How to get rid of WPM while in flower

wanna be dagga kop

• 4 months later...

Hey

I have had endless problems with WPM and have tried almost all so called fixes. 

What has worked for me is to try to eliminate root cause first otherwise you will constantly battle;

1. Decent extraction

2. Multiple Fans (blowing underneath the canopy as well as above. Don’t worry about wind burn. Crank the fans to max as long as they oscillate

3. Feed in the morning rather than evening

4. Avoid plant leaves touching each other. Prune if you have to

5. Prune bottom ⅓ before flip to flower

6. Invest in a dehumidifier if budget allows

Treatment:

I use 50% Hydrogen Peroxide mixed at a ratio of 60ml to 940ml plain water (1L total volume). This will give you a 3% concentration which is relatively mild.

Wear gloves and a dust mask, switch off the main lights (do 1 hour before lights off, depending on qty of plants), switch off fans but keep extraction going.

Spray each plant, completely top to bottom, literally drench the plant. Take it a bit easier on the buds, but it’s ok if you spray them. Work methodically and don’t miss a spot.When complete, switch fans on max so the plants will be dry before lights come back on (water spots will create burn marks on the leaves)

Repeat above process on day 3 to catch any spots you might have missed. If WPM is still hanging around a few places, repeat again

Although this mix is mild, avoid contact with your skin. If you do get some on your skin, water and soap will fix it. 

It will most likely burn the pistils but that’s not really a big deal. I haven’t found that this affects smoke or aroma/taste of the finished product

I found about a 80% improvement the following day after the 1st treatment. Follow up spray is important to try to break the cycle.

Loadshedding always creates a WPM rich environment. No air movement and high RH are perfect for WPM. Try to get some air movement in your grow area while power is off, where possible

Sorry for the long post, but this is by far the best treatment I have experienced to deal with the issue

Bud Wash:

1 x bucket with warm water. Add Hydrogen peroxide at the same ratio as above (60:940) 

1 x bucket Lemon Juice & BiCarb

1x bucket cold water

Submerge for a few minuets in each bucket in that order. Rinse off with gentle spray, I use hose with gentle spray, and it will wash away a big amount of WPM. 

I swing the branches to remove excess water, then hang straight away

Good luck with the fight man, it’s a major pain in the ass and can ruin your buds, but hopefully this helps 💪🏻

• Like 1
  • Fire! 2

Tenazole 👹

But for real, you get WPM once then you do everything to prevent it in future. I even just today swapped out a 4 inch extractor to a 6 inch because since the beginning of Spring the little 4 inch hasn't been able to pull enough moisture out my one tent. 

I am also currently contemplating adding more plants to my space but again, with WPM in mind, I don't want to overload the amount of foliage and plant perspiration in the tent. 

Which leads to the next point, defoliate! You can get away with pretty much removing every big fan leaf from every major stem/branch of your plant, especially before the flip. 

Then ventilation, I now always have a top fan for the canopy and a bottom fan blowing just above pot level. 

Lastly, I try cleaning everything in my tents after harvest. The walls of the tent, the floor, the blades of every fan and the tops of the LEDs. You can have spores in your tent just waiting for the right conditions to hit, and they won't grow unless those conditions are met (high temp/humidity) but why risk it. Fresh start always feels good. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I work with pm, I dream of pm, I wake up in the am to pm. 🤣

Airflow. PM is always around, its watching your every step, they like a vaalie cousin, always comes down to see you in time for Xmas,Summer,sea and sand. It just needs the right recipe ( RH and stale air ) and its activated. SO I think the trick is to have a couple fans, and like @The_StonedTroopersaid, make sure every leaf moves in the wind.  Pm for me usually starts on the lower leaves, so I am putting a fan on oneside below the canopy and on the other side above the canopy. That has helped for us.

Funny enough, due to PM I did this course in conjunction with two other growers this week, its helped alot in many ways. The instructor in this course has been involved in the setup of several of our local legal cannabis facilities. 

In this four-part course, Cannabis pro Cameron Bravmann teaches you how to approach IPM in a professional market. With valuable information on strategy,identification of pests and disease, treatment, and prevention, Cameron explains these concepts and lays out the best practices for implenting an IPM program in a commercial cannabis facility.

https://growersnetwork.org/courses/commercial-cannabis-ipm-integrated-pest-management/

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 2
  • Fire! 2