The Skunk Yard

THCSA

Had an itch to start documenting, sharing and learning again. So I'm dusting off the rust and getting back in the grow diary saddle. Haven't really done this kinda thing since the weed.co.za and BTL days.

Expect blunt opinions, a bit of pollen chucking and lank dank:)

Am running a small outdoor greenhouse. Shaded sides and greenhouse plastic top around slightly raised organic beds. All plants are started in Freedom Farms Classic. Sprouted in trays, transplanted to 1lt bags then to beds. 
I've always xmas treed outdoor plants but am trying SCROG for the first time. Hoping this will improve quality and consistency. Yield is not a top priority. Would rather have a 3 jars of gas than 1 of jar gas with 5 jars of popcorn.
Clones were were vegged inside for a month+ and then put outside in mid December. Been stretching and are in early flower. First trichomes are around the corner. Clones are Terple, Frosted Apricots, Tart Pops, GG4.
Seeds were planted in mid December. The goal if for them to push veg and flower a bit later than usual. Trying to avoid the late summer rains and bud rot. A pinch more colour from the lower Autumn temps wouldn't hurt. Seedlings are Banizzle, Blue Dreamsicle, Totomi, Purpsicle and Jungle Juice.

First prize is a hip to chest height layer of buds. Maintaining tall plants and broken branches sucks. A lower canopy is gonna do wonders for my back and let me really savor watching the grass grow.

Also doing a seed run. Not gonna claim to be a breeder or anything like that. Simply pollen chucking a dank stud on bunch of my favourite cuts. It's dope to have grown enough cultivars to know what I like and enjoy working with. Refining my preferred genetics and pheno hunting is a new adventure. More on that later.

Here's a video of where things are at today. The little greenhouse of mostly In-House Genetics.

Edited by THCSA
  • Like 9
  • Fire! 2

Nice neat setup, lots of different things going on. Cool to see a video diary 🤘 imma just watch and type comments as I go 😆

I'm keen to see how your Jungle Boys plants come along, especially that Blue Dreamsicle. 

Purpsicle neh? That sounds dangerous. 

Cool to see the Cannaclones coming along well. The clone industry is interesting to me. I wasn't aware GSR were also doing clones. 

I see you do a mix of synthetic and organic nutes, do you separate the two beds or just gooi alas? 

I'm keen to check up on the diary updates my man 👌

• Like 3

2 hours ago, THCSA said:

Had an itch to start documenting, sharing and learning again. So I'm dusting off the rust and getting back in the grow diary saddle. Haven't really done this kinda thing since the weed.co.za and BTL days.

Expect blunt opinions, a bit of pollen chucking and lank dank:)

Am running a small outdoor greenhouse. Shaded sides and greenhouse plastic top around slightly raised organic beds. All plants are started in Freedom Farms Classic. Sprouted in trays, transplanted to 1lt bags then to beds. 
I've always xmas treed outdoor plants but am trying SCROG for the first time. Hoping this will improve quality and consistency. Yield is not a top priority. Would rather have a 3 jars of gas than 1 of jar gas with 5 jars of popcorn.
Clones were were vegged inside for a month+ and then put outside in mid December. Been stretching and are in early flower. First trichomes are around the corner. Clones are Terple, Frosted Apricots, Tart Pops, GG4.
Seeds were planted in mid December. The goal if for them to push veg and flower a bit later than usual. Trying to avoid the late summer rains and bud rot. A pinch more colour from the lower Autumn temps wouldn't hurt. Seedlings are Banizzle, Blue Dreamsicle, Totomi, Purpsicle and Jungle Juice.

First prize is a hip to chest height layer of buds. Maintaining tall plants and broken branches sucks. A lower canopy is gonna do wonders for my back and let me really savor watching the grass grow.

Also doing a seed run. Not gonna claim to be a breeder or anything like that. Simply pollen chucking a dank stud on bunch of my favourite cuts. It's dope to have grown enough cultivars to know what I like and enjoy working with. Refining my preferred genetics and pheno hunting is a new adventure. More on that later.

Here's a video of where things are at today. The little greenhouse of mostly In-House Genetics.

Great diversity of strains you got going there.

If you don't mind me asking where were you able to pick up some Jungle Boys gear? 

Excited to see how this unfolds,  following along. :-greenthumb

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 3:27 PM, Ill_Evan said:

Nice neat setup, lots of different things going on. Cool to see a video diary 🤘 imma just watch and type comments as I go 😆

I'm keen to see how your Jungle Boys plants come along, especially that Blue Dreamsicle. 

Purpsicle neh? That sounds dangerous. 

Cool to see the Cannaclones coming along well. The clone industry is interesting to me. I wasn't aware GSR were also doing clones. 

I see you do a mix of synthetic and organic nutes, do you separate the two beds or just gooi alas? 

