Grand daddy purple - Sea of Green

Nope

Hi 420SA members. 

There was interest in the work that I've been getting at for the last few weeks, so I agreed to do a diary. Any guidance, advise or opinions welcome.  

Grow Specs

• Mamoth Classic 100 tent (1m² total floor space, 2m³ total). 
  • 1 x 240w quantum board. I don't think this is enough light, I'm considering adding another once I beat SARS in an ongoing cluster fuck from 2018.
  • 2 x Ram Oscillating fans. 
  • 2 x HIT150 inline fans. One drawing filtered air from outside, the second exhausts outside to. 
  • Substrate - 40% Coir, 40%Perlite, 20% Washed silica(I like the additional weight the silica adds to the bags/pots).
  • 5ltr Letaba plastic grow bags because the dimensions of the bag was quite appealing due to space issues. 
  • This will be my last grow using Nutriplex fertiliser program. 
  • I have a pest management program in place which consists of yellow sticky traps and a neem application every 10-14 days(not during flower). 

Beans were germinated at the end of Jan 2021. I selected only 2 mothers roughly 18 days later. 

Moms at 18 days 

image.thumb.png.d85f1b8875ded6103d35887266c70554.png 

Moms were topped and grown on for a further 20 days, then cuttings were taken. There is only one really sleg image I'm to embarrassed to share of the moms before they were mutilated.  

Brand new cuts

Total of 12 cuts per plant were taken from each mother.

image.thumb.png.422133ae7455873d5df8911b1d92b7bc.pngl

Rooted cuts 100% strike rate.

The cuttings had a 50% dilution of the Nutriplex veg formulation from day 1 and received a fluvic foliar every other day. Looks like it worked.

image.png.96ea8383dbf60f2f4ed5e87ad15989ba.png

Bagged/potted cuts

4 days after the above image the plants were bagged and put into the tent. They received full strength Nutriplex veg formulation for 1 week, no issues. 

image.thumb.png.13417debd7c2de185252f9868cac90c2.png 

Which brings us round to 6 April when the below image was snapped. Plants are looking good and new growth can be seen. 

image.thumb.png.ea1a5c446abbe217e2f71c7722c19196.png

Thanks for looking, I really hope this grow ends well. CRIT, ADVISE and OPINION is always encouraged. Negative or positive, your feedback is valued... Particularly light and nutrition department.  

Edited by Adansonia digitata
Spelling
  • Like 11

• Nope changed the title to Grand daddy purple - Sea of Green

Image from last Sunday. 

One clone still looks like its fallen behind slightly. If it doesn't improve over the coming days, it will be moved to the edge and replaced with a plant of the same height. I'm considering taking out the drip trays so the herd can be packed tighter together and create some space on the sides of the tent. Not sure if this is the way, I will probably seek the sage advise of the magic 8ball. 🎱 LOL! 

Fertigation has proved to be troublesome, We are using a 20ltr backpack sprayer in the mean time while components for an automated fertigation system are gathered. I'm away for the whole week so my Special Lady Friend is holding it down. I'm super lucky to have a partner who loves cultivation as much as me.  Play together, stay together.   

image.thumb.png.ef9f07523f2455ba75515303a0771fe7.png

Crit, opinion, advise, be it positive or negative is always welcome. Thanks for looking, peas! 

• Like 9

Good evening @Adansonia digitata

Love the report and grow so far, one thing that I might advise on, well two things.

Your trays can stay if you prefer, the plants are close enough, as it is, you going to probably run out of space and remove some, being that they will at least double in size as you send them to flower. 

Second is more of a thank you, for toning down the saturation on the latest picture, the previous was so bright I put my shade on😎 (good choice of photo edit app, same as me, wink wink😉😉)

Blessings 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Good evening @Adansonia digitata

Love the report and grow so far, one thing that I might advise on, well two things.

Your trays can stay if you prefer, the plants are close enough, as it is, you going to probably run out of space and remove some, being that they will at least double in size as you send them to flower. 

Second is more of a thank you, for toning down the saturation on the latest picture, the previous was so bright I put my shade on😎 (good choice of photo edit app, same as me, wink wink😉😉)

Blessings 

Lol, thanks dude. 

I have the image capture and editing skills of a potato. I don't expect it to get much better. 

How much bigger do you think they will get? They only had 18/6 for just over a week. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Adansonia digitata said:

Lol, thanks dude. 

I have the image capture and editing skills of a potato. I don't expect it to get much better. 

How much bigger do you think they will get? They only had 18/6 for just over a week. 

If you flip to flower now, you'll probably just make it for space. 

Check the breeder specifics on the strain for the size into flower. Then come back to me.

Normally, its double, but can be 3 times bigger too

Screenshot_20210415-193423_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c69816b29c6f657baa2b3b310a7ffc52.jpg

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
Picture
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Adansonia digitata said:

Hope not. The goal is single cola plants. It will be interesting to see how big they get having been on 12/12 for 6 days already. 

Your title said sea of green, hence me thinking you going to run the net still and flatten the plants under the net, then you'll have serious problems. 

Must have missed where you said you flipped to 12/12 as I thought you in veg still.

You'll still have side branches that touch the plants next to them, but you'll never get away with packing them bag to bag, not a chance.

