Greetings 420 Fam!

Decided to grow again due to being stuck at home so I thought I'd share what's going on with you guys. 

So I've been growing these 2 strains since about the last week of March. They are; Black Fire & Inzane in the Membrane, both by Ethos Genetics. 

I started the grow long before I became a member here so if you guys want to check it out, I have a link to the journal to catch up so far, and links to previous grows that you'll find in the grow reports as well. I'll try to update progress on here as often as I can. 

Anyway, I transplanted them into 5L smart pots for vegging on the 6th of April and watered them (no nutes) shortly after the transplant. The water was at 66 ppm with a pH ~6.25.

They didn't seem to experience any obvious transplant shock and it's all going smoothly so far.

These trees are 3 days into their 5th week of vegging (excl seedling stage - very 1st week) 

They've received 2 sets of toppings and growth from the 1st node was removed - I'm manifolding these trees also using some skewers and soft tie wire to train them flat. 

Each tree has about 8-12 main tops right now but it's a bit untidy - they're due for a defoliation later today. 

Feeding strengths have been around 500pm for early veg and I'm increasing it to around 700ppm for the next week of veg before flipping to 12/12. 

The Inzane (om the right) seems to be outgrowing her company but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, I can always prop one plant up if needed. 

Will run 2 of the same strains next time to use the space more effectively. 

The last picture is a few days older but it gives you a more clear view of how I used the skewers to train the trees.

Questions and suggestions are welcomed. 

Enjoy! 

IMG_20200428_045302.jpg

IMG_20200429_014328.jpg

IMG_20200427_033027.jpg

IMG_20200427_020055_1.jpg

Edited by TheUltimateNoob
  • Like 4

Sup man, it's as follows;
70cm x 70cm x 160cm MarsHydro tent
Hipargero HG800 (240w COB fixture).
5 inch extraction fan
1 x circulation fan
Freedom Farms smart pots
Freedom Farms Formula 1 crafted soil
General Hydroponics Flora Tri-pack (they're now rebranded as Terra Aquatics)

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If anyone wants to catch up on how I got here, here's a link to a thread I started in which I documented the start of this grow as well.

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/ethos-genetics-grow-here-we-go.1569392/#post-25209148

It links to one of my journals on the site that documents the rest of the grow up to this point. You can drop any questions you have on the process here.

I'll be updating them both so you can just catch up there and watch this space to see the progress.

Thanks for the support.

Happy Growing!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

Inzane in the Membrane, both by Ethos Genetics. 

Oooooooh yeah one of my favorite strains! Never grown it myself but a growing buddy has and it was a very pleasant smoke. Very keen to follow the grow.

19 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

I can always prop one plant up if needed. 

...oh my schit why didn't I think of this 😑 you've just given this bright spark an idea for my own grow. Currently have two plants with one being shorter than the other, didn't think of just raising the one...jissis. They are in DWC cooler boxes though, so I am going to need to find something that can support the weight 🤔 

I really like how you use those kebab sticks to form the initial manifold 🤔 two ideas from one post. Imma subscribe to you, sir. 

• Like 2

...oh my schit why didn't I think of this  you've just given this bright spark an idea for my own grow. Currently have two plants with one being shorter than the other, didn't think of just raising the one...jissis. They are in DWC cooler boxes though, so I am going to need to find something that can support the weight  

I really like how you use those kebab sticks to form the initial manifold  two ideas from one post. Imma subscribe to you, sir. 

Haha, sometimes the best solutions are the easiest ones...
I'm not too sure about the DWC boxes bro, maybe you could use like a half brick or 2 stacked up at each corner of the cooler. Doesn't need to be a brick, but that's the first thing that came to mind. Lol

Lol, thanks man. I had to get a bit creative.

The kebab sticks actually saved me because I couldn't find the thin tie wire I normally use for training, just that green soft tie. I find it doesn't hold the tree as firm as I'd like.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to continue using them like that or go back to tying the tree to itself... Both work well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

Haha, sometimes the best solutions are the easiest ones...
I'm not too sure about the DWC boxes bro, maybe you could use like a half brick or 2 stacked up at each corner of the cooler. Doesn't need to be a brick, but that's the first thing that came to mind. 

