First Indoor Grow Ever

Stinger96

Morning growmies.. So I am setting up my first ever Indoor Grow. As a outdoor grower this is a daunting task and as exited as I am... I am quite nervous...

@zairek Bud it seems assif you had n mother of an infestation.... I do not think I ever had such an infestation in my outdoor grows ever... Bloody hell.. 

The tent and all accessories was nuked and afterwards drenched in a strong peroxide solution.. Hope there is no eggs hiding somewhere...

The only thing I am not to sure about is the light settup. I have the following and is not sure how to proceed.. Please give me some guidance in how to connect the following.

Thnx in advance buds... Keen to get going as the plants are days away from showing sex and would like to put the CBD Charlotte's Angel inside to prevent them from getting spoilt by the ultimate light source..

There's a power cable from the light to the dimmable 600w electronic ballast..

20210116_222417.thumb.jpg.61e9402515f9a9a74169118a851f105c.jpg

20210116_222141.thumb.jpg.b9746a47ea32608b47eaddc6c0d47919.jpg

There is a few extra ballasts. I'm not to sure why and how to connect these.. As I said... Indoor is a new world to me and I am not going to try this myself as I know my stoner ass is going to screw something up... I feel that it might be a simple thing but would rather have the experts guide me through this..

These are the extras I received and what is causing the confusion..

20210116_222108.thumb.jpg.5b03e59121ab37273ebcd29d29f9364b.jpg

:-peace

20210116_222227.jpg

• Like 3

whats up man!!

so it would seem you have 2 technologies in the above pics...electronic ballast and magnetic ballasts.

you are going to only use the digital electronic ballast.

you plug it in with a kettle cord/pc power cable, and the other side of the ballast goes to the light fitting.

either wire can go to either point on the ceramic globe connector. and then bobs your aunty, it should work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CreX said:

whats up man!!

so it would seem you have 2 technologies in the above pics...electronic ballast and magnetic ballasts.

you are going to only use the digital electronic ballast.

you plug it in with a kettle cord/pc power cable, and the other side of the ballast goes to the light fitting.

either wire can go to either point on the ceramic globe connector. and then bobs your aunty, it should work.

Wow that easy...? feel like a real ammiture..😂🤣 Thnx for the reply. So tonight I will light it up... Thnx again...✌

5 minutes ago, Stinger96 said:

It's a Mamoth100.. I would like double that though but it will do the trick..👌

Then you only want to be running the 600w in that space. All those extra ballast spares can be put together for a separate veg area etc.

1m2 is a very workable space, and with some training can get you a more than decent yield. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Then you only want to be running the 600w in that space. All those extra ballast spares can be put together for a separate veg area etc.

1m2 is a very workable space, and with some training can get you a more than decent yield. 

Thnx bud.. I'll veg outside or in the greenhouse.. You welcome to them if you like..?

6 minutes ago, GreenGrow Garden Route said:

Planning on getting a air cooler from the China shop.. Cheap enough to try.. It seems to do the trick... only problem is longevity and I'm not sure if I will have to fill it up 10times a day.. Anybody have one?

The units with a fan and use water?

When I had one a few years ago, it was pretty useless to be honest. Will likely increase your RH as well.

Water transfers heat better than air, so do not see it helping long term - unless it is moving the hot air out of the tent and the ambient temps are cooler.

Seems you have a cooltube, so get some ducting and a fan to help keep the hot air out of the tent.

When funds allow, LED will be the way to go though - far less heat and lower energy consumption too.

• Agree 2

This is what it looks like.. I have the inline fan drawing air out the tend at the moment.. was thinking of putting it at the side of the tent where the flap that opens with the mesh. So the cool air would be pulled through the tent. Then get two ossilating clip on fans to circulate air inside...?

LED at the moment is way out of reach for me unfortunately but is definately my goal.. But I will go top of the range, don't want to fool around and get caught with sub par lights... Can think of far better ways to spend money at the moment.. Covid's got me on the floor and kicking me in the head...🤣😎😷

20210119_160801.jpg.a952dfa77209774e2e00c56715f2c7ab.jpg

For R200 bucks I think it's worth the try.

Edited by Stinger96
Spelling

15 minutes ago, Stinger96 said:

This is what it looks like.. I have the inline fan drawing air out the tend at the moment.. was thinking of putting it at the side of the tent where the flap that opens with the mesh. So the cool air would be pulled through the tent. Then get two ossilating clip on fans to circulate air inside...?

