Felt a little crafty

Naughty.Psychonaut

Hope everyones doing great!

I have a few things on my plate right now and too many things keeping me from reaching that desired budget to buy everything I want. Taking things slow, step by step and trying not to do anything by force, will get where I wana be sooner or later! For the time being, since my first DIY grow cupboard, I've always been collecting all sorts of parts and materials to use for a grow, as they happen upon my way. Just for in case, you know?

I took cuttings from the plants I'm running in the tent at the moment, had them sitting in some jiffies in a humidity dome on a heat mat under a CFL. Did manage to get some roots within 15 days!!! Was quite happy about it, but the fucking heat of the CFLs burnt the leaves crispy brown. My mind and money is set on my DIY 300w QB with some samsung strips, then gona use the Apollo 8 blurple I have now for veg only.

Didn't wana spend much, or anything really, but the CFLs had to go!!! Just to replace them I got one of those flood lights I'm reading about on the forum, checked out all the places around me that sells any kinda light, best I could find was a 50w, 3200Lumens, 6500Kelvin. For R530 with a 2 year warrenty and it's literally built for outdoors so can hose them down if I ever felt like it.

I was lucky enough to happen upon a huge lump of reflective material. a Few pallet loads of chemicals that needed to be kept cool was shipped wrapped in diamond mylar. Literally feels the same as the material of the mars tents with the little square patterns. Thick, almost stays in the shape you bend it. I even have a hard time cutting it as it seems to have a bit of wire in it too, to make the square pattern. I obviously took all of it, because it was free and was going to get recycled anyway.

On the farm we have quite a few "scrap materials" laying around. I asked boss man if I could have 2 x 5m wooden battons that are 2cmx2cm square. They cost like R60 a pole I think, but I got them free.

I bought softwood cupboard panels, you get the one that's smooth matte white one side and rough wood brown on the other side then there's a smooth wood and rough wood sided ones. I already had my reflective material I went with the both sides wooden, because it was a little cheaper, but I'm sure you could use the white ones and skip on the reflective material and get the same results. I payed R155 for a 2m x 3m "sheet".

Picked up the bigger version of the Hydor bathroom extractor for R400 quite a while ago.

Had a small desk fan laying around, also a thermometer and hygrometer so didn't have to buy those.

Odds - roll of ducktape, wood glue, pack of screws, 1 x ladies stockings, 2 of the smallest door hinges, pack of smallest screw-in hooks, 3mm x 2m chain, 5m wire and plug for light.

Started with the 10m wood, cut 8 x 70cm pieces and 4 x 100cm pieces. Using my handy dandy wood glue and screws, I made 2 x 70cm squares with the 8 pieces and used the 4 x 100cm to mount the squares onto. So the space is 70x70x100. Quite alright for veg. Using the ductape I covered the softwood board with the reflective and stuck them to the wood frame, again using the glue then some screws. (The glue alsp helps fill gaps for light leaks)

I used the blade from a metal saw with the fine teeth to cut squares in the bottom of the wood pannel for passive air intakes and I made a circle where the extractor fan is fitted. Extractor aswell as the passive intakes are covered with the ladies stockings, again using the ductape. Inside the passive intakes I cut an extra piece of mylar just to hang over the stockings to help with light leaking in there during lights off.

I screwed 2 of the hooks in the top wood beams, hooked the chain from side to side, hung the light and plugged the whole bitch up!

Basically a glorified propagation box. Here she is:20200627_132153.thumb.jpg.7bb9288ed77c7c7aac2f7ccb08fbc9ae.jpg
Top right corner black circle is the stockings covered mouth of the extractor fitted with a ducting that links into the ducting from my other tent, this box thing stands next to my tent. 

20200626_183925.thumb.jpg.d313386931d61c717b2757489b1d4364.jpg
Here is one of the passive intakes, to understand "the flap" a bit better. Also a close up of the reflective material.

I planted the best 4 cuttings into their first pots. This is their home now untill flower time.

I believe once I do get another tent I'll still keep this bad boy for further seed pops and maybe build a nice bubble cloner to fit.

Happy growing!

:-puffpass

• Like 9

Hope everyones doing great!

