2nd run

SAgrower

So I finished my first ever grow, things went a bit tits up at then but hey that's how you learn.

I have started my second grow which will be used to learn some new training techniques. This grow will be as organic as possible and will be done outside in sunlight when possible otherwise under a 150w LED which they are currently being vegged under.

I know its winter now etc but I dont plan to veg them very long, as I said its mostly a test run to see how much my own knowledge has grown and also what I can learn from others.

The seeds that is currently in the grow is;

Badazz OG cheese

Special queen 1

Blue dream

Malawi gold (still germinating)

The grow medium that I will be using is a living soil I got from@SkunkPharm . I must say he has been more than helpful in more ways than one. I know I ask a lot of questions but thanks for everything.

I will be planting them in 20L freedom farm pots.

I don't know much about living soil yet but it seems that as soon as the current roots went through the jiffy pellets into the soil they grew quicker.

The sun has not really been that great the last couple of days so they have only been under the LED so they are a bit small for their age, I think.

The og cheese and special queen 1 sprouted on 10 May, the blue dream on 25 May.

My first question I have is when should I repot them into the bigger, final pots?

The pictures below were taken today.

Please dont ask about the ice cream cone, that is the project of the wife (blue dream)

As always, any other advice or criticism welcome.

e949797bbfc0cdccee00c99dae6f9404.jpg8a9a2af3c1d2d74a84beeb20b3b0b39b.jpg38026843c162fd0157713059ea28a996.jpg1db340ecb6ef2521e7f609cb4da19005.jpg

• Like 2

I also do the 350ml foam cup method, as seedling gets bigger it drinks more and it might dry out abit quicker. That living soil holds water nice also. I punch alot of small holes at bottom side of cup and underneath to hopefully promote a little root pruning and get my root ball going earli on, you can go 2+weeks in the cup. Did you get the amendments also for the soil?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

Rule of thumb is that the roots follow the leaves. When your leaves reach the side of the pot, is time for a new home.

Thank you for the tip. Would you suggest planting straight into the 20L pots?

I also do the 350ml foam cup method, as seedling gets bigger it drinks more and it might dry out abit quicker. That living soil holds water nice also. I punch alot of small holes at bottom side of cup and underneath to hopefully promote a little root pruning and get my root ball going earli on, you can go 2+weeks in the cup. Did you get the amendments also for the soil?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I have indeed received the amendments, they have been bubbling in rain water overnight. I bought an airpump and airstone for this.

Aweh@SAgrower

Depends on what you planting.

Photoperiods.
The potting up strategy is to promote a strong rootball early on as@Prom mentioned. But also serves to assist growers not to over water their seedlings. (think big pot, must add plenty water, seedling struggles and possibly dies.)

Autoflowers
Usually are planted into their final pots to avoid repotting stress, which has an impact on veg time and overall final size/yield.

If you manhandle any plant during repotting, you can lose 2weeks veg time.

I currently use a 2x pot system in soil.
Germ in paper towel or straight to tray, transplant to 10cm seedling pot/tray, on 1st 2 real leaves they go to final pots 20-30lit.
I grow outdoor on the east coast- plenty bugs and have lost too many seedlings to vegetarian critters, prefer to plant them out when they a little bigger.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aweh@SAgrower

Depends on what you planting.

Photoperiods.
The potting up strategy is to promote a strong rootball early on as@Prom mentioned. But also serves to assist growers not to over water their seedlings. (think big pot, must add plenty water, seedling struggles and possibly dies.)

Autoflowers
Usually are planted into their final pots to avoid repotting stress, which has an impact on veg time and overall final size/yield.

If you manhandle any plant during repotting, you can lose 2weeks veg time.

I currently use a 2x pot system in soil.
Germ in paper towel or straight to tray, transplant to 10cm seedling pot/tray, on 1st 2 real leaves they go to final pots 20-30lit.
I grow outdoor on the east coast- plenty bugs and have lost too many seedlings to vegetarian critters, prefer to plant them out when they a little bigger.

Cheers

Thanks. Yes I should have mentioned the seeds are all photoperiod seeds. I will follow the advice and repot the special queen in a couple of hours.

Just finished repotting the special queen 1 and the badazz og cheese. The cheese is a bit small but thats ok.

I first wet the soil with the amendments included and then continued with the repotting. Luckily no major hick ups so Im happy.

My water tanks are collecting rain water but the water inside smells weird, would this cause issues with the plants as I want to water this entire grow with rain water.
a4ff20b0bb8c3bcba25119b768270441.jpg54a622a8a32e0f515c53ce05c5cde605.jpg

• Like 1

@SAgrower

I only use rainwater on my plants.
Rainwater needs to be aerated and circulated regularly or it can go anearobic and start to smell. (I collect from our roof- think bird/gecko poop and other organics) I add 250ml 50% hydrogen peroxide to our 4500lit tank once a month during circulation to add O2 and keep bacteria in check.
Lots of info on Google.

@SAgrower

I only use rainwater on my plants.
Rainwater needs to be aerated and circulated regularly or it can go anearobic and start to smell. (I collect from our roof- think bird/gecko poop and other organics) I add 250ml 50% hydrogen peroxide to our 4500lit tank once a month during circulation to add O2 and keep bacteria in check.
Lots of info on Google.

Thank you very much I will do some investigation into this. I only use the water for the pool top up currently so there is no movement of water inside except when it rains.

On 5/31/2020 at 4:05 AM, SAgrower said:

Thank you very much I will do some investigation into this. I only use the water for the pool top up currently so there is no movement of water inside except when it rains.

Just some clarification... Are you using pool water on your plants? 

It's not the end of the world... But pool water is treated water and can contain excess amounts of chlorine and chloromains which could hurt your microbiology already in the soil. 

I use fresh tap water - in a bucket - left to stand until use. 

I use a 150l tote for my water, and actually go through quite a bit of water in a month... If I had a Jojo like @Bospatrollie2 I would also consider keeping the bacteria in check.

But pool water is a no no 

Just some clarification... Are you using pool water on your plants? 
It's not the end of the world... But pool water is treated water and can contain excess amounts of chlorine and chloromains which could hurt your microbiology already in the soil. 
I use fresh tap water - in a bucket - left to stand until use. 
I use a 150l tote for my water, and actually go through quite a bit of water in a month... If I had a Jojo like @Bospatrollie2 I would also consider keeping the bacteria in check.
But pool water is a no no 
No no, think you misunderstood. The jojo tanks are connected to the gutters but currently the water inside of the tanks are used to top up the pool.

I now use the tank water (rain) to water the plants, not chlorinated pool water.
  • Like 1

Just a little update since the last pictures. The special queen is doing well, the badass og cheese looks a little weird but coming along.

The smallest one is a Malawi gold and then a blue dream which will be replanted this coming weekend.

I am still vegging them under the LED in the garage but when the sun is out they are outside.

I will soon start mainlining the special queen.

51b9f655d6f19c29e8eb6bc81af8ce09.jpgef788cdcdea1e2f1d4960e67f12d3205.jpg42e2dcc25e631261b33fce9f5c3be01c.jpg

5673ff2dd2e042a2d32726e21de2e144.jpg

• Like 1

Just a small update on the grow. The special queen is steaming ahead, almost time to mainline.

The badazz og cheese looks weird but its fine. The seem to really like the soil. I have only watered them twice since planting them in the bigger pots.

I have unfortunately also noticed some bugs and white spots on the special queen. I noticed a white pest on one leave yesterday so hope someone can educate me on what they are and how to get rid of them.

The plants are in the garage when there is no sun so I expected some bugs and pests to find their way there.

e0271819f53ecffbd88490a1373d17bf.jpgb8c0bb7d72286425b4dfb7ae541f2da2.jpg0caf98164dafce0321a2218de852ae85.jpg21770e1353c2e7312792ffbc5e21bb0c.jpg1b27bc3e901341120b51d6e8aa119057.jpg73a11ef03b042231b1537e8b79488498.jpgaa3ffa96ed895c4f3bf2550c95df7543.jpg

Another weekly update.

Cape had some cold, dark and wet weather the past week which meant the plants were under the LED light most of the time.

I find it interesting the amount of growth from one day of sun versus an entire week under the LED lights. I know the light is not correct for growing but this is what this entire grow is about, learning things by seeing how my plants react to different circumstances.

I transplanted the Malawi gold yesterday but some of the roots were stuck through some hole in the cup which broke off. I continued with the repotting so will see if it survives.

b2235537c85a5636cc5e5398c297859b.jpg

403c408638e29acdca7f6c56139a4448.jpg

The biggest of the plants is the special queen 1 which I would like to mainline. I am busy doing research on mainlining bit was wondering if I should let it grow a bit more or if shes ready. I am not planning on keeping the 2 biggest plants in veg for my longer, probably another 20 to 30 days and then flip

ce92319c724aa0c7941ba908d05d3c42.jpg

c3eafd68c6958d4f3cd2818a0517ad39.jpg

The second biggest one is the badazz og cheese. Does anyone have suggestions for an interesting stress technique to do, something not too difficult?

732ab460f5219966e70bab9de56405ad.jpg

dacb657a1c7f7cc825bd027ae4447dfa.jpg

The plant in the green pot is a blue dream which my wife is growing, some type of bonsai / nano grow.

24e7cb248d29602014dfc3e97aea0050.jpg

0edd81406ead349b7e1f7ffc5e9f1ead.jpg

Hope you guys have a nice week ahead of you.

• Like 1

Yea! Growth will be booming now that real leaves are out. 

As for the growth with the LED, the light it emmits will deminish greatly every 30cm away from the plants. 

So it looks like you have a few plants that need the extra light, but if you were able to lower the light and focus the light over the plants, growth will then start catching up with the sun... The sun is pure power though

• Like 2

Looking good. Are the still under that led flood light? You will see it double in size now every week. If all goes well. 

Yip, still under the same light unless there is some nice sun like today

Yea! Growth will be booming now that real leaves are out. 
As for the growth with the LED, the light it emmits will deminish greatly every 30cm away from the plants. 
So it looks like you have a few plants that need the extra light, but if you were able to lower the light and focus the light over the plants, growth will then start catching up with the sun... The sun is pure power though

Thanks for the tip. The light is currently hanging about 40cm from the plants but today they are enjoying the full sun.