Recommended light distance power for seedling

Slartibarfast

You got no hanging instructions from light it up? Contact them and ask... they should add that to the package, very essential information and belongs to each light sold. If they dont tell you, let me know and i build quick a setup and measure it for you.

Dont buy lamps without the distances provided to hang them... is like buying a car without odometer.. turns the object into junk, if you cant use it how you should. Driving without knowing how fast you are... will get expensive over time. 

Hanging distances for germination, vegetative and flower are part of a good light.. a light without those information is a bit useless....

• Like 2

You got no hanging instructions from light it up? Contact them and ask... they should add that to the package, very essential information and belongs to each light sold. If they dont tell you, let me know and i build quick a setup and measure it for you.
Dont buy lamps without the distances provided to hang them... is like buying a car without odometer.. turns the object into junk, if you cant use it how you should. Driving without knowing how fast you are... will get expensive over time. 
Hanging distances for germination, vegetative and flower are part of a good light.. a light without those information is a bit useless....
Man, that's unfortunate. I cannot seem to find anything of the sort for the light. I am going to try my hand at calculating the PPFD.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Contact the shop, which sold you the light... is not a grow light, if you don't get those numbers.. is just something that produces light ^^ Grow lights you get INSTRUCTIONS with it, how to use it, or is just not a grow light.. or anything can be a grow light. If somebody sells lights without those numbers.. STAY AWAY! 

• Like 1

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

• Samsung LED LM301B |  2 x QB288 V2
  • Power: 240W
  • South African three-point plug
  • Spectrum: 3500K
  • Voltage Range: 90-277VAC
  • Meanwell Driver XLG-240-H-AB
  • Flowering footprint: 0.83㎡
  • Veg footprint: 1,4㎡
  • System Efficiency: 200 lm/W
  • CRI: 80
  • Dimensions: 64cm x 19.5cm x 1.5cm
  • Mounting Height: 35cm – 70cm above canopy

This is from the link you posted

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

• Samsung LED LM301B |  2 x QB288 V2
  • Power: 240W
  • South African three-point plug
  • Spectrum: 3500K
  • Voltage Range: 90-277VAC
  • Meanwell Driver XLG-240-H-AB
  • Flowering footprint: 0.83㎡
  • Veg footprint: 1,4㎡
  • System Efficiency: 200 lm/W
  • CRI: 80
  • Dimensions: 64cm x 19.5cm x 1.5cm
  • Mounting Height: 35cm – 70cm above canopy
This is from the link you posted
Not specific, just a range. My other light came with a distance to PAR value chart. I actually did not think about that when I bought this one

• Like 1

I'm no guru but I'm chucking in my 2c.
Buying a light from someone like California Light Works at what, R10000 plus. Yes I would expect instructions and more.
Buying a light at 4k and a bit with all the boxes ticked, you work on a guide line for hanging distances.
My first light was semi custom made using the latest diodes etc. Not mentioning names as I don't want to stir the pot but man, wish I could kit out my entire grow with his quality.
You grow and you learn the light heights appropriate to your grow environment.
Living and learning hey?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:55 PM, DamDave said:

I'm no guru but I'm chucking in my 2c.
Buying a light from someone like California Light Works at what, R10000 plus. Yes I would expect instructions and more.
Buying a light at 4k and a bit with all the boxes ticked, you work on a guide line for hanging distances.
My first light was semi custom made using the latest diodes etc. Not mentioning names as I don't want to stir the pot but man, wish I could kit out my entire grow with his quality.
You grow and you learn the light heights appropriate to your grow environment.
Living and learning hey?

In my point of view you approach the topic from the wrong angle. To many people wasting resources and sell crap, that needs to stop... is more my approach 😁

There are the right ways to do something and the rest is wrong. If you produce grow lights, but not even invest in a lousy 10k quantum flux meter, what is all to provide the needed information, then you do not really care what you sell and just look for a fast bug.

is like a seed bank storing their beans in desk drawers and not climatized cabinets... or you design and produce engines without a dyno to check what kw your product has. A grow light comes with distance to hang... germ, veg and flower... point. Then you know how to use your light.

Light is one of the most essential inputs you give at indoor growing, to much or to little is not good for your plants... if that wouldnt matter, wouldnt care if light producers hand over those numbers or not, but they matter, so they belong to each grow light... just advertise "home made light" if you dont give about and just sell some stuff. But then... nobody would buy. Half finished product, that is what a grow light with not accurate numbers is. 

