New grower, first attempt (indoors)

zolrooker

Hi @zolrooker, I am not too sure about your feeding plan but I am sure someone will chime in soon.

What I wouldn't do is feed the fish emulsion during flower. It's high in nitrogen and therefore more suitable for veg. I heard that the flowers taste like fish if you feed that stuff late in flower. Biobizz bloom is definitely a good choice.

Kelp, Molasses and compost tea should be fine for flowering too.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fridgedoor said:

Hi @zolrooker, I am not too sure about your feeding plan but I am sure someone will chime in soon.

What I wouldn't do is feed the fish emulsion during flower. It's high in nitrogen and therefore more suitable for veg. I heard that the flowers taste like fish if you feed that stuff late in flower. Biobizz bloom is definitely a good choice.

Kelp, Molasses and compost tea should be fine for flowering too.

Thanks bud, i was also aware of the high nitrogen content, but thought that it may be fine to use for the first 2 weeks. Will rather leave it out if theres any risk it can cause any problems.

3 minutes ago, Fridgedoor said:

This is something I want to try soon. Seeing that you do teas it might be something interesting for you too.

https://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/vermi-phos-2-5l-r250/

Looks good.. i was actually trying to get some vermicompost / worm castings last week for my tea but had no luck finding it locally.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Hi guys, i just need some advice/guidance regarding nutrients and watering shedules during the flowering stage. please..

This is what i was thinking of doing for the first 2 weeks:

-1st watering - Compost tea (Compost, Molasses, Liquid Kelp, Seagro Fish Emulsion)

- 2nd watering - Plain water /  should i add Fertilizer or is it too much?

-3rd watering - Plain water only

Repeat

Is the above plan ok?

What fertilizers can i start using after week 2 or 3 of flowering? Is kelp and fish emulsion still ok to use once it starts producing buds, or is there another better one? Maybe BioBloom? Or something natural that works well perhaps?

Will then only start exclusively using plain water for the final 2 weeks as ive read that it can make for a harsh smoke if not flushed before harvest..

Hey @zolrooker

The seagro is fine to use during veg, I use it too. But I think that the Nitrogen content is a bit too high. your N:K:P ratio should be adjusted during flower. Ideally the N should be the least of the three during flower while in veg the N should be higher. K helps fatten the bud and P helps create more bud sites. well, atleast that is my understanding from what I have read and it's been working well with my grow so far. 

I've gone with the BioBizz Bloom. Every alternate feed, I add molasses too. So far so good. 

I'm a full on newbie though, so please fact check this information before trying it. 

Edited by Tee_Aitch_See
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Tee_Aitch_See said:

Hey @zolrooker

The seagro is fine to use during veg, I use it too. But I think that the Nitrogen content is a bit too high. your N:K:P ratio should be adjusted during flower. Ideally the N should be the least of the three during flower while in veg the N should be higher. K helps fatten the bud and P helps create more bud sites. well, atleast that is my understanding from what I have read and it's been working well with my grow so far. 

I've gone with the BioBizz Bloom. Every alternate feed, I add molasses too. So far so good. 

I'm a full on newbie though, so please fact check this information before trying it. 

Thanks bud.. every bit of info helps. I was thinking of doing similar to you as well.. but not sure if i should go for the biobloom, or rather for something more natural that has higher K and P content.

If im not mistaken, I think molasses has good amounts of Potassium, as well as calcium and magnesium. Just not sure if i need to add anything else with higher phosphorus concentration..

