BluntKnife's First Outdoor Grow

BluntKnife

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 3:02 PM, CoolJ said:

My dogs are the worst! 

I wasn't done building my makeshift barrier yet then I come outside to find the one inside my 100l pot and 2 autos destroyed, happened twice but luckily now they can't get inside. 

IMG_20200806_172004.jpg

The reason i grow indoor. I use to stay on a small holding with geese, dogs, cats, donkeys, horses, chickens and grooms. 

Nothing was safe, I never saw an outdoor harvest after numerous attempts.

Edited by Bakstein420
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fridgedoor said:

Hi @BluntKnife, just realized your thread went a bit offtopic... How's your grow going?

Hey @Fridgedoor, things are going ok so far. I just haven't had the time to give a full update with some pics, but will definitely make some time this weekend to get a few pics and will give an update 🙂

I have also adopted a mates grow tent with his 1 autoflower plant as he moved into a smaller spot and didnt have the space.

The plant doesnt seem to be too happy at the moment, but trying a few small things to make her happy again 🙂

Was going to take some pics of the indoor auto and ask for help on this thread or should I keep it separate and start a new thread for that one?

Good to hear you got a new addition to your grow @BluntKnife. Perhaps the plants just got a bit stressed because of the move especially seeing it's an Autoflower. One of the members here (my stoned brain can't remember who) changed the light cycle and the plants got a bit confused. Did you stick to your buddy's light cycle?

But yeah I agree with @Stinger96 start a new one and it will probably get môre attention. 

• Like 1

@Fridgedoor Ok cool. I did stick to his light cycle, it was 24/7. But due to load shedding, it has got a 2 hour darkness session here and there.

I will take some pics on the weekend and post it on a new thread 🙂

Just a random question in regards to watering. How much water do you actually give your plants? I cant find an exact answer, which probably due to so many different factors.

For example, would giving a new sprout of about 2 weeks old 250ml of water with or withou nutes, to little?

Would a plant of that size need more?

Then for a more fully developed plant (say between the 4 - 8 week life span) , would giving it like 2l of water with or without nutes be too much?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dank said:

@BluntKnife ideally you want your growing medium to get dryish after about 3 days when hand watering. 

Plants will use water at different rates depending on factors such as heat, wind, etc.

Thank you @Dank

And in regards to how much water you should be giving each time you do water after about 3 days?

Should I be making sure I add enough water to the soil from the edge of the pot across to the center?

And should there be enough water each feeding to get run off out the bottom of these 30 and 40l pots or would that be giving too much?

Sorry for so many questions, just really trying to understand the feeding a bit more as I am not sure if I am doing to much or to little right now 😂

• Like 1

@BluntKnife a very small plant could go a few days on 50ml - 100ml, depending on the growing medium, heat, etc.

I would recommend u experiment, not sure how big ur plants are, but give em say 50ml (if they are small plants) and see how long it takes for it to dry to about the stem.

Well rooted plants in a 10l pot can drink 1 to 2 liters every day or two, the bigger the plant the more they drink.

Please bear in mind this will all vary greatly depending on your growing medium and external factors.

Feeding with runoff also depends on your growing medium. Hope that helps a bit :-greenthumb

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dank said:

@BluntKnife a very small plant could go a few days on 50ml - 100ml, depending on the growing medium, heat, etc.

I would recommend u experiment, not sure how big ur plants are, but give em say 50ml (if they are small plants) and see how long it takes for it to dry to about the stem.

Well rooted plants in a 10l pot can drink 1 to 2 liters every day or two, the bigger the plant the more they drink.

Please bear in mind this will all vary greatly depending on your growing medium and external factors.

Feeding with runoff also depends on your growing medium. Hope that helps a bit :-greenthumb

That has helped a lot, thank you @Dank

• Agree 1

Whatsup brothers

An update on the grow.

I think the seeds sprouted around the 27/28th of August, so the little girls are about 2 weeks old now going into their third week.

The Platinum OG never made it through, so I only have the Banana Kush, Bruce Banner and Sunset Sherbet from this batch.

Excuse the poor photography, hopefully I get better at it 😂<span> 

Banana Kush

Banana_1.thumb.jpg.b35e9a9a347bff00310ba1cee1af1ce4.jpg

Banana_2.thumb.jpg.4ff07aaf209e0afd062ac975bc34950a.jpg

Bruce Banner

Bruce_1.thumb.jpg.7f063b932d6f579dda1b77470c66b393.jpg

Bruce_2.thumb.jpg.aaa2062b599315feedcde162e0cbd6b0.jpg

Sunset Sherbet

Sunset_1.thumb.jpg.cc1c9a3331a74220d6aef4ed971459f6.jpg

Sunset_2.thumb.jpg.2f8e48b643d7f82391c8fd3a239f0b1f.jpg

• Like 3

This little lady was my test subject, which I used to try out the germinating process and growing it before going out and buying seeds etc.

I got lucky and it was a female (I think), but my other test subject turned out to be a male. So pulled that one out.

She sprouted about the 7th of July, give or take.

So she is about 9/10 weeks old.

