DamDave

@DamDave Why are you soo hesitant to try the GHE nutes?

The nutes will be available to the plants immediately and speed up recovery, unlike trying molasses to provide food for microbes to help them grow to breakdown organic shit to turn into food - could take another 3 weeks+ if you want to go this route. You are not providing food for the plants directly by giving molasses.

I agree with @CreX except for the foliar part, I feel keep it simple and leave the foliar for now.
Full veg dose of GHE nutes as per the chart on the bottle, PH the feed to 6.3 and feed to the plants.

The plants are going to take a few weeks to bounce back and recover, even with GHE. They are very unhappy unfortunately.

I do not think a heater is a bad idea, the one you linked to seems good. The basic fan heaters with an element works well and they have a thermostat on them too, to help dial in the temps.
This is the heater I am referring to: https://www.takealot.com/salton-fan-heater/PLID38673156
I saw Builders have them for R199, Checkers might have them as well and at a similar price.
Higher temps will help the plants metabolism speed up again and will assist evaporating moisture from the soil. If you were using fabric pots, it would also assist but is not a must have.
I very rarely take medication for anything. Something my grandfather said to me years ago. Never take chemicals be it drugs or medication. Keep it natural if possible.
Suppose it's a mental block of sorts. Will be starting a feeding schedule Friday though so all info appreciated.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Totally different circumstances I'd guess. 
What water is he using, chlorine free, dead without air...
I had the same problem with when giving aircon water, that had no air or life in, and had the same problem when the soil wasnt drying out, and I was watering again, and he said he has that issue. There isn't air in the soil and the plant is trying to claw it's way out.
Although I could be wrong 
Borehole water from Atlantis aquifer. Ph 6.5 - 6.7.

• Like 1

Totally different circumstances I'd guess. 
What water is he using, chlorine free, dead without air...
I had the same problem with when giving aircon water, that had no air or life in, and had the same problem when the soil wasnt drying out, and I was watering again, and he said he has that issue. There isn't air in the soil and the plant is trying to claw it's way out.
Although I could be wrong 
When I first spotted the problem I added perlite, helped a bit but not much.

Get your self a moisture probe, before you feel like maybe its time to water, just stick the probe in there, and see what it says, they are only 200 bucks at hydroponic and they also measure Ph. The issue that come from overwatering constantly for prolonged periods of time will always look like the most server deficiencies. 

• Agree 1

Just now, The_StonedTrooper said:

Agree, 100%

The soil is saturated below, and the next time he waters, 

Like I said, after a few days only,

He might want to add some oxygen to the water. 

I didnt mean water now again, we already established that. 

Yes fair point, I'm trying to really work into the fact that, even if its 200ml every other day or 3rd day from the time the soils was waterlogged, its going to stay like that and less and less oxygen is getting to the roots. 

I had to wait 1 and half weeks after I saturated my big pot to water again, doesn't matter that I had this feed/that feed planned. 

Roots without oxygen manifest pathogens and root rot, and then there is no coming back unfortunately. No special bottles are fixing that 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good advice all, thanks.

Reason I entered the competition, to learn.
I think it all started with inexperience planting into 10l pot indoors. No problems outdoors.
And now trying to claw my way back.
At the end of the comp I think I'll condense the thread. It might just be a good read on how things go wrong and solutions if I manage to pull through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Yes fair point, I'm trying to really work into the fact that, even if its 200ml every other day or 3rd day from the time the soils was waterlogged, its going to stay like that and less and less oxygen is getting to the roots. 

I had to wait 1 and half weeks after I saturated my big pot to water again, doesn't matter that I had this feed/that feed planned. 

Roots without oxygen manifest pathogens and root rot, and then there is no coming back unfortunately. No special bottles are fixing that 

1000% yes that is one thousand. Agree.

I had this starting out growing, and learnt the hard way.

A very quick fix, and only do this if you comfortable....add peroxide to water, make it strong, I've used 10 volume, and added around 10ml to a 5L and water with that, it will oxygenate the soil and help the drying process. 

Do only if you comfortable. 

I often do this to boost bud size, but be careful, I have warned you.

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
Typo

This seems to be the problem.
When I noticed in the begging I upended those pots and dried the soil out and added perlite. Been very careful with watering since and soil seems to stay moist but on the wet side.
Pots have massive drainage holes and are lifted off the ground.
Really starting to think its the Just Cannabis soil. Bad batch maybe.

as new guys join the forum and ask for advice, among the first things we encourage is a Ph pen and a Ec pen.

due to the lack of testing equipment, it is highly probable that your borehole water is not phed well, it may have undesirable amounts of crap in it that you dont want.

i would switch to tap water honestly, stable ph and stable Ec to work with.

a friend of mine in durban is also trying to use borehole water to grow with, and im also telling him that he must use tap water... 

literally 10 min ago another growmie complained that he mistakenly put borehole water into his jojo  and it has an ec of 1.4

im just saying... i dont ever ever hear anyone praise the borehole water as pure and refined... its more often advised to not drink it, so why give it to our valued crops?

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, DamDave said:

This seems to be the problem.emoji115.png
When I noticed in the begging I upended those pots and dried the soil out and added perlite. Been very careful with watering since and soil seems to stay moist but on the wet side.
Pots have massive drainage holes and are lifted off the ground.
Really starting to think its the Just Cannabis soil. Bad batch maybe.

