Joker CBD - Photo and First Coco Grow

Orcanic

looking good there brother! 

just a few questions from my side, if I may?

what size pots are those and did you let the plants grow into the pot before flipping to flower or did you flip to flower shortly after transplanting? 

looks like they could've gona a little longer before flipping. 

another question, what are you feeding them? 

By the time you smoke the bud you want there to be as little possible active chlorophyll, this is the only reason why people "flush" their plants a week or two before harvest, because if you feed and water them up till harvest day you increasing your chances of smoking chlorophyll, also it helps kick start the drying ans curing process. However in your case it looks like your plant is already using the last of the food it's got in it, sending the "energy" in the leaves to different places to compensate for deficiencies and the plant is fading out, long before it should.  

if you're still feeding them you might have caused lockout and now it's not taking up more nutes.

if you not feeding them you probably should. 

they look like they have a while still to go before they should be fading. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

looking good there brother! 

just a few questions from my side, if I may?

what size pots are those and did you let the plants grow into the pot before flipping to flower or did you flip to flower shortly after transplanting? 

looks like they could've gona a little longer before flipping. 

another question, what are you feeding them? 

By the time you smoke the bud you want there to be as little possible active chlorophyll, this is the only reason why people "flush" their plants a week or two before harvest, because if you feed and water them up till harvest day you increasing your chances of smoking chlorophyll, also it helps kick start the drying ans curing process. However in your case it looks like your plant is already using the last of the food it's got in it, sending the "energy" in the leaves to different places to compensate for deficiencies and the plant is fading out, long before it should.  

if you're still feeding them you might have caused lockout and now it's not taking up more nutes.

if you not feeding them you probably should. 

they look like they have a while still to go before they should be fading. 

Hey man, thanks!

They are in 10 liter pots, and yeah I was supposed to veg for a few weeks more but I needed to flip early as I am going on a holiday next month which I didn't plan for.

I'm feeding them TerraAquatica TriPart according to the schedule below. I just started them on the Late Bloom (Week 9) feed. Planning to flush in 2-3 weeks for the final week.

Do you reckon I should flush for a few days to help with the lockout? The leaves are turning purple now.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Drain-to-Waste-Nutrient-Schedule-custom.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Orcanic said:

Hey man, thanks!

They are in 10 liter pots, and yeah I was supposed to veg for a few weeks more but I needed to flip early as I am going on a holiday next month which I didn't plan for.

I'm feeding them TerraAquatica TriPart according to the schedule below. I just started them on the Late Bloom (Week 9) feed. Planning to flush in 2-3 weeks for the final week.

Do you reckon I should flush for a few days to help with the lockout? The leaves are turning purple now.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Drain-to-Waste-Nutrient-Schedule-custom.jpg

aha aha I see, if you where vegging for longer would you have put them into bigger pots or is 10L your biggest? 

hahahah guess I should first ask before stepping on any toes again, you growing to get bud off your plants, or you also not growing for yield? I mean there is a lot to be said, but if you're just growing, because growing is growing, then you doing 100% showing is your plants and not wanting advice. 

I had to read back on the thread, I see a lot of talk about adding silica. Have you been doing so? if so, how much and how often?

You got a ph and a ppm meter brother?

as mentioned before on the thread, silica can cause nasty ph swing.

Just for interest sake I would like to see what the readings are on the runoff there? 

You might have caused ph issues somehow, ph might be just out of range to uptake certain nutes.

you working with salt nutes, so I am guessing you're in coco?

what ph you giving them?

did you wash the coco and are you using some sort of calmag?

I also see that you are in week 7/8 of flower already, indicating that growth has slowed down conciderably, but being so late in flower might deminish the possibilities of a full recovery and the plant returning to its normal self. by the time you got the roots fixed the plants will probably be pushing nanners cause of old age. don't wana risk that. 

I would really like to know the ph and ppm readings, it will help reduce the guessing. 

I think your best bet is to switch to plain water and finish those girls up, but take note for future grows.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

aha aha I see, if you where vegging for longer would you have put them into bigger pots or is 10L your biggest? 

hahahah guess I should first ask before stepping on any toes again, you growing to get bud off your plants, or you also not growing for yield? I mean there is a lot to be said, but if you're just growing, because growing is growing, then you doing 100% showing is your plants and not wanting advice. 

I had to read back on the thread, I see a lot of talk about adding silica. Have you been doing so? if so, how much and how often?

You got a ph and a ppm meter brother?

as mentioned before on the thread, silica can cause nasty ph swing.

