What strains do you want available in SA?

Dank

10 minutes ago, Kgrows said:

@greenkush look up dronabinol,(delta 9 THC) been used with ARVs for for quite a while - picked up this info recently while looking at the WHO recommendations for reclassifying cannabis, dagga couple did an article on it as well called a rose by any other name. 
https://fieldsofgreenforall.org.za/dronabinol-a-rose-by-any-other-name/

I'm aware of Dronabinol and Marinol, however those are used to treat side effects of various illnesses, nausea from chemo, appetite loss etc. I get very skeptical when individuals start purporting cannabis to be this amazing cure all solution (I'm not claiming Dank did, I'm just stating for the record) without double blind studies and such. So yes I can agree with the use of cannabis as a constituent to ARV / chemo regiment, however stopping ARV's in their entirety is asking for trouble. 

Edited by greenkush

Patients that take ARV's continue to do so, as well as use Cannabis to help relieve symptoms. There are patients that do not have to go onto the ARV's yet, because of Cannabis, but the CD4 count is monitored and if at any point it gets to a certain level, the patient will then start taking ARV's. 

Thanks for that info @Kgrows very interesting!

Edited by Dank

3 minutes ago, Dank said:

You are correct, sorry bit of a dyslexic problem on my end i guess.

BTW this thread has been hijacked by this HIV issue, feel free to start a new thread about it in the main forum. 

You brought up HIV 😉

On 6/13/2019 at 3:51 PM, greenkush said:

Off spring from one of my breeding projects, I aim purely for high THC content.

D082DE22-1C1C-4999-8DAB-BBD9A8C50EFB.thumb.JPG.4da2a58c7b97d42768ce389c3963534e.JPG

High THC Content Strains :-rolled

There is some HulkBerry from RQS in my recent order, apparently should test quite high, not as high as the "Glue Strains" I would imagine.

In the past I have had some White Russian plants that were super potent, no idea about what the thc levels were. 

I saw on Wikileaf (not sure about these tests) that Nothern Lights registered 35% thc. Interestingly the Chocolope in the growoffs was polinated by a NL dad.

I think I read that somewhere on the forum, not 100% sure tho.

What do you guys think about High THC Strain breeding, any new strains or even landrace strains tipping the scales?

Just cross one high thc strain with another and select for even higher thc? :-rollitup

Edited by Dank

@Dank i reckon high THC is always a crowd pleaser ! just finished my first grow on first breeding project - looking for african genetics/parents! nothing good enough yet though, thinking i should look at the dutch companies for original genetics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kgrows said:

@Dank i reckon high THC is always a crowd pleaser ! just finished my first grow on first breeding project - looking for african genetics/parents! nothing good enough yet though, thinking i should look at the dutch companies for original genetics

I find local genetics to be pretty lacklustre, so I tend to avoid them mostly.

@Kgrows we have Durban Poison that adds quite a bit of THCV into the mix, providing it is the genuine strain, if it does not have to be South African, but African, take a look at the strain Kilimanjaro, reportedly measures 26% consistently on flowers, pretty good for a landrace strain. Locals call it the elephant killer lol.

I have never grown it, but sure looking forward to it one day. If i was doing a African breeding project I would play with Kilimanjaro and some of our ZA strains, see what happens.

The beauty of landrace strains is their genetic makeup, thousands of years of natural selection (with minimum help from human breeders) provides very homogeneous genes for a particular area/ecosystem. 

Kilimanjaro Named for the tallest peak in Africa, this sativa sets the bar quite high. Originating in Tanzania, this landrace strain became incredibly popular in Europe before taking off in North America. (side note: a “landrace strain” is a strain of cannabis that is indigenous, original, or otherwise naturally occurring. Landrace strains create the body of strains that hybrids come from.) It packs a wallop with at least 26 percent THC on almost all flowers tested and is consistently one of the most potent strains available in Canada. The flavors are bright, fresh, and citrusy, and the high is a classic, stimulating, energetic burst of creativity, just like most sativas. It will have you blessing the rains down in Africa.

@Kgrows it is a good idea for us hobby breeders to buy in some genetics every year if possible, the truth about starting from pure landraces (not Afghanica cultivars that had human intervention) the growers in Amsterdam start growing out 1000 plants for their first selection of parents, naturally for a hobby breeder this is a bit difficult. 

Strain hunting is awesome tho, I am not sure if you have seen the series "Strain Hunters", but when they go to Swaziland they find a lot of hybrids before eventually finding the Swazi Gold sativa. Personally I haven't been to Swaziland so I cannot say for sure how rare Swazi Gold has become.

Strain hunting should partly be to preserve the genetics as well as finding new exciting crosses. Usually when you make a hybrid from two distant strains, some interesting pheno's should occur.

If you do decide to get some Kilimanjaro beans, I have a few mystery sativa's that is crossed with my KushCookies F2. I can send you out some tester beans of these (if you were keen ofc), providing you are willing to do some pheno hunting as I have not grown out too many of these mystery sativa crosses. The few that we did see this year were quite interesting plants.

I would pick a Kilimanjaro male for them, but would have to be a future project for me personally.

