Loadshedding and Lighting Schedules

Ill_Evan

Who else is getting absolutely wrecked with regards to loadshedding and their light schedules?

I've been pretty lucky thus far but today my luck has run out. Expecting six hours off schedule to my lighting, flowering period nonetheless but if this continues I might be a little worried.. not sure how bad it's going to get in general though

Anyways, more of a rant than anything..

Screenshot_20191209-192720_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.8ec7d176cb3b7785dda1b4caed6cd503.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

what I have been doing is putting a bright light (battery of course) in the room. A normal LED light with a magnet stuck to my grow light.

did it for the time needed then turned off and reset time switch etc  

Just to make sure the room is noT in total darkness so your baby doesn’t think it’s night time and you can keep your 12/12

But ye - I wish light was my only problem atm 😂😂

good luck 

xoxo

• Like 2

Other than the lighting I'm battling keeping oxygen supply to my roots in my DWC setup. So far the concoction I've got in the reservoirs are keeping any nasties at bay but this is the longest my air supply has been off. Could probably beat another day or two of this Escum business but can't be sure if it keeps up for the rest of the month.

Word is if Escum decides to do a full system reset it could be up to three months of this shoddiness 🙆

10 hours ago, GGG said:

Hi, do you start flowering with 8 on and 16 of? 

I already started seeing nanners tonight...... 

I use the gas lantern method for veg and flower. Flower is 8 on 16 off and it's working for me. Load shedding does piss me off too but if this continues and my plants gets affected then I'll be shutting down the indoor. Until.......nit sure. 

• Like 2

I don't feel as if the light cycle is as much of an issue for me as is the lack of extraction - especially with all the rain in Gauteng, humidity in my house has been in the 80's and it increases in the tents when the power goes off.

I have a few UPS's which just needed new batteries, so I ordered a few batteries and will be looking at running the fans off the UPS's.

@Ill_Evan a UPS to keep your air pump going is easy enough to do, I should end up with a spare - let me know if you're possibly interested.

Does not make sense to run lights off a UPS, they draw too much power unfortunately.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I don't feel as if the light cycle is as much of an issue for me as is the lack of extraction - especially with all the rain in Gauteng, humidity in my house has been in the 80's and it increases in the tents when the power goes off.

I have a few UPS's which just needed new batteries, so I ordered a few batteries and will be looking at running the fans off the UPS's.

@Ill_Evan a UPS to keep your air pump going is easy enough to do, I should end up with a spare - let me know if you're possibly interested.

Does not make sense to run lights off a UPS, they draw too much power unfortunately.

I've got a car battery that I was using as a UPS for the air pumps when I was still at my old place. Still have a few lying around but being out of the country at the moment isn't helping much 😄 got a novice looking after the current grow but all they know to do is top-up the reservoirs. All the rest is up to the Gods of the Herb. 

• Like 2

I say we have a competition... who's humidity is the highest in their flower room...

But on a serious note I got home from work now, power just came on. 1stly I could smell my grow on the road. Then the climate in my flower room is 18C and 92% humidity... 

So I've decided I'm just gonna start flushing now at day 43(eish), just in case the shit gets real. I've done emergency harvests before without a flush and it sucked.

Anyone else in late flower atm?

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 7:56 AM, CreX said:

There's always the magnificent outdoor shining sun.... 

OH wait.... Rain ☔

outdoor.. a huge branch from my biggest plant snapped because of the weight of the water and I'm guessing the water logged branch. 😅 does one need to trim outdoor plants? mine are looking really bushy, think the humidity might prove to be an issue

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jedi Messiah said:

outdoor.. a huge branch from my biggest plant snapped because of the weight of the water and I'm guessing the water logged branch. 😅 does one need to trim outdoor plants? mine are looking really bushy, think the humidity might prove to be an issue

Trimming no... Maybe a Lil... But the sun really penetates so it's not really needed. 

You should be trellis netting your outdoor though. The wind and the rain will cause havock in bloom when the bud gets heavy, you need something to support the stems 😉

Im sorry about the broken branch though... That really sucks

• Like 2

Just now, CreX said:

Trimming no... Maybe a Lil... But the sun really penetates so it's not really needed. 