I'm keen to check up on the diary updates my man 👌

Yeah, the Blue Dreamsicle is something special. Grew 2 last year and both hit 2m. But the yield is low and the internode spacing is crazy. Only got a couple hundred grams off each. A breeze to trim though.

Reckon the Purpsicle name is cooler than the cultivar. It's mids at most but has that 90s High Times centerfold look. Just needed a kief name for the random purple strain.

Only using organics in the greenhouse. No salts other than some Cal Mag. Enjoying the Terra Aquatica organic range. Also do some teas and FFJ. Got a lekker worm farm and a little tool shed to brew in. Am keen to do salts in the tent soon, but not sure yet.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 5:02 PM, John Stonedwell said:

Great diversity of strains you got going there.

If you don't mind me asking where were you able to pick up some Jungle Boys gear? 

Excited to see how this unfolds,  following along. :-greenthumb

The Dagga Couple brought a few packs back with them after their Jungle Boys tour a couple years ago. Only a handful that were given to a few close friends. I got a branded JB shopping bag but no seeds, which kinda sucked as I was one of the main sponsors and organisers of the D-Day/LUX/Jungle Boys promotion.

Some of the friends bred with the Jungle Boys regular packs by putting the males to some of their best cultivars from other genetics. Males were a Creamsicle #11 and a Banana Punch. Grew a few of the F1s out and was verrrrry impressed. Yield wasn't great but bag appeal and terps were top shelf. Plants were also surprisingly consistent for F1s. So bought a few more of the seeds to breed/pollen chuck with. Busy wrapping up a seed run now. Keen to see what phenos outshine the rest. A few certainly won't be making the cut though. Very expensive chicken feed. 

• Like 3

Just now, THCSA said:

Long branches with lots of tight nugs. No fat colas.

That'd probably be advantages in case it's a bit humid in the mornings when your current season starts going into flower closer to the colder months. Do you have an idea when your Blue Dreamsicle should begin to flower this year?

That's the idea. Am selecting genetics that fit my style and environment. Had to bin a lot of bud last year. Was only the classic heavy yielders that gave grief. Am enjoying the more optimum grow structure of the newer genetics. Lot less waste and issues.
Reckon they will push another couple weeks of veg and start flower in February. Planted much later this year. Rather have a couple smaller plants than xmas trees again.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bay Seeds said:

Cool video, keep them coming. Subscribed🤙 What eating that jungle juice?

Reckon it's little grass hoppers or locusts. They have crazy good camo. Swear that they get greener as the buds do and even get little white trichome like spots.
Not sure how to treat for them though. Only seen a couple.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, donnob said:

Kinda digging this range as well. 1 bottle for veg and 1 for bloom, easy peasy

Yeah, was initially turned off by the price. Was a looooong time biobizz supporter. But did the math and Terra is way stronger. Over did it on the first feed last year, but smooth sailing ever since.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just bent the tent. Up potted and defoliated first.
Gonna veg for a couple weeks, clone and flip to flower.

Bought my Mammoth tent 2nd hand and noticed the rust on bottom polls. Gave them a thorough clean 6 months ago, but reckon it's time to replace after this grow. May take a shot at another cleaning but reseal it as well.

Cultivars are not in order:

• Frosted Apricots - In House Genetics
  • Terple - In-House Genetics
  • Tart Pops - In House Genetics
  • GG4 - GG Strains

Running a 240w Quantum board from Light It Up for veg and Fluence Vypr for flower.
Freedom Farms Classic, Terra Aquatica Pro Organic, Cal Mag, and occasional worm tea or FFJ. Trying floraflex spreader things for the first time. Optimistic. Slows down the waterings/run-off and should help mulch the top too.

Predator mites arrive in a couple weeks.

Get a feeling that the In-House isn't going to yield much. Growing Bannizle and Blue Dreamsicle next. 

IMG_20220122_103421.jpg

IMG_20220122_103433.jpg

• Like 7
  • Fire! 2

Not much to report. Plants are growing well.

Inhouse had some crazzzzzy initial stretch in the greenhouse, but seems to have settled. Could swear they tripled in height from when the clones were put outside a month ago.

Jungle Boy's crosses are loving life. The Creamsicle x Hulkberry is putting on some heavy indica vibes in veg. With absurdly fat leaves. Bugs love them way more then any other plant in the greenhouse though.

Brewing up some FFJ. Banana, sugar and some molasses. Have ordered predator mites.

Greenhouse

Foliar Fed:

• Keplak at 10ml/L as the sun set. Plants appeared greener the next day, but could just be in my head.

Soil fed:

• Flowering- Terra Aquatica Pro Organic Bloom at 1ml/L and Gro at 0.2ml/L. Pinch of cal mag. 
  • Veg - Terra Aquatica Pro Organic Gro at 1ml/L. Pinch of cal mag.
  • General: Diluted worm tea and FFJ in between.

