PM problems, week 5~ of flower + hermie..

AfrikaansePotkop

So currently doing my personal best grow so far, but seems to be going sideways eish. Rear two plants are Crescendo clones, front two plants are Forbidos clones. Veged for under 2 months, flower week 5~, ~310w LEDs.

I am having persistent issues with powdery mildew throughout the tent and one plant decided to go hermie on me.

I need advice on how to proceed, see attatched some pics I tried to take of the PM I find throghout my plants. Its not like massive spots, but more inside some nugs or leaves that just sit in bad vented areas if i had to guess, but a lot of these small spots, really a lot. My current treatment plan was AQ-SF spray, about 800ml for entire tent mixed with ~40ml AQ-SF, every third night with the fans off. It has been kinda working to keep things dormant, but the small spots are just getting more and more. I was considering spot treating all the PM i can find with a milk/water spray but need some advice on this before I harm my nugs. I have at my disposal AQ-SF, systemic fungicide, milk, maybe oils and other household stuff. Any advice appreciated!

My best guess for my bad ventilation is the extractor fan is not strong enough, I have 2 oscilating fans, one doesnt turn anymore but ay, and a 4-inch RAM inline extractor inside my 1x1m tent. Next investment might be another extractor, so any recommendations around 1-3k would be appreciated!

Then secondly, my closest, right, plant is shooting piesangs. Dont even know why as it was one of my more-healthy plants. My current plan is to just pluck as I find them, but still have about 3+ weeks to go if I had to guess. Any advice on this? maybe harvest this one plant earlier if it gets out of control? thats if the PM doesnt get to it first...

PM 5.jpg

PM 4.jpg

PM 3.jpg

PM 2.jpg

PM 1.jpg

entire tent.jpg

• Like 1

You going to struggle to get rid of that PM. AQ-SF is more to keep things at bay and prevent it. I would recommend Bio Sulphur and using it in veg never had PM issues since I've been using it. Also get yourself a box fan it moves around more air.

What's your current humidity with your extractor? I went from my ram 6inch inline fan to AC Infinity S6 inline fan with controller 67 it allows me to control my conditions abit more than before. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CoolJ said:

You going to struggle to get rid of that PM. AQ-SF is more to keep things at bay and prevent it. I would recommend Bio Sulphur and using it in veg never had PM issues since I've been using it. Also get yourself a box fan it moves around more air.

What's your current humidity with your extractor? I went from my ram 6inch inline fan to AC Infinity S6 inline fan with controller 67 it allows me to control my conditions abit more than before. 

Eish ill look at getting that Bio sulphur next time. Guess for now ima just try to pluck all the pm and see how far i can get this grow. And ok ill look at a box fan 🙂

well below the canopy it sits at 50-70%, peaks after watering. And above canopy never above like 60%, lows of 40%.
The AC infinity looks great just a tad expensive, see some shops are stocking secret jardin inlines, any opinion on those? Or is it more worth it to go for the AC?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AfrikaansePotkop said:

Eish ill look at getting that Bio sulphur next time. Guess for now ima just try to pluck all the pm and see how far i can get this grow. And ok ill look at a box fan 🙂

well below the canopy it sits at 50-70%, peaks after watering. And above canopy never above like 60%, lows of 40%.
The AC infinity looks great just a tad expensive, see some shops are stocking secret jardin inlines, any opinion on those? Or is it more worth it to go for the AC?

I don't think your fan is so much of an issue that you need a new one. I think it's more of the airflow inside the tent. Make sure to do a proper clean with bleach before you start your new grow.

Is your lights on day or night time? 

Haven't seen much of Secret Jardin inline fans but sure its decent I use their tent and love it.

My reason for getting the AC Infinity with the controller 67 is I can set my temp and humidity triggers for the fan to speed up or down and when not triggered I can keep a constant negative pressure in the tent which I couldn't do with my Ram 6inch which only had a constant extract speed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolJ said:

I don't think your fan is so much of an issue that you need a new one. I think it's more of the airflow inside the tent. Make sure to do a proper clean with bleach before you start your new grow.

Is your lights on day or night time? 

