I'm back "soon". Grow tent advice needed

TheLazyFisherman

Morning all

Excited to be back very soon. I will be starting off small as space is limited, I miss my 2.4m x 1.2m tent

So going 60cm x 60cm. My intention is to run led during summer and hid in winter. I'm a big mars hydro fan but 1.4m in height with hid I don't know. The question is, is it worth skipping quality for a extra 30cm in height? I am planning to mostly or even exclusively grow autos.

e69dd6b97ab92f0d3fe52fa78f257945.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

electricity wise when using HID you paying for a heater that makes some light when half the wattage gets put out in heat, running a HID cost way more than LED so you not getting less light you just paying extra and getting more heat out of thw deal. where as with LED most of what you pay for is being pushed out in form of light. on the rating charts a bunch of the LEDs with the samsung diodes and meanwell drivers outcompete HID of the same wattage. just have to look for the right one. most commercial LEDs are still pretty shit so still very easy to buy the wrong one. 

if you going for the heat from the HID, it would just be a lot more practical and cost effective in the long run to get a higher quality LED and just grab one of those small fan heaters that have built in timers, just for the winter. I got one and it's almost overkill in my small space. I had to buy an additional timer, because the lowest setting -15min off 15min on- on the heater was too much. had to put it on 15min on every hour.

just a suggestion.

• Like 1

Much appreciated all. Yes like NP said. I had very low temps in the heart of winter even with hid as the tent was in my garage. It will be much better in the house and also will act as small heater for the house so the benefits will equal/outweigh the electricity cost for me in winter.

• Like 1

Much appreciated all. Yes like NP said. I had very low temps in the heart of winter even with hid as the tent was in my garage. It will be much better in the house and also will act as small heater for the house so the benefits will equal/outweigh the electricity cost for me in winter.

And the opposite for summer with hid. . My plants were stunted on all the hot days. No burning but there was no physical growth I could see on those hot days.

• Like 1

@Naughty.Psychonaut

The heater fan is exactly what I did with my last
grow. I still have the fan. I have an entry level
100w led for now. So will see how it goes, I didn't
buy the hid kit yet. Upfront cost wise I'm still
leaning towards hid at R2k for a complete 600w
kit until I can get myself a proper led light.

• Like 1

Howzit bud! Welcome back. I think that’s a great idea, I always wanted to experiment with HID during winter, makes a lot of sense to me. 

that environment in my mind will be very happy, if you got lights on at night type of vibe, then I don’t know how a 600w hid will manage in a 60 x 60, maybe 80 or best 1m2 

keen to see the grow, 🙏🏼👍🏻

• Like 1

Howzit bud! Welcome back. I think that’s a great idea, I always wanted to experiment with HID during winter, makes a lot of sense to me. 

that environment in my mind will be very happy, if you got lights on at night type of vibe, then I don’t know how a 600w hid will manage in a 60 x 60, maybe 80 or best 1m2 
keen to see the grow,
Thanks boet. Definitely not going to run it at 600 with such a small tent lol. It's a adjustable balast so thinking 250w will suffice for the small space... 400w max temperature depending#heater

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Just a question, @Naughty.Psychonaut

Take a 600w LED vs 600w HPS, both run 12 hours a day, will the 600w HPS cost you more money?

No. pulling the same amount of wattage from the wall for the same amount of hours gives you the same amount on the electricity bill. 

I wish it was just black and white though, but when concidering the output you are paying more for less, together with the speed of degredation from the HID bulbs and ballasts, trying to keep them cool so they don't run out too fast, if you wana add to that grab a proper light meter and let's get real sciency. 600w LED gona give you best output over a longer period of time with less maintenance. where as we all know why HID have to be maintained/replaced from time to time, cause the gradient is even steeper when looking at the PAR output over a longer time period. so do you pay more for less? yes 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Just a question, @Naughty.Psychonaut

Take a 600w LED vs 600w HPS, both run 12 hours a day, will the 600w HPS cost you more money?

The numbers answer that by default hehehe 600w pulls 600 watts, what ever consumption toy sits behind.. the LED 600 watts will just cover about double the area with enough light.. double the harvest, less heat to kill as they are now more then double efficient as a HID systems. Forget HID guys.. honestly.. the next advantage is that you can include into those diodes what ever frequency you want to add, low or high IR, UV versions, .. the goal is not to recreate the sun, that is last year tech, you want to shine on the ladies exactly what the ladies want.. and in the right intensity. The is the next big gimmick ^^ 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, thelazyfishermanza said:

My first run will be Seedsman Zkittlez auto, imported directly from them emoji16.png

Holding the grow in high hopes Mr.Fisherman 🍀 with autos it's one and done, no room for mistakes with those plants, no time to clone them either. I am still way too scared to try autos in fear of not doing everything 100% and ending up with only 10g. still very excited to see the grow 💪😁

• Like 1

Holding the grow in high hopes Mr.Fisherman with autos it's one and done, no room for mistakes with those plants, no time to clone them either. I am still way too scared to try autos in fear of not doing everything 100% and ending up with only 10g. still very excited to see the grow
Definitely scared myself but keen to learn and master it

• Like 2