Doesn't matter how long it takes. let those pots dry out completely. Your roots cannot breath, and Its been like that for a while now.

• Agree 2

as new guys join the forum and ask for advice, among the first things we encourage is a Ph pen and a Ec pen.
due to the lack of testing equipment, it is highly probable that your borehole water is not phed well, it may have undesirable amounts of crap in it that you dont want.
i would switch to tap water honestly, stable ph and stable Ec to work with.
a friend of mine in durban is also trying to use borehole water to grow with, and im also telling him that he must use tap water... 
literally 10 min ago another growmie complained that he mistakenly put borehole water into his jojo  and it has an ec of 1.4
im just saying... i dont ever ever hear anyone praise the borehole water as pure and refined... its more often advised to not drink it, so why give it to our cash crops?
Been looking at probes.
Our borehole borders on the verge of spring water. Gets tested regularly as it's used for the propagation tunnels and piped directly to the drinking water. Small filter on kitchen taps and that's it.

32 minutes ago, DamDave said:

Good advice all, thanks.

Reason I entered the competition, to learn.
I think it all started with inexperience planting into 10l pot indoors. No problems outdoors.
And now trying to claw my way back.
At the end of the comp I think I'll condense the thread. It might just be a good read on how things go wrong and solutions if I manage to pull through.

Its not necessarily a bad thing that you went straight to the 10L.

Outdoor watering when compared to indoor watering is fucking world's apart and I also learnt my lesson the hard way.

Outdoor in Summer my 20l fabric pot got 5L of water every single day with no overwatering issues.

Indoor with my 20L pots they get 1L of water every 4 to 7 days depending how well the medium drained.

You are going through a valuable learning curve and will be a stronger, better and wiser grower for the next run.  :-thumbsup

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, DamDave said:

Been looking at probes.
Our borehole borders on the verge of spring water. Gets tested regularly as it's used for the propagation tunnels and piped directly to the drinking water. Small filter on kitchen taps and that's it.

fair come back, at least you know whats up with your borehole water.

@PsyCLowns idea about doing different things to the different pots why dont you try that?

do nothing with your healthiest plant. doing nothing seems to be the consensus at the moment, to try dry up the medium to see if positive results ensue.

with another plant, only do a epsom foliar feed every day or every 2 days for 1 week and see if there are any differences.

and on the last one, give her a proper feed, dont formulate your own feeding regime, the one that works is printed on the bottle. and see how she is in a week.

based on the results i can guestimate that the epsom foliar plant may look the healthiest, followed by the plant that got fed,and lastly the one that got nothing

insanity is changing nothing, but expecting a different outcome - try something at least and see for yourself.

i would for real prefer you to try something, come back and tell us we are a bunch of twats, than you try nothing

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CreX said:

fair come back, at least you know whats up with your borehole water.

@PsyCLowns idea about doing different things to the different pots why dont you try that?

do nothing with your healthiest plant. doing nothing seems to be the consensus at the moment, to try dry up the medium to see if positive results ensue.

with another plant, only do a epsom foliar feed every day or every 2 days for 1 week and see if there are any differences.

and on the last one, give her a proper feed, dont formulate your own feeding regime, the one that works is printed on the bottle. and see how she is in a week.

based on the results i can guestimate that the epsom foliar plant may look the healthiest, followed by the plant that got fed,and lastly the one that got nothing

insanity is changing nothing, but expecting a different outcome - try something at least and see for yourself.

i would for real prefer you to try something, come back and tell us we are a bunch of twats, than you try nothing

I agree with doing a foliar twice a week or so and just supplementing where possible, but here in the cape, its been wetter than wet. Rain for a full week, 90 plus % humidity all days and nights, its no wonder nothing is drying up. If we carry on as usual and water according to the schedule, it really wont do any good. If we were rocking summer, different story.

Edited by ORGANinc.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, DamDave said:

Been looking at probes.

Out of curiosity, as I dont know either. 

Do they test for oxygen in the water of that borehole? 

Fair bit of info to help make my mind up come Friday. I did do a light igrowdagga Epsom salts spray now though.

Now you guys have me thinking heater (have to order) or moister prob (village nursery has a duel something).

And who the FCUK said golf was expensive.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, John Stonedwell said:

Indoor with my 20L pots they get 1L of water every 4 to 7 days

Hello Bud, I water my 25 litre pots in a similar fashion. When I transplant into them I give roughly 300 ml per day and go up to 1 litre a day as they grow. During flowering they can take in 1.5 - 2 litres a day

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Twix Aphen said:

Hello Bud, I water my 25 litre pots in a similar fashion. When I transplant into them I give roughly 300 ml per day and go up to 1 litre a day as they grow. During flowering they can take in 1.5 - 2 litres a day

Yeah I think the type of medium,strain and environmentals will be the determining factor as to the frequency and volume of watering needed.. 

Like we have seen from the replies there are several ways to skin this cannabis smoking cat. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DamDave said:

Yep. Minimal water but soil stays wet as..

Hello Dave. If the soil stays constantly wet, with too few roots then the problem will continue, if you keep up with daily a watering routine. I would let them dry out a bit, let the roots breath and then they can start to build and fill out the pot. 

An automated watering device (blumats tropf) would help to take the guesswork out of the situation. The carrots cost about R200, I would buy one of these instead of spending more on a moisture Meter.

Weighing the pots is an excellent suggestion and I am going to start trying that out too. 

• 420SA pinned this topic