2023 Comp prep???

ORGANinc.

Awe garden community and @420SA 

What's the chances of doing another competition? Sure it was much painstaking work and tediously annoying organization. Not to mention getting all the willing sponsors involved etc.etc.   

So understandable if not, but you gotta ask and see... 😄 The forum was jumping with the last one. :-puffin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

Awe garden community and @420SA 

What's the chances of doing another competition? Sure it was much painstaking work and tediously annoying organization. Not to mention getting all the willing sponsors involved etc.etc.   

So understandable if not, but you gotta ask and see... 😄 The forum was jumping with the last one. :-puffin

It's never off the cards bud but will have to make a call around January next year if we look at getting the indoor growoff going in the autumn. Unfortunately our good friend Totemic will not be able to front seeds for it as he closed shop but there are 1 or two other options we could look at in terms of a genetics sponsor. Unless of course @Totemic dusts off the pollen and gets a batch of beans ready for us come the time.

Please do bring this up in January again though and we'll see how things stand then. Sorry I couldn't put forward anything more promising right now 😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 420SA said:

It's never off the cards bud but will have to make a call around January next year if we look at getting the indoor growoff going in the autumn. Unfortunately our good friend Totemic will not be able to front seeds for it as he closed shop but there are 1 or two other options we could look at in terms of a genetics sponsor. Unless of course @Totemic dusts off the pollen and gets a batch of beans ready for us come the time.

Please do bring this up in January again though and we'll see how things stand then. Sorry I couldn't put forward anything more promising right now 😬

No problems man! Appreciate all the hard work 👊🏻🔥 will remember to ring this thread up come Jan 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am sure people are still lurking a round.Eskom has just fucked up every bodies grows and it is really not worth growing any more for a lot of us. I am waiting to move into a new place so my grow has been discontinued since November. And totemic is making a new batch of seeds so buy April or so we might have a seed sponsor again

@Totemic

Edited by SkunkPharm
  • Like 4
  • Fire! 1

If you'd like to get into something coming soon, check out the @THCSA Cape Town Cannabis Cup. Thread here. Application form and ticket links should be there as well. 

With regards to our own 420SA Cup, I'm always down. Obviously the crowd was more present in the past as that was shortly after the 2018 Constitutional Court judgement which convinced most guys to start growing at the time, including me. 

Vendors have also been short in supply. I can only imagine this is due to the high over-saturation of hydroponic goods in the market currently as well as the over-supply of second-hand equipment and electronics from guys thinking they could cut it one time perfectly in the first grow. Howzit loadshedding. So spare cash to advertise on a forum instead of just on places like FB or Instagram is a factor for them. 

Lastly, it wasn't all too long ago that 420SA had an Instagram account but Lord Zuck decided to wipe it off the planet for some reason and another account wasn't made. This probably also lead to less organic traffic heading our way. 

It's a hard sell to get new guys into growing with this loadshedding kak. It's already hard to learn how to grow by yourself. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

It's already hard to learn how to grow by yourself. 

i guess this comes down to what information you got at the start. 

5 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

It's a hard sell to get new guys into growing with this loadshedding kak

you mention second hand equipment but i'm weary of second hand led and their drivers that ''kak'' due the surge when the lights turn back on. still not sure if this is true but its what i was warned against so havn't switched to led yet. i'm looking for lumii 720w units if anyone knows anything. but i don't mind to wait till black friday for this hps doesn't bother me at all..

the startup cost of an indoor grow is enough to make most turn away from growing and continue buying some grams worth of bud at a time. or at least this is what i'm seeing with acquaintances. it is a lack of understanding of the dark cycle that load shedding scares people of too. but we are in south africa with 9 months of summer(did we have a winter last year in the western cape), id still say for now that growing outdoor might be best, and i'm not and auto flower guy but you can grow at least 3 cycles of them successfully outdoors..every year..its just more expensive with the purchase price of some seeds, again cash is usually an determining/deterring  factor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

If you'd like to get into something coming soon, check out the @THCSA Cape Town Cannabis Cup. Thread here. Application form and ticket links should be there as well. 

With regards to our own 420SA Cup, I'm always down. Obviously the crowd was more present in the past as that was shortly after the 2018 Constitutional Court judgement which convinced most guys to start growing at the time, including me. 

