Fact or Fiction

Naughty.Psychonaut

I was in Vietnam too.. weed tastes different... more on that based. Have no scientific prove of anything, I really never bothered to look into it.. just what I experienced on travels and in coffee shops 😬 The topic gave me the idea to look into it and read up. Weather is shit.. fits hehehe

I never had OG Kush.. but.. at least gave us the GSC 😁 and that weed I love! As the Thin Mint was part of Gelato.. I should start to honor Kush a bit more. 😂 In my mind they added it to increase yield.. as all OG Kush derivations seem to yield well. That is was especially tasty.. nobody actually mentioned it to me 😒

The link from where I took the copy paste:

https://khalifagenetics.com/diverse-indian-landraces/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

if I may ask, what makes you believe soooo strong that it couldn't have come from Vietnam, even regarding the fact that they traded in seeds for over 20 years in the 50's to 60's.

Mhhh I think Shiva found pleasure in cannabis and that is why you see some dudes sit happy in the middle of a crowded area and smoke their chillum.. part of their religion.. for mhhh thousands of years now. Cannabis is in most cultures since they started to exist. Charas is part of a very old religion.. not just 50 years of trade ^^ I am rather sure.. the OG Kush genetics come from a trip some dudes did to the region. Is where the kush grows 😁 At one stage I just stay on the simple side.  

• Like 1

they traded seeds, not charas. probably not even bud as much, but more seeds. like the BIG SEEDS TRADE, that went on for centuries and started wars and shit.

recriational cannabis smoke inhalation been happening for many many many, if I remember right, even before seen as holy sacrament and used in religious ways. before then more only textiles, rope and such. there are even prehestoric drawings found that indicates the ritualistic use of a sacred herb as spiritual medicines, a herb that looks suspiciously alot like cannabis, but the oaks didn't have the best abilities to make good art, so it looks kinda like palm leaves might even be extinct species

what I am saying is not that this was the only weed plant that grew in any of those regions, this was likely just the one strain that most people liked. 

there was no way of testing thc and cbd and all the terpenes and all that shit back in those days.

Seems according to phylos genetic mapping, OG Kush is related to Chem91 and two cuts submitted by Robert C. Clarke, who is is a cannabis researcher, called "Ghani" and "Thailand".

Speaking of OG, probably the best weed I ever had was an OG that came into a med club in Orange County that was probably named after the county it came from, like Recetta OG or something.  I could never find any info on it, but the effects were so good.  One hit and before you even exhaled, the full blanket of effects had already hit and transported you to where you want to be, but you just kept smoking because it so good.  It was also just like the first hit every time, tolerance didn't seem to matter.  I smoked that for weeks before it was gone forever, I imagine that was the real deal cut or close to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

they traded seeds, not charas. probably not even bud as much, but more seeds. like the BIG SEEDS TRADE, that went on for centuries and started wars and shit.

recriational cannabis smoke inhalation been happening for many many many, if I remember right, even before seen as holy sacrament and used in religious ways. before then more only textiles, rope and such. there are even prehestoric drawings found that indicates the ritualistic use of a sacred herb as spiritual medicines, a herb that looks suspiciously alot like cannabis, but the oaks didn't have the best abilities to make good art, so it looks kinda like palm leaves might even be extinct species

what I am saying is not that this was the only weed plant that grew in any of those regions, this was likely just the one strain that most people liked. 

there was no way of testing thc and cbd and all the terpenes and all that shit back in those days.

That's the point.. loads of "entertaining" material comes from monasteries. Those bored monks just had to entertain them self.. and you do not really need a laboratory to select good genetics. A person knowing what he/she is doing, can do that... I use a lab, as I am not one of those ^^ I just want to be sure that my 6 months efforts are not going to waste because of my incompetent taste buds. If the lab and the testing group comes to the same results.. I might skip the lab for the next ones.. just want to see how wrong I am.

A proper pheno hunt you also should do with regular seeds.. not with feminized 🤔😂 So those monks had centuries to select.. imagine their genetics in those mountains.

So trading a seed.. yeah.. very stable genetics, you get a good shot.. I still would prefer a cutting from the plant I fell in love with, then seeds she produced. Is like humping Kim Kardashian and hoping you get a copy of her ^^ not happening (both ways.. she will not let you hop on.. and genetics wise hehehe).

So the main question at the end is... does OG Kush actually comes from a Hindu Kush Parent? .. or the guys just had a brain fart naming it like that? Like Nirvana calls their Blueberry Cheese.. Blue Cheese. 😬 Blue Cheese has NOTHING to do with blueberries 😂 Can name you a few delicious French Blue Cheeses and none has the slightest hint of blueberries what so ever hehehe 

Edited by Prom
Kim K () addon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Geez, this thread guys.

@DamDave I started a grow diary a while back where I used some STS (Silver Thiosulfate Solution) - a combination of Silver Nitrate and Sodium Thiosulfate. It works really well and is easy to use. As Prom said, once you spray some on the plant, you gotta toss the plant and cannot consume anything from the plant.

OG and it's meaning... Well we still see it now a days I feel, people calling whatever bud they have a specific strain as it sells and it is what people want.

People buying a Levi shirt for a couple hundred bucks compared to a cheaper one from Woolies which does not have a brand name on it. Brands sell, the fact we see soo many BMW 116i and 118i is further proof of this. Kak cars and terrible engines, but they are popular as it is a BMW and more affordable compared to some of the better BMW's which have better engines.

The name became popular, make up some BS and call it whatever and if it catches on good for you.

Your strain, whatever it is, is now in demand as you are referring to it as a more popular strain. Perhaps this played a role in the name and the confusion?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

What the thread actually shows.. we need a naming convention for weed.. right now is just El Dorado out there. 