Haven't seen much of Secret Jardin inline fans but sure its decent I use their tent and love it.

My reason for getting the AC Infinity with the controller 67 is I can set my temp and humidity triggers for the fan to speed up or down and when not triggered I can keep a constant negative pressure in the tent which I couldn't do with my Ram 6inch which only had a constant extract speed.

Yeah i understand, adding the box fan will then imrpove the overall airflow. And yeah will be cleaning everything.

Its on during the day, 6:30 am -> 6:30 pm. Temps inside tent are around 16 to 23 C

Yeah those features are a good reason to rather go for the ac infinity, will do some more research and consider my options. The secret jardin seems to have knobs to set automatic humidity and temp goals for it to keep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AfrikaansePotkop said:

Yeah i understand, adding the box fan will then imrpove the overall airflow. And yeah will be cleaning everything.

Its on during the day, 6:30 am -> 6:30 pm. Temps inside tent are around 16 to 23 C

Yeah those features are a good reason to rather go for the ac infinity, will do some more research and consider my options. The secret jardin seems to have knobs to set automatic humidity and temp goals for it to keep.

Not sure where in the country you are but for my in the Cape humidity goes up at night when it gets cooler so I run my lights on at night to have it abit warmer and keep humidity in check.

Having a dehumidifier is also a big plus if not must have if you serious about growing.

I would consider investing in one before a new inline fan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolJ said:

Not sure where in the country you are but for my in the Cape humidity goes up at night when it gets cooler so I run my lights on at night to have it abit warmer and keep humidity in check.

Having a dehumidifier is also a big plus if not must have if you serious about growing.

I would consider investing in one before a new inline fan.

Gauteng here, so doesnt really shoot up that much during the night. Run it during the day so I can move them outside during any long-term power outages (a regular, but hasnt during this grow). Ill take a look at a dehumidifier then, any one specific you'd recommend? thanks man for the advice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AfrikaansePotkop said:

Gauteng here, so doesnt really shoot up that much during the night. Run it during the day so I can move them outside during any long-term power outages (a regular, but hasnt during this grow). Ill take a look at a dehumidifier then, any one specific you'd recommend? thanks man for the advice

GMC and Mecca are good brands. I got lucky a few years ago with a 2nd hand one from marketplace with someone moving overseas. 

• Like 2

Personally, I think your best shot is to strip all the leaves with PM to open up and really get airflow around your plants, then mix up 2% hydrogen peroxide and spray down the entire plant, a week later, mix up 1% and spray down the plant again. At least with this you don’t have to worry about getting spray on the budsites. The slightly more extreme option is to mix up potassium bicarbonate and water, kills PM instantly, but can be aggressive on the plant. 

failing that, toss the entire grow, it’s not going to be worth keeping. 

as for cleaning your tent, the thing I found works the best and easiest is a disinfectant fogger can. Turn your extractor off, set it off in the middle of your tent floor and zip it up. After 10min, put your extractor on. Then after that, just wipe the inside of your tent down with a cloth and some water.

Edited by DesignatedDave
  • Like 3

what about post harvest 3 part bud wash? 

that used to be the Go To for pm harvests

loads of people doing it even though they don't have pm just to get rid of dust, hairs and bugs and shit, especially outy growers. but it started off cz of late flower PM. 

the bicarbonate soda kills the pm on contact and if that doesn't work the lime will. 

11 hours ago, DesignatedDave said:

as for cleaning your tent, the thing I found works the best and easiest is a disinfectant fogger can. Turn your extractor off, set it off in the middle of your tent floor and zip it up. After 10min, put your extractor on. Then after that, just wipe the inside of your tent down with a cloth and some water.

those work nice in a big space, maybe it's a less hazardous one you talking bout here, but the ones I am familiar with the fogger itself it says you have to be out the room when it's fogging and when you can only enter again after a couple of hours then you gotta wash or wipe up any residue the fogger makes, cause it's quite harmfull to humans. If you got a small space the fogger gona leave a fine coating of residue that you'll have to wipe off anyway. 