I am just worried about introducing anything funny into the grow environment, like some stowaway pests or something silly. 

I'll work something out and tag you in my grow diary with the solution 😁

• Like 1

I am just worried about introducing anything funny into the grow environment, like some stowaway pests or something silly. 
I'll work something out and tag you in my grow diary with the solution 
That's a valid concern. Sorry for not cautioning you about it first.
Sure man, I like watching other grows so I'll sub as well.

• Like 1

So I gave them a light defoliation last night around 10 or 11.

My lights run from 14:30 to 08:30 to keep the temps a bit lower, and I did do the defoliation much later than I wanted to. 

The Inzane is going along as expected but the black fire has very uneven growth. I'm still keeping to my time line and I plan to flip to 12/12 in the next week and a half.

There isn't much more training to do so I may transplant them before flipping to help them settle in a bit better.

The pictures were taken not too long ago, and here's a link to a short video of the process;  

If anyone would like to follow me on Instagram, my handle is at the top (@frostynuggets_420). I post all original content with a few videos here and there. I'm sure you'd enjoy it. 

IMG_20200430_044043_1.jpg

IMG_20200430_044027.jpg

IMG_20200430_044029.jpg

IMG_20200430_044034.jpg

IMG_20200430_044039.jpg

• Like 2

I have always wanted to grow out this strain. Unfortunately I dont have the space to grow a bunch of regs looking for 1 or 2 females. Hoping someday to find a clone.

Anyway subscribed for the pretty pics.

These were feminised seeds bro... I'll drop you a message.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are they in Coco or soil and what nutes are you giving them?
Do you PH your feed each time before feeding?
What sized pots are those? I am assuming not 20L pots if you're talking about repotting.

I personally would let them get a bit bigger before flipping, upto you though 🙂  Nothing wrong with flipping now either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Are they in Coco or soil and what nutes are you giving them?

Do you PH your feed each time before feeding?

What sized pots are those? I am assuming not 20L pots if you're talking about repotting.

I personally would let them get a bit bigger before flipping, upto you though   Nothing wrong with flipping now either.

They're in a craft soil mix, has coco in it as well I think. It's Freedom Farms Formula 1.

I do pH every time, but I fluctuate it between 6.2-6.7 over 4 feedings to ensure there's nothing being left out.

They're in 5L smart pots right now, going into 10L ones.

I do plan on letting them get bigger, and I don't plan to train them much anymore. I've found that they grow quite rapidly when undisturbed so I'll see where they're at close to the end of week 6.

• Like 1

They're in a craft soil mix, has coco in it as well I think. It's Freedom Farms Formula 1.

I do pH every time, but I fluctuate it between 6.2-6.7 over 4 feedings to ensure there's nothing being left out.

They're in 5L smart pots right now, going into 10L ones.

I do plan on letting them get bigger, and I don't plan to train them much anymore. I've found that they grow quite rapidly when undisturbed so I'll see where they're at close to the end of week 6.

I believe Formula 1 is coco and perlite, I'd say use 5.9 to 6.3 as your oh range rather.

Once again, you don't have to but I'd let the plant veg for a big longer and get a bit bigger in 20l pots before I flip.
The size of the plants affect your yield as well.

I like to grow my plants out a bit more and then lollipop them, helps with airflow below the canopy and if you're watering my hand makes it a bit easier too as there is a bit of space between to get your watering can in there and not wet the leaves.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I believe Formula 1 is coco and perlite, I'd say use 5.9 to 6.3 as your oh range rather.

Once again, you don't have to but I'd let the plant veg for a big longer and get a bit bigger in 20l pots before I flip.
The size of the plants affect your yield as well.

