Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

15 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

More for  unwanted suspicions, bit for my own sanity as well haha. What would you recommend I used for insulation? 

Haha, I cant handle unwanted sounds, small annoying things...

You can go with the expanded foam, hard if you haven't got a backing and only one sided. 

You can go for underfelt carpet, or that type of mixed material recycled blanket?

Just check what's easy to get at the best price point

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

You can go with the expanded foam, hard if you haven't got a backing and only one sided. 

You can go for underfelt carpet, or that type of mixed material recycled blanket?

Thanks! Will have a look around 

Most grow rooms are not soundproofed, and your extraction fan and inlet fan, I take it would be outside your grow space, no?

If that is the case, you dont need to soundproof the grow area, the lights and plants are not going to make any sound, nor your 30cm fan. You'll want to silence the extract fan and inlet fan only. My understanding. 

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

That can work, though first check my reply and what your answer to that post is will determine the outcome. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Brother, let's first distinguish what your area is, tent, boards or sectional area in a room?

Most grow rooms are not soundproofed, and your extraction fan and inlet fan, I take it would be outside your grow space, no?

If that is the case, you dont need to soundproof the grow area, the lights and plants are not going to make any sound, nor your 30cm fan. You'll want to silence the extract fan and inlet fan only. My understanding. 

1800x500x900 steel cabinet with wooden doors. I can put extractor fan inside with acoustic ducting leading out. Inlet  fan will have to be outside I'm guessing.. 

Actually, would it work, if I mounted the inlet right on top of the cabinet, and then had acoustic ducting redispersing the air at the bottom?Don't wanna put the inlet fan at the bottom because the area is in the corner of my garage and very dusty etc 

Edited by zolrooker

9 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Actually, would it work, if I mounted the inlet right on top of the cabinet, and then had acoustic ducting redispersing the air at the bottom. Don't wanna put the inlet fan at the bottom because the area is in the corner of my garage and very dusty etc 

Ideally, cold air in at bottom and hot out on top, as hot air rises. 

Plus, CO2 is heavier than O2, and by thus removing air from the top, you removing the O2 and keeping the CO2 inside. 

What you can do, is mount it up, off the floor and out of the dust, and pipe it down into the room, or better, filter the air in as most would advise you and for more cleaner air and plant growth. You can get that later as your on a budget as most of us are.

Peace

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

1800x500x900 steel cabinet with wooden doors. I can put extractor fan inside with acoustic ducting leading out. Inlet  fan will have to be outside I'm guessing.. 

Your ducting will fit on the ends of the fan, so wont make the fan noise go away, that's if your fans even make a noise.

What I've seen, is a soundproof box made that houses the fans, both, and the ducting directions from there to and from area.

I think you have the general idea and direction, with a good understanding now, and I know you'll do just fine.

• Like 1

Hi Zol, I have tried various ways and cheapest best way is that pink( green these days) insulation that they put in the roofs, it's about R500 for 5-10m depending on 40 or 100mm, and if you combine it with pegboard even better. It costs 25% of the price of the acoustic foams you get. The 100mm works best. I even went to a acoustic ingeneer and he agreed. Only other thing that work great is weight, like a brick wall. Hope my 2cents helps

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GGG said:

Hi Zol, I have tried various ways and cheapest best way is that pink( green these days) insulation that they put in the roofs, it's about R500 for 5-10m depending on 40 or 100mm, and if you combine it with pegboard even better. It costs 25% of the price of the acoustic foams you get. The 100mm works best. I even went to a acoustic ingeneer and he agreed. Only other thing that work great is weight, like a brick wall. Hope my 2cents helps

Thanks bud, will go check if I can find some this week. 

2 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

Thanks! Will have a look around 

1 hour ago, GGG said:

Just thinking now that if I use the 100mm, then I'm making my grow space really cramped as one of the sides is already just under 500mm without any insulation. Would the 50mm still work to a degree? 

Maybe double up on the 50mm on selected sides and keep it 50mm on the cramped length? 

Edited by zolrooker

Just now, zolrooker said:

Just thinking now that if I use the 100mm, then I'm making my grow space really cramped as one of the sides is already just under 500mm without any insulation. Would the 50mm still work to a degree? 

That's a good point you make, you could compress that material and make it thinner, but not sure if it would suffice the same sound deadening measures as before.

It should still work according to me.

• Like 1

50mm also works depends on the loudness of the sound, you can try it on the outside 1st and go from there, the other benefit is it helps with insulating temps also

• Like 1

That's a good point you make, you could compress that material and make it thinner, but not sure if it would suffice the same sound deadening measures as before.
It should still work according to me.
The less it is compressed the better, the thin fibres takes the sound waves and converts it to heat basically if I understand it correctly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GGG said:

The less it is compressed the better, the thin fibres takes the sound waves and converts it to heat basically if I understand it correctly

Then I am corrected, that makes sense and can see how it would work...

No way to do this insulation on the outside of the case, box? @zolrooker

Would that make more sense if it was for insulation and less for sound deadening? I dont know...

Edited by StickyD420

2 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Then I am corrected, that makes sense and can see how it would work...

No way to do this insulation on the outside of the case, box? @zolrooker

Would that make more sense if it was for insulation and less for sound deadening? I dont know...

I could do the insulation on the outside for 4 of the 6 sides i guess..