Just for interest sake I would like to see what the readings are on the runoff there? 

You might have caused ph issues somehow, ph might be just out of range to uptake certain nutes.

you working with salt nutes, so I am guessing you're in coco?

what ph you giving them?

did you wash the coco and are you using some sort of calmag?

I also see that you are in week 7/8 of flower already, indicating that growth has slowed down conciderably, but being so late in flower might deminish the possibilities of a full recovery and the plant returning to its normal self. by the time you got the roots fixed the plants will probably be pushing nanners cause of old age. don't wana risk that. 

I would really like to know the ph and ppm readings, it will help reduce the guessing. 

I think your best bet is to switch to plain water and finish those girls up, but take note for future grows.  

No worries! I had 20 liter pots lined up but decided not to use them.

I'll check the runoff ph and ppm tonight or tomorrow and let you know.

I used silica for the last couple of weeks in veg then stopped in flower.

Yeah I'm in coco

I calibrate my ph meter every week and aim for 6.2 for flower and 5.8 for veg. I mix all of my feed every 2 weeks, so maybe the ph changed due to it sitting for so long?

I made the mistake early on of not buffering my coco, so I supplemented the feed with more CalMag in the beginning of veg.

In the beginning I just wanted to try a strain with a nice amount of CBD and wasn't too concerned about my yield, then a week or two in I changed my mind and wanted to maximize output. Then when I had to flower earlier than expected that changed again to just wanting to try the strain.

And I knew when I started that I would make a few mistakes seeing as this is my first coco grow, so for the next one I'm focusing on refining everything and really going for maximum yields.

All my grows so far have purely been focused on learning new methods and finding my groove, and (hopefully) I'll have worked it out fully after a couple more.

Switched to plain water this morning :)

I know I'm still pretty far off so I'll take all the advice I can get

21 hours ago, Orcanic said:

No worries! I had 20 liter pots lined up but decided not to use them.

I'll check the runoff ph and ppm tonight or tomorrow and let you know.

I used silica for the last couple of weeks in veg then stopped in flower.

Yeah I'm in coco

I calibrate my ph meter every week and aim for 6.2 for flower and 5.8 for veg. I mix all of my feed every 2 weeks, so maybe the ph changed due to it sitting for so long?

I made the mistake early on of not buffering my coco, so I supplemented the feed with more CalMag in the beginning of veg.

In the beginning I just wanted to try a strain with a nice amount of CBD and wasn't too concerned about my yield, then a week or two in I changed my mind and wanted to maximize output. Then when I had to flower earlier than expected that changed again to just wanting to try the strain.

And I knew when I started that I would make a few mistakes seeing as this is my first coco grow, so for the next one I'm focusing on refining everything and really going for maximum yields.

All my grows so far have purely been focused on learning new methods and finding my groove, and (hopefully) I'll have worked it out fully after a couple more.

Switched to plain water this morning 🙂

I know I'm still pretty far off so I'll take all the advice I can get

You did the right thing by not repotting before flipping, I wasn't asking because I was thinking what you did was wrong. just trying to follow your general train of thought on things 😁

Let's see the ph and ppm values for interest sake, remember to chek the values of the water you put in, don't make too much runoff. give little bit by little bit water to saturate medium as best possible before collecting first runoff, otherwise if you throw a bunch of water in the top one time and collect fitst runoff you not gona have accurate readings. 

So coco, coming from a coconut tree that genetally grows on coastlines and close to coastal areas, generally have excessive amounts of Mg in it, because of the salt in the water, soil and air around where it grows. This is why coco needs to be rinsed before use, especially those compacted bricks of coco need to be rinsed thoroughly. 

If you working with unwashed coco and added more Mg along with the calmag supplement, that might have been causing issues too. 

about the buffering, this could also be another reason why plant isn't uptaking nutes, 

most important part about buffering is to help keep ph stable through out the grow, but that's not all

the surface of coco naturally has a negative charge (certain compounds will not "bind" or "stick" to it) it has to be introduced to cations which are positive charged ions, which are capable of "holding onto" those compounds. if your coco has no CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) you will essentially be pouring some nutes right into the trays below the pot. 

so the washing and buffering and then still having to check ph each and every single time you give water.

coco is so much of a headache 🤦‍♂️

I am not sure what the mixing of nutes so long before they're used will do to the composition, but I wouldn't suggest it. at least you testing the water each time before giving it? if the ph and ppm is still where it needs to be, it shouldn't do any harm.

