Daggafontein Gardener's Delight Mix - Living Soil Experiment

Candyman

Hey everyone,

I'm keen on doing a bit of an experiment and thought it would be a great way to get going on the forum.
I'm doing an outdoor living soil type grow with some local genetics from Daggafontein. Their Gardener's Delight Mix. 

I'm so used to growing bagseed, I thought it would be a good start to dip my toes into some better local genetics. I also got some of DG's Diesoline and Candy IV seeds,
but that grow might only happen next season. Got a few things going already this season.

So, some general info about the grow. Like I said, I want to experiment with a living soil type of grow. I'm used to soil and organics, 
but only recently have I started to focus on beneficial microbial life and their role in growing strong and healthy organic plants that are pest and disease resistant.
I have a few shops close by that stock Bark Unlimited Organics range of products. They are local to me and easily available, so to keep things simple, I will try and stick with them.
I'm going to use 12 liter and 20 liter fabric pots and fill them with a mix of coco coir, BUO outdoor potting soil, homemade compost (hot + cold), vermicastings from my own worm bin, 
vermiculite, some bone meal and some Bio Ocean pellets from Atlantic Fertilizers. For a mulch layer I'm using BUO Bark Chips. 

The only other stuff I intend on using for this grow is some liquid kelp + probiotic mix for foliar and my own compost extract.
For pest control, I plan on using neem oil with some selected essential oils, diatomaceous earth (also for the silica content) and castile liquid soap from PureSimple.
Water ensured to be chlorine and chloramine free and PH adjusted to be between 6 and 7.

So let's get this show going shall we?

04 November 2020

I picked 6 random seeds from the 20 Gardener's Delight Mix seeds (GDM) I got from Daggafontein and into the shot glass with some proper water they went.

They were left for about 5 hours in the glass before transferring them to a paper towel.

05 November 2020

After about 30 hours since going into water, one of the seeds popped and the taproot was showing. I decided not to wait with this one and transferred it into a 8cm plastic cup filled with BUO Super Hemp Soil and some compost extract to wet and inoculate the medium and then I misted the surface of the soil until properly wet.

I'm going to keep the seedlings indoor for the first two weeks about. I'm also going to add supplemental light to extend light hours. I'm using a 250w MH for this purpose as it's what I have.

Excited to see what this grow will deliver... :-rollitup

DaggafonteinGDMix.jpg

GDMixShot.jpg

Edited by Candyman
photos
  • Like 5

07 November

If all goes to plan, it's about two weeks before I will transplant the seedlings to their fabrics pots outside. I decided to mix the soil today and let it sit for the period leading up to transplant.

I used a 150l rough tote for mixing everything. The mix consisted of 1 x 5kg coco coir brick, 90dm outdoor potting soil, roughly 15dm vermicastings and 15dm compost from my own bins.

I eyeballed the vermiculite and topped it off with some Bio Ocean pellets and about half a cup bone meal.

The total water used to hydrate the coco coir was 60l of tap water, to which I added 1000mg of ascorbic acid for chlorine and chloramine removal and let it sit for a while. Ph was tested to be in neutral range

Update on the seeds: The first seed that popped on the 5th and got transferred to germination mix, is still underground. I usually plant them very shallow with taproot down and only the slightest of soil covering. I would have expected to see some action above the ground by today. 2 Other seeds also popped and have the taproot peeking out, but I'm going to hang back maybe a day with them before putting them in the soil. They seem to be a bit slower to respond than what I'm used to.

Still amazes me to see how much water a single 5kg coco coir brick can absorb. This is 1 brick and 60l of water. 

SoilMix1.thumb.jpg.33e3fcaa55ac295753c744ce225e7803.jpgSoilMix2.thumb.jpg.f496217e841be88f604a23a7e7ddaad4.jpgSoilMix3.thumb.jpg.3e77c13ccb36895736e770f86224aecb.jpg

• Like 5

10 November 2020

Quick update. The first seed that popped is still below ground. The second seed that popped was first to break the soil.

5 of the 6 seeds has popped. 2 Are still on the paper towel while the other 4 are in the soil.

First...

First.thumb.jpg.4022bb04927fd5a4205dca5a57529e98.jpg

Edited by Candyman
  • Like 2

13 November 2020

I must admit I am a little disappointed by the DG Gardener's Delight seeds. So far, they fail to bring any delight...