@Dank defs seen strain hunters! havent seen the swazi ep though. 
my thoughts exactly, rather than growing out 1000s of plants let the breeders do the tedious work. I'm thinking now after your comments, a Kilimanjaro x DP could be a good start. always keen for beans! I'll start my research on this now, when i get some beans & good males i'll send you some pollen! I was originally looking for rooibard tbh, but i cant seem to find anything legit at all

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kgrows said:

@Dank defs seen strain hunters! havent seen the swazi ep though. 
my thoughts exactly, rather than growing out 1000s of plants let the breeders do the tedious work. I'm thinking now after your comments, a Kilimanjaro x DP could be a good start. always keen for beans! I'll start my research on this now, when i get some beans & good males i'll send you some pollen! I was originally looking for rooibard tbh, but i cant seem to find anything legit at all

Kilimanjaro x DP :-flyinghi

I saw this available at World of Seeds https://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/world-of-seeds-landraces-kilimanjaro/prod_2780.html  feminized and regular.

Not sure if this is the one that clocks in at 26%, but the only one I found for sale, only did a quick search though. 

I usually try to keep the original moms vegging (and sometimes dads), seeds that arrive from overseas (for a few runs at least). That way you can always create a inbred line, DP line, or whichever you wish.

The main benefit is that strong mom / dad can be identified and you can always backcross to stabilize, or make new hybrids. 

• 7 months later...

Sorry for picking up on this thread late guys. Two comments with your permission @Dank 

We have a project to create a new pool of DP in the kznclub. Mean to do this as a Mzanzi project for the obvious reasons (for which I had zero knowledge, but am now becoming enlightened.) So I am very keen to partake if any results are at hand for proving.

Secondly, for any interest in hiv work - we have been working on this project for 14 years now. We have a herb that provide a 100% recovery for the traditional measurement method. PM me if there is any interest. We could not get gubment involved, but have anecdotal experience and test result proof from Drs. Funny how cures have no interest with Drs hey?

• Like 1

Hi @420sake , feel free to post here in the breeders group, its a group for any 420SA members to participate :-greenthumb (any interested members can request a invite)

You can create threads here in the group as well, it would be awesome to see what the kznclub is up too, stoked to hear that there are collaborations going on regarding breeding.

Creating a new DP gene pool by KZN breeders/growers will probably result in one of the finest DP's around. It really helps having guys with the palettes that saw and tasted the oldschool DP, you guys will be able to improve the strain with selective breeding I'm sure.

Great to hear about the HIV work that you guys are doing, some strains are really effective and improve the quality of HIV/AIDS patients lives by a lot.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/1/2020 at 9:59 AM, Prom said:

Would love to get my hands on some Kilimanjaro to turn it into a Auto... somebody can help on that topic?

Hi @Prom sorry for the late response :-rolled

So the first step would be to get your hands on some Kilimanjaro (regular or fems) and the Auto of your choice (regular or fem).

Originally males from Ruderalis onto a photoperiod female of choice were used, however one can also put a regular photoperiod male onto a Auto female. 

Step 2 would then be hunting for the F1 progeny that display the autoflowering trait. I would run them in a 24hr setup, or 20/4, i wouldnt go lower than 20/4 when phenohunting autos to breed with.

Step 3 would then be to make a IBL from your selected plants that showed autoflowering genes.

This can get done done for multiple generations untill all plants carry the autoflowering traits.

The final step would be to find the phenotypes that look and smoke like the Kilimanjaro but are autos. This step is listed last but will always be the main goal, so every time u do a run keep the end goal in mind. 

WorldofSeeds has the Kilimanjaro strain, i have never used them so cant really vouch for their beans. I did get some freebies from them, but germination rate was swak.

Perhaps one of our local seedbanks can get n packet or 3 in for u with their orders. I got no idea what the status of international parcels are at the moment.

@Prom i have never grown or smoked Kili, seems it left a good impression on u, what is she like? I remember hearing high thc counts etc.

Edited by Dank

High dank

Inspired by the cobbing community, a few strains with high acclaim:

Panama x Honduras 

Golden tiger (malawi x Thai) 

Carnival 

Mulanje

Kilimanjaro

Zamaldelica

Edited by zairek
  • Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Bos
      Aweh gromies.
      Been planning around this idea for a while now. Seems a natural evolution from a smoking carpenters' point of view.  
      Today the creative juices were just right.
      The material was retained and cured from the 2022 outdoor grow.
      She weighs is at a miniscule 179gr.
      Comments and ideas are welcome.

• By Chris Jay
      Hi Growers

I would like to introduce you to The Survivals Band. Based in Gtown/Makhanda Eastern Cape they have been jammin since 1991. If you guys know of any good venues that may be interested in hiring them during the weekend of 11-13th March please let me know. Enjoy. 

• By CannaBaer
      Hi there!
      I am currently doing my MA in anthropology at Unisa, focusing on cannabis policy in South Africa. The process entails interviews (and participant observation where possible) with stakeholders form a diverse intersection of the South African cannabis context including, growers, sellers, govt policy makers, entrepreneurs, NGO's, representatives of indigenous knowledge systems. If you would like to participate and make a contribution to the research in the form of an interview, please send an email to cannabis.res.dev@gmail.com, and we can set up a meeting.
      See the attached informed consent form for more information on study parameters.
      Most interviews will likely be done over a digital platform like Zoom/Skype for the sake of convenience.

Also, participate in the poll, it's anonymous.

I look forward to hearing your perspective on cannabis policy in South Africa.
      Kindest regards,
      Etienne
      Study participant informed consent form.pdf
    • By Wondergom
      Hi everyone, we have created an online community on reddit, it would be great if more South Africans can join.
      We have big plans for this community.

Please check it out here:
      https://www.reddit.com/r/WeedSouthAfrica?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
    • By Dank
      In the works
      Going to hit my Zkittlez male on a selection of my moms.
      Working on some GirlScoutCookies fem crosses from my GSC mom reversed.
      Doing a open pollination project with friends to widen gene pools and protect against bottlenecking.