I know this isnt part of my official first grow plants, but if you can give any advice on her as well please 😁

Strain, it is either Kandy Kush or 24k Gold, not sure exactly as I didnt take notice which one was which when I planted them.

So the one was the male which was pulled out 😂

IMG_20200912_145235.jpg

IMG_20200912_145257.jpg

IMG_20200912_145310.jpg

IMG_20200912_145326.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 6:42 AM, afternoon blazer said:

Unlucky bro. She seems like flowering was taking off nicely too.

Btw howz ur watering issue doing?

Managed to get a hang of it?

At this stage, I literally am winging it with the watering.

I have been using a 2l coke bottle of water/neuts to feed the 3 small plants.

Do you rate should be roughly enough or am I over or under doing it?

I have been doing this every 2 to 3 days, depending on how the top layer of medium felt.

I will get some pics in the next day or so and post them up for the progress and for feedback 🙂

15 hours ago, BluntKnife said:

At this stage, I literally am winging it with the watering.

I have been using a 2l coke bottle of water/neuts to feed the 3 small plants.

Do you rate should be roughly enough or am I over or under doing it?

I have been doing this every 2 to 3 days, depending on how the top layer of medium felt.

I will get some pics in the next day or so and post them up for the progress and for feedback 🙂

I use a 2l coke bottle. 

Water every 2-3 days depending on the size of the plant. Im in 10 liter fabric pots. That seems to work well. 

The 2l should last you 3 waterings atleast and not more then 4.

U are in plastic pots. So they might not dry out too fast. So stay on the 3 day schedule for now.

But show us some pics. Would like to see how they coming along.

Grow Update.

This is about 4 weeks in now. I have some slight (hoping minor) issues on some of them. Not sure if its anything to worry about at this stage or let them grow and then decide if any actions are required.

I did try some soapy water to try do some pest control, which I am assuming gave the brown patche on a few of the leaves?

Sunset Sherbet

SS-T.thumb.jpg.7da36b7b016c2bb64c45075d7deeb1f2.jpg

SS-L.thumb.jpg.3c516bc9790ef4d03ebc0d3eafa5cb08.jpg

SS-L2.thumb.jpg.e3903ac053190fc39b2a944da9ec5eb6.jpg

Banana Kush

BK-T.thumb.jpg.83a04453c33f40d51b7672c9ee7c229f.jpg

BK-L.thumb.jpg.f91d408073f2c0608c96783827b08675.jpg

BK-L1.thumb.jpg.41a412ed24e4e33abc24a99ed4ed3867.jpg

Bruce Banner

BB-T.thumb.jpg.a2c3b27b14b6c230c5eee46ca9a335cd.jpg

BB-S.thumb.jpg.43bfc77d9214b828ed20227733c6bb87.jpg

BB-L2.thumb.jpg.94ac834b7d1827507989e9574b7c968f.jpg

On 9/10/2020 at 11:57 AM, BluntKnife said:

@Fridgedoor Ok cool. I did stick to his light cycle, it was 24/7. But due to load shedding, it has got a 2 hour darkness session here and there.

I will take some pics on the weekend and post it on a new thread 🙂

Just a random question in regards to watering. How much water do you actually give your plants? I cant find an exact answer, which probably due to so many different factors.

For example, would giving a new sprout of about 2 weeks old 250ml of water with or withou nutes, to little?

Would a plant of that size need more?

Then for a more fully developed plant (say between the 4 - 8 week life span) , would giving it like 2l of water with or without nutes be too much?

Depends on grower, strain & individual plant some are more thirsty than others, you'll get a feel for each ones requirements + every grower has their own beliefs lol

Personally speaking I usually water with 30% of pot volume every 3rd day with feeding on every 3rd cycle (once weekly) and i havent had any issues

if the seedling is under two weeks ill only water with 10% pot volume and only add more if I see plant needs it 

When trying to figure out nute strength best would be to use an EC pen - typically seedlings can safely take solution with etc of 0.5 - 0.7 until they 2/3weeks (I prefer to use castings or used filter coffee) - Vegetative stage u can start pumping ec up to 1.3-1.7 - flowering 1.3-2.0 - you could wing it without an EC pen but for the price they definately worthwhile

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Psylecta said:

Depends on grower, strain & individual plant some are more thirsty than others, you'll get a feel for each ones requirements + every grower has their own beliefs lol

Personally speaking I usually water with 30% of pot volume every 3rd day with feeding on every 3rd cycle (once weekly) and i havent had any issues

if the seedling is under two weeks ill only water with 10% pot volume and only add more if I see plant needs it 

When trying to figure out nute strength best would be to use an EC pen - typically seedlings can safely take solution with etc of 0.5 - 0.7 until they 2/3weeks (I prefer to use castings or used filter coffee) - Vegetative stage u can start pumping ec up to 1.3-1.7 - flowering 1.3-2.0 - you could wing it without an EC pen but for the price they definately worthwhile

Thank you so much for this detailed breakdown @Psylecta, appreciate it 🙂

This is something I can try work with in my setup and adjust accordingly to the plants needs 🙂