Of the 5/6 seeds that have germinated, the seed that popped first, rotted in the soil. Only two have made it above ground, while I'm still waiting for two more that are in the soil to show some action above the ground.

I though about @Bakstein420 mentioning above about the hemp soil mix maybe being a bit too hot, so I took 8 seeds from my selection of Swazi hybrid bagseed and did exactly with them as I did with the DG Gardeners Delight. All 8 swazi seeds germinated within 48 hours on wet paper towel. They were transferred to cups with super hemp soil mix and by the next day all of them were showing some action above the ground. They look healthy and as expected at this point, so unless my bagseed can handle hot soil much better that the DG GD seeds, I don't see any issues with the soil mix I'm using.

I wonder how old the seed from DG is? Would be nice if breeders were to date their seeds for the market...

I have 2 DG Diesoline seeds on paper towel currently waiting to pop, so that I can replace the empty spots I have. It's been 48 hours, no luck yet.

This was the 2nd seed to pop and first to show above the ground on the 10th. Numbered DG-GD #2

3656.thumb.jpg.df99f9af2261e638dd6cfad7a9a03c02.jpg

4th seed to pop, 2nd to show above the ground. Numbered DG-GD #4

3658.thumb.jpg.f6be3e859c2b9bb67d98b8bb0e9196b3.jpg

The Swazi-Hybrid from bagseed, in the same soil to test germination and soil condition. 100% Success (8/8).

3659.thumb.jpg.7392005b0adf65b14d0b86d1faf75a39.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If your beans don't pop after 48 hours... they are not the freshest seeds. Also check how you store your own seeds. Vacuum container, fridge.. you can also freeze them gentle.

Seeds from a seed bank run a bit with a "protection", at least the good ones do it. I buy 10 and have 1-2 duds.. I accept it in general. But if I have more fails.. I usually let them know and the only response you should get is: we send the replacement seeds to the same address? 

If you buy seeds, don't feel shy to tell them, if the seeds are not doing as they should. I had a bad batch once from Nirvana (marijuanaseeds.co.za) and they replaced me the full amount seeds I bought and send to me the same day I wrote the complain. The time you lost will always be the annoying part. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I will definitely make contact with the breeder and let him know of my failures.

This morning, I decided to check on the two seeds that germinated, but were still below ground. I carefully removed them from the soil and rinsed them.

This is a week since they germinated and were transferred to soil. They look like the day I took them from the paper towel. They are completely stunted. So out of 6 seeds that I started with, I have two that successfully made it to the seedling stage. I'm still waiting on the 2 Diesoline seeds as well. No sign of popping and it's been more than 72 hours. Seems like this is turning into another Swazi hybrid grow for me.... 8-)

3670.thumb.jpg.dede7c536518be815b6a352fabe7468e.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Candyman, sorry to see you are having problems with our seeds. We will definitely replace your beans or give you a refund. I'll DM you next.

This is the first we have heard of germination issues this season and we appreciate any feedback we get. We have run germination tests recently on Gardeners Delight and had 28/30 pop successfully and are now healthy plants growing at a rapid rate. I have forwarded your post to Stu (our genetics dude) and will update you as soon as I have his feedback as to what could have gone wrong. Our seeds are from the 2019/20 grow season, harvested in March this year.

For reference, the attached images below show our latest test grow. The seeds were planted 0.5-1cm below soil and germinated directly in the coir pots, without a pre-soak as the pots sitting in water keep them moist enough. First signs of them popping was after 4 days. We prefer this method as we don't have to worry about damage during transplant and the tap root gets a chance to properly take hold. We then put the coir pot and seedling directly in the soil. This method has worked a treat. I will be running tests next week using the method you used.