Below is the chemical compostion of molasses as found online, to get a rough idea:

Minerals

• Calcium ----- 205 mg --- 20%
  • Iron -------- 4.7 mg --- 26%
  • Magnesium --- 242 mg --- 61%
  • Phosphorus -- 31 mg ---- 3%
  • Potassium --- 1464 mg -- 42%
  • Sodium ------ 37 mg ---- 2%
  • Zinc -------- 0.3 mg --- 2%
  • Copper ------ 0.5 mg --- 24%
  • Manganese --- 1.5 mg --- 77%
  • Selenium ---- 17.8 mcg - 25%

Vitamins

• Thiamin -------- > 0.0 mg -- 3%
  • Niacin ------------- 0.9 mg -- 5%
  • Vitamin B6 ------- 0.7 mg -- 34%
  • Pantothenic Acid - 0.8 mg -- 8%
  • Choline ---------- 13.3 mg - ~

Sugars (55.5 g)

• Sucrose 29403 mg
  • Glucose 11919 mg
  • Fructose 12791 mg

Me again 😁. I wouldn't use the stuff from builders. Try to stay away from granules as they are slow acting. In case you add too much it's going to be difficult to correct it. I haven't used it though...

Bloom booster are also a tricky one which I would only recommend if you really know what you're doing.

I think molasses or biobloom (which contains lots of molasses) would be best. Oh and if you're looking for boosters maybe check out topmax from biobizz. Not very cheap but I had good results with it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Fridgedoor said:

Me again 😁. I wouldn't use the stuff from builders. Try to stay away from granules as they are slow acting. In case you add too much it's going to be difficult to correct it. I haven't used it though...

Bloom booster are also a tricky one which I would only recommend if you really know what you're doing.

I think molasses or biobloom (which contains lots of molasses) would be best. Oh and if you're looking for boosters maybe check out topmax from biobizz. Not very cheap but I had good results with it.

I also read now that the active ingredient in the "PH down" powder that im using is sodium phosphate.. so maybe its not necessary for me to add too much phosphate.. Not sure what the concentration etc is though.. Maybe ill just get a small amount of some sort of slow release option like rock phosphate and sprinkle on top of my soil, together with the "ph down" when watering. Just a thought...

Im just thumbsucking this.. so if this isnt going to work, then someone pls correct me lol.

Edited by zolrooker

Ph down is either nitric acid or phosphoric acid....

They are really strong acids and only a drop will change ph. Not enough phosphates to support flowering at the pH you need.

I wouldn't want to be adding sodium to my medium.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, zolrooker said:

I also read now that the active ingredient in the "PH down" powder that im using is sodium phosphate.. so maybe its not necessary for me to add too much phosphate.. Not sure what the concentration etc is though.. Maybe ill just get a small amount of some sort of slow release option like rock phosphate and sprinkle on top of my soil, together with the "ph down" when watering. Just a thought...

Im just thumbsucking this.. so if this isnt going to work, then someone pls correct me lol.

Brother. I see u like to fiddle. I dont mean it in a bad way. Please dont be offended. 

Instead of having so many moving parts and ammendments and additives and so many steps. Which means more chance of shit not being correct or doing what it suposed to.

Why dont u go for the easiest solution with the least amount of work.

This route may be abit costlier. But its gona relieve u of so much of stressfull thinking.

Rather get the good nutez in a bottle that u just need to mix with water. 

The simpler it is the less can go wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

16 hours ago, afternoon blazer said:

Brother. I see u like to fiddle. I dont mean it in a bad way. Please dont be offended. 

Instead of having so many moving parts and ammendments and additives and so many steps. Which means more chance of shit not being correct or doing what it suposed to.

Why dont u go for the easiest solution with the least amount of work.

This route may be abit costlier. But its gona relieve u of so much of stressfull thinking.

Rather get the good nutez in a bottle that u just need to mix with water. 

The simpler it is the less can go wrong.

No problem bro.. no offense taken at all (and yes i love to fiddle haha), i just want any solution that works. What do you suggest? biobloom? Or can i get away with just using molasses and compost tea? (i throw a tablespoon of kelp and a tablespoon of microbes into my compost tea)

If compost tea and molasses alone will do the job perfectly, then ill use that alone.. I was just worried that i was lacking  P in my feeding plan and thought that id rather go organic since it will reduce the likelihood of overfeeding etc...

