App Store Par metres

Stefan

Hi not sure whether this has been posted or if this is the incorrect subtopic to post this question, but has anyone used any phone app par readers? I’ve tried the free ones and can’t get any consistent readings
Welcome to the club.
Stand corrected but you gonna have to spend a penny and invest in the proper equipment. I'm using 2 app's, yep up and down readings. More confusing than helpful.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Yeah definitely more confusing than helpful. Have you tried any paid app? 

Your light sensor APP, will only ever, be...

As good as the phones own sensor, which if you think about it, the whole phone cost includes everything, and the other is mostly a screen, battery, case and that expensive sensor. 

Unfortunately for me too, even with a Samsung Note 8

• Like 1

You better off investing 1-3k on a par meter or the cheaper alternative, a lux meter for around R400

Your phone will never be able to read accuratly the high levels of par/lux admited by grow lights. Even a lux meter won't work if you using burple lights 

It maybe an expensive piece of equipment just to do one job but it will take your grow to the next level as you are providing the best lux/par levels of your leds to every stage of your plants cycle 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 2

Yea, don't pay for any lux app for your phone... Best they can do for you is remove adds haha. 

And it is highly phone dependant. I have had Nokia phones which read to over 1 million lux!!! I still have it... I must just FIS the screen and then I have lifetime GPS and a sick lux sensor again hahaha... 

But Samsung phones... Huawei phones.... If I can get a phone that reads 100k I'll be happy. 

Best I get now is a jumpy reading only up to 65k... 

Oh the sweeter days of yester year 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah at some point I’ll probably have to invest in one was just hoping that the apps could at least give you a guideline that you could work from 😅 haha another piece of equipment has been added to the bottom of my wish list. The list keeps getting longer and longer...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2021 at 4:17 PM, Stefan said:

Hi not sure whether this has been posted or if this is the incorrect subtopic to post this question, but has anyone used any phone app par readers? I’ve tried the free ones and can’t get any consistent readings

Try Tent Buddy.. Gives me a close enough guideline.. Plants below the optimal or avized height does well too so I'm happy.. But I agree with the guys that if you want the correct guide, "pay da money.."🤣👌👍🌱

• Like 1

The reason for your light sensor on your phone, is to blank the screen when you bring the phone to your face, so you dont press buttons with your cheek. 

I seriously doubt that a cell phone company is going to install actual light quality sensing hardware, vs one with more of simple features, being sufficient and smaller (not as high)

You look at the Apogee, check the size of that sensor, big difference. 

Added, the light sensor on the camera side, is probably way better, but that isn't the one that the App you get will use.

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
Added
  • Like 1

You're wasting your time (and possibly money) by trying to use a phone to gauge the output of your grow lights.

Unfortunately you gotta fork out money and get a proper quantum sensor if you want accurate readings. If the readings are not accurate or consistent, then it's really a complete waste of time and you might as well eye ball it and guesstimate as that is what you are doing anyways.

A phone has a sensor which is used mostly to turn the screen off when you put the phone to your ear and to adjust the brightness of the phones screen, it is not designed to be able to accurately measure grow lights - which are generally far bright than the average house light as well.

The sensor being used will vary from phone to phone, some may even have different sensors on the same phone model due to supply issues during manufacturing.

You get some cheaper chinese ones if you do not want to fork out for a nice Apogee, however make sure it is sine corrected at least.

If you are spending a couple thousand on a Quantum Sensor, might as well spend a bit more and get an Apogee... Keep in mind though that there is a difference between their original sensor and the newer, "full spectrum" sensor and some grow lights will require the full spectrum sensor to provide more accurate results due to the wavelength output of the grow lights (over 700nm).

You could get away without the full spectrum one, but just know that the results may not be as accurate but if you want to setup your tent to try get an even output it will likely suffice and save you some money (approx $200).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1