Sorry for any inconvenience and disappointment, hopefully we can make up for it.

iRiE
Bob

GD_test1.png

GD_test2.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hey Candyman, sorry to see you are having problems with our seeds. We will definitely replace your beans or give you a refund. I'll DM you next.
This is the first we have heard of germination issues this season and we appreciate any feedback we get. We have run germination tests recently on Gardeners Delight and had 28/30 pop successfully and are now healthy plants growing at a rapid rate. I have forwarded your post to Stu (our genetics dude) and will update you as soon as I have his feedback as to what could have gone wrong. Our seeds are from the 2019/20 grow season, harvested in March this year.
For reference, the attached images below show our latest test grow. The seeds were planted 0.5-1cm below soil and germinated directly in the coir pots, without a pre-soak as the pots sitting in water keep them moist enough. First signs of them popping was after 4 days. We prefer this method as we don't have to worry about damage during transplant and the tap root gets a chance to properly take hold. We then put the coir pot and seedling directly in the soil. This method has worked a treat. I will be running tests next week using the method you used.
Sorry for any inconvenience and disappointment, hopefully we can make up for it.
iRiE
Bob
GD_test1.thumb.png.2c39402a45685850f1b64b7e7edf94da.png
GD_test2.thumb.png.29fffde1459566cdc7e1faaffcddc561.png
Service delivery with a smile. Good work.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bakstein420 said:

That is really unlucky bro. Maybe try reach out to @Daggafontein Genetics , they might be willing to help.

@Bakstein420 Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention 💚👊

40 minutes ago, Candyman said:

Thank you so much Bob. I replied to your DM.

Like I said, I'm still very much excited to get some Gardener's Delight going, so I'm going to try germinating directly in coir pots and see how that turns out. 

That makes us happy. We will do whatever we can to make this work.

I have just been chatting to Stu and we will be running dual tests next week using your method. Different outdoor growing environments, random 20 seeds from the mix, and will report back on the success rate. I suspect there are a host of reasons why your success rate was so low, and hopefully we can work out what went wrong. Besides my tests, Stu has had a 100% germination rate on his tests - sadly no pics. 

The main reason why we do it the way we do, is too many variables and potential issues relating to the transplant. For germination we have had great success using just coco coir as the medium or Freedom Farms Classic soil. Our most recent tests (images in previous comment) use Just Cannabis mix and we are very happy with the results.

Germination in coco coir without any nutrients (not hot) actually works a treat. The seeds seem to have enough nutrients to keep it going for the first couple of weeks. After the first week we pot the seedling and coir pot into the richer mix, their final destination which in our case are mostly black 20 litre plastic bags. The roots shoot through the coir pots in no time. 

We really do appreciate feedback, so thanks!

iRiE
Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is awesome info. Thanks for the help Bob. Let's try again and see if a fresh start helps.

I'm currently busy prepping everything to get some seeds in coir cups and I realized that there is a possibility that some water I mixed for a foliar spray for some other plants, got used to mist the soil after transplanting the seeds initially. This only contained water and some kelp extract at recommended dilution levels for foliar application. I might have forgotten that I put some kelp extract in and used this thinking it's only water. Can the hormones in kelp cause the stunted behavior I experienced? Anyway, it might have happened, but it is definitely not something I ever do to seeds or very young seedlings.

• Like 2

Bit of an update...

I'll have to order some coir pots. I don't have a local supplier that carries stock. In the meantime, I still have some seeds so today I sowed 4 DG Gardeners Delights Seeds and 4 DG Diesoline Seeds directly into small plastic cups with fresh germination mix. The two DG GD seedlings that survived round 1 are coming along nicely. For ease of record keeping I renumbered them to DG-GD #1 and DG-DG #2 according to their germination date and will now follow with the other 4 that I have planted today as well as the 4 Diesoline seeds. The other 2 Diesoline seeds that went onto paper towel on the 11th, haven't pop yet and I'm not holding my breath.

DG-GD#1 (right) and #2 

3672.thumb.jpg.b42fc5917339b139a36fb46c5aa3b9f8.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Candyman said:

Bit of an update...

I'll have to order some coir pots. I don't have a local supplier that carries stock. In the meantime, I still have some seeds so today I sowed 4 DG Gardeners Delights Seeds and 4 DG Diesoline Seeds directly into small plastic cups with fresh germination mix. The two DG GD seedlings that survived round 1 are coming along nicely. For ease of record keeping I renumbered them to DG-GD #1 and DG-DG #2 according to their germination date and will now follow with the other 4 that I have planted today as well as the 4 Diesoline seeds. The other 2 Diesoline seeds that went onto paper towel on the 11th, haven't pop yet and I'm not holding my breath.