You should be trellis netting your outdoor though. The wind and the rain will cause havock in bloom when the bud gets heavy, you need something to support the stems 😉

Im sorry about the broken branch though... That really sucks

it wasn't a clean break, taped her up, sure she will recover. thanks for the tip, will look into netting and a few bamboo posts.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jedi Messiah said:

it wasn't a clean break, taped her up, sure she will recover. thanks for the tip, will look into netting and a few bamboo posts.

Was a fold? Or a break? 

Both of them you should actually just leave in the bent position unless the plant is in early to mid veg... Late veg and you could do more damage than good, often leading up to the whole branch dying anyways. 

So if you can... Undo your tape and let the break be broken.... Maybe try support it amongst the rest of the plant. 

If you can move the plant indoor for a week or so, just enough for the plant to start healing properly then you could maybe get away with it... But the outdoor wind and rain is going to break your fix and cause more harm. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CreX said:

Was a fold? Or a break? 

Both of them you should actually just leave in the bent position unless the plant is in early to mid veg... Late veg and you could do more damage than good, often leading up to the whole branch dying anyways. 

So if you can... Undo your tape and let the break be broken.... Maybe try support it amongst the rest of the plant. 

If you can move the plant indoor for a week or so, just enough for the plant to start healing properly then you could maybe get away with it... But the outdoor wind and rain is going to break your fix and cause more harm. 

its revegging, so early veg? started revegging like a month ago. where the layer of tape is closest to the stalk, is where it tore. was dangling by about 10% of the stalk? second photo is reveg, it has a lot of bud on it that's far from ready. should i leave it on?

DSCN1862[1].JPG

DSCN1866[1].JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jedi Messiah said:

its revegging, so early veg? started revegging like a month ago. where the layer of tape is closest to the stalk, is where it tore. was dangling by about 10% of the stalk? second photo is reveg, it has a lot of bud on it that's far from ready. should i leave it on?

DSCN1862[1].JPG

DSCN1866[1].JPG

Okay, so more of a split between the branches... How you have it is fine... Maybe try wedge something under that branch so it is supported better. 

This should heal... As long as the cambuim layer of the woody stems didn't break in that 10% you will be fine. 

I had a Ghost train that something similar happened, and it made a full recovery. 

If the leaves are still perky and happy, the branch will make it... Maybe do a defoliation on that branch to reduce the load on the little bit of cambuim it has left... 

• Like 1

@Ill_Evan Meh I wen through this last year and at the beginning of the year, it gave me sleepless nights. But remember when you start flowering the transitional stage is about 10-14 days. Also plants outdoor don't receive 18hrs direct sunlight. The only girls i move to sunlight is the clones.... The oxygen in the water..... once I forgot to turn it on for a week in mid summer,  nothing happened!   Ill start stressing when load shitting carries on for more as a week at stage 6. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Mambawana you seem rather eager to chop your plants early, I'd try everything to allow my plants to mature properly before I chop them.

I've yet to chop a plant early and would only do so if I absolutely had to.

The thought of all the time and effort which has gone into a plant, then having to cut it down early just sounds disappointing and to me a bit of a waste. Obviously if its a choice between early harvest or not harvest, an early harvest sounds better then.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

@PsyCLown yeah I hear you. If I grew only a few plants at a time I would try fight it. 

Unfortunately sometimes some strains are just more vulnerable to pm and mold. So I don't try battle it anymore, I'll chop those down to stop the spread. And get rid of their respective clones. I only want strong plants.

Besides pm and mold, I start chopping 1 2 colas from here and there usually from around the day 40s. I enjoy the racey high now and then. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Some strains will be more upset by the loadshtting than others, in the veg mode, i switch to 24hrs of light as soon as the crap starts with Eskom, causes havoc on a 18/6 cycle, not to mention having to readjust timer after each shed.
Which timers do you use? The analogue ones?

I have the digital ones and they do not get affected by loadshedding / power cuts.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1