Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

Do 4 sides then, and just thought now you could also get Sajax/polystyrene sheets, that stuff they use to hold stuff hot or cold and make cooler boxes out of it.

Though after some thought, have to really agree with the uncompressed material, if you go that route, as it will absorb the sound better that way, like eating it as it spreads through the fibers.

2 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Do 4 sides then, and just thought now you could also get Sajax/polystyrene sheets, that stuff they use to hold stuff hot or cold and make cooler boxes out of it.

Though after some thought, have to really agree with the uncompressed material, if you go that route, as it will absorb the sound better that way, like eating it as it spreads through the fibers.

So you'd agree with the 50mm option? 

8 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

So you'd agree with the 50mm option? 

Yip, if my choice yes. You must be happy though.

I wouldn't soundproof the room, unless that is for temps only and or you are mounting the extraction fan inside that grow area, it wouldn't really be needed. More so for the fans I'd say...

I have 3 fans running and one extraction fan, when that room's door is closed, nobody in my house would know a thing. When I go sleep though and dead of night, i can hear the oscillating noise, clicking. No air noise or extraction noise. I also dont have insulation and I never go over 28deg or below 18deg at extremes.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

What's a good glue I can use to stick this insulation to metal or wood? Or maybe a strong 2 way tape? 

Glue normally means for good, tape would be removable I'd guess if you ever need to remove or change setup. 

You said metal box, what about magnetic tacs, flat head drawing pins for the wood?

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Glue normally means for good, tape would be removable I'd guess if you ever need to remove or change setup. 

You said metal box, what about magnetic tacs?

Yep, good point you make about the permanency. If I could find strong enough magnets then why not? You know of any that won't break the bank?  I think the 50mm foam would be too thick though won't it? 

Edited by zolrooker

1 minute ago, zolrooker said:

Yep, good point you make about the permanency. If I could find strong enough magnets then why not? You know of any that won't break the bank? 

If you attach something on the ends or corners, that sticks through the insulation and you cant fasten or put a cap on, or just glue / double sided tape the ends or corners only, then it's not all over, should hold. Magnetic would be good if you had them on hand, but dont go out and pay for them, was just a thought really.

• Like 1

Just now, StickyD420 said:

If you attach something on the ends or corners, that sticks through the insulation and you cant fasten or put a cap on, or just glue / double sided tape the ends or corners only, then it's not all over, should hold. Magnetic would be good if you had them on hand, but dont go out and pay for them, was just a thought really.

Think I have some strong 2 way tape lying around somewhere.. Should sbe fine I guess 

• Agree 1

Just now, zolrooker said:

Think I have some strong 2 way tape lying around somewhere.. Should sbe fine I guess 

I get what you going for, and I like it honestly. 

Give me second though...

You might be pleased without the soundproof material, so maybe first set it all up, and take it from there, and you could end up thanking me for not spending that money and time. You can always purchase and put it on afterwards, without a hassle. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

I get what you going for, and I like it honestly. 

Give me second though...

You might be pleased without the soundproof material, so maybe first set it all up, and take it from there, and you could end up thanking me for not spending that money and time. You can always purchase and put it on afterwards, without a hassle. 

Yep will think about it and decide.. 😁

I went the poly way 1st, expensive lesson to learn that poly enhanced the sound because it's so light it actually vibrates, it's like a big subhoover.
The best for sound is weight and poly is to light.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GGG said:

I went the poly way 1st, expensive lesson to learn that poly enhanced the sound because it's so light it actually vibrates, it's like a big subhoover.
The best for sound is weight and poly is to light.

Makes total sense and thank you for the forewarn.

Probably works better for insulation and not soundproofing. 

Have you also insulated your whole room or tent?

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

Makes total sense and thank you for the forewarn.
Probably works better for insulation and not soundproofing. 
Have you also insulated your whole room or tent?
All depends on where the grow room is, outside or inside and the temps around that area. A insulated room only holds the temps it was GIVEN for longer

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, zolrooker said:

Hi guys, thinking about starting a small, discreet 1m2 grow area in my outbuilding.

What i have so far:

- 10 x 7 liter pots

- Professional potting mix

- 200w LED grow light (Edit: This is a 75W and NOT 200W)

- some pc fans for ventilation (I might not use these and just leave one side of my "grow area" open)

- HO T5 lighting tubes that i used to use in my fish tank.. might add a few globes that are closer to the daylight temperature range.

- 2 x 1m2 reflectors

- I plan on giving the sea of green method a go.

Some questions i have:

- What height should i make my grow area? I am considering growing sativa and indica varieties. Would a grow area that is 60cm in height be too low? What should i aim for with 7 liter pots?

-If the height of my grow area is taller than 60cm, Will the 2 reflectors be sufficient or would i need to get reflectors for all sides? Perhaps just add white panels to the sides that dont have reflectors

- Any other advice you can give a new grower? 🙂

Sounds good!

looking forward to the progress!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Prom said:

How many pieces is this though? lol is it 6, or 12 or 24 ? Seems to me like it is 12 pieces.  I did see this yesterday but i think its gonna be too pricey tbh. 15 pieces wont even cover one 1800 x 900 panel if im not mistaken

1 hour ago, christopherandrews said:

Sounds good!

looking forward to the progress!

Have changed alot of things since then though..

3 x 10l fabric pots
Freedom farms potting mix
150w LED grow ight
2 Extractor fans, 1 in and 1 out
Oscillating fan heater
Oscillating Fan
Insulation for sound
Space blankets for reflection
temp controller
etc

wanted to spend 1k, but looks like its gonna be like 6-7k lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GGG said:

All depends on where the grow room is, outside or inside and the temps around that area. A insulated room only holds the temps it was GIVEN for longer

Exactly and agree with you, but do you see his grow room making enough sound that it would need to add deadening. Wouldn't the extraction fan be the most noise only?

• Agree 1

Exactly and agree with you, but do you see his grow room making enough sound that it would need to add deadening. Wouldn't the extraction fan be the most noise only?
Jip I hear you, all depends on if he going to add on things as he goes.... Because we do ....and that was where I wasted money. But you right, you can also just use that green stuff and wrap it around the extraction fan also, a good portion of the sound comes where the wind blows out also. During the day it's usually fine but late at night when all neighbour hood sounds quite down the little sounds are louder soooo Al depends how close the neighbours are

• Like 1

Quick question.. where should circulation fans and fan heater be placed? At the bottom ,  in line with pots and angled upwards? If so, would they stay at the bottom as the plant grows taller etc. or move as time goes?

Edited by zolrooker

Both your questions are difficult and require different angles or processes to solve, and can be done a number of ways, that is personal choice. 

Normally, fans blowing left to right, angle up, or down, which works best for you. Some place a second fan just kicking air up, getting that CO2 circulating. 

Battery backup, you never want the air to stand, ever. You can get away with no lights on for a while in flowering, bit in veg, you dont want the lights out or it will get to much flowering hormones and go haywire. So adding a emergency light, with backup battery, that comes on when lights out, you'll be okay, they R300

• Like 1

I guess ill start with one fan at the bottom and add a second if needed..

5 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Any dead air is bad, make sure when your system is running, you can see all leaves move or rustle in one revolution of the oscillating fan, if you see leaves not moving, you going to have WPM known as white powder mildew, and mold. Very very very bad😶

Edited by zolrooker