Vendors have also been short in supply. I can only imagine this is due to the high over-saturation of hydroponic goods in the market currently as well as the over-supply of second-hand equipment and electronics from guys thinking they could cut it one time perfectly in the first grow. Howzit loadshedding. So spare cash to advertise on a forum instead of just on places like FB or Instagram is a factor for them. 

Lastly, it wasn't all too long ago that 420SA had an Instagram account but Lord Zuck decided to wipe it off the planet for some reason and another account wasn't made. This probably also lead to less organic traffic heading our way. 

It's a hard sell to get new guys into growing with this loadshedding kak. It's already hard to learn how to grow by yourself. 

Already have my tickets to go. I unfortunately feel that the guys that won last year have an unfair advantage due to the fact that the grow with solar. So I won’t enter anything there until I have such a system.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

I've also found that it is dependent on the type of person as well. I've setup some great grows for other people and given them any and all information they've needed when they needed it and short of me having to do the grow myself, they usually would move to other things within a year or two. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

you mention second hand equipment but i'm weary of second hand led and their drivers that ''kak'' due the surge when the lights turn back on. still not sure if this is true but its what i was warned against so havn't switched to led yet. i'm looking for lumii 720w units if anyone knows anything. but i don't mind to wait till black friday for this hps doesn't bother me at all..

the startup cost of an indoor grow is enough to make most turn away from growing and continue buying some grams worth of bud at a time. or at least this is what i'm seeing with acquaintances. it is a lack of understanding of the dark cycle that load shedding scares people of too. but we are in south africa with 9 months of summer(did we have a winter last year in the western cape), id still say for now that growing outdoor might be best, and i'm not and auto flower guy but you can grow at least 3 cycles of them successfully outdoors..every year..its just more expensive with the purchase price of some seeds, again cash is usually an determining/deterring  factor.

I have had no issue with my led drivers so far but I always buy products with Meanwell HLG drivers

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

2 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

Already have my tickets to go. I unfortunately feel that the guys that won last year have an unfair advantage due to the fact that the grow with solar. So I won’t enter anything there until I have such a system.

Hopefully it doesn't become too much of a walled garden, so to speak. 

26 minutes ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

are you protecting them with surge protection and are they switching on automatically when the 'light turn on' so to speak.

na, have the driver connected directly to the plug ^^ and lost no driver since i use em. I have a spare.. not sure why hehehe

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

any case for us that insist on persevering through these grows, what are the cup details what rules would apply..yield drywieght per plant, or typical cup format by means of judging how would this work? so many questions

It would be completely up to those participating. I personally wouldn't mind a comp where all the participants are the judges and every person that enters rates all the other entrants and the scores are averaged at the end. 

The criteria can be completely subjective and reduced to a single number out of 10 per strain per entrant. Smell it, smoke it, rate it. 

• Fire! 1

just a thought we should consider many options but how about totemic splits his last stock of autos he's letting go amongst the contestant. they say autos are quite the challenge to grow even for experienced growers. id be disappointed having to go to my, ironically, go-to-strain that i've been growing over years in an attempt to win a challenge.my twee pennies

• Like 1

Ja we can keep it simple. Forum members send their nugs from this season's outdoor or indoor say by June to allow a good cure for the outdoor. Not 50 fkn grams of course...and the judges judge.Your own strain would allow for nice diversity if things can be kept honest which i trust would be the case here. Easy. Fun and lekker✌️

Edited by Weskush
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SkunkPharm said:

Let see it like that 😏 if you have a perfect setup and not win... will ruin your selfesteem 😂

You are very very good at growing... would have given it a shot to see where you stand. My competition weed is now cured 2 months... had a month stage 6. Curiosity kills the cat. Can only win in this competition... losing against a full solar setup is no shame hehehe thanks for the info, kinda relaxed now.

I would have made a bet on your weed, if you would have taken part. Pictures dont lie... ok, except they are ai generated 😂 I go like usual... lets see 😎

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

I would want at least 2g per entrant. I think I could get a good judge from that amount. So one would need to send in at least 2g x # of entrants. 

So if there are 5 bruhs playing, each bruh has to send in 10g, for example. 10 bruhs, 20g each, and so on. 

I would help in such a game 😂 and strain swaps always kick in hard...

• Like 1
  • Fire! 2