Light Cycles

donnob

Winter definitively lights on at night , helps with the heat at night and during the day with lights of it's ok if temps are 18-22.
Summer , I run the same otherwise to hot during the day with lights on

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Below is my normal schedule:

Veg
20:00 ON
14:00 OFF

Flower

20:00 ON
08:00 OFF

I find this works very well for Gauteng. My grows are in the garage, so in summer, the day is very hot, and the night a bit cooler. So most of the light on time is at night to compensate for heat. And then in winter its coldest at night, so again, thats when I run the lights to provide some extra warmth.

The more ideal times would be around  18:00 and not 20:00 to leverage  more of what I am saying above, but this makes watering/feeding/tending etc. more difficult, so I adjust it slightly.

Edited by Live Canna
  • Like 1

should flower not be 

20:00 ON

08:00 OFF 

I run LEDs with very little heat, but still pushes the temps up by 5°C or so depending on given situation, I live in the Boland where it goes up to 45°C in the peak of summer. If I ran my light up till 14:00 in the afternoon, veg or flower, I will be toasting my plants 😅 

I have to try working around this, which leaves me with a no brainer. I look at the hottest time of day then work back from there, during veg you got 18hrs on and I have to avoid the hours between 11:00 and 15:00, because that's really the hottest times of the day. My options are - 

1. Lights come on at 15:00 when the day starts to cool down, is on for 18 hours and goes off at 09:00 the next morning. 

2. Lights come on at 17:00 and stays on till 11:00 just before the day really heats up. 

For the plants option 1 will mean that their hottest time of day will be when the lights just come on, option two will mean that their hottest time of day will be at the end of their light cycle, which is closer to how it is in nature and this is why I went with option 2. 

• Like 1