Grow Tent Choice

donnob

Hey guys! I'm looking to upgrade my flower tent because I'm a little concerned about the material letting in pinhole lights and light coming in through the seams/zips. They were bought from Green Thumb Hydro a while ago and they are now overdue for an upgrade. I honestly don't think they were the best quality to start off with but it got me through boot camp. I'll still keep the 1 to veg and the other to dry but I'm looking for a decent flower tent.

After a little research and browsing I've narrowed it down to a choice of 2. Are these choices any good and does anyone have any experience or insights they could share? 

1. BudBox PRO White XXL (1.2m x 2.4m x 2m)

2. Mars Grow Tent (1.2m x 2.4m x 2m)

I have a Budbox tent (same as the one you listed) and it is awesome! Overall the best tent I have used to date, not perfect though. A few things do frustrate me but not the end of the world.

A friend has a Mars tent and the quality seems good and he really likes it.

The GT Hydro tents were not great quality to begin with.

Mammoth isn't bad, but I feel they are overpriced for the quality. I was disappointed with mine as it has light leaks via the zip from factory and small, skinny poles which rust easily.

Secret Jardin tents I had were not bad either, but there is a difference between the Hydro Shoot series and the Dark Street series. The latter being the better tent and a bit pricier, comes with some nice features but I prefer my Budbox overall. I'd take Secret Jardin over Mammoth if either were a consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I have a Budbox tent (same as the one you listed) and it is awesome! Overall the best tent I have used to date, not perfect though. A few things do frustrate me but not the end of the world.

A friend has a Mars tent and the quality seems good and he really likes it.

The GT Hydro tents were not great quality to begin with.

Mammoth isn't bad, but I feel they are overpriced for the quality. I was disappointed with mine as it has light leaks via the zip from factory and small, skinny poles which rust easily.

Secret Jardin tents I had were not bad either, but there is a difference between the Hydro Shoot series and the Dark Street series. The latter being the better tent and a bit pricier, comes with some nice features but I prefer my Budbox overall. I'd take Secret Jardin over Mammoth if either were a consideration.

Plus one (1)

Howsit bro!

I have used a mammoth tent in the past, a small one, quality is pretty decent but mine also had some light leaks on the zipper. If you properly line up the zipper strip in the inside(not sure if you know what i am referring too) then it solves the issue. Didn't really come with any extras either.

I have recently bought a mars hydro tent, I see they have a new version available which is the one I got. I love this tent. Feels super solid and much better than the Mammoth.

When I was looking I was deciding between, Mammoth, Mars and Secret Jardin and BudBox

SJ was too expensive for me so I went with Mars over the mammoth as the Mars had extra height. I am so glad I went with the new spec Mars tent, I really love it.

Came with 2 floor liners(Don't know if I just got lucky), a patch repair kit and a hangable pouch for inside the tent and some awesome stickers lol 

I also like that the mars has metal connectors vs the plastic ones that come with the mammoth.

I have no advice on the budbox though, was also an option for me but could not get any solid recommendations so decided against taking a chance.

Edited by Q9550
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Q9550 said:

Howsit bro!

I have used a mammoth tent in the past, a small one, quality is pretty decent but mine also had some light leaks on the zipper. If you properly line up the zipper strip in the inside(not sure if you know what i am referring too) then it solves the issue. Didn't really come with any extras either.

I have recently bought a mars hydro tent, I see they have a new version available which is the one I got. I love this tent. Feels super solid and much better than the Mammoth.

When I was looking I was deciding between, Mammoth, Mars and Secret Jardin and BudBox

SJ was too expensive for me so I went with Mars over the mammoth as the Mars had extra height. I am so glad I went with the new spec Mars tent, I really love it.

Came with 2 floor liners(Don't know if I just got lucky), a patch repair kit and a hangable pouch for inside the tent and some awesome stickers lol 

I also like that the mars has metal connectors vs the plastic ones that come with the mammoth.

I have no advice on the budbox though, was also an option for me but could not get any solid recommendations so decided against taking a chance.

This is great info also, so it basically this is going to come down to the minor difference of the 2 tents then seeing that the build quality on both is pretty good.

@The_StonedTrooper and @PsyCLown, they claim the white reflective of the BudBox runs cooler than conventional mylar, have you noticed this at all with your tents?

• Like 1

@donnob I have not really looked to see whether there is any difference in temps between the Budbox and Mammoth tent.

The Budbox comes with metal corners and the polesall clip and lock into place - very nice and easy to setup and the poles are powder coated black and are thicker than what the Mammoth and Secret Jardin came with.

I have seen the Pinelab tents for sale, but recall them being really expensive. Would be curious as to how they compare to a Budbox for instance. Never seen one in person.

The things which frustrate me on my Budbox are mainly the pull ties, it is not as easy to pull them as the one material seems to be a grippy material. Not the end of the world as it is not something I adjust often.

Then the zip to open the right side completely can be a bit frustrating to work with - I see there is a metal zip version and a plastic zip version. The plastic zip version is easier to work with compared to the metal zip version. When I say frustrating to work with, to unzip is easy and to zip up is easy, it is aligning both sides of the tent to be able to start zipping it up. For some reason the plastic zip is just easier to get aligned.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

@donnob I have not really looked to see whether there is any difference in temps between the Budbox and Mammoth tent.

The Budbox comes with metal corners and the polesall clip and lock into place - very nice and easy to setup and the poles are powder coated black and are thicker than what the Mammoth and Secret Jardin came with.

I have seen the Pinelab tents for sale, but recall them being really expensive. Would be curious as to how they compare to a Budbox for instance. Never seen one in person.

The things which frustrate me on my Budbox are mainly the pull ties, it is not as easy to pull them as the one material seems to be a grippy material. Not the end of the world as it is not something I adjust often.

Then the zip to open the right side completely can be a bit frustrating to work with - I see there is a metal zip version and a plastic zip version. The plastic zip version is easier to work with compared to the metal zip version. When I say frustrating to work with, to unzip is easy and to zip up is easy, it is aligning both sides of the tent to be able to start zipping it up. For some reason the plastic zip is just easier to get aligned.

The price is pretty steep for the PineLabs and I think the shipping threw me off a little too even though it seems minor in the bigger scheme of things. It's like you're already groaning about the big investment but you're still all in and wiling to bite the bullet but then they smash you with a shipping that just pushes your mind into a different direction, "the straw that broke the camel's back" scenario. 

I understand the quality of the PineLabs looks amazing but I think I should be aiming for a good all-rounder and bang for buck is part of that criteria for me. The BudBox looks like good value for money, despite the little nuances that piss you off 🤣

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Not sure how much space you have, but there is a 2nd hand 2.4 x 2.4 Budbox tent up for sale in the classified at a really good price.

Yea I saw that, bummer it's too wide for me. I have a 3m x 3m space and I also want to keep my other 2 tents for vegging and drying, but that is a good deal though

• Like 1

I have a 1,5 x 1,5 BUD Box Pro, a Secret Jardin 160 Lodge and a Mars Hydro 60cmx1,2m.
My bud box is amazing especially because it has side windows, so unlike the others, you can partially open and access the inside without unzipping the entire frikkin tent. This is my major gripe about the SJ and Mars. ( in fairness they were cheaper)
The Mars was bought just as a drying tent and I must say I’m impressed with the build quality.
The bud box was replaced under warranty as the main front zip broke during my first grow. The supplier was very good about it and swapped it for a new one.
The replacement is on its second grow and the main front zip on the new one is also a bit iffy so I mostly avoid unzipping it completely.
I can’t speak to light leaks since my room is pitch black and I grow auto’s.
Overall I really like the bud box pro, love the white interior and the side access windows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dookie69 said:

I have a 1,5 x 1,5 BUD Box Pro, a Secret Jardin 160 Lodge and a Mars Hydro 60cmx1,2m.
My bud box is amazing especially because it has side windows, so unlike the others, you can partially open and access the inside without unzipping the entire frikkin tent. This is my major gripe about the SJ and Mars. ( in fairness they were cheaper)
The Mars was bought just as a drying tent and I must say I’m impressed with the build quality.
The bud box was replaced under warranty as the main front zip broke during my first grow. The supplier was very good about it and swapped it for a new one.
The replacement is on its second grow and the main front zip on the new one is also a bit iffy so I mostly avoid unzipping it completely.
I can’t speak to light leaks since my room is pitch black and I grow auto’s.
Overall I really like the bud box pro, love the white interior and the side access windows.

Thanks man, this seems to be the general consensus all around.. the Mars is a solidly built tent but the BudBox reigns champ

• Like 1