The more you think into.. the more I believe OG is simply "Original".. as not that many strains can be OG. Or ^^ my Gelato will be OG Gelato 🤣😂🤣 

18 minutes ago, Prom said:

What the thread actually shows.. we need a naming convention for weed.. right now is just El Dorado out there. 

The more you think into.. the more I believe OG is simply "Original".. as not that many strains can be OG. Or ^^ my Gelato will be OG Gelato 🤣😂🤣 

I would say in this case that there should be way more OG's. like OG skunk, cz there's 100 different kinds of skunk, but there should be a OG kind, not true? The landrace skunk gene should be OG skunk then, by formality. 

a OG basically of every strain then...... 

38 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

People buying a Levi shirt for a couple hundred bucks compared to a cheaper one from Woolies which does not have a brand name on it. Brands sell, the fact we see soo many BMW 116i and 118i is further proof of this. Kak cars and terrible engines, but they are popular as it is a BMW and more affordable compared to some of the better BMW's which have better engines.

hahahah you like your car references bro

I agree here, "OG kush" the whole word sells well, now go to Tom, Dick and Harry and tell them you got some OG whatever, they will buy, because of the term. even more so when it's "OG kush". 

if the dudes not completely new to weed he will atleast know what you mean is "it's good weed".

Edited by Naughty.Psychonaut

17 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

hahahah you like your car references bro

I agree here, "OG kush" the whole word sells well, now go to Tom, Dick and Harry and tell them you got some OG whatever, they will buy, because of the term. even more so when it's "OG kush". 

if the dudes not completely new to weed he will atleast know what you mean is "it's good weed".

Yeah I do, I feel it works well and that a lot of South Africans can relate to it.

Our local market differs compared to a lot of other markets.

Precisely! I would not be surprised if it was just made up to try and sound cool and add appeal to the bud being sold / traded / smoked.

Before i started growing, I would notice that I would get a nice list of strains and some names really just seemed made up, order a variety and without a doubt the differences were minimal to none.
Probably the same strain, just given a different name to give the illusion of choice and try create want based on the meaning / desire some strains have.

The way in which strains are named, it plays a big role in the decision to purchase the strain or not - especially when you only get a picture (maybe) and a description (which is always appealing).

If you are someone who likes flapjacks for example, a strain with the word flapjacks in it could seem very appealing in the hopes that there may be some relation to flapjacks but chances are there is not.

Gorilla Glue #4 is a great example, super popular and you saw it being mentioned everywhere and soo many breeders had a GG4 strain or something mixed with it. Chances are majority of those breeders never even got a cut of the original GG4.

Marketing works, brands sell - when it comes to weed a strain name alone can have a massive effect and hold a lot of power.

In House Genetics kinda hit gold in a way with some of their super frosty strains and I feel for a lot of people they have become the go to breeder if you want frost.

On Instagram and other social media places, you cannot smell or taste terps or measure potency. You get a picture, the trichomes / frost can be seen in a picture and it sure does look good. It creates desire and want as it is not very common, yet at least, most beginner growers end up buying cheaper EU genetics and I have yet to see any of those plants come close to the frost Sugarcane puts out.

I feel most, if not all growers, at some point want to grow a super frosty strain. Even if it is just once off. If you are someone who buys weed, once again samples aren't really much of a thing without you first buying it. You often buy based on names and/or looks and frost looks good. Simple as that.

So whether OG is Original or Ocean Grown, how much does it actually matter? How true does it need to be? What difference is it going to make?
It is an interesting topic and leads to some good discussions though 😄  Whether we will ever know the truth behind the meaning, I am doubtful. Too much conflicting information and who do you choose to believe at the end of the day?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I think the OG talk is similar to the talk about where 420 came from, cop code, high tea time etc.. This is an interesting article about naming conventions and something I have been discussing with a couple growers lately. On the other hand, this is exactly how not to handle naming conventions of cannabis. Thandeka has been involved in cannabis since the mid 90s, sadly she never thought of saving our genetics then and I am sure most of the original DP collectors would be happy to share, but please not with Thandeka. I do believe South Africa should have some benefit of the name Durban Poison, but it should go to the people and not government coffers.  

"From Maui Wowie to Durban Poison to Acapulco Gold to Humboldt OG, cannabis strains often boast their geographic origin in their names. However, there is currently no system of enforcement that keeps any cannabis strain from claiming it comes from a place that it did not, in fact, come from. And if your dealer tells you they have some quality California pot, you have no way of knowing if that is true or if it is merely something grown in their buddy’s garage in Kentucky. But such a system of enforcement is right around the corner. "

I really cant stand names of today, Gelato, green crack, GSC, wedding cake, it sounds like an fffnnnn candy store. Think of the older names, naming conventions, they were spot on as they were regionalised already.Colombian Gold, Swazi Rooibaart, DP, Alaskan Thunder Fuck, Afghan Kush, OG Kush...... 

The oldest trick in the book of our street corner dealers was to sell medicore seeded swazi weed with names like White Widow, OG Kush, northern lights. I dont believe most people when they tell me names of weed, cause I know how hard it is to keep track of your names from seed to harvest if you not careful with labels.

Could waffle on for ages, but need to do some work, but had a great talk today with some top growers about this topic,weed names, cannabinoids, and its interesting the work that is being done here locally. Well done Canna SA.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

@PsyCLown

with the car thing, I had no idea what you where saying, bur knew exactly what was meant hahahah it's a good way to explain a bunch of thing as I've seen you do here on the forum

as in all situations in life there are many layers to a situation and looking at cars there is never just one answer. one question leads to 1000 other questions.

• Like 1