Wulf

Dear fellow growers

Trust that everone is doing well.

I wanted to say hi to all.I am very new to the scene and will be attempting my very first grow.

I have managed to get freedom farms soil, (the living soil,the one in the green bag, from @Stinger96, what a brilliant guy, he really done me a solid by transporting the soil to me 70kms away at no extra cost).

I also got fabric grow bags from @Stinger96, he has suggested that I use the 30 liter bags, but im still toying around with the idea of 20 liter and maybe even 10 liter bags.

So I will be growing 3 different types of plants, please see below for links: 

https://marijuanasa.co.za/product/girl-scout-cookies-autoflowering/

New Girl Scout Cookies – Indica Dominant:

Breeder: MSA Seeds
Sex: Feminized
Variety: Indica-Dominant
Strain Genetics: Durban Poison X OG Kush
Flowering Type: Autoflower
Flowering Time: 10 Weeks from Sprout
Where to Grow: Indoor, Greenhouse, Outdoor
Medical Conditions: Depression, Fatigue, Stress
Taste / Flavor: Chemical, Diesel, Haze, Lemon
Effect: Active, Cerebral, Creative, Energetic, Euphoric
Plant Height: 75-160cm
CBD Content: <1%
Yield: 400-450g/m²

https://marijuanasa.co.za/product/super-lemon-haze-auto/

Super Lemon Haze Auto Feml

Strain Information:

Breeder: CANUK
Variety: Mostly Sativa
Strain Genetics: Super Lemon Haze x Ruderalis
Flowering Time: 7-9 Weeks from signs of first pistols
Medical Conditions: Anxiety, Pain
Taste / Flavor: Citrus, Haze, Lemon
Plant Height: 80 – 100cm
THC Content: Medium
Yield: 70-80gr/plant

https://marijuanasa.co.za/product/sour-diesel-auto/

Sour Diesel Auto Fem

Strain Information:

Breeder: CANUK
Variety: Mostly Sativa
Strain Genetics: Sour Diesel x Haze Auto
Flowering Time: 75 Days from signs of first pistols
Taste / Flavor: Chemical, Diesel, Haze, Lemon
Effect: Active, Cerebral, Creative, Energetic, Euphoric
Plant Height: 75-160cm
CBD Content: <1%
THC Content: Up to 19%
Yield: 400-450g/m²

As you can see I opted for Autoflowers as a first attempt as I dont have the funds to get a tent, light and other accessories that one needs to do a indoor setup, and I thought this maybe a good thing to do for a first time grower, to perhaps get one grow under the belt and build confidence.

I wanted to ask a few questions which may have been asked a million times already, so Im sorry to re ask, and yes the search button on the forum does work, and yes I have used it, lol.

Firstly am I right in saying because I will be using a living soil, I should not use a "chemical" ph up and or down as this will or can kill of the microbes in the soil? so if this is correct how am I meant to water my plants? (My ph is around 8.1-8.3, I dont have a ph pen yet, but a buddy of mines has one and he has phed our water out of the tap).

Secondly Im not sure on what nutes to use, most people swear by bio bizz, and this could be used with living soil without having to ph your water when feeding. any opinions from people who have used or who do use bio bizz vs any other brand.( I have popped the beans using the paper towel method and some have showed tap roots so intend to plant by friday or saturday, I have read that when using FF soil one does not need to feed for 3 to 4 weeks???)

I would like to also ask about grow bag size, Im getting lots of mixed opinions, some people say 10l as your plant wont be growing that long, but then more watering is needed, others say 20l and others have said 30l. (I mean for autos), I forgot to mention that I will be growing on my balcony, I have enough space and there is good sunlight that the balcony receives.

Also is there a need to add any worm teas and how does one introduce microbes into the soil? I watched a pretty cool video to making your own microbes, Will link below, any thoughts will be appreciated.

My real concern is pests, are ther any preventative methods that one can use?

Lastly are there any mentoring programmes that we have locally regarding growing? if not I think some of the more seasoned growers/master growers should actually start a programme, at a cost of course! I would enroll...

I would like to say thanks for having me on the forum, and I would like to say thanks to all the experts that give so freely from their own knowledge and experience, you guys are AWESOME!

Edited by Wulf
Spelling errors, lol
  • Like 2

Hello dude. Welcome.
We are in pretty similar spots in our grow journeys lol.
I have also chosen to go freedom farms, biobizz and fabric bags with Autos to start.

Wrt pot size 10l seems to be preferable, while 20s will suffice and be reusable on non-autos.
I've chosen to go with 10l and figure it can always use them for baby photos at a later stage.

As for preventative measures, I believe Bioneem is the preferred solution. I think it can be used as a foliar spray to help prevent some nastiness.

Good luck and start a diary so we can keep an eye on it and help each other out.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Hi guys

Just a quick update, as I said I put the seeds into water on Saturday 3pm, by Monday, one of the seeds popped, the super lemon haze, pic below, the rest had not yet popped.