Added, there is normally a 3 week stretch, so you not half way yet through that. But you'll be okay with straight up colas, just not going to big then for the amount of veg and size before flippin. 

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
Added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input dudes. The company whom supplied the beans and other interwebs searches claim 80/20 indica dominant strain. Time will tell I guess. 

Rad Friday further and a safe weekend ahead. 

• Like 3

Finally back in town. These ladies are gluttons and have stretched proper. According to the cannabis for private use bill, we can have unlimited seeds, Seedlings and vegging plants(Schedual3 (a)section2(1)(a), and 8 flowing plants per household of 2 adults(Schedual3 (b)section2(1)(b). In this time I was away, the grow went from perfectly legal to illegal😢. A most unreasonable concept in my mind really, It would be a miracle to yield 1200 dry grams(Schedual3 (d)section2(1)(d). 

I'm super impressed with the moms. They look very happy and are getting thick. 

Pics to follow. 

Potato pic update. 

I cocked up by not anticipating how much they would stretch and few of the girls are showing a little damage which I suspect is due to the proximity to lamp on Thursday and Friday. The ducting will be changed back to how it was originally. I noticed that the plant in the right corner was being sucked to the exhaust vent and tried to see what if there was a way around it. This is not an option, I'd love some input if you have. Plants are looking quite uniform, even though the image doesn't really show it. They are between 35 and 40-ish cm in height. @The_StonedTrooperlooks like they have tripled in size if not more.  

image.thumb.png.f4a30241c3c00514ab5ad748d2a7c470.png

Side profile showing the lanky little ladies. 

image.thumb.png.b3a8a880a35a2adb17fa5fead659d092.png

I will take some time this week to clean out the some of the lower growth to ensure the main cola continues to be dominant. Still think i need to get the drip trays out so they can be packed closer.  

Thanks for looking, always up for opinions, negative or positive as well as suggestions or guidance. Happy Monday! 

Apologies in advance for any damage to your eyes while viewing my awful snaps. 

• Like 3

This is one of the moms(X1). 

image.thumb.png.5a4aa6e20f56f5d3c366b8a5ee5ab60b.png

A better picture of the the clone army. There are 3 plants that have not stretched as much as the others, all came from X2. 

image.thumb.png.6647b8518db0ff0f23d3a312d32ee8ed.png

Spelling
  • Like 8

Took the trays out, packed them tight and cleaned out the lower growth.  I'm quite happy with how this is proceeding, but not sure what to expect in terms of yield. The objective of this grow was to try a different style of grow, and test my ability to propagate healthy young plants in the same fashion as a commercial grow. If you look carefully you will notice the plant in the extreme front right of the image is smaller. I noticed it had "topped" it's self. I've removed the weaker of the two growth points in the hope that it will still produce at least a little nugglet. 

image.thumb.png.1f6696608082752fc94620d47650afab.png 

Canopy shot after removing the trays, looking pretty slick given this a first attempt. I wish I had a bigger tent, I think a 32plant S.O.G would look the SHIT! 

image.thumb.png.cd1e1946252b4bb93718890e8c6309f9.png

Thanks for looking. Negative or positive, your opinion is valued. 

• Like 6

Week 3 of flowering protocol

Had an over watering issue which is slowly sorting its self out, so the plants are not looking as happy as I would like. The overwatering has lead to dash to much Nitrogen and they are super dark green, but not clawing. The nursery bags don't drain sufficiently and I believe this caused a "swamp zone" in the lower few centimeters, a simple modification will sort this out chop chop. Buds are developing nicely and trichomes are starting to form on and around the bud sites. 

The environment is something that has surprised me. I'm not using any device or unit to change the air that's going into the tent, just air from outside blasted into the tent and exhausted outside again. Left pic is first thing opening the tent this morning. Middle is minimum for the the last 24h. Right is max for the last 24h. I'm not sure if these devices are accurate, it's another thing on the ever increasing list of items to improve or get sorted. 

image.thumb.png.7588465f9e13f904c85538e1327f9d52.png

Canopy shot. Can see the coir is drying out, can also see the leaves are recovering after the swamp thing episode.

image.thumb.png.f7766cf6d97cc949b54ae6f67873323c.png 

I am concerned about the steady sound of the exhaust fan droning on throughout the night and day. Does a carbon filter also aid with dampening the sound while scrubbing the air? 

Thanks for looking. Negative or positive your input is valued. 

• Like 5

Not much to report.  

Over watering issue sorted, plants have recovered. Canopy is looking interesting, you can really see how the different genetic material performs. Clone selection could have been better, something to work on for the future.

image.thumb.png.d09ace5fc2f08479d45d953ef11a8227.png 

This smaller plant in front right is driving me insane. The only solution at this stage is to move it to the back of the class, at least the stupid trays are earning their keep... 

image.png.df97bc6486eced1366ce98fbd0a27344.png

I put some time aside to try and take some better bud shots of the moms. I managed 15 minutes and then lost interest. Below are two pics of X1, her clones are the plants on the left of the tent. She was my No1 mother selection. 

image.thumb.png.6ba89fe0f065cd4e5f9865dca91dad58.png

image.thumb.png.bf2a3776c05d3537f88e1a2f5381b212.png

Thanks for looking. Negative or positive, your input is valued. 

Wording
  • Like 10