 😁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ORGANinc. said:

Nothing really to understand I don't think. From what I know, its termed to describe the leaves reaching out for the sun (light source) because they hungry for them rays - like how happy clappies PRAISE THE LORRRDDD! 😁

Ahh. I see. Coz my sweet tooth had these hands for weeks. I did wonder if something wasnt going well. But i guess it actually means it is growing well.

Thanks bro.

• Like 2