Training wheels

Nikkel

Question to the gurus...

Should I let them stretch out some more or start topping soon? Grow is slower than many others on here as I move them in and out of garage when there's some nice sun shine in Cape Town like today!

Nutes.... doesn't seem like they need any at the moment as the soil I got in Ottery seems on point, like the lady said.

I'll also need to get going on a plan for bigger growbox as they've outgrown the little lightly salted Lays grow box and Stork seedling pots🤣 I don't feel comfortable moving them permanently to back garden as temps and weather is not leka right now... got some other beans that I'll start late Aug-Sept that will go straight to the garden😉 busy preparing that space bit by bit and started stocking up on soil for it as well.

Here's holding thumbs that they'll be girls!🧐

Edited by Nikkel

Nice, when do you plan on giving nutrients?

Buckets were dry last night and actually mixed a 1.5l batch of Nitrosol this morning and fed them some... weather kuk in Cape Town today so they in box under backyard mechanic light and a w10 LED

a85fba4671da9325676f657d6f9fa988.jpg

Edited by Nikkel
  • Like 1

Buckets were dry last night and actually mixed a 1.5l batch of Nitrosol this morning and fed them some... weather kuk in Cape Town today so they in box under backyard mechanic light and a w10 LED
Ahh ok, was that their first feeding with nutes?

I don't know nitrosol.

You trying to put the plants outside for light?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Ahh ok, was that their first feeding with nutes?

I don't know nitrosol.

You trying to put the plants outside for light?

1st feed yes, although I don't think it was needed as they looked healthy.

My 1st grow hence training wheels title, so learning curve for me... they out in the sun when there is some and under lights on rainy days...unconventional, I know but just fascinated with growing the plant. 

Will go full outdoor in mid to late spring season...this is just a muck about to learn and see what goes

Edited by Nikkel
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, KushNewbie said:

I think it will be better to use bigger pots, esp if you're only going to transplant outdoors in Spring.

Also, isn't a 10W light way too little power light for those beauties?...

Getting new lights soon.. as for bigger pots? not at the moment plus I noticed alot of guys not filling their 20l pots to the top anyway so I'll stick to the 10l buckets for now

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nikkel said:

Getting new lights soon.. as for bigger pots? not at the moment plus I noticed alot of guys not filling their 20l pots to the top anyway so I'll stick to the 10l buckets for now

And here I am thinking of getting 26L pots for my 1st grow 😂 But I've seen people cover an entire square metre with one plant so I'm going to try do that or with max 2 plants so I guess I'll need the bigger pots.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KushNewbie said:

And here I am thinking of getting 26L pots for my 1st grow 😂 But I've seen people cover an entire square metre with one plant so I'm going to try do that or with max 2 plants so I guess I'll need the bigger pots.

It depends how big you want your plants to get to.

I am using 20L (well 22L to be precise) fabric pots as my final pots and I feel they're sufficient.

I do not want to fill my pots to the top otherwise it's difficult to move the pots and to train the plants. Also after watering the soil it settles and the level drops a bit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

It depends how big you want your plants to get to.

I am using 20L (well 22L to be precise) fabric pots as my final pots and I feel they're sufficient.

I do not want to fill my pots to the top otherwise it's difficult to move the pots and to train the plants. Also after watering the soil it settles and the level drops a bit.

Totally dude. How many plants were you planning on growing inside your 1m squared tent again?

25 minutes ago, KushNewbie said:

Totally dude. How many plants were you planning on growing inside your 1m squared tent again?

Mine isn't 1 sqm, it's a bit smaller actually. I will have to see how many females plants I have and then how much space is needed per plant.

I can fit 8x 20L fabric pots inside there, a tight fit with nothing else being able to fit inside then. Not idea.

I do have a scrog net, which I may or may not use. So I guess with time we shall see how many females I am left with and how it turns out once they're inside the flowering tent.

23 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Mine isn't 1 sqm, it's a bit smaller actually. I will have to see how many females plants I have and then how much space is needed per plant.

I can fit 8x 20L fabric pots inside there, a tight fit with nothing else being able to fit inside then. Not idea.

I do have a scrog net, which I may or may not use. So I guess with time we shall see how many females I am left with and how it turns out once they're inside the flowering tent.

