I'm looking for my first indoor grow tent, need some advise and tips.

Khakibos

Good day ! 

So I've been saving up for a indoor setup for a while now and can finally start purchasing items. I'm looking at getting a small tent, I was going to build a grow box but with all the considerations I have to take into place a tent is the better option. I'm looking for something around 1m x 1m x 2m. 

I was looking at the following options: 

-Indoor Hydroponics Grow Tent (1m x 1m x 2m) | PlantLiving – Plant Living 

-Magic Garden - Tent 150/150/200 | Products | Greenthumb Hydroponics... (gthydro.co.za) 

-Buy The XL BudBox Pro Grow Tent - Pass The Dutch 

-LightHouse LITE 1.2 Indoor Grow Tent - Marijuana SA 

-Mars Grow Tent (120x120x200) - Aeradix South Africa

3 minutes ago, Khakibos said:

Good day ! 

So I've been saving up for a indoor setup for a while now and can finally start purchasing items. I'm looking at getting a small tent, I was going to build a grow box but with all the considerations I have to take into place a tent is the better option. I'm looking for something around 1m x 1m x 2m. 

Dude, check out this thread, I asked the same-ish question a while ago, it might help a little:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Khakibos said:

I actually had 2 of the Magic Garden tents from GTH and they were riddled with light leaks and the quality is FAR inferior to the BudBox or the Mars (I hear).

The extra R1300 for such a big leap in quality in a no-brainer for me. If you've been saving to buy your indoor kit and you settle for shitty quality over price you are going to be majorly disappointed a few weeks down the line when it comes flower time. If the R1300 extra is out of pocket, maybe save just a little longer, it'll be worth it to invest in quality.

Just my :-2cents take it or leave it 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donnob said:

I actually had 2 of the Magic Garden tents from GTH and they were riddled with light leaks and the quality is FAR inferior to the BudBox or the Mars (I hear).

The extra R1300 for such a big leap in quality in a no-brainer for me. If you've been saving to buy your indoor kit and you settle for shitty quality over price you are going to be majorly disappointed a few weeks down the line when it comes flower time. If the R1300 extra is out of pocket, maybe save just a little longer, it'll be worth it to invest in quality.

Just my :-2cents take it or leave it 🙂

Defiantly going to be spending a little extra and go for either the budbox or Mars tent ✌🏻 Now just to decide to which one 

Edited by Khakibos
  • Like 1

I do not recommend Mammoth. I am quite disappointed with the quality of mine, I expected better or a lower price to justify the quality.

I have heard good things about Mars tents and my friend loves his Mars tents. The quality looks good from what I have seen.

Budbox, I love mine! There are 2 gripes I have with it where I feel it could be improved to make it near perfect but not the end of the world either.

Secret Jardin is not bad either, but the quality varies depending on which range you are looking at.

Also a big no for the Magic Garden tents, even worse quality than Mammoth.

I'd also give that Plant Living tent a skip, seems to be a no name chinese tent and often the quality is questionable - despite the fact that some use metal corners.

Light House I have heard of but never seen in person @Ill_Evan may be able to give more info on the Light House tents. I think he has seen them in person.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

I do not recommend Mammoth. I am quite disappointed with the quality of mine, I expected better or a lower price to justify the quality.

I have heard good things about Mars tents and my friend loves his Mars tents. The quality looks good from what I have seen.

Budbox, I love mine! There are 2 gripes I have with it where I feel it could be improved to make it near perfect but not the end of the world either.

Secret Jardin is not bad either, but the quality varies depending on which range you are looking at.

Also a big no for the Magic Garden tents, even worse quality than Mammoth.

I'd also give that Plant Living tent a skip, seems to be a no name chinese tent and often the quality is questionable - despite the fact that some use metal corners.

Light House I have heard of but never seen in person @Ill_Evan may be able to give more info on the Light House tents. I think he has seen them in person.

Must agree with you on the Mammoth, I got a 1.2mx1.2m from Futurama last year June and my zip is giving me issues and some light leaks by the zips. My smaller China Town tent that I bought 2nd hand(older than 4 years) the zips are still perfect and no light leaks around the zip. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Batista said:

Hey, what light do you intend using in the tent? emoji848.png

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

I looked more into mars hydro and saw these tent & light combos. 

