First Proper Grow Attempt - Outdoors

StonerZN

Thanks for the help getting to this point everyone. 

Proper seeds are ordered and will be delivered soon. Following advice from @Prom I will start growing those at the end of this month.

In the meantime I decided to pop some bag seeds to do a trial run. The plan is to grow them for a month in some homemade canna soil I found at nursery not far from my flat according to a google search. I put their details in my Post about Durban supplies. I'll attach a pic .

3d72a95064c7bcd6fe064bfbd5537673.jpg

Checked this morning and 3 had sprouted already. 1 had a taproot that was already around 1cm long. Maybe there is something to this full moon thing after all! 

Moved the 3 sprouts into a seedling tray and watered well. The other 3 are back on the modem. 

Little tray of joy

8187b0de4b104f297cd86a2e67272338.jpg

Settling in on the windowsill till the weather settles

fcdae97750c983545c7b9eb60fb8e376.jpg

• Like 4

Less than 24hrs after planting I have action.

Bag Seed #1 showing early signs of being the 1/6 that may make it all the way. ce11908edf8002bfe3713b94586bf5c5.jpg

Checked the germination tray and the last of the 4 seeds from 1 particularly good batch of bought skyf has popped.

15d6b8ac0a3d5cf160f910da645fe565.jpg

The 2 unpopped are from a diff batch. One more day for them and then bin.

Hoping maybe one of these seedling shows enough potential to spend the effort continuing the trial run beyond the one month mark.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Seedlings started leaning a little towards the window and the light. Weather hasn't been good so they cant go outside yet.
Had a duh moment when I realised I already have a perfect germination light in the house already
Seedlings are spending the weekend in Widgets tank

2cabcacb81c4962cb91d582dc22158c5.jpg

BS #1 has got a bit yellow around the edges. Think some soil got stuck under the little leaves.
He has grown quite a bit. 7fa1bacd4391a362ec40f1ce0a727bc6.jpg

BS#2 broke ground last night and remains in 2nd position so far. Hoping for movement from 3 later and 4 by the morning if their patterns hold.

195273b03e332da95bda10605544b552.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Widget don't look happy to be sharing his tank.

On the contrary Widget thanked me for the snack by chowing my most promising seedling and knocking the whole tray over

My clever idea turns out not to have been so clever after all. Living (plant eating) animals and seedlings do not play well together RIP BS#1.

While fixing everything I noticed plants 3 and 4 had sorta got stuck in their seed shells.

I was nervous about cracking them completely off the seeds when I planted them... they didnt want to come off easily and I was scared of hurting them. Was this a bad move? They are both out now but looking somewhat brown. 87da7c84ace120844a49c54b74bbc08d.jpg

• Haha 2

Widgets intervention seems to have set growth back considerably. Now's 2 and 3 have barely grown in 4 days. No1 did not rise from the dead.
No4 is now the pack leader.
Planted another 4 backup seeds I had germinated over the weekend.
SB#1 wasn't planted deep enough and seems to have fallen over as it tried to unfurl its leaves. He/she is bottom left in the pic d215a41b85afc82ff436f6b77c2cf61d.jpg

On 10/4/2020 at 8:35 AM, StonerZN said:

On the contrary Widget thanked me for the snack by chowing my most promising seedling and knocking the whole tray over emoji849.png

My clever idea turns out not to have been so clever after all. Living (plant eating) animals and seedlings do not play well together emoji23.png RIP BS#1.

While fixing everything I noticed plants 3 and 4 had sorta got stuck in their seed shells.

I was nervous about cracking them completely off the seeds when I planted them... they didnt want to come off easily and I was scared of hurting them. Was this a bad move? They are both out now but looking somewhat brown. 87da7c84ace120844a49c54b74bbc08d.jpg

Don't stress about the shell. The plant knows how to grow itself. I wondered how long the lovely green shoots would last in Widget's tank lol. If the seedlings don't get enough light then they will grow tall and skinny, so do put them outside even if the weather isn't great. They should survive unless you are having torrential rains. I'm germinating in the Cape and temps go really low sometimes, way below 13 degrees, and then the plants just go dormant until they can metabolize again. I've grown plants in Cape Town winter with success and no fancy equipment.

Don't stress about the shell. The plant knows how to grow itself. I wondered how long the lovely green shoots would last in Widget's tank lol. If the seedlings don't get enough light then they will grow tall and skinny, so do put them outside even if the weather isn't great. They should survive unless you are having torrential rains. I'm germinating in the Cape and temps go really low sometimes, way below 13 degrees, and then the plants just go dormant until they can metabolize again. I've grown plants in Cape Town winter with success and no fancy equipment.

