Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

1 hour ago, zolrooker said:

I'm now thinking that maybe the easiest thing would be to buy some auto flowering seeds and put it under my greenhouse / pool cover as it gets full sunlight throughout the day. I'd just have to move it as summer approaches. 

Are auto flowering strains easy to grow and will this idea work? 

Autoflowering strains are not easy to grow. There is a multitude of things that can go wrong. And sometimes its just hit and miss with some strains. 

A tote does not offer much space. I managed to grow 1 auto in a double stack tote but lost all my main colas to bud rot. 
20200113_204711.thumb.jpg.a14e27b98e0581fb0ab2fb5a76f310ff.jpg
A very rewarding experience nonetheless...
I did a grow with two 250L totes with a scrog over both ( to big I know but going to do a second run in the soil) one had 3 x 35cm plants and the other one had 6 x 20cm plants and yields was simular.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I did a grow with two 250L totes with a scrog over both ( to big I know but going to do a second run in the soil) one had 3 x 35cm plants and the other one had 6 x 20cm plants and yields was simular.

Eish, not 250L......150L totes

14 hours ago, zolrooker said:

What are some easy strains I can go for ? 

If you have propper soil and enviroment no strains are hard to grow. My advice is decide what you want. Indica sativa hybrid. And see what catches your eye. OG kush is a nice strain to grow. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

If you have propper soil and enviroment no strains are hard to grow. My advice is decide what you want. Indica sativa hybrid. And see what catches your eye. OG kush is a nice strain to grow. 

I was thinking of 

Big Bhuddas Automatic 

Hulkberry Autoflowering 

Both are apparently easy to grow + Autoflowering. Anyone grown these? 

Should be fine in greenhouse and outdoor when larger I'm hoping. I'll put in pots and bring in on cold nights 

Edited by zolrooker

I was thinking of 
Big Bhuddas Automatic 
Hulkberry Autoflowering 
Both are apparently easy to grow + Autoflowering. Anyone grown these? 
Should be fine in greenhouse and outdoor when larger I'm hoping. I'll put in pots and bring in on cold nights 
What province are you from if I may

36 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

Ja autoflowers dont like the cold. So if you are going to do them you will need propper insulation for your grow. Photoperiod fems are much more forgiving. 

If I plant the photo fems now, when can I expect it to flower? 

So i went through my garage and found a crap load of T5 lights.

Not counting the blue lights + acitinics etc, i can probably put together about 16 high output  T5 globes which are a mixture of cool white, warm white and daylight (A total of around 750W)

Would these lights be sufficient for indoor growing?

21 hours ago, zolrooker said:

If I plant the photo fems now, when can I expect it to flower? 

If you plant photos outside now, they will start flowering immediately, so its not a good idea from seed.

47 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

So i went through my garage and found a crap load of T5 lights.

Not counting the blue lights + acitinics etc, i can probably put together about 16 high output  T5 globes which are a mixture of cool white, warm white and daylight (A total of around 750W)

Would these lights be sufficient for indoor growing?

If that is what you have on hand then it will suffice for Veg only.

I took apart my t5 floros and replaced them with equivalent LED tubes.More efficient and puts out more light than floro.I only used a 18 w to veg mine in a 1.2x1.2 scrog, so 750w is probably overkill and I wouldnt use floros for flowering.How many plants you planning?

On 6/10/2020 at 8:27 PM, Bakstein420 said:

A tote does not offer much space. I managed to grow 1 auto in a double stack tote but lost all my main colas to bud rot. 

20200113_204711.thumb.jpg.a14e27b98e0581fb0ab2fb5a76f310ff.jpg

A very rewarding experience nonetheless...

Those intakes and exhaust look about level with one another, its hard to tell, but I always extract out the top and my intake is at the bottom opposite corner to maximise the airflow over the plant 🙂

34 minutes ago, Batista said:

If you plant photos outside now, they will start flowering immediately, so its not a good idea from seed.

If that is what you have on hand then it will suffice for Veg only.

I took apart my t5 floros and replaced them with equivalent LED tubes.More efficient and puts out more light than floro.I only used a 18 w to veg mine in a 1.2x1.2 scrog, so 750w is probably overkill and I wouldnt use floros for flowering.How many plants you planning?

Probably massive overkill then for veg! Im only planning between 2-4 plants tbh.. dont want to try and grow too much while im still learning. what exactly are the requirements for the flowering stage? And why wouldnt these T5s work, along with a 75W LED?

On 6/12/2020 at 12:42 PM, GGG said:

It's free so you can give it a go, Google " T5 cannabis grows" then you will see how close you must be with the lights, it will work if you stick to the "how to"

Thanks, will do. Im just experimenting for now so ill do some more research and take it slow. So far from what ive read, people have had success with T5s, but i cant find too much info on optimal colour temperature ranges, wattage needed  etc.. From what i understand, the cool whites and daylights would be great for veg.. and that id just need more bulbs with a lower temperature for flowering..apparently warm white does the job, but the yields are not maximised. im guessing it should be decent if supplemented with my LED. Besdies my 75w LED, i coul probably throw another 30+W of LED power into the mix

Edited by zolrooker

2 hours ago, zolrooker said:

Probably massive overkill then for veg! Im only planning between 2-4 plants tbh.. dont want to try and grow too much while im still learning. what exactly are the requirements for the flowering stage? And why wouldnt these T5s work, along with a 75W LED?

Cool, 3 plants is probably good then.The light intensity from floros just dont give buds enough light to develop size and density.You can grow with any light by the buds will be light and fluffy.We all started with some form of cfl/floros and then moved on when we saw the benefits of other lights.This is a good starting setup to gain knowledge, then you can expand your equipment when you have experience etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Batista said:

Those intakes and exhaust look about level with one another, its hard to tell, but I always extract out the top and my intake is at the bottom opposite corner to maximise the airflow over the plant 🙂

Those 2 fans were both intakes, there was a bigger fan on top to exhaust. My problem was i had way too much foliage and no fan inside moving air over the leaves.

2 minutes ago, Bakstein420 said:

Those 2 fans were both intakes, there was a bigger fan on top to exhaust. My problem was i had way too much foliage and no fan inside moving air over the leaves.

Ah I see.I personally only use exhaust fans and never active intake.But I use one meant for a bathroom so its very powerful lol

• Agree 1

If I grow in greenhouse, is it going to go straight into flower? What does this mean for my yield?

Maybe I could grow indoors and then move to greenhouse when I want it to flower? 

8 hours ago, Batista said:

1 hour ago, zolrooker said:

If I grow in greenhouse, is it going to go straight into flower? What does this mean for my yield?

Maybe I could grow indoors and then move to greenhouse when I want it to flower? 

Shortest day outside is 21st June, days are getting longer then onwards. I wouldn't unless I was covering each and every night /morning to force flowering. 

And yes, if you grow straight outside now, it will flower, then start to veg again, which you really dont want. 

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

Shortest day outside is 21st June, days are getting longer then onwards. I wouldn't unless I was covering each and every night /morning to force flowering. 

And yes, if you grow straight outside now, it will flower, then start to veg again, which you really dont want. 

So basically, if I'm not gonna be covering it manually everyday, my only options are:

Indoor grow 

Let it veg outdoors until spring 

Are these above assumptions correct?