I like to grow my plants out a bit more and then lollipop them, helps with airflow below the canopy and if you're watering my hand makes it a bit easier too as there is a bit of space between to get your watering can in there and not wet the leaves.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll try those pHs, I wasn't too sure on whether or not to treat it similar to hydro because the grow medium is pH balanced to 6.5

I will let it veg for a bit more, but I can only fit a single 20L pot in the tent at a time so I'm planning to use 2 x 10L pots this round.
I understand how tree size vs bud size works, and I'm not aiming for maximum yield this run. I simply want to taste the strains and make some clones for next harvest.

I have problems with high humidity and temps so I try to maximise airflow around and between the leaves... I plan on lollipopping them after they stretch a bit more. And yes I do water by hand so it makes things much easier.

• Like 2

Humidity in Durbs is a killer. All the biggest colas on my last plant had mold come harvest late December.
My light has a uv diode so I'm pretty sure that helps a lot, but I always make sure that there's enough airflow.

Its essential.. Any stagnant pockets of air or areas with too much vegetation up against each other are prime hotpots for mold.

Unfortunately with dense colas you can't really avoid it if the mold starts from the inside... I'm gonna try some home methods to decrease humidity when it comes time so I'll update on that because I definitely can't afford a dehumidifier. Lol

• Like 2

Hydroponic.co.za sells a product called Hydroliq Grow. Its pricey but they say it can be used in flower. I'm waiting to see some reviews before I give it a try.

Thanks for this ... I didn't know they released this product. Will check it out.

I'm sure the bottle will last a while also

Insane is definitely a stretchier strain especially when she flowers out. Looking good though bro would just take the advice given and lower your p.h! If you still gonna switch in the next week or so then flush your plants before the switch and then lower p.h and continue to increase the further you go in flower but then again I would again take the advice and veg a bit longer. 

• Like 1

Back with an update!

Okay so it's been a while. 

There wasn't much to report on so I waited until I could compile something worth reading.

The Black Fire was looking a bit sad and much smaller compared to the Inzane about a week ago. I just continued to feed them both and on the 3rd of May I decided to do some LST on them. The Black Fire received way more tie downs and she bounced back really well.

The Inzane is experiencing some uneven growth but I'll try to even it out with LST once I transplant them later today.

She may fill out more of the tent by being trained flat so I'll have a look at how she sits before I decide to remove any growth.

I like the structure of the Black Fire better, and I think the Inzane would do better with a true mainline or just being the only one in the tent - she's got too bushy growth and stretches like crazy.

They're both due for a defoliation later today as well, I'll try to make another video like the last one so you guys can see the difference a bit more effectively.

The first 4 images are from the 3rd after I tied them down, and the rest are from just now (first hour into the 6th of May).

Enjoy

IMG_20200503_202247.jpg

IMG_20200503_175641_1.jpg

IMG_20200503_175650_1.jpg

IMG_20200503_175635.jpg

IMG_20200506_002351.jpg

IMG_20200506_002104.jpg

IMG_20200506_002059.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What's up everyone; so I've managed to put together another quick but informative update.

I haven't changed anything with my methods, just did regular maintenance and fed the trees when I needed to.

I did, however, change the nutes to flower ratio to help kick start the transition week - I plan to flip to 12/12 in a day or 2.

I will include respectively named pictures so you guys can see how they've progressed. The first picture is just for the thumbnail on tapatalk - no filter shots for days.

The summary of what's happened since the 6th is as follows;

7th May - did some more lst and trained the canopy flat again
8th May - watched them bounce back
10th May - they filled out quite nicely
12th May - more lst to train the canopy selective defoliation
13th May (no pics for this date) - defoliation for airflow and light penetration (the last 2 pictures were taken on the 15th - I moved the Inzane to the left of the tent)

They're looking good. I feel like they're ready for flower but I'll let them get a bit taller first. I also want to take some clones to I'll let the side branches get some length also.

So yeah that's where we're at right now. Here's another defoliation video;

Enjoy. 

IMG_20200512_174942.jpg

7th_May.jpg

8th_May.jpg

10th May.jpg

12th May.jpg

IMG_20200515_195236_1.jpg

IMG_20200515_195211.jpg

Edited by TheUltimateNoob
  • Like 6