new to growing , need help

moloko plus

So that light is based on older led technology and emits a blue / purple light. I'm not saying it's bad, although thew newer led lights are more white... Like a halogen car headlight.

With led lights, it comes down to the led diode itself. The Samsung diodes are really popular and they're tried and tested and work well for growing.
The lm561c and lm301b diodes are the more popular ones.
Bridge lux also make some good diodes and there are a few others, most are available in strip form, not quantum boards... Which is also fine although you'd need to do a bit of DIY.

Also the light you linked to certainly won't be 600w or anywhere near that. You tend to find quite a lot of cheaper "blurple" LED's with heavily inflated power ratings.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, adre said:

thanks for explaining , so when it comes to LEDs what am I looking for ?

for instance what makes this a bad or good  buy ? 

https://snatcher.co.za/products/led-grow-light?variant=11987753664548

The diodes are shit, they burn out, the wattage is not true wall watts, they're burples.

Buy a QB from @Master_G and end this pointless conversation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Sometimes after you have been given the goods you still need to decide what you're going to do. Nobody can make you decide. if you're deciding to grow bud with a pic of a dank frosty nug in your head and then you look at a 1400 bucks blurple from takealot. At that moment you need to buy that light, Grow weed, see what you get and pay your school fees.

You have been getting feedback and suggestions from master growers and breeders. 

I can offer you a light that will give you the result you have in your head, but not at the price your displaying interest in. 

The next step is up to you @adre.

• Agree 4

36 minutes ago, Master_G said:

Sometimes after you have been given the goods you still need to decide what you're going to do. Nobody can make you decide. if you're deciding to grow bud with a pic of a dank frosty nug in your head and then you look at a 1400 bucks blurple from takealot. At that moment you need to buy that light, Grow weed, see what you get and pay your school fees.

You have been getting feedback and suggestions from master growers and breeders. 

I can offer you a light that will give you the result you have in your head, but not at the price your displaying interest in. 

The next step is up to you @adre.

This post should be pinned for all newcomers 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lol I really appreciate all your answer and and advice ...Sorry for all the stupid questions but I dont believe  in just buying something  just because someone said its better, I like to understand what I am getting and why im getting it over another product(for example went to futurama and got suggested the CFL light which turns out is not a good option thanks to the info you guys gave me)

I completely understand you guys are really good growers and you have perfected your craft but Im new and know nothing more than what a bunch of internet pages tells and the guy at a store just trying to sell me something that's why I joined the forum 

• Like 2

To reach plant density and potency, you have to provide energy and building material. If you are saving on your energy source, results will suffer, what ever you feed them.

Same goes the other way, you can have a top energy source and feed them hopes and dreams.. will not work. I understand and like your opinion on things you hear... that is good for politics and general gossip 😁 when we go growing, the internet is full of peoples experiences.. if you want to make all those yourself, will take a bit and a long learning curve. If you simply listen to the people, your rate of success will increase rather drastically 😉 Nobody in here gives bad advise on purpose. 

If you invest a little more.. you get a lot more out.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Look, end of the day the only person who has commented in this thread who may have something to gain would be Master G and that'd if you were to purchase one of his lights.

His lights are simply quantum boards with lm301b diodes and there are other local suppliers you can purchase such quantum boards from. However in terms of pricing his are the cheapest I have seen locally.

You can also get led strips with good quality diodes if you'd like.
Don't feel pressurised to buy from Master G specifically or to get quantum boards.
What you should want to do is get lights with good quality diodes and I feel everyone in this thread who has recommended LED lights is basically saying the same thing.

Led strips can be purchased from websites such as Arrow and Digikey. They offer prices in ZAR but the items are not stocked locally so custom charges are applicable.
You'll then also need to get heatsinks to mount them onto (I have some for sale, alternatively you could get from Builders or similar).
Also keep in mind you'll still need a power supply (LED driver) to power the lights.

So add up the costs of the led strips and the other components required to put it together.
Then go and look at the cost of other quantum boards available locally and check with Master G on the pricing of his quantum boards and see what may be the best for you.

Alternatively if your budget does not allow for such lights at the moment, then you'll need to compromise and get something which you are able to afford and later on you can consider getting better lights.

You'll still be able to grow cannabis with that blurple light from Snatcher and other similar lights from futurama and takealot etc.
You'll get bud and it will be decent and get you high.

Although it won't be as efficient as better quality lights and the bud quality may be slightly lower but depending on what you're used to smoking it could be on the same level or even higher quality bud than what you're used to.
If you already smoke good indoor, it could be on the same level or slightly lower.
If you're used to outdoor, it could be higher quality. Hard to say.

I hope this clears things up, don't feel pressure to buy what we suggest from who we suggest. We're just trying to help guide you to ensure you get great value for money as most of us have done the research already and looked at the various options.
End of the day, the equipment you purchase and how your grow does honestly makes no difference to me (don't mean that in a bad or nasty way). :D

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 5/27/2020 at 3:42 PM, Totemic said:

Ok, so if you are going for a 300-400g grow @ 50g a plant, then have a look at a 480w LED from @Master_G, or a 600w HID. But that's just what I'd do. I myself am shopping for lights and it's a toss up between these 2 options for me at the moment.

@Totemic was this the type of HID you were talking about ?

https://www.futurama.co.za/wing-reflector-grow-light-combo-600w/

I Agree, rather save and get proper QB , they last a long time, they give the right spektrum and intensity to plants, they run cool. My 1st priority when setting up a grow space is proper Lights.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

The guys here have given you great advice, some of the best actually and for someone new to get that type of advice so early, is priceless. 

Those lights you show at the end are different, but a picture is nothing without specifics.

Hope you take their advice and look forward to your grows you going post here.

Peace.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, adre said:

this kinda helped a lot

If you are on YouTube, and on Migro, then go check his top light for 2019 video, he rates all lights out of efficiency, then make up your mind from that, which will most probably be a QB or COB layout, at a push if you got energy to waste, you'll get a HPS. again my own opinion 

• Like 2

Hey guys as for pests when growing in door  I was told to put pepples on the top layer of the soil as the pest likes to live on the top layer so buy adding pepples it doesnt give them am enviroment to live in, is this correct and does the size of the pepples matter ?

I put those light green sticky mouse traps on the ground and fly ribbons.. if needed. You want to have zero stuff flying or crawling in there.. really.. ZERO! 😁 and i use no pebbles. I just kill what enters my domain 😂 a bit of a Sauron in those cases 😈

38 minutes ago, adre said:

Hey guys as for pests when growing in door  I was told to put pepples on the top layer of the soil as the pest likes to live on the top layer so buy adding pepples it doesnt give them am enviroment to live in, is this correct and does the size of the pepples matter ?

There is something you add to the soil when making it, keeps everything away with no issue, ever. I once added building sand, as someone here had mentioned, as the top layer on top of the soil, which didn't work and sinks down when watering. 

Edited by StickyD420

52 minutes ago, Bakstein420 said:

Diatomaceous Earth? @StickyD420

I have heard of it, and it wasn't something I thought I needed in there, for what it provided. Wish I could shout the details from the roof tops, but having lost my job and now this C, and now not knowing where my next income or food might be, this could be my next business opportunity.