LED at the moment is way out of reach for me unfortunately but is definately my goal.. But I will go top of the range, don't want to fool around and get caught with sub par lights... Can think of far better ways to spend money at the moment.. Covid's got me on the floor and kicking me in the head...🤣😎😷

20210119_160801.jpg.a952dfa77209774e2e00c56715f2c7ab.jpg

For R200 bucks I think it's worth the try.

I'd say have the ducting for the extraction fan connected to the HID reflector and then blow the air out the tent - that way the air inside the tent will get sucked up towards the HID bulb and help remove the heat generated by the bulb out of the tent.

I'd also rather save that R200 and put it towards your Quantum Board fund.

• Agree 1

Howzit bud.. Thrips, and some grass hoppers.. some Gnats in there to..🤣 They were all dead.. I assumed you had a mother of a infestation on your last grow with it..

Did not bother any further yet. Have a trip to the Garden Route to drop some stock for customers. Will have it running the weekend. Still waiting for the plants to show sex. Will then pot up take cuttings neem them and then move them indoors.. That's the plan. Will see how it goes tho..

So I have the light connected the way @CreX suggested.. Still have heat and RH issues.. not as bad but almost the same.. Currently trying different configurations to try and see if I can find the sweet spot. The fan plays a major roll I would assume and the one I have in there now is not causing enough airflow.. The humidity in Kuilsriver seem to much lower than I was expecting.. With one test it went down to 35... What would be the lowest reading to have it acceptable? The best I could get it at was 55..

• Like 1

Ok so I'm biting the bullet and just doing it.. Put a extra fan on the tent and the temp hovers around 28°C.. RH now stands at around 42.. put a bowl of water in the tent and that seems to help.. 

I put the autos in there so should know by tomorrow if it was a bad mistake...😁

20210124_151619.thumb.jpg.73cb49da4d33475546d4671045be562a.jpg

20210124_151555.thumb.jpg.18643b52c47b93dc9528b6c9c68ce995.jpg

20210124_144203.thumb.jpg.d19d5026e32ee9cef1e0071ca0edfc2a.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the tent evolved somewhat and is now populated to the rim...😁

I think I have the fluctuations under control.. Temps range between 27 and 32 and RH 48-64.

The Autos are almost done.. I would say about a week for CM and 3 weeks for the MA.. The Totemic babies are almost size to flip and I can not wait..

20210206_092501.thumb.jpg.8bf06b454b86884f9ad8385da6355e1e.jpg

20210206_175931.thumb.jpg.050ca7283883d08be9b8a91c98bb47c1.jpg

CA

20210206_180016.thumb.jpg.83931ee17804917041605c8c43dfbb97.jpg

MA

20210207_181627.thumb.jpg.b64c1bc7dbfc8bd76d4486cb1fc8e71f.jpg

• Like 1

still very warm... when you have a heat issue.. working with a HID system.. will not help 😟 over 30.. you more or less bake your terpenes. Is one of those barriers you shouldn't cross or only on rare occasions.

If your Autos stay that small, is a heat issue, your roots are not happy, would be my opinion.

• Like 1

Thnx buddy.. Appreciate the input... I learn as I grow.. With this being my first Indoor grow I expect allot of painful school fees to be paid.. But I am prepared to learn.. At least next grow I'll be a bit more clued up..😊 

My tolerance is pretty weak.. so anything, doesn't make a difference As long as it's my own, I've always been happy...🤣

I've noticed a drop in smell in the tent.. Just thought is was me getting use to it..

And it is a week later and quite a few things happened.. Cut down the CM.. Very disappointed in the bud drying.. Verry airy after only 3 days and it seems as if it turned into leaves...🤣

20210214_100654.thumb.jpg.ff03b562a365b9fe0421c113f2ba5a01.jpg

The MA on the other hand is bulking up nicely and I am keeping a close eye on the tricomes..

20210219_211437.thumb.jpg.18f5f89f10a59c34ee3f0eb6c46a7342.jpg

The rest of the girls are showing signs of pre flower..

20210219_071507.thumb.jpg.9686d47d7f8ba252ce1d59194dd58504.jpg

I never could get the one DP to revege.. She's almost 3 weeks into flower now. Looks like a Auto that started flowering way early..

20210219_071511.thumb.jpg.8b4ef49be67d99177d6bf12a9ad7f931.jpg

20210219_211533.thumb.jpg.4b542a1398badfec5e6ce377cf5b1864.jpg

Looking forward to some variety for a change.. Have a Zurple Punch clone Gifted by @Totemicalso in early flower.. 

20210219_205404.thumb.jpg.a6122b67de6e6f1a90da22e7f5cf4651.jpg

• Like 2