I have a few things on my plate right now and too many things keeping me from reaching that desired budget to buy everything I want. Taking things slow, step by step and trying not to do anything by force, will get where I wana be sooner or later! For the time being, since my first DIY grow cupboard, I've always been collecting all sorts of parts and materials to use for a grow, as they happen upon my way. Just for in case, you know?

I took cuttings from the plants I'm running in the tent at the moment, had them sitting in some jiffies in a humidity dome on a heat mat under a CFL. Did manage to get some roots within 15 days!!! Was quite happy about it, but the fucking heat of the CFLs burnt the leaves crispy brown. My mind and money is set on my DIY 300w QB with some samsung strips, then gona use the Apollo 8 blurple I have now for veg only.

Didn't wana spend much, or anything really, but the CFLs had to go!!! Just to replace them I got one of those flood lights I'm reading about on the forum, checked out all the places around me that sells any kinda light, best I could find was a 50w, 3200Lumens, 6500Kelvin. For R530 with a 2 year warrenty and it's literally built for outdoors so can hose them down if I ever felt like it.

I was lucky enough to happen upon a huge lump of reflective material. a Few pallet loads of chemicals that needed to be kept cool was shipped wrapped in diamond mylar. Literally feels the same as the material of the mars tents with the little square patterns. Thick, almost stays in the shape you bend it. I even have a hard time cutting it as it seems to have a bit of wire in it too, to make the square pattern. I obviously took all of it, because it was free and was going to get recycled anyway.

On the farm we have quite a few "scrap materials" laying around. I asked boss man if I could have 2 x 5m wooden battons that are 2cmx2cm square. They cost like R60 a pole I think, but I got them free.

I bought softwood cupboard panels, you get the one that's smooth matte white one side and rough wood brown on the other side then there's a smooth wood and rough wood sided ones. I already had my reflective material I went with the both sides wooden, because it was a little cheaper, but I'm sure you could use the white ones and skip on the reflective material and get the same results. I payed R155 for a 2m x 3m "sheet".

Picked up the bigger version of the Hydor bathroom extractor for R400 quite a while ago.

Had a small desk fan laying around, also a thermometer and hygrometer so didn't have to buy those.

Odds - roll of ducktape, wood glue, pack of screws, 1 x ladies stockings, 2 of the smallest door hinges, pack of smallest screw-in hooks, 3mm x 2m chain, 5m wire and plug for light.

Started with the 10m wood, cut 8 x 70cm pieces and 4 x 100cm pieces. Using my handy dandy wood glue and screws, I made 2 x 70cm squares with the 8 pieces and used the 4 x 100cm to mount the squares onto. So the space is 70x70x100. Quite alright for veg. Using the ductape I covered the softwood board with the reflective and stuck them to the wood frame, again using the glue then some screws. (The glue alsp helps fill gaps for light leaks)

I used the blade from a metal saw with the fine teeth to cut squares in the bottom of the wood pannel for passive air intakes and I made a circle where the extractor fan is fitted. Extractor aswell as the passive intakes are covered with the ladies stockings, again using the ductape. Inside the passive intakes I cut an extra piece of mylar just to hang over the stockings to help with light leaking in there during lights off.

I screwed 2 of the hooks in the top wood beams, hooked the chain from side to side, hung the light and plugged the whole bitch up!

Basically a glorified propagation box. Here she is:20200627_132153.thumb.jpg.7bb9288ed77c7c7aac2f7ccb08fbc9ae.jpg
Top right corner black circle is the stockings covered mouth of the extractor fitted with a ducting that links into the ducting from my other tent, this box thing stands next to my tent. 
20200626_183925.thumb.jpg.d313386931d61c717b2757489b1d4364.jpg
Here is one of the passive intakes, to understand "the flap" a bit better. Also a close up of the reflective material.

I planted the best 4 cuttings into their first pots. This is their home now untill flower time.

I believe once I do get another tent I'll still keep this bad boy for further seed pops and maybe build a nice bubble cloner to fit.

Happy growing!
:-puffpass
Nioce improvise, love it

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PsyCLown

15 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

So the space is 70x70x100.

