Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

Correct, indoor you control the light 100% so the best for total control. 

If you plant outside, it will flower, then go back to veg in a few weeks time and you'll be stuffed.

If you veg them indoors, you can put them out in a about 3 months time, they will stay in veg.

You could veg indoors on 20 hour light on, or more, then place them outside and they should be okay for flowering through the term, done this before too.

Or you control the light outside and have it manually covered each night or morning. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 1:14 PM, StickyD420 said:

Shame man, this poster is out here asking questions about growing and needs advice, and the guys are up in here fighting.

I understand rules are rules, there are always 3 sides to a story, nobody is 100% correct, we make mistakes and we move forward. 

Make peace, not war.

Woah, what did I miss here>?I was helping him out.

• Agree 1

Just an update on what im planning so far. (Already ordered most of the stuff, if i didnt have it in possession already..)
    1800x500x900 grow space
    80-150w LED grow light (Dimmable)
    Space blankets
    Hygrometer
    STC-1000 Temperature controller + Fan Heater
    2 x  90 m3/h extractor fans (1 in + 1 out) with acoustic ducting
    3 x fabric pots (10 liter)
    Freedom Farms Premium Soil
    PH testing kit
    Timers
    Seeds:
       1 x Amnesia Haze
       1 x Master Kush Grand
       1 x CBD Good Wild Shark
    Blackstrap molasses

Does this look like all i need? Anything else?

Edited by zolrooker

oscillating fan inside the tent. Fertilizer kit. PPM meter to test your water or get it tested. If you use tap water and is rather rich with minerals, might be to much. If you use rain water, forget PPM and Ph kit. 

pocket microscope or 40x magnifier or good digital marco camera. Pair of small scissors (thin blade) and a larger one. un-powdered  medical gloves. Vacuum sealable glass jars. Boveda moisture regulating bags.

And rather sure I forgot something 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prom said:

oscillating fan inside the tent. Fertilizer kit. PPM meter to test your water or get it tested. If you use tap water and is rather rich with minerals, might be to much. If you use rain water, forget PPM and Ph kit. 

pocket microscope or 40x magnifier or good digital marco camera. Pair of small scissors (thin blade) and a larger one. un-powdered  medical gloves. Vacuum sealable glass jars. Boveda moisture regulating bags.

And rather sure I forgot something 😁

Was thinking of getting just the fan heater for now and get some more cool fans when it gets warmer. Should i get a cool fan now as well ?

PPM meter to measure TDS? I do have an RO/DI filter i can use for water to strip out heavy metals etc

Have a super macro mode on my smartphone camera (Why would i need this btw?)

Would still need to get the jars, bags etc, but i guess id only need those later on?

Edited by zolrooker

Rule of thumb is that your tent should renew the air 5 times a minute. But the inside circulation is same if not more important. If you do not disperse the fresh air a simple flow will occur from entrance to exit and your plants will not get the needed CO2 to grow. Second the movement strengthens the plants structure to hold the buds. Cook up a storm inside.. to much is when leaves fly ^^ to little is when plants hardly move.

PPM measures the particles in water. Some mineral rich areas can reach easy 800PPM and that leaves you no big range for fertilizer. To many particles in the liquid "clog" the plants "highways" up. Filtered should work but then you might want to measure the Ph. Best is rain water.. get a tank ^^

You need to have a closer look at the plant when you get to harvest time. Without you just guess.. and most beginners harvest waaaaaaaaay to early.

Yes, easy to get it later.. get the harvesting gear when you make it to flowering stage.  

Edited by Prom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Prom said:

Rule of thumb is that your tent should renew the air 5 times a minute. But the inside circulation is same if not more important. If you do not disperse the fresh air a simple flow will occur from entrance to exit and your plants will not get the needed CO2 to grow. Second the movement strengthens the plants structure to hold the buds. Cook up a storm inside.. to much is when leaves fly ^^ to little is when plants hardly move.

PPM measures the particles in water. Some mineral rich areas can reach easy 800PPM and that leaves you no big range for fertilizer. To many particles in the liquid "clog" the plants "highways" up. Filtered should work but then you might want to measure the Ph. Best is rain water.. get a tank ^^

You need to have a closer look at the plant when you get to harvest time. Without you just guess.. and most beginners harvest waaaaaaaaay to early.

Yes, easy to get it later.. get the harvesting gear when you make it to flowering stage.  

Thanks,think I'll get another fan then.. And ive got some drums I can use to catch rainwater.. when it rains. Need to find my tds meter.. The ro filter I have is meant to give zero ppm tds readings, so I'm guessing that's not gonna work.. 

5 hours ago, zolrooker said:

Just an update on what im planning so far. (Already ordered most of the stuff, if i didnt have it in possession already..)
    1800x500x900 grow space
    80-150w LED grow light (Dimmable)
    Space blankets
    Hygrometer
    STC-1000 Temperature controller + Fan Heater
    2 x  90 m3/h extractor fans (1 in + 1 out) with acoustic ducting
    3 x fabric pots (10 liter)
    Freedom Farms Premium Soil
    PH testing kit
    Timers
    Seeds:
       1 x Amnesia Haze
       1 x Master Kush Grand
       1 x CBD Good Wild Shark
    Blackstrap molasses

Does this look like all i need? Anything else?

Hey Zol,

Do you plan on using any other nutrients besides the molasses?

With your light, you wont need to cool, only move air around, and well as Prom mentioned. 