This evening I decided to give them a quick look, 3 of the 6 had now popped,  2 of the girl scout cookies, (last pics below) and to my surprise the super lemon haze has shed its husked.

I totally freaked out and spoke to @Stinger96 who advised to plant it leaving the leaves above the soil which is what I did. Seems like the super lemon haze is in a hurry, lol!

Do you guys suggest I plant the ones that have popped and leave the rest in the paper towels until they pop? 

I used the paper towel method of germinating...soaked seeds for +/- 24 hours, than placed in a wet paper towel, put in a zip lock bag, placed between a towel and put on my dstv box for heat...

20201027_203926.jpg

20201028_185056.jpg

20201028_192013.jpg

20201028_190154.jpg

• Like 3

Hi @Bakstein420 

Thanks for the reply and advice,  as you can see one of the roots looks good, the other one is still trying to come out of the husk, im thinking of planting the one tomorrow and then leaving the other to get a little bit longer, maybe another day or so.

How long does one wait to see if the other seeds will pop?

• Like 1

I have waited for around a week for seeds to pop. So give them some time.

I personally prefer using 20L pots, the extra space is great so they can be used again later on for photoperiods indoors. You can always fill the bag half way with 10L of soil if you really do not want to give your autos more than 10L of soil.

When I grew some autos I used 20L and they grew nicely and big. I'll likely use 20L again when I grow the last of the auto seeds I have.

Regarding PH up and PH down, different people have different opinions. I personally have used PH up and PH down with soil and would recommend you do so if you want to ensure your PH is on point.

I know some people do not bother adjusting PH when growing in soil.

I have gone as far as using salt based nutrients and adjusting PH with PH down and even have used fertigation with soil and my plants were very happy, grew lovely and the earthworms in the soil (Organics Matter) seemed happy and survived just fine. As for the microbes, well, I do not know of anyone who has actually done any tests themselves or has equipment to do tests to see how much of a difference it makes to them or how much of a difference they make - especially if you do not plan on reusing the soil.

That is the other thing, some people like to reuse their medium (be it coco or soil) and others prefer not to - for various reasons.
It can be a mission to use it again as it becomes compact and needs to be fluffed out again and can contain extra nutrients and if there have been any issues - pests, mold etc. it can carry through to your next grow.

BioBizz is not bad, it is easy to use as well. GHE tri part is also great and very easy to use.

Autos for a beginner, they have their benefits but there are cons as well. The main one being that if you mess up and stunt the plant, your yield can end up being affected in quite a significant way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Wulf! it looks like you have the basics off to a superb start!

starting off on the right foot is the surest way to a glorious harvest!!

my 2c would be to remove the humidity dome from your setup as it can create unnecessary problems, the worst being airflow and higher humidity which leads to seeds damping off.

if the seed has popped and you can see a tail, i would put them into the soil already and not wait much longer.

and then the biggest tip (other than mine😏) would be to be patient! up until now, if you want weed, you get in your car and buy it... the whole trade could take like 5 min if your dealer is close enough... but now you are going to need a good few months before you even see your weed in smoke form.

peace and love and welcomes!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

I have waited for around a week for seeds to pop. So give them some time.

I personally prefer using 20L pots, the extra space is great so they can be used again later on for photoperiods indoors. You can always fill the bag half way with 10L of soil if you really do not want to give your autos more than 10L of soil.

When I grew some autos I used 20L and they grew nicely and big. I'll likely use 20L again when I grow the last of the auto seeds I have.

Regarding PH up and PH down, different people have different opinions. I personally have used PH up and PH down with soil and would recommend you do so if you want to ensure your PH is on point.

I know some people do not bother adjusting PH when growing in soil.

I have gone as far as using salt based nutrients and adjusting PH with PH down and even have used fertigation with soil and my plants were very happy, grew lovely and the earthworms in the soil (Organics Matter) seemed happy and survived just fine. As for the microbes, well, I do not know of anyone who has actually done any tests themselves or has equipment to do tests to see how much of a difference it makes to them or how much of a difference they make - especially if you do not plan on reusing the soil

BioBizz is not bad, it is easy to use as well. GHE tri part is also great and very easy to use.

Autos for a beginner, they have their benefits but there are cons as well. The main one being that if you mess up and stunt the plant, your yield can end up being affected in quite a significant way.

Based on the above response it seems like I will have to invest into buying a pH pen...futurama has one at around R900 I think. Its a Hm pH pen

Link: https://www.futurama.co.za/hm-digital-ph80-ph-meter/

Any thoughts on this pH meter?

Edited by Wulf
  • Like 1

@Wulf I have the same PH pen and it works well!

The cheaper PH pens do not work as well I find, they need to be calibrated very often and lose their accuracy and require calibration again very quickly.