Alright sounds good, keep us posted in the grow diaries then 💪

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nikkel said:

This is what 'GroErr' had to say in the RollitUp forum regarding using LED floodlights:

"I've tried some of those flood lights and even had one running in a small breeding tent for a while. I also tried some smaller one's (70w) in veg. They tend to generate more heat than most lights as they're typically passively cooled so not the greatest in small spaces. They will grow plants, just not as efficiently as higher end LED's like COBs or the newer QB diode based panels. I put mine away and grabbed some COBs to replace them, they may get used whenever I need additional heat but not up to par, even for veg."

This is what 'berulakide' had to say on the same thread:

"I actually use a small led floodlight for clones and a little veg. It is a 12v and I run it off a computer power supply and a small comp fan running off it as well. Not optimum but was free and fits in my space. If I was buying I would get something else."

Conclusion: They could work but are definitely not optimum.

Source: https://www.rollitup.org/t/led-floodlight-for-growing.957426/

• Like 1

@Nikkel plants are looking good bro, concerning the lights, inmo the cheapest best option to tie you over for the next month or so is good ol fluorescent tubes, you can pick up a WarmWhite and a CoolWhite, perhaps 30w each, T8's are quite nice. If you could install 4 (2x warmwhite 2x coolwhite) they should style until spring, assuming that the temps inside are warm enough.

Good luck man, above mentioned light setup is also great for seedlings/clones and can be kept nice and close to the canopy. :-greenthumb 

• Like 1

[mention=1950]Nikkel[/mention] plants are looking good bro, concerning the lights, inmo the cheapest best option to tie you over for the next month or so is good ol fluorescent tubes, you can pick up a WarmWhite and a CoolWhite, perhaps 30w each, T8's are quite nice. If you could install 4 (2x warmwhite 2x coolwhite) they should style until spring, assuming that the temps inside are warm enough.

Good luck man, above mentioned light setup is also great for seedlings/clones and can be kept nice and close to the canopy. gthumb.gif.07a9f96f61c0f9b4cbe9a719aa2fb4e0.gif 

Got rid of the conventional old w100 globe and replaced with w15 led globe... Buckets are light so they need some water... Will feed them some nutes as well as its been 9 days... I think.

Will look into the fluorescent lights as I do have small fittings for them to make it work. Thanks for the tip bro!

46c28a805b945f05490bf94024428cd1.jpg

• Like 1

[mention=1950]Nikkel[/mention] plants are looking good bro, concerning the lights, inmo the cheapest best option to tie you over for the next month or so is good ol fluorescent tubes, you can pick up a WarmWhite and a CoolWhite, perhaps 30w each, T8's are quite nice. If you could install 4 (2x warmwhite 2x coolwhite) they should style until spring, assuming that the temps inside are warm enough.
Good luck man, above mentioned light setup is also great for seedlings/clones and can be kept nice and close to the canopy. :-greenthumb 
Your thoughts on those CFLs vs the LED tubes?

Neither are ideal for anything larger than a seedling I'd imagine. The LED's won't require a ballast and starter though.

Expensive LEDs probably the best atm,me personally I prefer mh and hps simply because its proven results....As for cfls,they work,depends on your grow setup.Probably the cheapest option,can buy 85w-120w from china mall for like R85-R120
Yea, if going for CFLs then you'd probably need the larger ones for anything larger than a seedling.

With CFLs, multiple smaller ones are not equivalent to a single larger one.

For larger plants, I agree that QB's or COB are awesome, but the LED tubes aren't too pricey and.

• Like 1

Not sure why the leaves curling down on the one node and feels a bit hard as well... Should I snip it? New growth also coming along quickly. 2nd shorter plant looking very healthy with no issues... Just wish it would come out of the closet and show its sex lol!

The last 5 pics is 2nd plant.

ee8ae68804697e51246d9a4d224777ac.jpg163427bc1ad32a93f37caf5bf8609671.jpg2d3a342965f2e57ba43d5994e0fd6036.jpge52afe18f4648b18e05eb175940ad690.jpg437b047b949edac9fa0f55a96e6728f0.jpgfabdd79eeb1fbc80dbd8ecad8c352c03.jpg3642c5638259a6d4fc474b68b5ffefc7.jpgb8e31d10dcdda07cc3490fa2f5647efd.jpg28e4f468edb86ec0b7f88554df1b7dd4.jpg78a94a19c37da1acce73e50b47d48000.jpgdef852c98084cb587741723b48c343ea.jpgaf048b1a3dcf2b61673fdd7e325d67ed.jpg

• Like 2