Fact or Fiction

Naughty.Psychonaut

What's good, good people!

I always find hidden facts/myths so interesting and I am sure all of us have one or two we don't generally discuss, but might always be worth the mention.

This thread is for those who have heard something, anything, to give it a mention. If anyone knows if it's fact or myth, guide us.

I'll start it off...

The whole "OG" thing. Most will know this to stand for "Original Gangster". In most cases of generic slang terms, that is probably what it means, but when it comes to cannabis and a whole bunch of other plants it was used to catagorise those genetics that where grown by the ocean, coastal tolerant plants. It stands for "Ocean Grown". It wasn't untill much later that a certain demographic adopted the word like they where the ones who created it (gangsters), when they happened upon the coincidence that the "OG" could also mean "original gangster" and they liked the sound of it so much and have over used it to the point where the majority of cannabis enthusiasts think the strain is called "Original Gangster Kush". which would be the worst name for weed in my opinion.

Funny tag, it wasn't even the original gangstars that used the term, but rather the modern trendy soyboys who think they're intimidating everyone by not being able to wear their pants correctly. 

• Like 2

The story I've read while researching the origins of OG is something along the lines of.
Dude was growing or knew the breeder that was growing along the California coast, some real good stuff.
So this dude was sitting around at a party smok'n up a storm and recognized his strain/flavour. Asks the question ' hey where's this stuff from '? Guy replies it's Mountain Grown.
Dude answers back ' na, it's Ocean Grown, it's my strain '.

Fack or fiction? There are so many different opinions but above and Original Gandsta are the two main arguments.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

https://maryjanesdiary.com/og-meaning/

although, in this write up it states original gangster came first, I will look for the thread that's based on a book writin by a dude who was a part of the creation of the word. if I can remember the name of the book I'll have it in seconds, but this is just a short discussion in the book, not what the whole book was about, but it stated that when they came up with the whole OG term there hasn't been any use for the term untill they started using it. obviously gangsters like weed and when they heard the strain name they just jumped to conclusion. not the other way around

Pretty sure the OG just stand for original, it was just called Kush and when other cuts started calling themselves kush, they named it the original kush, at least that's what I remember Josh D saying.  Lineage probably from a bagseed of chemdog from Tahoe at a grateful dead concert, and chemdog itself came from bagseed of dog from connections at a grateful dead concert.

Edited by Thunder Grown
  • Agree 1

@Thunder Grown

brother, this word has a couple of meanings. "original" being one of them. but it defs doesn't 

41 minutes ago, Thunder Grown said:

just stand for original

here's some backstory 

55 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

also, will bring up the book that has the full story, if you willing to read? looking for the book as we speak.

53 minutes ago, Thunder Grown said:

Pretty sure the OG just stand for original, it was just called Kush and when other cuts started calling themselves kush, they named it the original kush, at least that's what I remember Josh D saying.  Lineage probably from a bagseed of chemdog from Tahoe at a grateful dead concert, and chemdog itself came from bagseed of dog from connections at a grateful dead concert.

I think a lot can be tied back to Grateful Dead concerts, lol.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

@Thunder Grown

brother, this word has a couple of meanings. "original" being one of them. but it defs doesn't 

here's some backstory 

also, will bring up the book that has the full story, if you willing to read? looking for the book as we speak.

There was literally no backstory in that, just a story with no evidence.  Josh D's story seems pretty verified and is the most vetted.

https://tv.dopemagazine.com/josh-d-farms/

"Ocean Grown" started in California. Los Angeles is in California.

think about this, a strain grown by the ocean and some dude comes out saying "OG" doesn't stand for ocean grown. that's really backwards.......

So you're telling me, a dude who was part of the start of the term Ocean Grown, comes out years later saying that's not what it actually means? great...

even if the strain really WAS ocean grown.... California. right by the ocean.......... 

yeah....

anyway, not gona make or break anything or anyone, just a random topic of discussion.

like I said earlier, one can look at it as "spaghetti" if that's what makes you happy. 

Josh D's story is that he got the "kush" cut from Matt "Bubba" Berger, who flew it in from Florida.  Everyone started calling everything Kush so they named it original kush.   I grew up in Cali, never even heard of the term Ocean Grown before the internet, always thought it meant original. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thunder Grown said:

Josh D's story is that he got the "kush" cut from Matt "Bubba" Berger, who flew it in from Florida.  Everyone started calling everything Kush so they named it original kush.   I grew up in Cali, never even heard of the term Ocean Grown before the internet, always thought it meant original. 

Would that the "Bubba" the strain is named after?

16152970279187192315341534581391.jpg

I grew up in Orange County, I don't really agree with everything.  I just think it's the story with the most evidence to back up the claims. In interviews Josh D says they wanted to change the name from Kush because it wasn't a true Kush varietal from Afghanist, etc.  I think it's highly likely it was chemdog that made it way to California and Florida through different cuts.

• Agree 1