I would also suggest you get some PH calibration solution and storage solution at the same time. This combo has everything you need: https://www.futurama.co.za/hm-digital-ph80-meter-solution-combo/

The storage solution will help prolong the life of the probe on the PH pen and the calibration solution will ensure you can calibrate the PH pen.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wulf said:

Based on the above response it seems like I will have to invest into buying a pH pen...futurama has one at around R900 I think. Its a Hm pH pen

Link: https://www.futurama.co.za/hm-digital-ph80-ph-meter/

Any thoughts on this pH meter?

Best pH pen around. Mine is coming three years old and is still good. Got a spare already of the same brand because pH pens do eventually stop working. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi guys 

A quick update and a few questions. 

Please see below pics.

So the 2 Girl scout cookies were planted on the 29 October 2020, it took a few days of waiting but no leaves appeared. I had noticed "something" on the top part of the plant, so discussed with @Stinger96 and he said to me its the remnants from the stuff inside the seed and that I should gently remove it. I applied some distil water to the plant ,used a sterile needle and gently removed this dried out film that was stuck to the plants. Its been 2 or 3 days later but still no sign of the true leaves with the cotyledons looking like they have a brownish discolouration.

Should I be concerned? Is there still hope? Or shuld I pull them out and start all over again? (I think I should have let the tap roots grow longer before planting the seeds, I planted as soon as I saw the tap roots coming thru the seed).

I ask these questions as these are Autos, and from my understanding of things, you should not stress out the seedling or even the plant as autos have a predetermined life cycle and don't have time to recover from stressors.

Also the Super Lemon Haze has developed  a "dog ear" on the one leave and seems a bit stretchy....should I be concerned???

I am moving the plants inside at night as we do have some cold nights at times, so during the day in the sun,  well the Lemon haze is in direct sun but not the Girl scout cookies, they are getting partial sun.

I have as of this morning started using our emergency light,  its those LED lights that one can buy at games for like R199. (Pic attached) It can only shine on one plant.I read on the RQS website that at this stage 4000 to 7000 lux should be sufficient. I downloaded a free phtometer and measured the light intensity to determine distance, this cheap light actually works in as far as the lux needed.

Lastly at this point in the growth cycle how much of watering do you guys suggest? 

Thank you in advance for your responses.

20201105_175445.jpg

20201105_175517.jpg

20201105_175547.jpg

20201105_175600.jpg

20201101_150507.jpg

in my opinion... i would give each of those pots about a litre of water each, no nutes... and literally forget about them for a week

the poor things arent even a few days old and you are over stressing haha.

the baby has just been born, you dont need to worry about college for a while my bru! 

take it easy... the sun will do its job

the sun also provides about the same amount of energy to your plant in a few min, as those lights will in the whole night. they are Autos so you dont need to worry about a light cycle.

and if your tems are not dipping below 15 degrees, you can leave them outside the whole time, they will grow big and strong!

bottom line, what i am trying to say is... right now, you are the danger to your babies. they are looking good man dont be so worried!

Peace and love man!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

@CreX Hi Bud

Thanks for the reply, this really got me laughing :

25 minutes ago, CreX said:

the baby has just been born, you dont need to worry about college for a while my bru! 

That would be me, Im a reall stress pot, hence I need pot so that I can have clarity of thought.(KIDDING WITH THE RHYMES)

Been a newbie/first time grower, ja its hectic, hence I asked isnt there a "university" that one can attend, LOL!

About watering, I do have a moisture meter and it reads the soil as been wet hence I was afraid to give water....(Bought one from builders warehouse, so a cheapy, but seems to work fine)

This is so true:

42 minutes ago, CreX said:

bottom line, what i am trying to say is... right now, you are the danger to your babies. they are looking good man dont be so worried!

Again Thank You!

• Like 1

Yeah, use your finger, I find it works well. The soil will dry out on the top first most of the time and the lower parts of the soil might still be moist.

A seedlings tap root will grow and shoot down rather quickly however I still prefer to use my finger to check how dry the soil is and then decide whether I need to give it more water or not. Feeling the weight of the soil can also help.

The pics of your soil looks very dry, but it could just be the very top layer and directly underneath it has a lot of water it is holding - but from what I have heard those soil moisture meters are not very accurate or useful.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. 

So the Girl scout cookies seems to be catching up now,while the Super Lemon Haze seems to be doing very well. On a sad note one of the Girl scout cookies didn't make it. 😪 she just wouldn't grow and finally dried out and died.

(Image one the SLH and image two is of the GSC)

On that note, I decided to get another batch of seeds and on the recommendation of @Bakstein420 I went with sacred seeds. Thank you @Bakstein420!

@Sacred Seeds, The service I got from Merlin and the team at sacred seeds was top class. I am very happy with the service and will reuse them again in the future. (PS: Thanks for all the freebies)

I ordered some Durban poison as I really wanted a Sativa plant, this is a normal photo strain but I also ordered some autos as well.

I will maybe start a grow diary for those seeds.

Super excited by the DP, can't wait!

Happy weekend everyone!

20201111_182820.jpg

20201111_182843.jpg

20201112_175144.jpg

Edited by Wulf
Errors
  • Like 4