Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

Hi guys, thinking about starting a small, discreet 1m2 grow area in my outbuilding.

What i have so far:

- 10 x 7 liter pots

- Professional potting mix

- 200w LED grow light (Edit: This is a 75W and NOT 200W)

- some pc fans for ventilation (I might not use these and just leave one side of my "grow area" open)

- HO T5 lighting tubes that i used to use in my fish tank.. might add a few globes that are closer to the daylight temperature range.

- 2 x 1m2 reflectors

- I plan on giving the sea of green method a go.

Some questions i have:

- What height should i make my grow area? I am considering growing sativa and indica varieties. Would a grow area that is 60cm in height be too low? What should i aim for with 7 liter pots?

-If the height of my grow area is taller than 60cm, Will the 2 reflectors be sufficient or would i need to get reflectors for all sides? Perhaps just add white panels to the sides that dont have reflectors

- Any other advice you can give a new grower? 🙂

Edited by zolrooker
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, CreX said:

Good seeds

And read everything you can about growing techniques and best practice methods. 

A good grower who knows how to apply cultivation tools will grow better produce with limited resources, than a grower with more resources but a lack of knowledge 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CreX said:

What strains have you got to try, or what are you thinking about

So far ive got:

Durban Poison

Lemon Haze

Green Crack

Cali Kush

Painkiller

Problem is that the seeds are just seeds that ive collected from the weed ive bought over the past couple of months.. so i dont know whether the plant is going to be male or female etc... Was thinking about just looking out for male plants and discarding those as i go..

• Like 1

Growing outdoors might be an option as i have a greenhouse structure built over my pool, but the plants wont be able to grow too large as height is limited on the edges where the pots would sit. I could grow it in the greenhouse until id have to move outside (Until its too large or average temperatures have improved) . Only problem is that my only discreet outdoor spot only gets a few hours of direct sunlight per day... plus the long waiting times etc. make me want to opt for an indoor grow..

Just doubting now whether i have adequate lighting for an indoor grow...

Edited by zolrooker

22 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

So far ive got:

Durban Poison

Lemon Haze

Green Crack

Cali Kush

Painkiller

Problem is that the seeds are just seeds that ive collected from the weed ive bought over the past couple of months.. so i dont know whether the plant is going to be male or female etc... Was thinking about just looking out for male plants and discarding those as i go..

A couple of those are tall growing strains bro, so as crex said, read up and learn. If height is an issue you will need to learn to train your ladies to make the most of the space available.

You can try mess around with bag seed, but I wouldn't recommend it. Rather get some good beans or a clone even.

Growing outdoors is fine, supplement light to keep her in veg, then find spot that has no light pollution during the evening. Move them there when you want them to flower.

Lastly, good soil. I like freedom farms green bag or organic matters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bakstein420 said:

A couple of those are tall growing strains bro, so as crex said, read up and learn. If height is an issue you will need to learn to train your ladies to make the most of the space available.

You can try mess around with bag seed, but I wouldn't recommend it. Rather get some good beans or a clone even.

Growing outdoors is fine, supplement light to keep her in veg, then find spot that has no light pollution during the evening. Move them there when you want them to flower.

Lastly, good soil. I like freedom farms green bag or organic matters.

Interesting idea you gave me about supplemeting with light and then moving when i want it to flower! How strong of a light are we talking?

How much of an issue is odor when growing outdoors? Reason im asking is because the spot im considering is near my neighbours wall, so i dont want to cause them an inconvenience..

And would just a few hours of direct sunlight in the flowering phase do the trick?

Also, what size pots should i be looking to use for outdoor? Could i just use my 7 liter pots and force the plants to flower sooner, so that they dont grow so large?

3 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Regarding force flowering.. Can i just cover up my plants with a tarp or something, a little while before sunset to force flowering?

Once it is in flowering mode, i wouldnt need to control the light anymore right?

If you have the discipline to remove and reapply the tarp at the exact same time then go for it.Im not sure how that will affect the actual buds.You absolutely need to control light if the plant is a photoperiod type otherwise she will revert back to veg.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Batista said:

If you have the discipline to remove and reapply the tarp at the exact same time then go for it.Im not sure how that will affect the actual buds.You absolutely need to control light if the plant is a photoperiod type otherwise she will revert back to veg.

If it's gonna revert back to veg then that's that's out of the question lol. Don't think I'd have the discipline or the desire tbh haha. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zolrooker said:

So far ive got:

Durban Poison

Lemon Haze

Green Crack

Cali Kush

Painkiller

Are you in cape town? Seeds found in bought weed is not really worth growing. As most of these are un known males that pollenate the plants. Rather get some of @Totemic genetics seeds. All the grow off plants last year was 🔥. So you cannot go wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SkunkPharm said:

Are you in cape town? Seeds found in bought weed is not really worth growing. As most of these are un known males that pollenate the plants. Rather get some of @Totemic genetics seeds. All the grow off plants last year was 🔥. So you cannot go wrong. 

In joburg. Thanks, will defo have a look in future 

28 minutes ago, GGG said:

It's just a test run to see what happens if I try multiple small clones in one tote, like SOG , not sure what I will get.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

A tote does not offer much space. I managed to grow 1 auto in a double stack tote but lost all my main colas to bud rot. 

20200113_204711.thumb.jpg.a14e27b98e0581fb0ab2fb5a76f310ff.jpg

A very rewarding experience nonetheless...

• Like 1

I'm now thinking that maybe the easiest thing would be to buy some auto flowering seeds and put it under my greenhouse / pool cover as it gets full sunlight throughout the day. I'd just have to move it as summer approaches. 

Are auto flowering strains easy to grow and will this idea work? 

• Like 1