One thing I forgot to mention is the L-brackets I put in every corner where the wood frame meets. It's quite sturdy, before I put the panels on I was able to sit on top of the frame and I weigh around 70kg. So there's wood glue, long ass screws at wood on wood sites plus brackets with screws to keep the whole frame stable. I think the wood poles would snap in half before the corners come loose, but even for that to happen it would have to be carrying some real heavy weight for real long time or experience one hell of an impact. 

I believe this thing is much stronger than a normal tent, I also only have the one flood light which weighs like 2kg hanging from the wood. 

My concern rather lies with the hooks that screw into the wood where the light hangs from. I'm sure if anything was gona give in it would probably be those hooks. I just grabbed the ones I thought would work, but they're real small so I might replace them. 

• Like 2

Yeah I did think about that, but can't get around the poles as they are the corners of the panels with the panels mounted directly onto them. 

I also used some alu tape to seal the edges in case of light leaks. There's also wood glue and screws between the wood poles and panels. 

If I tied something around the poles I'd have to make more holes in the sides and that's not necessary. I'll find a hook with a bracket that allows me to screw in more than one place. 

I can add more hooks and do a 4 way spread with a chain from hook to hook and hang the light from there, distributing the 2kg of weight between all the hooks. 

Think I'll just grab bigger hooks. Also then much easier for me to adjust light distance by just adding or removing one chain link. 

Got 3mm chain for R8 a meter. Super cheap so I got 10m for future purpose aswell, builders asked R25/m for the same chain. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it will do for now. The hooks have not budged a bit and when I tug on them they feel firm. Will only upgrade when I switch lights, got some brackets with hooks already. 

Girls are looking perky so I am feeling good about this, they only gona be in here till the tent is empty then gona use it for clones in future. 

As I mentioned I had a "clone dome conversion situation" and this is what came of it. At the time I had probably 10 to 12 clones, with a couple that got root bound and some that where not worth it. I only got space for 4 plants indoors, planted few in random potting soil in pots outside. These are the 4 that got material pots and prepped to go into the "flower tent" after I harvest what's in there now. 

These are:

3 x Banana Hammock

1 x Cheese (front left)

-small one in the corner is a Super Lemon Haze cut. 

20200706_181831.thumb.jpg.62db80d60434c004db738aeb20de2b0d.jpg

I've topped all the tops, except for the one plant in front right, but I think I took this photo before or during. 

• Like 2

Hey, nice setup! May I suggest a 150w led floodlight light that pumps out about 12000 lumens for R375 from acdc.Im using it right now with decent results ,but the unit does get really hot so you will need a decent extraction unit.I only run my lights at night so the temps care care of itself but with decent circulation

https://www.acdc.co.za/products/220-240-150w-cool-white-led-alum-flood-light-ip65?variant=32751529689165.

• Like 1

@Batista

Thanks man! I am in the process of building a new light for the tent, then will use my 300w blurple for this space. Probably will pick up a new tent aswell when the new light is running then just keep this as is with that 50w in there just to pop seeds or make some clones. Not really looking to spend more money on it as it's only 1m high I can't really let the plants stay in there for too long. Once new light and tent is up I will use my current setup for a proper veg room. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spread their legs and gave them AACT twice by now, did another Bioneem treatment.20200724_210254.thumb.jpg.e78da5de8bc99cb530d26b7e946d158e.jpg

The little red things down below is just a couple of sweet potatos rooting and a tip of a trichocereus bridgesii cutting sticking out there. 

Also:

I had a few extra clones, given all away except for this one Banana Hammock. It's free to anyone who wants it, must be able to link up in Hermanus area to collect.20200724_210454.thumb.jpg.3ab9d778e7b882ee5171ca2288c0f445.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 12:32 AM, Batista said:

Hey, nice setup! May I suggest a 150w led floodlight light that pumps out about 12000 lumens for R375 from acdc.Im using it right now with decent results ,but the unit does get really hot so you will need a decent extraction unit.I only run my lights at night so the temps care care of itself but with decent circulation

https://www.acdc.co.za/products/220-240-150w-cool-white-led-alum-flood-light-ip65?variant=32751529689165.

@Batista what up bro. Have you vegged a grow with these before? Any pics or grow dairies?

• Like 1

@Batista what up bro. Have you vegged a grow with these before? Any pics or grow dairies?

