COB LED Growers?

Q9550

1 hour ago, SkunkPharm said:

I am running 2 Bridgelux Vero 29 3500k at 1.4amps. Got them at growopz. Good price if you don't have all the tools to do a DIY project. I am running then with a 150w MH and the plants seem to like the mix of light.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Nice man!
Was really interested with the Vero 29s when i made my lights, just couldn't get them cheap enough and couldn't find them locally. I ended going with 4 CXA2530s @600mA on PC Fan heatsinks. I'm now looking at upgrading my COBs to either better Cree's or some Citizen CLUs if i can find them cheap enough. My most limiting factor is the heatsinks.

Anyone know where i can get bar type finned heat sinks, similar to what GrowOpz has on his site but bigger?

https://growopz.com/collections/grow-lights/products/large-aluminium-heatsink-for-3w-leds

5 minutes ago, McB said:

aside from rs and digikey, any local cob suppliers im missing?

i need supplemental light, and thinking a  single vero cob may fit in budget and heat wise

Hi McB,

As far as i know the chips are only available through:

RS Electronics

Mouser

DigiKey

I had a contact that use to work in imports, friend of a cousin, he helped me get my chips from Mouser fo cheaper than local prices. Not sure if he still works there, might need to make a few calls.

• Like 1

Nice man!
Was really interested with the Vero 29s when i made my lights, just couldn't get them cheap enough and couldn't find them locally. I ended going with 4 CXA2530s @600mA on PC Fan heatsinks. I'm now looking at upgrading my COBs to either better Cree's or some Citizen CLUs if i can find them cheap enough. My most limiting factor is the heatsinks.
Anyone know where i can get bar type finned heat sinks, similar to what GrowOpz has on his site but bigger?
https://growopz.com/collections/grow-lights/products/large-aluminium-heatsink-for-3w-leds
Have you looked on the mantech site?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, CG420za said:

Awe @Q9550, the okes are right with DIY's, growopz does well with his LED's but something so simple shouldn't have to cost you arms and legs.

looking at his single vero29 cob fixture and component pricing retail works out pretty similar assembled

3 minutes ago, CG420za said:

Personally, if you are able to construct it yourself, I would go with that option.

oh absolutely, that's first option. but sourcing all the components and waiting on shipping isn't my cup of tea. i have fluffy buds on my no 1 choice plant in veg.
moved my led panel over her but am now leaving my other lady at a disadvantage.

2x2m cannot be covered effectively by 2x 400w and a 360w led panel sadly, leaving me on the back foot.

i have reflector lamp and wiring, but the ballast pushes it out of reach and the added heat will kill my current ventilation

also, cooltubes suck balls, where does all my light go you tubular son of a cunt

Edited by McB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Q9550 said:

Hi McB,

As far as i know the chips are only available through:

RS Electronics

Mouser

DigiKey

I had a contact that use to work in imports, friend of a cousin, he helped me get my chips from Mouser fo cheaper than local prices. Not sure if he still works there, might need to make a few calls.

Digikey send direct to your door with UPS World Saver, I've never  had issues bringing in components.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CG420za said:

Awe @Q9550, the okes are right with DIY's, growopz does well with his LED's but something so simple shouldn't have to cost you arms and legs.

Would definitely prefer to do DIY, love that satisfaction of growing with something you built yourself, if only parts and components were a lot cheaper and easier available.

6 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Digikey send direct to your door with UPS World Saver, I've never  had issues bringing in components.

Have never used DigiKey but have heard good things, i got my chips from Mouser the last time and i think i paid around R150 each for 4x CXA2530's, U2 bin, 4000k CCT, the drivers from AliExpress and slapped the chips onto some intel pc heatsinks which i got from work for free.

@Trailblazer420 That looks like it could work for me, where did you get the antminer from? I'm running DIY Cree Cxa2530's on individual cpu heatsinks, would prefer to have all 4 on a single heatsink or maybe 2/2 split like yours above. lol yeah i have been burnt by mines a couple of times as well.

On 2nd thought, just had a look on google and those miners are kak expensive, anyplace i can get just the heatsinks or is it just a full miner for sale?

Edited by Q9550

I picked up a COB from Amazon a while back. It was one of the "Galaxy Hydro" lights. They have released a number of COB setups but most were not using any reputable chips. I picked up their 2018 Edition which came with 2x CREE CXA3070. Not quite as good as the CXB3590, but I've been impressed by what this little 110W draw light was able to achieve. I run it in an 80x80 tent.

I don't know if you guys know of the autocobs, the dude has a huge following in the autoflower community in the US, since he's quite active over on autoflower.net - but he ships to S.A and the lights are of great quality. The chips are Citizen CLU 48. 

• Like 1

Not a cob. But I reckon I have Frankensteined a decent clone light together.
2 cheap ass t8 1.2m 36w attachments.
Gutted one and combined
74w 15k lumens at 20cm

Forgot I have a 50w Chinese cob on an overkill heatsync. Will chuck that in too32be0e1f85b5d828b7a5be20382e518d.jpg

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk