Totemic copycat strains

Totemic

15 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

The word is, they are legit, and they are owned by Crop King.

There are a few actual sites that talk about them in good manner, and a few reddit comments about them, all show they are a company and they have sold seeds, and there are some good reports on the grows too.

This still doesn't excuse or explain

Makes it even more unbelievable that my cross is actually listed there. I consider myself approachable and would gladly ship my seeds to anywhere in there world if the world wants them. Why as Crop King risk your reputation by listing a cross that is just barely available from a single breeder. It's not a common cross, and is the only chocolate Gelato listed on seed finder. Sure there will definitely be chocolate Gelatos stemming off the cookies lines coming from the US, but none with Chocolope NL in the lineage

Edited by Totemic
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

I'm going to email them, if you dont mind or have objection. 

Wont bring you into the mix, or the issue, only feel the conversation and what details on that strain I can obtain?

Feel free to mail them... 

I just have, although my enquiry was a bit more direct to the issue. Let's see what happens. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Feel free to mail them... 

I just have, although my enquiry was a bit more direct to the issue. Let's see what happens. 

Oh no, if you have, I'll stand back and wait for the outcome 🙌

Was hoping to get you details you'd possibly not receive, giving you vital information and ammo.

Edited by The_StonedTrooper

16 minutes ago, Marzcanna said:

I wounder if @Totemicand crop king both woke up one day with the same cross idea 🤔......... Unlikely 😂 

Its possible,

That someone who is on here, who once lived overseas, spoke highly of this strain to a friend, who then decide to make the same, from the hype he heard?

That this company is or was a guest on here, and has seen things and wanted the same?

Like they did with GSC, or any strain, unless its copyrighten (name that is)

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
  • Like 1

So I actually got a response to my mail from Sunwest. 

Hello,

We work with many breeders all over the world with new crosses, if we have anything close to your product it was completely accidental. We are willing to look into this if you would provide any legal documents pertaining to your strains and the legitimacy of your claim that we are being purposefully dishonest.

Thank you,

Aweful response in my opinion, as there is no way the cross, its description are accidental or coincidence. 

Their legal posture is a quandry, since providing proof in this matter has to take it to the labs for analysis... 

I have been working on a solution to this problem though, and soon Totemic seeds will be available from an authorized distributor state side, so that those peeps can get the benefit from getting the real deal from the real breeder, at a fraction of the price these sunwest genetics okes are trying to charge. 

• Like 4

The only big seed bank selling total crap and me boycotting it, is Canadian. Pacific Seed Bank.. total joke.. they sell crap by default, don't touch them. The seed strains are not what you get... got 3 strains, 2 planted, both don't match what I actually ordered. The Medical seeds have more THC content then CBD.. as said.. easy ordering seeds. If you do not know the seed bank, read up. Check Redit what people say.. you get a warning.. stay away! You just waste your hard earned money on SCAMMERS.

Is like down here, there are also people scamming others over seeds... I would say Sunwest are on the same track. A seed bank to warn people and simply ignore them.. name and shame is all we can do. Rest, I wouldn't even bother... 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

All I hear is,

Yes, we got your seeds from a local guy, and now we have our own team breeding them here, from those seeds bought (or the previous grow off perhaps)?

And there isn't anything you can do about it, legal jargon. 

That reply on it's own, screams guilt 

Whatever the case, doesn't matter much... If they actually have the right genetics there and it's mine, I hope they work magic with their line

• Like 2

This looks a matter of intellectual property infringement and, unfortunately, unless you obtain a patent (plant variety rights) for your breeding, it would basically be impossible to claim infringement of intellectual property rights. PVRs are also difficult to obtain (although encouraged to do so) and requires thorough testing for a period of 2 years to determine the following:

Distinctness

A variety must be clearly distinguishable from any other existing variety by one or more characteristics.

Uniformity

Individual plants of the same variety must be sufficiently uniform in a range of key characteristics.

Stability

A plant variety is considered to be stable if it reproduces true to type from one generation to the next.

Plant Variety Rights are granted for a period of 25 years for all species except trees, vines and potatoes, which have a period of 30 years.

source: https://www.plantvarietyrights.org/plant-variety-rights.html

——————————————

It may be in your interest to browse through their strains to see whether this has been done before with other strains in which case social justice can be taken through means boycotting and whistle blowing, although, one must be careful not assume infringement as it may result in defamation and thereafter damages. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately the reality is that if you do not have any documents proving that something / idea is legitimately yours, than it's not. I own a couple of businesses myself and I have had ideas stolen / copied by my competitors, it's baiscly the same thing we seeing here, I didn't have any documentation to prove its my ideas, so technically it's their word against mine, today their business is pumping millions and if I'm to say that business copied some of my ideas people will laugh at me because of being the much smaller business. It's the reality of things and unfortunately how some people work. @Totemicunfortunately can not prove its his own strain and therefore they can easily claim it as their own especially if they do get documents for it, it may be your idea, your strain, your hard work but in court of law those papers say otherwise. It's sucks I know that better than anyone else 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stefan said:

This looks a matter of intellectual property infringement and, unfortunately, unless you obtain a patent (plant variety rights) for your breeding, it would basically be impossible to claim infringement of intellectual property rights. PVRs are also difficult to obtain (although encouraged to do so) and requires thorough testing for a period of 2 years to determine the following:

Distinctness

A variety must be clearly distinguishable from any other existing variety by one or more characteristics.

Uniformity

Individual plants of the same variety must be sufficiently uniform in a range of key characteristics.

Stability

A plant variety is considered to be stable if it reproduces true to type from one generation to the next.

Plant Variety Rights are granted for a period of 25 years for all species except trees, vines and potatoes, which have a period of 30 years.

source: https://www.plantvarietyrights.org/plant-variety-rights.html

——————————————

It may be in your interest to browse through their strains to see whether this has been done before with other strains in which case social justice can be taken through means boycotting and whistle blowing, although, one must be careful not assume infringement as it may result in defamation and thereafter damages. 

Yeah man, you'll never see me register my crosses for plant rights... I want to share my stuff not protect it, or stop other people from growing them out, and working them further. 

It would just be a shame if someone bought those seeds expecting strong Thai sativa influence as I've bred in, and only getting a GSC that has been renamed. 

But this situation has reminded me of the importance of test data, and something that will become a norm with my breeding practices. 

The science is becoming accessible and I'll be using it

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Yeah man, you'll never see me register my crosses for plant rights... I want to share my stuff not protect it, or stop other people from growing them out, and working them further. 

I fully understand and my comment was not campaigned at withholding your strains from the world, but more of protection from people using your goodwill to generate income for your hard work, also protection in the sense that your cross name and business can get damaged from poor imitations. 

plant variety rights does not prevent sharing but will require permission from the holder to ‘work them further’ as you say. Which I see in the industry by means of referencing the breeders of mother plants.

I’m not sure how often plant variety rights are requested in the industry but given that some breeders give credit to previous breeders shows it is present or at least in sense of morality(give credit where it’s due). 

thought this thread was missing a legal POV😊 

• Like 2