Yo, I'm growing with this in my tent right now, the nugs are some of the most dense I have ever grown. I'm concerned about longevity because of the extreme heat though and don't know whether I can run this in summer,but for that price and my needs it works out well.12000 lumens is no joke, I can't even look at this light for more than a second before it burns it's image into my retina for the next 5 mins lol

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Batista said:

Yo, I'm growing with this in my tent right now, the nugs are some of the most dense I have ever grown. I'm concerned about longevity because of the extreme heat though and don't know whether I can run this in summer,but for that price and my needs it works out well.12000 lumens is no joke, I can't even look at this light for more than a second before it burns it's image into my retina for the next 5 mins lol

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

@BatistaBrobeans. Ur comment makes me very happy. (Tried and tested)

As i also have this 150w light for just veg. U seem really happy bro. So the future looks promising.

I have to trouble u abit now. . .  Sorry brother. 

What is the size of ur grow room.

What distance do u keep the light from top of plant. Seedling. Veg and flower stage.

How many plants do u veg at a time.

How long do u normally use the light for in a 24 hour period.

Do u also use the sun for better light during the day.

Please share some pics of ur babies under this light bro.

37 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

@afternoon blazer haha yeah but I want it as a veg light. That will work perfect!

😅  well mo light mo grow.

I am chatting to a few people at the moment about the light bro.

Trying to get as much info as possible from people who are further in their grow. So far. Im only getting good feedback.

Just watch your light bill bro. Dont let it run too far.

I would also like to see this thing in action.

I already phoned the place I got this light at, they'll do a refund for me, but I don't wana take this light out before I have the new one and I am on the brim of finishing up saving for something much more important. So as soon as I get my ducks in a row I'll grab one of these aswell! This is a deal not to miss, IMO. 

I think just sticking to LED rather than HID you're already much better off concerning the bill!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I would also like to see this thing in action.

I already phoned the place I got this light at, they'll do a refund for me, but I don't wana take this light out before I have the new one and I am on the brim of finishing up saving for something much more important. So as soon as I get my ducks in a row I'll grab one of these aswell! This is a deal not to miss, IMO. 

I think just sticking to LED rather than HID you're already much better off concerning the bill!

@Naughty.Psychonaut hold up brother.

Are you telling me that u still have the 1x 50w led vegging those 4 plants currently?

20200724_210254.thumb.jpg.e78da5de8bc99cb530d26b7e946d158e.jpg

Indeed, I am. 

In this pic you can just about see the "50W" on the light itself.IMG-20200723-WA0015.thumb.jpeg.af585de5201502981cbd58eecf6266d1.jpeg

Other specs where mentioned earlier in the thread. When it comes to LED it is really not the wattage which should be of main concern, but rather the overall estimated Lumens. Or more specifically, Lumens per Watt. 

I have found high wattage lights, huge lights, that push very average lumens. These are the ones to be avoided, specially because they'll typically be priced a bit lower and they look real big and mighty. This is where looks can be very decieving! Then there is the low watt high lumen output lights, these are the ones built for specific purposes and will be a bit more expensive. 

Not the most detailed explination, but Lumens per Watt means the amount of light you get for the amount of electricity used. Where the Lumens refer to the light intensity and the Watts refer to the amount of juice sucked from the wall.

3 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

Indeed, I am. 

In this pic you can just about see the "50W" on the light itself.IMG-20200723-WA0015.thumb.jpeg.af585de5201502981cbd58eecf6266d1.jpeg

Other specs where mentioned earlier in the thread. When it comes to LED it is really not the wattage which should be of main concern, but rather the overall estimated Lumens. Or more specifically, Lumens per Watt. 

I have found high wattage lights, huge lights, that push very average lumens. These are the ones to be avoided, specially because they'll typically be priced a bit lower and they look real big and mighty. This is where looks can be very decieving! Then there is the low watt high lumen output lights, these are the ones built for specific purposes and will be a bit more expensive. 

Not the most detailed explination, but Lumens per Watt means the amount of light you get for the amount of electricity used. Where the Lumens refer to the light intensity and the Watts refer to the amount of juice sucked from the wall.

Im very impressed brother. 4 plants under that 1 light. And they seem to be doing well. 

Feeling very excited about my 150w.

Very promising. Keep it up bro.

• Like 1