I would rather stick with the old trusty vacuum of all dust in corners, take out and wipe down all equipment then washing everything that can get wet with sudsy warm soap water aswell as the inside of the tent, then spray 3% Peroxide inside the tent making sure you get it everywhere, zip the tent up and give 30min then wipe down so the peroxide doesn't bleach or harm anything, bring in all equipment after cleaned, then do a second peroxide spray, again 30min later wipe down and there you go. A grow room good enough to do an surgery in. 

Usually when I got all my equipment in I put fans on aswell as the inline fan then just spray a strong dose of pyrol, get it in the vents and shit, this I never wipe down. Just incase you missed one last thrip or a spore. 

@AfrikaansePotkop

if you gona strip the plants, or even just work with them, infact the fans already doing it, but you see one first note of pm I usually switch off all fans right away, run to get a plastic bag, bring it to my tents, carefully try to take the plant out the tent and move it as far away from the tent as possible before touching or moving the PM stuff, then I bring the plastic bag as close as I can, trying not to directly touch the PM or else you just spreading it, cut far around it so you know you get it all and not gracing any spores and it goes straight in the plastic bag. all of it and right into the bin. 

If you look at an angle and you lightly touch the pm areas you'll see a smoke-like plume of spores come off into the air, those are basically pm seeds and they're in spore form. if you know about spores you know they can survive thousands of years in unfavourable conditions and once the conditions are met it will take host. Spores can survive underwater, in space oit of earths atmosphere, through fire.... it's really incredible what spores can survive and they travel in the wind or on your clothes or arm hairs.

this is why it's incredibly important to not spread those spores inside your tent, otherwise you slowly digging your grave creating an endless world of headaches for yourself. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

@AfrikaansePotkop

if you gona strip the plants, or even just work with them, infact the fans already doing it, but you see one first note of pm I usually switch off all fans right away, run to get a plastic bag, bring it to my tents, carefully try to take the plant out the tent and move it as far away from the tent as possible before touching or moving the PM stuff, then I bring the plastic bag as close as I can, trying not to directly touch the PM or else you just spreading it, cut far around it so you know you get it all and not gracing any spores and it goes straight in the plastic bag. all of it and right into the bin. 

If you look at an angle and you lightly touch the pm areas you'll see a smoke-like plume of spores come off into the air, those are basically pm seeds and they're in spore form. if you know about spores you know they can survive thousands of years in unfavourable conditions and once the conditions are met it will take host. Spores can survive underwater, in space oit of earths atmosphere, through fire.... it's really incredible what spores can survive and they travel in the wind or on your clothes or arm hairs.

this is why it's incredibly important to not spread those spores inside your tent, otherwise you slowly digging your grave creating an endless world of headaches for yourself. 

Sjoe you gonna make me clean my entire house now xD didnt know spores are that resilient. Gonna do a proper cleaning before my next grow, thanks for all the advice

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

those work nice in a big space, maybe it's a less hazardous one you talking bout here, but the ones I am familiar with the fogger itself it says you have to be out the room when it's fogging and when you can only enter again after a couple of hours then you gotta wash or wipe up any residue the fogger makes, cause it's quite harmfull to humans. If you got a small space the fogger gona leave a fine coating of residue that you'll have to wipe off anyway. 

Its never left residue because it sprays out a mist of disinfectant and doesn't work like a traditional fogger like you thinking of.

I've used the builders one with success, but the two I prefer is this one from Makro - https://www.makro.co.za/health-beauty/bath-shower/shower-gel-hand-wash/liquid-soap/liquid-clinic-room-fogger-aerosol---400ml/p/fc555657-8557-45a4-8774-3352f40bd634?gclid=CjwKCAjwivemBhBhEiwAJxNWN35Oc1GfUytNWZ4Q8EGvfihDwOPTDkRYZoNWSXcro4nsD2KgewOtPhoC7oUQAvD_BwE 

and this one from leeroy merlin - https://leroymerlin.co.za/disinfectant-fogger-infectiguard-400ml-81456871?sfdr_ptcid=32806_617_654584217&sfdr_hash=4d08f89ebf663d59850466db71a0878b&gclid=CjwKCAjwivemBhBhEiwAJxNWN3j6Amfsb72SrmBPwf1BQ9HuhzWUgVeNEdnJSyTkywWHnUK4EGw04RoCMXkQAvD_BwE

After 10 minutes of it going off, you turn your extractor on and after another 5min, you can wipe the walls of the tent (they will have small droplets from the mist spray itself).