I see a lot of people growing for CBD these days, are you going to be making extracts?

hahah you got a couple nice plants growing and gona yield couple nice buds to smoke on, you're really not that far off. I bet we all still feel far off from where we wana be! I know I do! 😁 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

You did the right thing by not repotting before flipping, I wasn't asking because I was thinking what you did was wrong. just trying to follow your general train of thought on things 😁

Let's see the ph and ppm values for interest sake, remember to chek the values of the water you put in, don't make too much runoff. give little bit by little bit water to saturate medium as best possible before collecting first runoff, otherwise if you throw a bunch of water in the top one time and collect fitst runoff you not gona have accurate readings. 

So coco, coming from a coconut tree that genetally grows on coastlines and close to coastal areas, generally have excessive amounts of Mg in it, because of the salt in the water, soil and air around where it grows. This is why coco needs to be rinsed before use, especially those compacted bricks of coco need to be rinsed thoroughly. 

If you working with unwashed coco and added more Mg along with the calmag supplement, that might have been causing issues too. 

about the buffering, this could also be another reason why plant isn't uptaking nutes, 

most important part about buffering is to help keep ph stable through out the grow, but that's not all

the surface of coco naturally has a negative charge (certain compounds will not "bind" or "stick" to it) it has to be introduced to cations which are positive charged ions, which are capable of "holding onto" those compounds. if your coco has no CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) you will essentially be pouring some nutes right into the trays below the pot. 

so the washing and buffering and then still having to check ph each and every single time you give water.

coco is so much of a headache 🤦‍♂️

I am not sure what the mixing of nutes so long before they're used will do to the composition, but I wouldn't suggest it. at least you testing the water each time before giving it? if the ph and ppm is still where it needs to be, it shouldn't do any harm.

I see a lot of people growing for CBD these days, are you going to be making extracts?

hahah you got a couple nice plants growing and gona yield couple nice buds to smoke on, you're really not that far off. I bet we all still feel far off from where we wana be! I know I do! 😁 

Ah okay, I see. 

The coco I'm using is from freedom farms, a 70/30 coco perlite mix. Maybe I should buy my own bricks and make my own mix in future so that I know exactly what its being washed with, etc.

I test the water the night before I feed, as I feed in the morning and don't have enough time to test before I leave the house.

This plant will be for smoking, but my charlotte's angel cbd that's in veg I am planning to use for extracts.

I think I'll give soil another try in the beginning of next year. I had so many headaches in the beginning which probably put me off of it, but those were only my first 2 grows. I'm sure it will be better next time I try.

Thank you for all the valuable info 🙌

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, Orcanic said:

Ah okay, I see. 

The coco I'm using is from freedom farms, a 70/30 coco perlite mix. Maybe I should buy my own bricks and make my own mix in future so that I know exactly what its being washed with, etc.

I test the water the night before I feed, as I feed in the morning and don't have enough time to test before I leave the house.

This plant will be for smoking, but my charlotte's angel cbd that's in veg I am planning to use for extracts.

I think I'll give soil another try in the beginning of next year. I had so many headaches in the beginning which probably put me off of it, but those were only my first 2 grows. I'm sure it will be better next time I try.

Thank you for all the valuable info 🙌

hmmm, that actually flips the whole show around, the ff coco mix come washed and buffered in the bag, if I am not mistaken?

maybe contact them or try to see on their website if their premix coco bags are washed and buffered? 

did you do the ph and ppm tests?

I also had a wake up on the whole mixing your nutes so long before hand, I assume if the hydro guys can mix their reservoirs once a week you should be fine doing so too, but still would suggest checking ph and ppm very often if you going that route. 

hahah I had the opposite happen to me, had a bunch of coco sitting around so used that for my first grows, before really taking anything serious, then my lack of knowledge discouraged me, untill I bought a bag of FF along with my first tent and all that. didn't need to know much and had exellent results!

On 7/19/2021 at 3:21 PM, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

hmmm, that actually flips the whole show around, the ff coco mix come washed and buffered in the bag, if I am not mistaken?

maybe contact them or try to see on their website if their premix coco bags are washed and buffered? 

did you do the ph and ppm tests?

I also had a wake up on the whole mixing your nutes so long before hand, I assume if the hydro guys can mix their reservoirs once a week you should be fine doing so too, but still would suggest checking ph and ppm very often if you going that route. 

hahah I had the opposite happen to me, had a bunch of coco sitting around so used that for my first grows, before really taking anything serious, then my lack of knowledge discouraged me, untill I bought a bag of FF along with my first tent and all that. didn't need to know much and had exellent results!

Haha nice, lucky!

