COB LED Growers?

Q9550

13 hours ago, Trailblazer420 said:

I had 2 that don't work so I used them, works great for cooling... Not sure where to get a heatsink...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I managed to track them down, can be purchased from RS Electronics, the one i saw was R450

5 hours ago, SkunkPharm said:

Has anyone looked at lumileds?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I see a few guys on the international forums trying to grow with these. Have not done much research on them myself. Can you source them locally for cheap?

4 hours ago, trichomechaser said:

I picked up a COB from Amazon a while back. It was one of the "Galaxy Hydro" lights. They have released a number of COB setups but most were not using any reputable chips. I picked up their 2018 Edition which came with 2x CREE CXA3070. Not quite as good as the CXB3590, but I've been impressed by what this little 110W draw light was able to achieve. I run it in an 80x80 tent.

I don't know if you guys know of the autocobs, the dude has a huge following in the autoflower community in the US, since he's quite active over on autoflower.net - but he ships to S.A and the lights are of great quality. The chips are Citizen CLU 48. 

Yeah autocobs have some decent lights out, interesting choice of drivers being used. Makes the light look very professional.

@McB  The FrankenLED looks good, Once i get my grow tent i will convert the PC into a small cloner. This FrankenLED looks like a good cheap option to put into the PC, although i might need to cut it down to my required length.

Here is my setup, planning on joining two antminers and run 5 chips. Just be careful, LED burn is a real thing :) bd150d4358303780a1c1238946b663ba.jpg9b31163af9107a891a6455a6b8e33fdd.jpg924686bb354bc253ebcc164fbb049d2d.jpg0d91fb38cb070abcd242d7d7f8159eee.jpg

How does these chips work? Are you flowering under them? Do they run directly from AC power?

So i contacted AutoCobs yesterday and unfortunately he does not ship to SA anymore due to the high shipping costs.
There is an importer on another forum that may be able to help. Will get details

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How does these chips work? Are you flowering under them? Do they run directly from AC power?

They run straight from 220v. I haven't tried to flower under them yet... But coming soon :)

They're cheap ebay chips, takes about a month to get here, but they veg quite nicely. dae128f351ba63a967e8b325a80a2347.jpg08a0971e06a4e712487c48d236f7dc8c.jpg

• Like 1

[mention=1428]SkunkPharm[/mention] nice build man. How many watts are the lights? Got a link for the heatsink? Might be what I need. I saw one on rs electronics that I'm interested in as well. 
The white lights can out of a 50w Led spot light and the other chops are cheap 50w blurples running off AC power. So should pull 300w technically but could be wrong. It's 1m long and 50cm wide. Will run it for 30 minutes tomorrow and see it the fans and heatsinks are any good.

I think we have dwelled away from the fact that 'white' light is a combination of spectrums not a spectrum on its own.
The blurple revolution has rapidly eaten its words and moved back to cool warm configurations.
What standard white are you referring to?

• Like 1

Anyone used the cxb3070's. Looking at one on rs at the moment

Was looking at getting a few of these as well from rs. Would be nice to jave the cxb3590s though. I'm going to do a full cycle light. I saw a mars hydro 80x80x120 for R3000

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
I think we have dwelled away from the fact that 'white' light is a combination of spectrums not a spectrum on its own. The blurple revolution has rapidly eaten its words and moved back to cool warm configurations.

What standard white are you referring to?

I've been too lazy to respond to this statement, but here it goes. In my elementary knowledge of light spectrums, my understanding is that the reason for the brightness of the 'white' LED lights we can buy from any hardware store, is that the light spectrums invisible to our eyes have been removed and only visible spectrums remain. To me this means that your ie 50W white LED produces 50w of visible light (for humans) With that being said, plants can't see green light, we can't see UV or IR per se. The plants do however react under UV. Would the shortage of the missing light spectrums not have a negative impact on growth?  

• Like 1

I've been too lazy to respond to this statement, but here it goes. In my elementary knowledge of light spectrums, my understanding is that the reason for the brightness of the 'white' LED lights we can buy from any hardware store, is that the light spectrums invisible to our eyes have been removed and only visible spectrums remain. To me this means that your ie 50W white LED produces 50w of visible light (for humans) With that being said, plants can't see green light, we can't see UV or IR per se. The plants do however react under UV. Would the shortage of the missing light spectrums not have a negative impact on growth?  Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Howzit@trailblazer420, I grow with cobs. I don't know much about light spectrum, but as soon as I added a 150w HPS the plants seemed happier. It could be due to the UV and IR. But I'm no genius on the subject. So hopefully Apolloflux can shed some light on the subject.

Howzit[mention=1249]trailblazer420[/mention], I grow with cobs. I don't know much about light spectrum, but as soon as I added a 150w HPS the plants seemed happier. It could be due to the UV and IR. But I'm no genius on the subject. So hopefully Apolloflux can shed some light on the subject.  

What COB were you using? Plain white? IMHO, HID is perhaps still the way to go from a tried and tested perspective. I have a few 400w HID's, only issue is the heat and the power bill,which is why I've been dabbling with LEDs. Currently flowering a C99 out under 400W COB full spectrum (they claim) LEDs. I bought the chips on ebay and built the lights myself.  

My experience with plain hardware store bought 50W LED was not great. Very stretchy plants, whereas the full spectrum plants look much better.

06c56f3c49da796d3b3f5cc63d59313b.jpgf8d6c3d9e5aef9a57403c52fc20de615.jpg

I have some cobs from growopz. Bridgelux Vero 29 3500k X2(running at 50w) and then 1 x 150w shop front spotlight. This blue CBD auto has been flowering for 4 weeks now. I have another 4 autos under the lights and they all seem fine. How is your plant doing under those cobs?7376f748805b6e7f067bee02031ffe63.jpg

Aah, those won't be standard over the counter white cobs I'm sure.

Mine do very well while vegging, running my first flowering cycle under the LEDs, less than 2 weeks in, so will keep you posted. With any luck I'll have some potm competition worthy buds :) 6b9a8821f754ec763bc5e4af1e34f83e.jpg

• 2 months later...

Never new Cannabis growers are such tech geeks as well!!

Geez, I feel like such a noob here. I just came here because I wanted to know if COB LED's work well or not and whether they generate high yields... lol.

Then I get all these guys not only using COB's, but actually assembling them themselves and talking about technicalities that are waaay beyond my capacity. lol.

Geez, I feel like such a noob here. I just came here because I wanted to know if COB LED's work well or not and whether they generate high yields... lol.
Then I get all these guys not only using COB's, but actually assembling them themselves and talking about technicalities that are waaay beyond my capacity. lol.
HID will give you better 'bag appeal', but the full Spectrum LEDs seem to be doing their thig. Buds are big enough, plants seem more dense and quality is excellent.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Cobs give great yields. Especially if you only want to grow one or 2 plants. Below is an example of an cupboard grow. 2x CBX3590 cobs with passive heatsinks. Couple of fans. Only growing autos thus running the lights for 18 hours a day. Cost R250-300 a month. If you work it right you can harvest one plant a month for the rest of your life. 50-60 grams per plant.96426efca279f7e808f0b275b6514eb2.jpgb78e7dfd7799a1605253fc3975886d03.jpg

• Thanks 1