I only vacuum the floor of the tent, the rest I just quickly go over with a water and a cloth, never had an issue and its a quick an easy to disinfect literally everything, the grow light, the fans, the extractor, it gets everywhere. 

Edited by DesignatedDave
  • Like 3

On 8/17/2023 at 7:11 PM, AfrikaansePotkop said:

Sjoe you gonna make me clean my entire house now xD didnt know spores are that resilient. Gonna do a proper cleaning before my next grow, thanks for all the advice

hahah no worries brother 🙏 you don't need to worry bout it too much for general living, we need a healthy balance of good and bad microbes in the spaces we live in so we can build a strong immune system. 

• Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 5:55 AM, DesignatedDave said:

Its never left residue because it sprays out a mist of disinfectant and doesn't work like a traditional fogger like you thinking of.

I've used the builders one with success, but the two I prefer is this one from Makro - https://www.makro.co.za/health-beauty/bath-shower/shower-gel-hand-wash/liquid-soap/liquid-clinic-room-fogger-aerosol---400ml/p/fc555657-8557-45a4-8774-3352f40bd634?gclid=CjwKCAjwivemBhBhEiwAJxNWN35Oc1GfUytNWZ4Q8EGvfihDwOPTDkRYZoNWSXcro4nsD2KgewOtPhoC7oUQAvD_BwE 

and this one from leeroy merlin - https://leroymerlin.co.za/disinfectant-fogger-infectiguard-400ml-81456871?sfdr_ptcid=32806_617_654584217&sfdr_hash=4d08f89ebf663d59850466db71a0878b&gclid=CjwKCAjwivemBhBhEiwAJxNWN3j6Amfsb72SrmBPwf1BQ9HuhzWUgVeNEdnJSyTkywWHnUK4EGw04RoCMXkQAvD_BwE

After 10 minutes of it going off, you turn your extractor on and after another 5min, you can wipe the walls of the tent (they will have small droplets from the mist spray itself).

I only vacuum the floor of the tent, the rest I just quickly go over with a water and a cloth, never had an issue and its a quick an easy to disinfect literally everything, the grow light, the fans, the extractor, it gets everywhere. 

Aah I see yeah those should work fine, the ones I have in mind I think are purposed for house fumigation. It kills, well even humans. Need like a 24hr clear out period. 😵 

vacuum is always a must, dust houses a ton of spores and mites and unwanted shit.

I like to wipe down stuff as much as I can, I don't complete a whole cycle in one tent, I have a perpetual system so about every 3 to 4 months I move from one tent to the other, that gives me a gap to clean in the middle of every grow and at the start of every grow. Fans and that stuff need that warm soap water scrub down, can't skip cause of the dust build up and I open the body blow the dust out with a nice cumputor box dust blower and oil the little motor, because of this I am running a 5 year old RAM fan, 3 of them one is only 2 years old now. The tent walls I can sometimes skip, but cause of the small space I got plants up against the walls and stuff so when I do IPM the walls get wet, plus humidity build up + dust creates a thin layer of sticky dust that's another spot for spores to congregate 😅 

• Like 2

PM spores are 2 micron in size... you need a very sophisticated filter system with gates for doors and windows to keep the room spore free... you can't do that in a house you should air out once a day to prevent mold from forming in the first place. 

Cleaning your house will make your house clean.. but not solve any PM issue on your cannabis plants 😋 The only thing that will keep PM out of a tent is when the tent has the right climate inside.. stay below 50% humidity during flower at all time and you will never see PM in your tent.. veeeeeery simple. OK, the hard part is to keep it below 50% humidity 😂

The tent gets the climate from the room it is standing inside. Keep that room in the right climate range and things turn out as they should. If you can't keep that room in the right climate range.. you will have PM on your plants... hard to avoid.. or get Serenade (or comparable products, they can get used during flower and leave no bad taste on the smoke). 

Edited by Prom
added a ) ^^
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1