Clone suppliers & the pheno's

PsyCLown

So general consensus is that there are certainly some worthy of keeping but not all are hits - which is understandable.

Everyone is looking for different things in a strain, nobody wants the same as it gets boring.

There is the risk that someone has sprayed / fed the cuttings some serious systemic pesticides to help keep them pest and pathogen free.

Then there is the other side, someone has spent time and money breeding a specific strain to be able to sell those seeds and make money from those seeds. These guys selling clones, they're the ones making money off of it and are in essence potentially taking money away from the breeders.

However it is very convenient for us growers, as we can spend a fraction of the price (average In House Genetics strain is around high R3k / low R4k for a pack of seeds) and then one still needs to do a bit of pheno hunting. Some other breeders like Ethos you generally need a few packs, so while their seed packs are cheaper you typically need to go through more seeds to find a keeper pheno.

When buying cuttings, they are sold at a fraction of the price of a pack of seeds and the pheno hunting has apparently been done already.

Value for money, it is extremely appealing. Instead of dropping R4k to get a single strain, one can spend a lot less or get a looot more for your R4k.

Makes certain strains and cuts accessible to some growers who would otherwise never be able to grow out some of these strains.

It is sort of like piracy, but for strains. This does however make certain strains a lot more common and takes away from them and good phenos being "special". If everyone gets given a Lambo when they turn 18, it is no longer special and doesn't have the same allure.

@Totemic You being a breeder yourself, how do you feel about this?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Since our very successful business went bang with covid my wife and myself decided to try and get in on the emerging market.
I was surprised by the amount of growers out here and the talk over a pint at the bush pub was always the same. Gotta mission for simple things like jiffy plugs.

Bingo. I started keeping my eyes open for bargains and quality products, arrange with suppliers if they would consider reselling prices and passed the deal on.

I've been fortunate to have grown Totemic, Bay Seeds, Daggafontein Genetics and people started asking for clones.
I have given clones away as I received clones for nothing.
When and if I eventually sell clones I would like to have an agreement with the breeder firstly for credit and recognition and secondly to set up a royalty payment of sorts.

I was surprised to see B&B and the likes selling clones. Is it still not illegal to sell plants?
Breeders selling clones well it's theirs to sell.
A seed importer taking a seed and cloning and selling multiple clones with no compensation to the person who sold him the seed just don't sound right.

It's hard work trying to get a foothold in the market but honesty first man.
I would rather you buy a product from me and receive a clone as a thank you. Probably work out cheaper.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, DamDave said:

Is it still not illegal to sell plants?

Well.. it isn't legal but also not illegal 😬

The legal landscape is still pretty much a mess, so officially I wouldn't say it is completely off the board to do, just gotta be cautious with it. 

I wonder how it's going with The Haze Club and whether they ended up restarting operations again 🤔

• Agree 1

If I purchase a plant, any, from a nursery, or any item in life for that matter, once paid for, it becomes your property and item, to do as you please or see fit, clone, sell, break or whatever...

Is that ethical, that's another debate all together. 

Should you reimburse or credit the breeders, that is up to you, and how you want to build a relationship, or not, with that specific breeder, and if they even care at all, I dont know these answers. 

I'd like to credit them for sure myself, and I do that already.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DamDave said:

I've been fortunate to have grown Totemic, Bay Seeds, Daggafontein Genetics and people started asking for clones.
I have given clones away as I received clones for nothing.
When and if I eventually sell clones I would like to have an agreement with the breeder firstly for credit and recognition and secondly to set up a royalty payment of sorts.

This gives me an idea, of what could be achieved. 

Doing what you suggested Dave, and creating a relationship with the local guys, which I'd love to do too, and sell their products, and if a deal could be done, that you sell clones of their strains, then surely this would become very beneficial for both sides, and as you are advertising (in some way) and selling their clones (with discussed royalties), it might be in the breeders best interest to pheno hunt a special cut just for you, as they would be benefiting too.

Just thinking aloud, and better than not getting anything for the clones, or them not being up to par. 

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

@Totemic You being a breeder yourself, how do you feel about this?

Once I've released seeds I have no control over who does what with them, and it doesn't bother me either. If anyone finds a plant from my stable that's worth spreading around then it's goal achieved. Getting good weed to the people. 

• Like 8
  • Fire! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realize this was such a hot topic now. Thanks for starting the conversation. Some good points raised.

Recently, I was seed hunting on our local online banks and surprisingly found some "New" (not sure if this is new for all or just new to me 🤷🏻‍♂️) added clones,  on a trusted local bank's site - GSR seeds.

Like Psyclown mentioned, purchasing a pack of in house easily breaks the bank. So I decided to order a couple of clones from them this week. It takes 1 - 2 weeks to get delivered. 

Never having grown from clone before, Im looking forward to getting my hands on them and sharing the experience in the not so distant future😁

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chtzb4st said:

Didn't realize this was such a hot topic now. Thanks for starting the conversation. Some good points raised.

Recently, I was seed hunting on our local online banks and surprisingly found some "New" (not sure if this is new for all or just new to me 🤷🏻‍♂️) added clones,  on a trusted local bank's site - GSR seeds.

Like Psyclown mentioned, purchasing a pack of in house easily breaks the bank. So I decided to order a couple of clones from them this week. It takes 1 - 2 weeks to get delivered. 

Never having grown from clone before, Im looking forward to getting my hands on them and sharing the experience in the not so distant future😁

Nice, welcome to the forum and good luck! Growing cuttings is very similar to growing from seed, just they're a bit bigger and rooted already.

Let us know how it goes and perhaps start a grow diary once you get your cuttings? 😄 

• Like 1

I've used one of the companies mentioned here. I was fortunate to be gifted some clones from them prior and was happy with the strains so I ordered more this season.

My issue is that we don't know how old the mom was when these clones were taken. I personally only keep a mom around for 2 years because the returns diminish as the plant goes through more and more flowering cycles but maybe that has more to do with the strain then the age, I don't know.

Also I'm not sure how much pheno hunting went into the mom from their side, so yeah one is just relying on the company for this.

There is definitely a market for it because it makes things easier for beginners but sum get past that stage and start their own pheno hunt or breeding projects from the clones.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Nice, welcome to the forum and good luck! Growing cuttings is very similar to growing from seed, just they're a bit bigger and rooted already.

Let us know how it goes and perhaps start a grow diary once you get your cuttings? 😄 

Thanks man!

Sounds almost too good to be true, but cancels out when buying clones coz you're never 100% sure what you're getting. See why I'm into this topic😂

Will let fellow 420 buds know for sure about the experience! 

Might be good for me to do a grow diary, push me to take better care of the ladies. I have been known to be a neglectful dad in the past 😁

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chtzb4st said:

Thanks man!

Sounds almost too good to be true, but cancels out when buying clones coz you're never 100% sure what you're getting. See why I'm into this topic😂

Will let fellow 420 buds know for sure about the experience! 

Might be good for me to do a grow diary, push me to take better care of the ladies. I have been known to be a neglectful dad in the past 😁

You reap what you sow, take care of your ladies and they shall reward you for it!

Start the diary when your plants arrive 😄  :rastabanana

• Like 1
  • Agree 1