The ph was 6.4 and ppm 105

20 July 2021 - Flower Week 6 ✔️

Officially in the harvest window suggested by green smoke room seeds.

I want to wait until a few trichs are amber though.

I can never tell if these trichs are clear or not, but to me it looks like most are not clear with a few clear ones still there.

image.thumb.png.0d1e1d7c525a05b71bf80f9c4d342d2e.png

image.thumb.png.8e1aced4dad278a5f7901314868e82b8.pngimage.thumb.png.db2f68d5c2be8fb2dd6cc5aa0e7f6853.png

image.png.9c7e8b97ef65f70311c3cef97b0f77c7.pngimage.png.03ff3457938e1860838e622bd0022f07.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Orcanic said:

20 July 2021 - Flower Week 6 ✔️

Officially in the harvest window suggested by green smoke room seeds.

I want to wait until a few trichs are amber though.

I can never tell if these trichs are clear or not, but to me it looks like most are not clear with a few clear ones still there.

image.thumb.png.0d1e1d7c525a05b71bf80f9c4d342d2e.png

image.thumb.png.8e1aced4dad278a5f7901314868e82b8.pngimage.thumb.png.db2f68d5c2be8fb2dd6cc5aa0e7f6853.png

image.png.9c7e8b97ef65f70311c3cef97b0f77c7.pngimage.png.03ff3457938e1860838e622bd0022f07.png

They look good bud, I wouldn't harvest anytime soon. They are fading quite fast though, but definitely more bulking up can be done, maybe another 2/3 weeks, but really good so far. 👏

That's a cool trellis, I'm sure you have plans to fill it up for the next grow.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Orcanic said:

Haha nice, lucky!

The ph was 6.4 and ppm 105

I am assuming this is the runoff values? You test what whas going in?

ph should be fine, although it's 0.2 or so out of range, for a flowering plant in coco the ideal ph is 5.9 to 6.2. Right now it seems your plant might not be uptaking Phosphorus, Boron and Manganese.

grabbed a simple chart off the internet, there are much better charts, although this one gives some guidancehydroponics-ph-chart-marijuana.jpg.42077a39b5dc2a6bb27ba7da98ea5dc8.jpg

the ppm, I hope is that low because you been flushing, but for flowering plants the ppm should be around 1000 to 1500ppm.

when looking at trichomes to determine ripeness don't look at the trichomes at the tips of buds and not at all on sugar leaves. they tend to change colour way before the buds are ready and we trim those away when harvested. find a nice exposed calyx or somewhere you can really get in there and look at the trichomes on a bud. those should all still be clear. 

typically a plant goes for longer than the breeders claim, so I would say wait till the estimated time then add another 2 or 3 weeks. 

I do have to add that those girls are showing some really nice colours right now! 😁

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 5:43 AM, ORGANinc. said:

They look good bud, I wouldn't harvest anytime soon. They are fading quite fast though, but definitely more bulking up can be done, maybe another 2/3 weeks, but really good so far. 👏

That's a cool trellis, I'm sure you have plans to fill it up for the next grow.  

Thanks man. Yeah definitely, I want to completely fill it next time.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 5:50 AM, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I am assuming this is the runoff values? You test what whas going in?

ph should be fine, although it's 0.2 or so out of range, for a flowering plant in coco the ideal ph is 5.9 to 6.2. Right now it seems your plant might not be uptaking Phosphorus, Boron and Manganese.

grabbed a simple chart off the internet, there are much better charts, although this one gives some guidancehydroponics-ph-chart-marijuana.jpg.42077a39b5dc2a6bb27ba7da98ea5dc8.jpg

the ppm, I hope is that low because you been flushing, but for flowering plants the ppm should be around 1000 to 1500ppm.

when looking at trichomes to determine ripeness don't look at the trichomes at the tips of buds and not at all on sugar leaves. they tend to change colour way before the buds are ready and we trim those away when harvested. find a nice exposed calyx or somewhere you can really get in there and look at the trichomes on a bud. those should all still be clear. 

typically a plant goes for longer than the breeders claim, so I would say wait till the estimated time then add another 2 or 3 weeks. 

I do have to add that those girls are showing some really nice colours right now! 😁

Yeah thats the run off with normal ph'd water.

I have been flushing for a week but I'm not so sure if I should add nutes again.. maybe I'll phase some in.

Thanks I'm loving these colours, first time I've had a plant go purple.

And yeah I'll try be more patient with harvesting this time round.

I stuck the microscope right into the bud but I'll check again and make sure I'm looking at a calyx, thanks man!!

• Like 2