Edited by zolrooker

There was a fire at a substation and ive been without lights since 6pm yesterday. They havent yet assessed the damage, so im not sure how long the lights will be out. I ran a backup light for 12 hours and temps dropped to about 9 deg. Hopefully power can be restored today.

16 hours ago, Totemic said:

Ph down is either nitric acid or phosphoric acid....

They are really strong acids and only a drop will change ph. Not enough phosphates to support flowering at the pH you need.

I wouldn't want to be adding sodium to my medium.

The one im using is the Daro PH down powder (Active ingredient is sodium bi-phosphate).. I add 1.5ml in a 5liter bottle to get the ph i want.

58 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

No problem bro.. no offense taken at all (and yes i love to fiddle haha), i just want any solution that works. What do you suggest? biobloom? Or can i get away with just using molasses and compost tea? (i throw a tablespoon of kelp and a tablespoon of microbes into my compost tea)

If compost tea and molasses alone will do the job perfectly, then ill use that alone.. I was just worried that i was lacking  P in my feeding plan and thought that id rather go organic since it will reduce the likelihood of overfeeding etc...

I suggest maybe getting a 3 pack kind of nutez bro. Some sort of nutez to be used at each stage. There are a few ranges out there and it comes with a schedule . So u know exactly what to do and when to do it. 

I use biobizz. But u can maybe check what the other members are using. 

This would be the simplest and easiest solution to not screw anything up.

Just my opinion though.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

There was a fire at a substation and ive been without lights since 6pm yesterday. They havent yet assessed the damage, so im not sure how long the lights will be out. I ran a backup light for 12 hours and temps dropped to about 9 deg. Hopefully power can be restored today.

Pop them in the sun if u can 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Pop them in the sun if u can 

Im running my light from 8PM to 8am, so putting in the sun is going to really mess with their internal clock im guessing? lol

Going to be without power for 2-3 days, so i think im gonna try and get a generator and then i could run my lights and fans..

50 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

I suggest maybe getting a 3 pack kind of nutez bro. Some sort of nutez to be used at each stage. There are a few ranges out there and it comes with a schedule . So u know exactly what to do and when to do it. 

I use biobizz. But u can maybe check what the other members are using. 

This would be the simplest and easiest solution to not screw anything up.

Just my opinion though.

Ok thanks bud, will have a look. Tbh, i think im just gonna stick to the molasses n tea combo. Been getting alot of help from @Master_G as well and he uses only molasses with Just Cannabis soil and his weed looks amazing.

4 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Im running my light from 8PM to 8am, so putting in the sun is going to really mess with their internal clock im guessing? lol

Going to be without power for 2-3 days, so i think im gonna try and get a generator and then i could run my lights and fans..

The fans are a big one, no air movement, and WPM creeps in, please be careful brother. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

The fans are a big one, no air movement, and WPM creeps in, please be careful brother. 

Oh no.. There was no air movement since last night, besides when i opened up to check on them. I didn't want to leave it open as i didn't want it to get too cold. Hopefully i can have a solution by tonight

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fridgedoor said:

@zolrookerThey're looking nice and bushy! No power since Tuesday? Man I am already annoyed with loadshedding and I'm not even growing indoors... Hope your power comes back on soon.

Thanks man. Probably only gonna come back tomorrow. Been running a generator intermittently in combination with emergency light when the gennie goes down. The girls have suffered enough this week lol, but through the cold temps, lack of airflow and rationed light they're looking good. 

• Like 3

On 8/19/2020 at 10:19 AM, zolrooker said:

Ok thanks bud, will have a look. Tbh, i think im just gonna stick to the molasses n tea combo. Been getting alot of help from @Master_G as well and he uses only molasses with Just Cannabis soil and his weed looks amazing.

I think i just get lucky.. I also have lots of questions all the time and seek help from others.. Your ladies are looking amazing however with all the issues you have been getting.. DAMN!!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1