Making more seeds.

SkunkPharm

So genetics have become expensive. I have recently made my first batch of seeds due to a germination issue with one of the batches of seeds I started. Dream Queen from Humboldt Seed Company. I also pollinated a slurricane clone just for fun. Have you guys done this as well? If the phenos was not the best there is out there do you guys think I will find good ones in the seeds I made?

• Like 4

Hell yeahhh....but it can become a deep rabbithole real quick if you arent carefull hahaha.... For the most part I meticulously plan my pollenations and sometimes I look at my plants and I get this idea...like this very fruity White Widow female could do with this Mango Kush male pollen and viola....

Then comes the work, hunting for the best ones for the next gen. Still hunting some crosses from last year and allready have 2x more to explore this winter....

Believe its different for every grower, selection criteria wise.....terpenes, potency, growth structure, bud to leaf ratio, pest/mold resistance to name a few.

If you do the legwork you will find a good pheno and sometimes, just sometimes you find an epic one....

Edited by Bos
  • Like 6

By the end of this year I will have 6 mother plants of 6 different strains I have collected over the years. I don't plan on hoarding any more strains so the obvious next step to me is to start crossing between the strains I have collected 😛 a deep rabbit hole to be had indeed.

• Like 2

Yes. Yes. Yes. This has been part of my whole mission all along. To get more people interested in giving the plant a gap to evolve! 

Straight up...the likelyhood of good progeny from previously known/worked genetics is high. It starts becoming less successful when you start trying to use our land races. 

The thing about breeding, even if only to produce more seeds, is the chance at another generation,and another chance at improvement. 

Cannabis has evolved to such a point that its no longer just about the highest cannabinoid content. The relaxing of laws has changed breeding into a terpene hunt. The louder the better nowadays. In short, there is space for all kinds of cannabis, to suit all kinds of tastes. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Can you elaborate on what you mean by saying "It starts becoming less successful when you start trying to use our land races". I have been growing for 2 years now and I want to start playing around with breeding.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eli.Jah said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by saying "It starts becoming less successful when you start trying to use our land races". I have been growing for 2 years now and I want to start playing around with breeding.

Our local landrace populations are hermie riddled, tall sativas, and not worth breeding with indoors. They don't suit my taste and preferences 

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, SkunkPharm said:

So genetics have become expensive. I have recently made my first batch of seeds due to a germination issue with one of the batches of seeds I started. Dream Queen from Humboldt Seed Company. I also pollinated a slurricane clone just for fun. Have you guys done this as well? If the phenos was not the best there is out there do you guys think I will find good ones in the seeds I made?

Morning. I believe that you will. I've germinated a few of those beans and so far I am happynwith their progress. 

Below the SxDQ and DQ seedlings. Have a thread going on these currently.

20210626_075832.thumb.jpg.aaa352ad57a6696f230554b03d989dd4.jpg

20210626_075839.thumb.jpg.317e86c888341186b6dc711c707c1dcf.jpg

I gifted some to a grower in the northern suburbs and will post on his progress as well..

:-peace

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 6/26/2021 at 7:26 AM, Totemic said:

Our local landrace populations are hermie riddled, tall sativas, and not worth breeding with indoors. They don't suit my taste and preferences 

According to dubi from ACE seeds, landrace genetics often have a lot of hermies. ACE goes through a number of rounds of selection in order to reduce/remove the hermie trait. We could probably do the same with our own landraces if we are motivated enough. And I agree, tall sativas are meant to be grown outdoors 🙂 

Edited by Ill_Evan
Linking