DG-GD#1 (right) and #2 

3672.thumb.jpg.b42fc5917339b139a36fb46c5aa3b9f8.jpg

Those pots look quite wet. Try and get a good wet dry cycle going. Plants will grow well.

How much? And how often are u watering?

• Like 1

I misted the soil just before taking the photos. I only use a fine misting spray to water in those pots and then it depends on how hot it is. Today was very hot and those small pots can dry out very quickly. I try and give them enough dry time before watering again and keep an eye on them. If they start wilting or drooping in the heat and the soil looks somewhat dry, I mist the surface again. Luckily in a few days time I'll move them into 7l fabrics pots to start off with. Watering should be less of an issue then. 

• Like 1

I was super stoked this morning when my package arrived from @Daggafontein Genetics. Not only did they resend me a pack of Gardener's Delight seeds, they also send me a pack of African Buddha seeds and some coir pots as well!

That is 5 star customer service right there! Thank you Bob and Daggafontein Genetics. You guys rock!

To top it off, all 4 Gardeners Delight seeds that I have planted on Sunday 15th have germinated and are going along happy and strong. No action from the 4 Diesoline seeds that I planted the same day. I also planted 4 Candy IV seeds from Daggafontein on the 16th and 2 of them have germinated and are breaking through the soil. I've made some extra space and the African Buddha will make a very welcome appearance as well... :-rollitup

DG-GD #1-5

3711.thumb.jpg.b1a7d587f4c3ce04c63563814f1a989d.jpg

DG-GD #6 DG-CANDY IV #1-2

3713.thumb.jpg.2967e8f0ecc81a1b8ab423b3ceae0cc8.jpg

DG - African Buddha - Planted 2020/11/20

3715.thumb.jpg.fb56b86f6639ea476710a0dad19e91b5.jpg

6 Swazi I decided to keep from the 13th

3708.thumb.jpg.f5275deec37a21f41c92025fd9796b9e.jpg

• Like 5

What medium you running there? - looks very "Barky" - Id be a bit worried the medium is a bit too hot for seedlings, especially since (if i recall correctly) the previous seeds didnt do well because of the medium, wasnt it?

Im sure you corrected that if that was the casea already but just keep a close eye as the leaves look a tad bit light for my liking, however might just be the strain

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Psylecta said:

What medium you running there? - looks very "Barky" - Id be a bit worried the medium is a bit too hot for seedlings, especially since (if i recall correctly) the previous seeds didnt do well because of the medium, wasnt it?

Im sure you corrected that if that was the casea already but just keep a close eye as the leaves look a tad bit light for my liking, however might just be the strain

Yes, I agree. That medium isn't the greatest for seedlings. School fees... I'm getting something better to replace it with. 

1 hour ago, Candyman said:

Yes, I agree. That medium isn't the greatest for seedlings. School fees... I'm getting something better to replace it with. 

Cant go wrong with a Coco/perlite premix - once seedlings are say 3 weeks you can transplant them to organic pot with no worries

Edited by Psylecta
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Candyman said:

I was super stoked this morning when my package arrived from @Daggafontein Genetics. Not only did they resend me a pack of Gardener's Delight seeds, they also send me a pack of African Buddha seeds and some coir pots as well!

That is 5 star customer service right there! Thank you Bob and Daggafontein Genetics. You guys rock! 

Props to @Daggafontein Genetics :-clap...

I'm stoked you had a positive outcome bro @Candyman :rastabanana

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Decided this morning to transplant all the seedlings to slightly bigger pots with a better medium. I'm not happy with the BO Hemp soil as a medium for seedlings. It's too hot with too much compost and "barky" material and too little coco and perlite to use for seedlings.

Maybe this will save someone else from going through the same frustration. The nursery, one of the biggest names in Pretoria, sold it to me as a germination mix. It's not. It's a good compost, amended with some coco, vermiculite, perlite and worm castings. Good for mature plants that can handle rich organic matter, not for seedlings.

Bought some Gorilla Mix and transplanted all the DG seedlings to this medium. 

From Left to Right:

4 x DG African Buddha

4 x DG Candy IV

6 x DG Gardeners Delight

3735.thumb.jpg.77fe0e44c6bd88c01c7a092e787699ab.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...