Just Another First Grow

PsyCLown

Heya!

So as the title states, this is just another first grow. I'm sure you've all seen many of them.

Lets start with some equipment and what I'll be growing and take it from there, obviously open to suggestions as I'm still learning.

I don't have a grow tent unfortunately, growing in a storage room of sorts which I've painted flat white. Grow area is approx 110cm x 90cm at a push.

I have 4x 288 Quantum Boards in 3000k setup in here, currently running 2 off an ELG-240-54A while I wait for my HLG-480-54A.

No extraction or air intake at the moment.

Trying to seal up and prevent light leaks and shall be trying to complete this tomorrow. Currently lights are off at night to prevent light leak issues.

I have my humidity dome in here too and have a heating pad underneath it as it's very cold.

I have added a heater to the grow area today and it seems to be making a decent difference in terms of temps, increased from 17C to 23C.

I have a fan inside to circulate the air. RH is on the low side at 36-40% RH so might look at adding my humidifier into the area, not sure how to control the RH with it just yet as I don't have any electronics to assist at the moment.

I'm using Freedom Farms soil, Biobizz nutes (fish mix & bloom) & have a mixture of pots but plan on using 20L fabric pots in the end.

Currently have 2 bagseed seedlings in there with 13 seeds germinating as per the below:

3x Chocolope (Totemic Genetics)

3x Bruce Banner 3 (Dark Star Genetics)

3x Grandpa Banner (Dark Star Genetics)

3x Sticky Icky (Dark Star Genetics)

1x CBD Critical Mass (Seedsman)

All are regular seeds except for the CBD strain which is feminised.

I'm hoping not all 12 seeds are female as I don't have space, however I'd like at least 1 female from each.

One of my bag seed seedlings might not make it, still busy monitoring it. Before my lights arrived I had to put them outside for some natural sun and my cat seems to really like the FF soil and dug up the seedling, twice. Prior to that she dug up my 3rd seedling and peed in that pot, the seedling died... Not sure if I can just flush the soil with water and reuse it?

The stem of the dug up seedling is very thin in one area but still seems to be alive so hopefully it pulls through.

Not much in terms of pics at the moment as I've been busy putting my room together and am still busy with that.

Although here are the seeds in some rapid rooters and in the humidity dome. I broke off a piece of the rapid rooter and put it inside the hole to try keep the seeds dark and covered.

The seeds were soaked for around 22 hours before being placed into the rapid rooters with the exception of the cbd strain which was soaked for closer to 28 hours and was only put into the rapid rooter today. So it's a day behind the rest.

Really hoping the seeds germinate in the rapid rooters without issues. 15b760f9cda7e1ebbf336e9d6397aa58.jpgbf8a7b7e35092a840058297ae6ce0579.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Good luck
BTW what is the multimeter measuring?
That one was amps for 2x QB288's
Voltages was around 49v

I have a meter which will measure voltage and current arriving soon, will then put that up rather as its smaller and easier and neater.
I like to monitor the power output.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

I have a fan inside to circulate the air. RH is on the low side at 36-40% RH so might look at adding my humidifier into the area, not sure how to control the RH with it just yet as I don't have any electronics to assist at the moment.

One of my bag seed seedlings might not make it, still busy monitoring it. Before my lights arrived I had to put them outside for some natural sun and my cat seems to really like the FF soil and dug up the seedling, twice. Prior to that she dug up my 3rd seedling and peed in that pot, the seedling died... Not sure if I can just flush the soil with water and reuse it?

Them cats for ya :-rolled the ammonium in the pee will get converted to nutrients at some point, you can flush it a bit I cant see the harm in it. I would not use that particular pots soil for any dope right now, personally I would just mix it into my bigger living soilmix and let the microbes take care of it. Is it possible to keep Mr or Mrs Kitty away from the grow, this would help as I am sure he/she will just keep on using the nice soil. :)

RH at your levels is great for flowering plants, however as soon as you have some pots that are getting watered the RH should go up a bit more. Vegging plants do like a higher humidity but I wouldn't stress too much, I am always trying to lower my humidity levels. If you find your RH is still super low after you have some pots etc, a bowl of water in the room should also raise the RH, providing there is heat for the evaporation.

Best of luck with the grow, looking forward to seeing dem greens!

:-peace

Edited by Dank
fixed mistakes :(

54 minutes ago, Dank said:

Them cats for ya :-rolled the ammonium in the pee will get converted to nutrients at some point, you can flush it a bit I cant see the harm in it. I would not use that particular pots soil for any dope right now, personally I would just mix it into my bigger living soilmix and let the microbes take care of it. Is it possible to keep Mr or Mrs Kitty away from the grow, this would help as I am sure he/she will just keep on using the nice soil. 🙂

RH at your levels is great for flowering plants, however as soon as you have some pots that are getting watered the RH should go up a bit more. Vegging plants do like a higher humidity but I wouldn't stress too much, I am always trying to lower my humidity levels. If you find your RH is still super low after you have some pots etc, a bowl of water in the room should also raise the RH, providing there is heat for the evaporation.

Best of luck with the grow, looking forward to seeing dem greens!

Well now that I have lights, they are indoors in my grow area so no need to worry about the kitties using the soil anymore.
Noted on the cat pee, will toss the soil back into my FF bag and mix it around and leave it at that..

Noted on the RH, busy feeding now so will monitor it today and see. Otherwise I may try place a bowl of water near the heater and see if that helps.

• Like 1

The seedlings have made some progress.

The small plant has turned up again to face the lights. My humidity has dropped a bit so I've put a bowl of heater in the room to see if it helps increase the RH.

Waiting for all seedlings to have their first set of leaves before I put them under the LED light. Might raise it at first too, don't want them to burn?? c1b13ee3a81161055cb96ba1bba6e8e6.jpg

1 hour ago, PsyCLown said:

The seedlings have made some progress.

The small plant has turned up again to face the lights. My humidity has dropped a bit so I've put a bowl of heater in the room to see if it helps increase the RH.

Waiting for all seedlings to have their first set of leaves before I put them under the LED light. Might raise it at first too, don't want them to burn?? c1b13ee3a81161055cb96ba1bba6e8e6.jpg

Drop the light lower and/or drop the wattage of the light. You don't need 200 watts+ blasting them (can't remember your wattage just saying).

4 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Thanks, I've moved the humidity dome to under the LED. I thought you needed give the seedlings less light?

That's why I said dial down the wattage of your boards. You don't want to nuke them.

That's why I said dial down the wattage of your boards. You don't want to nuke them.
They're not at full power. 80w per board at most.

The small plant (bagseed) is loving the light. I've raised the light a bit more now for the seedlings sake. Will see how they handle the light.

Could one put the seeds into a medium (rapid rooter, jiffy pellets, soil), then into a humidity dome and straight under some lights (lower wattage) or is it best to let the seeds germinate before placing them under some lights?

Dome off, in your medium, under the light.:-2cents Seedlings love it. Will curb the stretch..
Remove the dome already!? I'm concerned the rapid rooters will dry out.

Or do you mean plant them in pots already?

I had my seeds in Jiffy’s with domes, the moment they germinated I removed the domes. At the sign of the first roots they were planted into pots.

This all happened under a 600w HPS (about 1.3m above the plants), literally from the day the seeds were placed in the Jiffy’s. My plants are happy, squat, strong stems with zero stretch.

• Like 1

I got some pots today which I turned into Insta-transplant pots, so will repot in those in a few days time once the fan leaves are a bit bigger.

Then they will probably go into 20L fabric pots as their final pot and hopefully these insta-transplant pots will prevent any transplant shock and will work well.