Edited by Prom
english bad ^^
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I've seen another way at which guys in the states are figuring out the LED, especially LEDs they say... Is obviously all the points above very effective for understanding the best range for each stage. However, having a general hanging height 40cm - 60cm and measuring the surface temperature of the leaf. Now this might have a 1 draw back that comes to mind now, which is unhappy plants are usually hotter they say. 

A good surface temp for the leaf would be around ambient temperature, then another guy from a commercial facility said 28 degrees was his sweet spot. One of the pro's in my mind regarding measuring leaf surface temp with a temp gun, would be the ability to get really close to that line of maximum availability of photosynthetic capacity of a certain plant.  

Edited by ORGANinc.

In my point of view you approach the topic from the wrong angle. To many people wasting resources and sell crap, that needs to stop... is more my approach 
There are the right ways to do something and the rest is wrong. If you produce grow lights, but not even invest in a lousy 10k quantum flux meter, what is all to provide the needed information, then you do not really care what you sell and just look for a fast bug.
is like a seed bank storing there beans in desk drawers and not climatized cabinets... or you design and produce engines without a dyno to check what kw your product has. A grow light comes with distance to hang... germ, veg and flower... point. Then you know how to use your light.
Light is one of the most essential inputs you give at indoor growing, to much or to little is not good for your plants... if that wouldnt matter, wouldnt care if light producers hand over those numbers or not, but they matter, so they belong to each grow light... just advertise "home made light" if you dont give about and just sell some stuff. But then... nobody would buy. Half finished product, that is what a grow light with not accurate numbers is. 
Totally the wrong angle when you put it that way.
As the average grower I'd love to invest in top shelf quality but it's kinda out of my reach.
You do a web search and an average hanging height is usually mentioned and that's the reason I had one built by someone who is well known for his lights.

All the more reason to do your research when buying lights and these conversations.

I run into so many people "growing" indoor and hardly get over 30g a plant... that is more indoor hibernating 😁 they do nothing wrong just use the wrong light or simply to weak. You change that factor and suddenly they grow awesome dense buds. Light has more importance compared to fertilizer.. is my opinion. 

Instead of using a "cheap" light, put the money you waste on Eskom into a jar and wait till the jar has enough for the right gear.. is a total win/win at the end, plants more happy.. you more happy. 

If you have no buddy helping you to setup your first indoor system, you will not get around reading for a few weeks. Isn't as expensive as most think.. just do it right or it is a barrel with no bottom money wise. 

• Like 2

I've had good growth with seedlings at 20cm @ 25% strength, once the true leaves are out 25cm @ 50% then kept it at that height until flower, raised to 40cm @ 75%. Light bleaching started at 10cm.

Anyone else noticed an increased need for CalMag under LEDs?

Edited by CG420za
  • Like 3

I've had good growth with seedlings at 20cm @ 25% strength, once the true leaves are out 25cm @ 50% then kept it at that height until flower, raised to 40cm @ 75%. Light bleaching started at 10cm.

Anyone else noticed an increased need for CalMag under LEDs?

Is this with the same light as mine?

@CreX thanks for tagging us.

We have provided @Slartibarfast with the information he requested. We are in the process of making some custom PPFD maps and will publish this along with some additional information on our website once complete.

Since we include a dimmer, we will provide distances for different power levels as well and for different stages of growth.

Edited by Light It Up
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Seedlings don't require much light, it's when they hit the veg Stage (when they show their 4/5th set of true leaves or 30 days max) that's when it's required to increase intensity abit, depanding on your light, that can be around 20% strength. The best thing to do to remove any guess work is to invest in a par meter, they can range about 1k - 3k. If you don't want to spend that much you can still go for a lux Metter which you can grab one for R400, even with the standard manufacturer distance recommendtions with time the led  become dimmer or might even have a factory fault, that's why investing in such meters like a lux or par meter takes out all the guess work. For lux traditionally you want to hit the following ranges 

Seedling - 5000 - 7000

Veg - 15000 - 50000

Flower - 45000 - 65000

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/16/2021 at 10:31 AM, Light It Up said:

@CreX thanks for tagging us.

We have provided @Slartibarfast with the information he requested. We are in the process of making some custom PPFD maps and will publish this along with some additional information on our website once complete.

Since we include a dimmer, we will provide distances for different power levels as well and for different stages of growth.

Waiting in anticipation for this info 8-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Light It Up said:

A little sneak peak - we're busy with it!

There have been some delays unfortunately but it's happening and is in progress.

Got some other things in the pipeline too 🙂 

Awesome!! A little sneak peak of the pipeline maybe? 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...