I'd always pH, even tank water, as I've honestly seen 7.1pH rain water caught in a tank before, so rather safe than sorry.

RO water is perfect if you cant use rain, as then you basically telling the water what you want in there from the start, and not working on a guess. 

Peace🖖

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Thanks,think I'll get another fan then.. And ive got some drums I can use to catch rainwater.. when it rains. Need to find my tds meter.. The ro filter I have is meant to give zero ppm tds readings, so I'm guessing that's not gonna work.. 

RO water starts at 0ppm, so you add nutrients and minerals as you like, you become the scientist...lol.

Parts Per Million, you are adding those parts, as you see fit.

Then you take the ppm up till a level the plants are happy at.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Hey Zol,

Do you plan on using any other nutrients besides the molasses?

With your light, you wont need to cool, only move air around, and well as Prom mentioned. 

I'd always pH, even tank water, as I've honestly seen 7.1pH rain water caught in a tank before, so rather safe than sorry.

RO water is perfect if you cant use rain, as then you basically telling the water what you want in there from the start, and not working on a guess. 

Peace🖖

Planning on using just the molasses, if it would work 

1 minute ago, zolrooker said:

Planning on using just the molasses, if it would work 

I've never used FF soil before, but I'd say it should get you there, a rule to remember is once you start using nutrients, you'll need to up it and keep using it, from my experience and research. You can add that as you get to week 3 of flower or even sooner, up to you. Try find something with P and K in natural form for flowering, but not needed really. 

Get the hang of growing and this plant, and then start mixing in nutrients and see, you might not like using bottled or powdered nutrients. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

I've never used FF soil before, but I'd say it should get you there, a rule to remember is once you start using nutrients, you'll need to up it and keep using it, from my experience and research. You can add that as you get to week 3 of flower or even sooner, up to you. Try find something with P and K in natural form for flowering, but not needed really. 

Get the hang of growing and this plant, and then start mixing in nutrients and see, you might not like using bottled or powdered nutrients. 

Lots to learn. Just hope it's smooth sailing without too many issues lol 

4 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Lots to learn. Just hope it's smooth sailing without too many issues lol 

You need to first find what medium works for you best, or you feel will be easier or better suited to your style. I think soil is a good choice.

You can grow in that soil in 2 ways, adding nutrients that the plant can use straight up at the roots, or you can add Microbes in the start, and they will begin consuming the rock dust and minerals that are in that FF soil, building on it and making it healthier over time, and the Microbes will feed the roots instead, and you'll feed the Microbes with the molasses. 

3 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Perfect, I have 3 of them, you dont want any parts having stagnant air pockets. 

1 minute ago, StickyD420 said:

You need to first find what medium works for you best, or you feel will be easier or better suited to your style. I think soil is a good choice.

You can grow in that soil in 2 ways, adding nutrients that the plant can use straight up at the roots, or you can add Microbes in the start, and they will begin consuming the rock dust and minerals that are in that FF soil, building on it and making it healthier over time, and the Microbes will feed the roots instead, and you'll feed the Microbes with the molasses. 

Perfect, I have 3 of them, you dont want any parts having stagnant air pockets. 

Any microbes you recommend adding? 

One fan should be enough for me though? 1800x500x900 space 

6 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Any microbes you recommend adding? 

One fan should be enough for me though? 1800x500x900 space 

1x fan, with air in and air out, 100 perfect. You could add one more trowing air up or down, but not very critical now. Keep an eye on your RH and go from there.

Microbes, hmmm, my personal choice, is Biodyne Environoc 401 sold over counter, but try find the Biodyne liquid gold if you can.

There are others too, Kelpak is good, they actually rave about our brand overseas, as it is a cleaner and has more active and living Microbes than others. Worm compost and teas, and there is worm compost in the FF soil.

Check what is best and local to/for you.😉

Oh and adding any powder nutrients or anything not natural, will effect and harm or kill off the Microbes. 

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

1x fan, with air in and air out, 100 perfect. You could add one more trowing air up or down, but not very critical now. Keep an eye on your RH and go from there.

Microbes, hmmm, my personal choice, is Biodyne Environoc 401 sold over counter, but try find the Biodyne liquid gold if you can.

There are others too, Kelpak is good, they actually rave about our brand overseas, as it is a cleaner and has more active and living Microbes than others. Worm compost and teas, and there is worm compost in the FF soil.

Check what is best and local to/for you.😉

Thanks bud. Not really too clued up with this stuff, but will go check out my local garden store and see what they have. Btw I've been making my own compost in my garden recently too..

Thanks bud. Not really too clued up with this stuff, but will go check out my local garden store and see what they have. Btw I've been making my own compost in my garden recently too..

My pleasure brother, 

I'm happy to help, and you can hit me up about anything you need and I'll do my utmost best to answer you or advise the best I can.

• Like 1

What would be the best way to soundproof my grow area? 

It's basically a steel cabinet with wooden doors.

Would soundproofing foam work? Or does anyone have any recommendations? 

Well, are you soundproofing for your own sanity, or just to stop unwanted suspicions?

It would definitely help to insulate the system, if between 2 layers or board walls. If not for the actual sound deadening. 

6 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Well, are you soundproofing for your own sanity, or just to stop unwanted suspicions?

It would definitely help to insulate the system, if between 2 layers or board walls. If not for the actual sound deadening. 

More for  unwanted suspicions, bit for my own sanity as well haha. What would you recommend I used for insulation?