Good to know. Much appreciated. All the ones I have attempted to grow on the windowsill have tended towards the tall and gangly side.
They have all spent the last 2 days out in the sun while it lasts. Will try leave them out through the approaching front and only bring them in if it gets too wet.

• Agree 1

Happy days. Happy days.
Got a free seed! Little confused about it though lol.
Seems to be either an Amnesia Haze Auto or an AK77V.
So either an auto or not an auto that could produce a small challenge trying to decide how to grow it
Both strains look mad though, keen either way 0daab130277c3dc4c52f2d92a90696ba.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Biltong and Budz said:

Hey!

I believe from our dispatch team that those freebies should be autos either way, it's only a matter of whether it's the one auto or the other 🙂

Holy smokes. 

Thanks very much for the reply. Thanks also for the great service and speedy delivery! Legends. May have been my first order but certainly won't be the last!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on the bag seed pilot project...
Struggled to find a sunny spot that got enough sun at the flats while trying to keep then discrete.
Having to move them at lunch from one side of building to the other.
Seem to be doing nicely.
Fashioned a little camoflauge/wind break/ easier moving contraption with an old chopping board and some garden decorations I found laying around.
Made moving them easier and seems to be stopping the bugs from getting at them a little. a5e86821f328af666f8e72f73c05094d.jpg

• Like 4

Moving to new place in 2 weeks or so... then I have a bit more freedom... will still need to be semi discrete while I figure out my surroundings a bit though.

Still plan on only choosing one of these to take all the way to harvest

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just over 1 month into the pilot grow.

Have only fed water until now.

This soil I got from St Clements has served me very well I would say.

Starting to show signs of problems now though.

Went back to the nursery the other day for an extra bit of their homemade soil to do a transplant and got some really cheap nutrient stuff while there. 2 tubs (R120) of white powdery balletjies... one NPK and the other CaNO3 (keep mixing the C and the N up lol. -high school science was a long while ago and I was never great).

Getting brownish spots in places and some lightening of the leaves. Given a small dose of both powders to help them out. 48b1272d4661351c6cb9dfe31c0fdc00.jpg

366ad1d6ae54e8272d06291cad908369.jpg

54e73ff8e2f203a839f8c4a03592b7ec.jpg

I think this is a calcium shortage - but probably general hungriness due to being only on water diet until now.

• 2 weeks later...

Move done and dusted.
President WW3 auto, FastBuds Sour Diesel auto and freebie Amnesia Haze/ Ak77V (hereinafter renamed AHK77V) all soaked and in towels 14/11

WW3 and SD popped and were in soil yesterday 15/11.
AHK77V has a tiny taproom showing will plant this afternoon!

Also popped the first of my Totemic Dark Ride F1 seeds straight into a seedling starter. More of those in the next few days.

Got a sample of biobizz bioheaven and something called Biodyne so put 1ml each into the water when I planted WW3 and SD.

Pilot grow going well. a0aea2cdc4c9ee85b2a09e0119000c28.jpg

New view
d5d786f8baa305c20408cfc4c5139d96.jpg

Lots of good bugs I think
a9cd829167d667e7e18649a5f6813333.jpg

1e4c6f9af1ae092e3cd019f9bfb36ba1.jpg
8fe585b7846a0f5c6b30cce74591a8ce.jpg
b6e97ff768eca775635985d198e9965d.jpg
59e81db8849b8680f55cf9c82f55a18e.jpg

• Like 4

GroHydro in store. They didnt have what I wanted (small root juice) and others in stock so think they felt bad and hooked me up. Seemed like only 2/3 different vials in the bag mine came out of so dont think they will be widely available...
Keen to see what it does (not sure I could ever justify paying for it unless its magical)

Loved the service I must say. Okes were super helpful!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along nicely.
Ww3 and SD are well and 2 weeks in.
397103cb5c98052f442055b897203d64.jpg
975a1d371cf60e06cb2a8dde2b42b24a.jpg

Dark ride same age also coming nicely.
b7d2857672438e5cd6ddb8bcdd2f4528.jpg

Planted some companion plants as distraction for the bugs.
Feeding biobizz bioheaven at 2ml/l.
Struggling to find local stock of 250ml root juice so haven't has that yet.
Little more biodyne as well and some neem oil spray over the weekend.
1a50ca61115caa5114cfbecce4740e84.jpg
4d7487c40931b0af755fa736f65c6998.jpg

Started some LST and exfoliation on my pilot bag seed grow. Gonna top another and try HST him.
9702088176bfbbb55b55ca22b8becd1f.jpg

Have a wild fig and tonnes of fruit bats.
This is the result. Beside my house being painted on a nightly basis... any usefulness?
e1fa1758fcc18121a527d1ddcdc3fefb.jpg