Mars Combo FC-3000 - Aeradix | Mars-Hydro South Africa

-Mars Combo TSL-2000 - Aeradix | Mars-Hydro South Africa (I'm extremely keen on this combo even though the tent is smaller, will be easier to manage in the space its going in)

-Mars Combo FCE-4800 - Aeradix | Mars-Hydro South Africa

Edit: I have seen some great reviews of the lights from Powerful LED Quantum Board Grow lights - Light It Up Store and they are also on my list.  

1.  100 x 100 x 180 tent w/  240W Quantum Board LED Grow Light - Light It Up 

2. this 120 x 60 x 180 tent combo Mars Combo TSL-2000 - Aeradix | Mars-Hydro South Africa   

Edited by Khakibos
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 5:34 PM, Khakibos said:

I looked more into mars hydro and saw these tent & light combos. 

Mars Combo FC-3000 - Aeradix | Mars-Hydro South Africa

-Mars Combo TSL-2000 - Aeradix | Mars-Hydro South Africa (I'm extremely keen on this combo even though the tent is smaller, will be easier to manage in the space its going in)

-Mars Combo FCE-4800 - Aeradix | Mars-Hydro South Africa

Edit: I have seen some great reviews of the lights from Powerful LED Quantum Board Grow lights - Light It Up Store and they are also on my list.  

1.  100 x 100 x 180 tent w/  240W Quantum Board LED Grow Light - Light It Up 

2. this 120 x 60 x 180 tent combo Mars Combo TSL-2000 - Aeradix | Mars-Hydro South Africa   

Option 1 gives you a larger grow area (1sqm vs 0.72sqm on the 1.2m x 0.6m tent).

More space is always welcome! Based on this I would recommend option 1.

In terms of the lights, well, you have seen the reviews. 😄 

Let us know what you decide and then start a grow diary for your indoor grow!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Option 1 gives you a larger grow area (1sqm vs 0.72sqm on the 1.2m x 0.6m tent).

More space is always welcome! Based on this I would recommend option 1.

In terms of the lights, well, you have seen the reviews. 😄 

Let us know what you decide and then start a grow diary for your indoor grow!

I'm just having a hard time deciding what light to go with 😆 

22 minutes ago, Khakibos said:

I'm just having a hard time deciding what light to go with 😆 

Well, I think both are decent.

I personally would get a light with some Samsung LM301B/H diodes - I have been growing with LM301B diodes for over 3 years and they're awesome and still some of the best value for money diodes around which are tried and tested. Most of my friends also use lights with the Samsung LM301B diodes and no complaints, they're just happy and impressed with the performance compared to the lights they were using previously.

Epistar diodes are also good but I feel the Samsung LM301B has the upper hand in terms of efficiency. I do not think Mars Hydro state which Epistar diodes they make use of, so cannot pull the specs and confirm. I doubt the Epistar diodes are more efficient than the Samsungs though.

Is it just those 2 lights which you are considering?

Based on the pricing I can find, the below is the price per watt. Might be more useful comparing value this way considering the one light is 240W and the other is 300W.

Light It Up: R17.70

Mars Hydro: R29.33

In a 1.2m x 0.6m tent (you said it would fit better in the space you had) 240W would be sufficient I feel.

In a 1m x 1m tent (I feel a bigger tent is the way to go, the space will always be appreciated) having more than 240W would be nice but you can get good results with just 240W in the 1m x 1m still.

When taking price into consideration, you could spend the same amount of money on 2x 240W lights for a total of 480W vs 1x Mars TSL-2000 which is 300W.

Both are dimmable lights, both are silent and fan less.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Hey guys, so thanks for all the input ! 

I really appreciate it ! 

With all the load shedding we've been having (2-3 hours a day) I decided if I'm going to invest this much $$$ in a grow setup and genetics I might as well do it properly. I've got an electrician (a family friend thankfully) to come check out some stuff and give me some options regarding backup power.  I've been looking into it heavily the past few days hopefully it will only put me back by a few months if even, I didn't really factor this into my original budget as I didn't think about it until we got load shedding again the other day🤦‍♂️ 

@ORGANinc. I saw it today but I'd hate to pick them up and have them sit around for a month or longer not doing anything in all honesty 💔 

Edited by Khakibos
  • Like 1