Observations:

• Harvested rain water has a PH of 4. Will need to bump it up when mixing. Sticking to borehole for now. Good PH.
  • Weather has been overcast and a bit humid for a month. Plastic roof for the win.
  • SCROG has been very efficient and simple. But could do half the plants and get the same canopy next time. 
  • Defoliation is key.
  • Last of the males showing nuts.
  • The yellow sticky strips are not gecko friendly:(

Tent

Foliar Fed:

• Keplak at 10ml/L 30 minutes before lights on. Turned off the fans while spraying and then back on when done.

Fed:

• Just water. 

Observations:

• The plants were in 1 lt pots for too long and and got too close to the grow light in veg. Would have been better to repot them at about 50cm tall.
  • Taken a week or so for them to bounce back and get growing again.

Next run in the tent will only be my seeds. Pollen chucked a male from Masonic to the In-House and Jungle Boys crosses. Really enjoy the experience of F1 plants. They just seem so vigorous. Diversity is also cool. The Blue Dreamsicle that I ran was admittedly a bit tall, but finished way sooner that any of the other seeded mothers. Also yielded double the seeds. Very tempted to back cross it.

Picture update incoming.

• Like 4

On 1/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, THCSA said:

Just bent the tent. Up potted and defoliated first.
Gonna veg for a couple weeks, clone and flip to flower.

Bought my Mammoth tent 2nd hand and noticed the rust on bottom polls. Gave them a thorough clean 6 months ago, but reckon it's time to replace after this grow. May take a shot at another cleaning but reseal it as well.

Cultivars are not in order:

• Frosted Apricots - In House Genetics
  • Terple - In-House Genetics
  • Tart Pops - In House Genetics
  • GG4 - GG Strains

Running a 240w Quantum board from Light It Up for veg and Fluence Vypr for flower.
Freedom Farms Classic, Terra Aquatica Pro Organic, Cal Mag, and occasional worm tea or FFJ. Trying floraflex spreader things for the first time. Optimistic. Slows down the waterings/run-off and should help mulch the top too.

Predator mites arrive in a couple weeks.

Get a feeling that the In-House isn't going to yield much. Growing Bannizle and Blue Dreamsicle next. 

IMG_20220122_103421.jpg

IMG_20220122_103433.jpg

Geeperz man I must just scroll sometimes. 🤩 This is a nooooice set up you got there. I want to ask what medium, but im sure you mentioned it in there somehwere. 😆😅 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Geeperz man I must just scroll sometimes. 🤩 This is a nooooice set up you got there. I want to ask what medium, but im sure you mentioned it in there somehwere. 😆😅 

Using Freedom Farms Classic in the tent.
Outside beds are permaculture and I add the old freedom farms from tent to the beds.

• Like 2

Greenhouse:

• Temps have been low 20's and humidity at 90% average. Consistent drizzle, rain or cloud cover
  • Been like this for a few weeks. A few sunny days in between.
  • Pulled a Dauiquiriu lime #1. Signs of mildew and bud rot. Will only plant autos later next season. Reckon Jan/Feb planting is the sweet spot to avoid rain/humidity issues in buds.
  • Offed a couple more grasshoppers by hand.
  • Foliared with Bio Sulphur at sunset. 7ml/L on the autos and 3m/L on the rest of the greenhouse
  • Signs of over nuting on some of the flowering in-house. A few gentle leaf curls. 
  • Fed plain water.

Tent:

• Plants are growing, fed a little bit of plain water.
  • Will clone and flip soon.
  • Temps have been high 20's and 60% humidity.

Seeds:

• Still half a dozen plants to harvest seed from.
  • Humidity is crazy high so plants aren't drying nicely.
  • Easier to wait until buds are bone dry rather than squeeze the seeds out.
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Green House

• Weather has been the same. 
  • Stretch on flowering clones has stopped and they're starting to push flowers.
  • Seed plants have grown like crazy and started pre-flower. 
  • Fed all plain water last week.
  • Fed clones nutes this week: 1ml/L TA Pro Organic Bloom, 0.5ml/L banana FFJ, Cal Mag, splash of worm tea.
  • Fed seed plants: 1ml/L TA Pro Organic Grow, 0.2ml/L TA Pro Organic Bloom, 0.2ml/L banana FFJ, Cal Mag, splash of worm tea.

Tent

• Temps still at around 30. May be worthwhile venting in cooler air.
  • Defoliated.
  • Fed all plain water last week.

Seeds

• Finally all harvested and sorted. Now curing. Germination tests next.
  • While over target, I could of achieved way more with thicker strains. Jungle Boy crosses produced double what the inhouse clones did.
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...